Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: European prospects born 97'

Atic, all I know was that he showed problematic behaviour few years ago during Bosnia's U16 national team camp and got excluded from the squad, and above all that he didn't pass medical examinations at Real Madrid and Cedevita Zagreb due to a heart condition. Apart from that, he is a very good player for his age.
    Last edited by serbianhoops; 03-19-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Vlatko Čančar (97', 201cm, SF) signed a 5 years deal with Olimpija Ljubljana!
    Mesiček will be able to sign his first pro contract in a month. Hopefully smart enough not to get lured to some Armani Milano, or God forbid Unicaja Malaga or such...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Charalampopoulos, in an uneven game, had 18 PIR yesterday against CSKA.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/resul...asoncode=E2014

Mesiček ended up as the best scorer and 2nd best in valorization in Slovenian 2nd division. Not really some astonishing level there, however I don't remember an U18 years old player achieving that.
    21.1 PPG, 59.8% F2, 40.8 % F3, 82.4 % FT, 4 RPG, 2.8 APG, 20.2 RKG in 33.12 minutes

Within the next few days Olimpija will have an 1 month edge over the competition to try to sign him long term, just as with Čančar, place in the first team is basicaly guaranteed than.
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Egehan Arna of Fenerbahçe Ülker is one of the interesting talents of our 97' generation. His style doesn't look similar with any kind of Turkish player. Tall, good passer, good penetration skills, solid shooter,court vision and good ball handling skills. He played as PG in the latest Turkish youth championships but this year he played sometimes as SG and SF in regional league. He performed very well in regional league where Fenerbahçe's best young players play for Fenerbahçe B team. They are playing with older players and get hard physical contacts that make them more tough for the future.

He has problem with finding his right position. He is getting taller day to day and can't find his right position. He has good hands to play as PG but as far as I know he is more than 2.00 m and when we consider the fact he will get over his height, it would be better if he can change into a SF or SG according to his physical tools. This is a big problem for young players and we see the same situation into Tolga Geçim(1996). He also struggles with finding the most beneficial position for himself. Let's look at the bright side then, if he plays as SF in the future, he will be able to handle the ball and we will have a new player who is similar with Emir Preldzic in ball handling ability. One thing that I like about his game, he knows to pass the ball. Everyone can pass the ball but you need to do something different to make yourself distinguish from the usual. Arna is doing this regularly. Whenever I think, there is no pass channel in hard situations, he finds the right man, right time. This is one of the good stuffs from unique players. His first step is already efficient and that makes him to pass his opponent easily when he starts to drive through the board. Good penetration skill thanks to his first step and long leg length. He is also successful to find his teammates through penetration. He is thinking fast, on lay-up always looking around to find somebody else. If he can't find, then finishes the positions with high rate. Good finisher. He is using left hand, his shooting percentage is not that good but it is because of he shoots too much in regional league. This is the result of his role in team. Ömer Faruk Yurtseven and Egehan Arna the first two score options in Fenerbahçe B team and they have to shoot the ball doesn't matter how, in some of positions. That decreases his percentage but this doesn't mean he is a bad shooter. In Junior Euroleague games, he was the hero of most of the games and made lots of crucial threes. Another good thing for Egehan, he is active in hustles and rebounds. Even though he played as guard, he grabbed most of the rebounds and has a good rebound statistic for a guard which is 5,6 per game. Most of the rebounds that he grabs are the ones that bounced to painted area. He is earning his bread in that area. His good rebound skill makes me think he really should play as SF in the future.

The negative points of him is his defense for sure. He can't defend some of the quick guys because his feet are not that quick to defend someone who is too mobile. He needs to improve his quickness if he wants to remain in this position. If he wants to play SF, he needs to gain strength. That's why he is the meat in the sandwich. He needs to decide his position firstly and after that needs to work on the priorities of his position. I don't really want this guy to be wasted. He is a special talent and I hope, next year he will get some minutes from Obra. He is enough talent when I think; Kenan Sipahi plays for Fenerbahçe Ülker. He still has lots of times to improve and shape his game.

If he gains strength, this guy will definitely be a NBA material. European basketball needs a special player like him and Turkish basketball does.

Probably Stephen Curry saw my post and decided to invite Egehan Arna to his private camp. Egehan Arna and few other young talents will work with Stephen Curry this summer. This will be a great experience for him.

Furkan Korkmaz will shatter a record by playing in different national team levels this summer. U18, U19, U20 and Senior NT. Both of the NT coaches declared their interests for Korkmaz.

Quote Originally Posted by slice me nice View Post
    Furkan Korkmaz will shatter a record by playing in different national team levels this summer. U18, U19, U20 and Senior NT. Both of the NT coaches declared their interests for Korkmaz.
    I think there's rule that one player can't play for more than 2 teams during one summer

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    I think there's rule that one player can't play for more than 2 teams during one summer
    Nope, they can play more than 2 teams. There were already some players who played in U18, U19 and Senior National Team.

Nope, they can play more than 2 teams. There were already some players who played in U18, U19 and Senior National Team.
    Maybe it changed then. I remember Valanciunas or Motiejunas wasn't allowed to play for 3rd few years back

Ante Toni Zizic finished season in Croatia A1 league with 13.6 pts, 6.7rb, and 1,7bl. He itruduced him self to pro level with huge steps and if he continiue ike that we can expect him to become great player in short period of time.
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Mesiček highlights from this season

Papagiannis went from #1 ranked pick at Eurohopes to #15 in one year. Yikes.

http://www.eurohopes.com/rankings/1997

Enes Taskiran (SG) of Turkey truly impressed me during the current u18. He's not flashy but smart and clutch player, also a reliable scorer. Actually the most consistent player of our NT so far. He plays for Besiktas, so I expect Slice to come an write a piece on him.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Yeah Levenspiel, sure Well certainly he is a late bloomer. He was in the shades of Korkmaz and Arna in this generation. Slowly slowly he has started to leap himself to forward. He is a pure talent but mostly I like his mental toughness. A winner character that doesn't like to lose. All his expressions indicate this to us. Generally in this age group, many pure talents disappear mostly because of the mental immaturity but Taşkıran has enough sensitiveness for his career that I reckon from my experiences. If we talk for this tournament, he is way more efficient than Korkmaz. He has everything in his game and he is doing all those stuffs without being so flashy like you have said.

Beside his intangibles, I like his way of playing. He doesn't avoid physical contact in his penetrations, he drives towards the basket with full determination, that's why he gets a lot of hoop and harm from those drives. Really great penetrating player and his quick first step is a big advantage for his play. Generally passes his opponent with this way. There are few players in this generation who can guard him when he decides to play isolation for example. Reliable isolation player thanks to athleticism. We call him ''Mini Bo-McCalebb'' as Beşiktaş fans because he had showed some good examples from Bo during the last season. He impressed me a lot this season. Even though I find him shooting mechanism a little bit problematic, he is quite effective mid range shooter. I don't know how he is doing this thing but really effective especially in that range. As we see in this U18 tournament, he uses his shot when he finds an opportunity. He is the secret leader of team. He is a kind of combo guard and shows us his passing skills in this tournament. Not a fancy passer but definitely gives the right passes. For example we don't say ''There, there pass the ball there'', when the ball is in hands because I know he will find the right man. He is finding right man on his penetrations. Especially the agility and passing skill of Taşkıran is the biggest weapon of our team here. Btw, his athleticism doesn't consist of just agility and pace. He jumps great for a this type of player and thanks to this skill, he collects the rebounds from pool. I see the same specialty from the another guard Ömer Utku Al. These players have great feeling for rebounds even though they are guards. His defensive play targets the pressure on ball, and he minimizes the efficiency of opponent's guard. Quick hands, great possession knowledge in D (maybe the best one in our team). Beside his weak body, the other tools of his body are great. I mean he has wide wingspan and broad shoulders that lead him to steal the ball, if he can't, at least he disturbs the set game of opponent.

Naturally, he has some weaknesses. Dribbling and safety of ball are problematic here. He can't set the bounce highth of ball. That's why in some possessions, he is in hurry to start penetration instead of keeping the ball in his hands. He needs to improve his dribbling. He doesn't seem relax when the ball in his hands. He doesn't feel like a PG but he has to play as PG in this NT because of the wrong selection of coach. Maybe this experience will add some values to his game who knows. If he could have better ball handling skill, it would be much easier for him to be more creative. Also shoots from behind the arc is not so good. Not bad but if he wants to play in higher level, he should shoot threes day n night. Physical power is also another issue for him. He is thin but has great body. At least if he put weight on, he will have superb strong body. That will make him an explosive player since he likes too much driving towards the basket.

He will take some minutes this season under the coaching of Dettman. If he uses this opportunity well, we can see him as the key player of Beşiktaş and NT incoming years. He is all around player but should know his deficiencies to take actions. It is good for him to be not flashy since we have already seen some players turn into disappointing prospects mostly because of snob attitudes.

Vassilis Charalampopoulos. I don't know where to start actually. I am impressed a lot during the U-18 tournament. Both his way of playing on the floor and dedication to his team are type of things which are notable for a player at this age. He has urge for embracing his team that automatically makes him leader born player. I really like some names from Greek youth teams but Chara is the special one and last one who seems to fail in the future. As far as I can see, his mental toughness is enough for senior level. At least doesn't avoid taking responsibilities and knows his role in team. When Greeks need something, he takes the helm and set the course of game. With this determined character he is actually out of bounds of being loser. This is what teams need from a prospect. Determined character and self confidence. In previous tournament, it was obvious that he really enjoys this game much and leading his team through his mental and physical aspects. At the end he wore the gold medal to his neck which was the cream on the cake.

His biggest advantage is his strong body for this level. If he can manage to add more muscles for senior level, it will be so meaningless to discuss whether he is ready for senior level or not. He knows to use his body effectively. His slaloms with ball are quite effective and easily chop around his body when he drives. This is a big advantage for him since he has this type of strong and a little bit hard seeking body. He is a good post up player, knows to get right position on right time because sometimes we see how some players want to play post up games but can't manage to perform it. Chara is not one of them and always one step ahead of his opponent in offense. That's why I had said before, he is a type of guy for locking up. You can minimize his efficiency but can't completely cut him off. Even though he experienced some tough individual defenses, somehow he managed to be efficient thanks to his high basketball vision on floor. When he realizes that it is getting harder to score, in order to spread the pressure on him, he gives some killer passes which makes his teammates put on airs. This sounds so familiar. Yeah Diamantidis style. Maybe he watched him a lot and got his skills together. He is a must guy to make his teammates to play in their maximums. Everything seems easier with him. Even those flashy passes look so ordinary from his hands. This guys has feeling for the game. You can teach shooting ball and passing ball however this feeling is an innate ability that can't be learned throughout the time. One notable thing about his game is that he raises his head up when he plays post up or P&R plays for seeking his teammates in right position. That really impressed me because he is like a navigator and knows exactly where his teammates are. That's why he always has a B plan on floor. If he can't find right opportunity to score, he finds the one who can do it. His assist/turnover ratio is a little bit problematic but it was not because he is awkward, but his teammates hadn't expected those passes. A SF/PF mixture who can pass the ball in the way of creativeness is what most teams need in Euroleague.

Beside his elegant leadership and passing ability, this guy is great behind the arc. He appeared as a reliable scorer who has a little bit everything from anything in offensive dimension. He shoots the ball in great percentages. His shooting mechanism leads him to shoot the balls in every circumstance. Even though he is under pressure, somehow he throws the ball to the basket. He can create his own shoot though he doesn't have so quick first step. If you will ask me how does he do it, because of his long his arm span, and good mechanism, he find a possession after one or two crossover or penetration attempts. Off screen shots, pop shots and set shots are in his repertoire. Especially, off screen shots make him so valuable for his position. That's a kind of answer who thinks he is extremely slow and can't cope with high pressure defense in senior level

He has a great rebound skill for his position. A typical triple double performances guy. He occupies a huge place in the painted are and collects the rebounds well. Even though another good Greek prospect Papagiannis was good at rebounds and almost didn't miss the dropped rebounds, Chara had collected a notable number of rebounds in some games. He is very active on boards instead of taking nap in chaos.

When we look at his defensive skills, it appears as a little bit problematic part. He is not bad at D but against some type of players, he looked kinda lost. Some athletic, fast and agile player gave some hard times to him. His first step is slow which prevents him to guard those athletic forwards. There is no problem at belly up defenses however in face to face situations, he struggles to guard his opponent. He needs to quicker feet. That's a kind of deficiency in his game but still by time, he can rely on this. When he is good at one aspect of defensive game, he can't be bad at another aspect. He should be more reliable defensive player.

I am pretty sure that he will be a great Euroleague player. He has high basketball IQ like his team captain and I can't wait to see him against senior level players where he shined in some games this year. About NBA, I don't see him as a successful NBA material. His skills are great for European basketball mentality but his maximum is bench warmer for NBA. I already think that he will stay in Europe for years instead of wasting his time in NBA. Under these conditions, these are the things that I find out from his game. If he can have sustainable development, even in NBA, he can be splash and ride high.

What a year for Atić. He is the only player this year choosen in both All Tournament Team of the U18 Euroleague and U18 European Championship.

22 points vs Zalgiris in the Euroleague
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJzL-rPLtI

28 points vs Spain in the European Championship
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unqZGNmJ0Ck

No U18 anymore for him, now it's time to turn professional.

Thread needs to be renamed to 'Prospects from Ex-Yugoslavian countries with a couple random greeks mixed in'. Joking of course. So many talented young players from the Balkans.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    One now. Obradovic

Radonjic is from Montenegro, Duda is retired Why bother him with this, he is Croatian
    The second part of the post was unrelated to the first.

5 months is a quite optimistic prediction. He has no chance after the first game of Papagiannis under Kings jersey. Selecting a player 13th overall when he was projected as a late second round draftee is the joke of the year. DeMarcus Cousins will try different fantasies on him.
    There were articles in Greece before the draft saying he was doing very well in his practices with teams and was going to get picked early.

I know I saw him play a few minutes in the finals against Milutinov who is also a "talented young european big" and a few years older than him and Papagiannis looked like Hakeem.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    There were articles in Greece before the draft saying he was doing very well in his practices with teams and was going to get picked early.

I know I saw him play a few minutes in the finals against Milutinov who is also a "talented young european big" and a few years older than him and Papagiannis looked like Hakeem.
    Actually those pre-draft workouts don't have much influence on the decision of GMs. The performance there is just helping the decision makers to make the final cuts in their minds. Even if Papagiannis would play like Shaq, there is still no way, he can be a Top-15 draftee in a draft class where Ante Zizic was selected 23rd overall and Ivica Zubac 32nd overall. That's just a stupid decision. Both Zizic and Zubac have been much much better players than Papagiannis throughout their short careers. Everyone who follows youth basketball knows what kind of a meaningless draft shot it was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast