European prospects born 95'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
    I also don't think those mock draft sites are reliable. Their first 5 pick selections are generally right after but everyone can guess who will be in top 5 selection. Those sites are nothing special. They treat European players like second class basketball players so it is a little bit normal Osman is placed in very late pick there. My prediction is Osman will be selected in first round because he is an ambitios guy and can give his maximum in work outs this summer. His stats are too close to Hezonja's stats but Hezonja's mediatic attitudes and flashy athleticism makes him more suitable than Osman. I also find Hezonja better player than Osman although there is no big differences between them.
    Osman is a fast break monster, his agility, pace and anticipation through fast break makes him great. He also has u 20 MVP title that is considered as an advantage in selections.
    He will be 25th pick and my sixth sense tells me 76ers will select him :P
    I contributed to some of those sites a long time ago. It's practicaly impossible to get it all straight.

First of all the teams needs are a big questionmark, some are obvious, some are misleading and others change even during the draft night, which for most organisation is a complete adrenaline rush mad-house day. You just can't predict Suns for example are that worried about re-signing Bledsoe that they're actualy going to draft a PG because of it.
    Than there the team's philosophy differs from one front office to another, some want players that can contribute, some prefer athletes, another gamble on potential
    Even if guys running those sites are incredibly well informed as it's every managers interest to get facts straight with them on daily basis, as ussual there are lots of smoke screens, bluffing...
    And at the end of the day it's also very human to be wrong from time to time Potential afterall is a matter of a personal taste.

One thing you can rely on with draft sites is definately players worth when compared by groups and getting sorted out through "talent", "contributor", "half of everythin", "good at one thing" etc tags. They're actually really good at it. The ammount of basketball games Jonathan Givony (Draftexpress) watched at some point is probably unmatched, must be among worldwide top10 record, i'm dead serious. And that shows. But it's impossible to be 100% accurate and with various teams doing mistakes, there is no need to explain draft sites will fail as well at some points. To be honest, at those times when I really paid attention to the draft, I got a feeling some of the NBA teams are actualy the ones with amateur moves. Hard to imagine or explain, but nevertheless.

There is a thing with european guards and the NBA draft. First of all not many guards succed and almost half of those that did were San Antonio's domain (Parker, Ginobili, Dragič, Udrih) at the draft day anyway. An average college athlete is more physicaly developed entering the draft, physicaly peaking a bit later hurts the draft stock, but whichever euro will have Hezonja's athleticism, there is no fear about being treated on equal terms with the college prospects - in case a player from college doesn't excell with athleticism, he drops significatly in the draft as well. With the euro bball developing more into the athletic way, that'll change with time. I'm sometimes frustrated by some of the euro players missed, by my opinion, but than again, we are all witnessing just how well some of those 2nd rounders or undrafted americans are when they come to europe later. At one point I believed that the gap is closing, while in fact it's at least staying at the same level if not actualy increasing. I don't think NBA teams are all that anti-euro biased actualy, even if some of that bias remains due to stupidity of some NBA teams in their search for the next Dirk, Gasol, Kirilenko that were supposedly growing on trees at that time.

However as far as Osman goes, yeah... they'll be conservative in their judgement untill they see him at the predraft workouts, got his measurements first hand, talk straight with the man about his plans, situation in europe, get a psycho profile on him etc.
    The thing with these draft predictions is that they're getting more accurate with the every week leading towards the draft.

I'm not too much of a fan of Chad Ford though, as far as college prospects he is okay, but back in the days not only he never had an idea of some european prospects untill he has seen them accidentaly at some pre-draft workouts, but he never actualy had an interest in them to begin with. Not paying attention costed him overhyping some hilarious names, Tskitishvilli if I remember correctly was one of them where he failed miserably and as an authority on the draft contributed significantly to the hype, without knowing what exactly he is talking about, repeating what the others have said instead of finding out stuff on his own. As a result instead of trying to pay some attention and move out of his college-hoops comfort zone, he turned to a bitter anti-euro campaign as if he resented european prospects for failing so bad on them. I still resent him a bit for that as his writings had an immense impact on the fans becoming increasingly pissed on front offices drafting european players and consequently that had an impact on NBA draft. Players as Osman receive a conservative evaluation due to it, not an unfair one, but some teams when in doubt might prefer passing on an euro, partialy Ford had contributed to it.
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 04-18-2015, 03:02 PM.
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Nice post JPF, I have been following all these draft sites that are mentioned here regularly. Most of the times they made a lot of mistakes about the interpretations of European players' skills. I even saw a comment about Kanter that was saying '' Kanter is a guy whose defense is tough like great wall of China'' on 2009. It was probably on draftexpress

I am pretty sure those site owners' watch a lot games about the prospects but I also think, it is hard to say they are much into following European basketball. Some of the comments are so basic there, and the ones who read those sites generally can't have an idea about the real abilities of players. The reports of American players are more detailed(even the name of their mothers and fathers, what they like to do, favourite food, favourite color :P), but even some of the European players have no highlight videos that is weird for a draft site.

I am still following those sites because it is fun to see how some players improved themselves and get more attention from people. Jonas Valanciunas was second round pick in 2008 but incrementally he had came to top 5 picks in these sites. Another example is İzzet Türkyılmaz. I don't know if you have ever heard his name, but he was drafted around late second round and almost none of the draft sites predicted this pick. As you said, surprises make this draft night enthusiastic.

I would like to follow a site that is much into European prospects and watching them on court in real. There are a lot of differences between watching a player with naked eyes and watching them from videos. NBA teams do care players' mental attributes as much as physical tools. Most of the draft steals were the result of untalented scouts who couldn't evaluate the mental tools of players. Ginobili is a great steal for example. He did pretty good job for a 57th pick. If I would be a NBA scout, instead of drafting problematic talented guy, I would draft a average talented driven guy. For achieving big things, every kind of player needs for a team. Some of the teams draft a player who has star ego but actually a bench warmer in second round. It makes their jobs harder. How will the coach manage all the non driven egos in dressing room? Therefore I think, they evaluate European players' mentality in a wrong way. They even don't follow them much. Just reports that are come from second hand info.

Euro basketball has been changing day by day, we have more players who has physical tools like college basketball players and even more players whose main activity is using his athleticism. Osman is one of them. Not a superb athlete like Hezonja but still can impress every scout there.

Btw, I used my sixth sense for predicting Osman's draft place but it led me to wrong. 76ers will probably will win the draft lottery and will draft Hezonja.
      My updated prediction(just for fun) for Osman is : 25th pick and Golden State Warriors
      Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
      Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

I just checked it and it turns out you're right, draftexpress got worse at the coverage of european players. Markoishvili (poster here at IBN) was doing a great job for them not that long ago in that department.

Yeah, there are some players that get overlooked, Ginobili was definately the case there, that happens fast. Osman is by no means a bad athlete, quite the opposite. Haven't watched him enough at senior level to make some deep judgements about him though

One of the things I'm not yet decided on weather I agree or disagree with it is NBA mentality to look for players that stand out at one department while being relatively average in others, instead of an all-round good players that don't do anything extraordinary but are solid in every aspect. They're changing that mentality slowely, players are becoming much more all-round regardless the position, however compared to euro basketball there still is a difference in that aspect of bball mentality. And some teams are making their draft decision based on that difference. Indiana signs an superb shooter such as Rudež, yet isn't interested in Manuchar Markoishvili that is a much more all-round player, as an example.
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Xavi Pascual is definitely harming Hezonja’s career. This guy can really contribute lots of things on the court in limited minutes. I am not much into Spanish league, I mean I don’t watch the games but my eyes are on stats, what I see from Euroleague games is Hezonja doesn’t look happy at all in Barcelona. Pascual doesn’t even think that he is not that promising player.(maybe)Because there is no reasonable explanation about his attitudes towards Hezonja.

Personally, I am against of the latest fashion in basketball. The fashion that most of promising players are scooped up by powerhouses. Yeah, it is logical to accept offers and hard to decline most of the opportunities. Barcelona, Madrid, Olympiacos, Panathinaikos and CSKA have started to invest on young players incrementally. They have better facilities, good media coverage and reputation, better training opportunities (individual coaches, disciplined work conditions etc..) and also it is acceptable for a NBA dreaming player since most of the NBA scouts firstly dig in talents in powerhouses.

My point is different. I really wonder what would be happen if Hezonja would spend this season in middle class European team like Efes, Laboral or Kaunas. I probably would talk about how great Hezonja is instead of complaining about his career decision. As I see, Hezonja is a guy who has high self confidence (in some cases unnecessary high confidence), and this feature of him sometimes damage him mentally. Most of the commentators strike a balance on his mental weakness and weird body expressions on the court. He thinks he deserves more minutes in crucial games (which is 100% correct in my side also), that’s why he looks unhappy on the court most of the times.

His choice doesn’t seem good to me, he could have got more attention from people, if he would have played in middle class team. When we look at all flashy talents of European basketball who has represented Europe well until now, we will see most of them except few exceptions are schooled and got their experiences from middle class teams. He is a really unique talent and he needs to play more and more to show us his potential. Those big clubs can help them to get through to great careers but it sounds not a great probability to me. That’s why I think he made a kind of mistake by insisting on staying in Spain.

I don’t know whether he will stay in Spain next year or not, but if I were him, I try my chance in NBA. The flowing set offenses can transform him into a monster. That’s what he wants. The most suitable European prospect among all age categories, I hope he will learn to control his mental issues.
          Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
          Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Nike Hoop Summit report:

After struggling to shoot it consistently during the week leading up to the game, Buza knocked down both of his triples, one a step back off the dribble and another deep three of the spot up variety. Buza didn't' play at ton but gave the World Team size and shooting at the wing spot. He shoots it a bit flat but made it work on Saturday, which he'll need to continue to do moving forward to give him a consistent skill to go along with his physical tools. Buza committed a bad turnover in traffic as his limited ball skills clearly showed. But given his size and potential as a shooter, Buza could hear his name called in the second round of the NBA Draft in the future.

http://www.draftexpress.com
            New video:
            Due to his elegance and imagination, Mirza Delibasic was one of the continent's greatest ever players.

Comment

After one of NBA scouts watched his game in Abdi İpekçi Arena, Cedi Osman's mock draft ranking came to 34th from 47th in just one week on NBAdraft.net. This guy will be the steal of 2015 NBA draft.

It is a common vision that some of the draft sites have close relations with some of the NBA scouts.
              Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

@slice me nice, good post about Hezonja.
                I can't claim Barcelona or Real wouldn't have a top notch youth programs, they improved tremendously as far as organisation goes within the last 10-15 years after seeing how Benneton Treviso managed their school and upgrading it with their football youth programs experience.
                However that questionmark, what exactly is the best thing for the player, remains.
                In Hezonja's case it's in my opinion not all that clear, he definately had the top notch training enviroment, while we could rightfully say, he'd deserve some regular minutes even in euroleague this very season if it wasn't for the fact that Barcelona is stacked. The way I see it, when it comes to that top-notch talent, which Hezonja definately is, practicing along Navarro, Oleson and the rest of Barca's perimeter also leaves some impact, some less talented player would probably be left with less time within his game to observe and adopt those good stuff, as he'd have more troubles coping with basic, but for a top notch talent I think that's some welcome contribution to it's development.

Barca, Real buy the best potential in Europe they can and I have troubles understanding them sometimes. With some players as Hakkanson, Sulejmanović, Todorović it's obvious that nevermind their good talent, they won't crack the team before the age of 22-24, just when their contract expires and Barca is conservative with their minutes accordingly, ending up going with Satoransky that was Sevilla's product instead, as they are rich enough to sign anyone who prooves himself in ACB anyway and don't depend on succes of their youth programs.
                When it comes to the likes of Hezonja, Šarić or such caliber, they once again profit little from developing those as they're likely to go to NBA, before contributing to their team and there are very few cases in between, I get the feeling those are mostly native players. This way such signings, even if I don't entirely believe in that logic, really do seem more of an attempt to weaken their opponents than anything else, as funny as that sounds. Imagine Hezonja making it big in... Joventut at the age of 20 for example along with some other talents

One interesting thing I've read recently, from Saša Dončič on why he let his son to Madrid at the age of 14, among the stuff he said was something in the lines of: "he gets to learn the way of life and mentality from the best, be it Real's football or basketball players and learn basketball from few of the best players in Europe. In Slovenia in this particular moment, I think he doesn't have anyone to learn from." With exceptional talents, I do get this kind of logic there.

The regular problem are the parents of talented players, that believe their kids are exceptional talents when in fact they might lack some stuff to be marked as such at the global level and the managers that have their own interests on their mind which sometimes put the optimal development of a player aside, to some extent.
                Extraordinary talent as Hezonja, will crack the lineup, while good talent "only" will have increasingly harder path there, but parents rarely see it that way and if the player himself wouldn't believe he can crack the rotation, he wouldn't be exactly confident and competitive person to reach such stage to begin with
                and there comes the dissapointment, especialy when some of the clubs are considered of equal quality, while their results clearly indicate they've failed with majority of youth projects.
                That's how I get a headache reading about Mešiček and Milano a while back (I know he is 97' born, not 95, but fits the dillema perfectly), apart from Milano failing from developing just about any youth player in recent history, he won't steal Gentile's minutes (and he is not going anywhere), while needless to say they might as well stack some Amadeo Della Valle or some other talented, older Italian guard in front of him and he'll be practicing happily ever after.

One point every young player and their parent should also understand. Getting a 100k € offer per season from a small club and 100k € from a big club, isn't equal. For a small team that financial obligation is kind of forcing them to play the kid and make something out of him, as for the big club, they can afford paying that just in case he makes it big and are by no means dependend on the kid or his development - while the managers tend to strongly prefer the big club in that case because it makes their job easier the next time they negotiate a new contract, and makes them look a whole lot better allround. And being dependend on the kids development is a big thing. Playing minutes without some meaningfull role in the team is a whole lot different than being given responsibility on court.

f*** I can't even keep it short

Comment

@JPF, I am agree with those players up to a point. Doncic. He is too young and will get incomparable benefits from the training. For 15 years old player, playing aside Navarro makes his vision clear. In mental points, he will have a feeling that he is enough good to be like Navarro in future and for a 15 years old kid, a quality training is a better discipline than playing in a game. He wrestles physically stronger guys, makes observation about their games, tries to do their tricks(maybe the floppy tricks from Rudy ) and special moves of his teammates at this early age. The high quality training is crucial for his development in both mentally and physically.

But, the situations of 20 years old players and 15 or 16 years old players are completely different. 20 years old prospect should have finished his physical development in 90%. There should be lots of things in his to do list, like gaining experience, getting better shooting options in a game, dribbling tips, defensive moves, offensive moves, finding the right passing channels, interaction with teammates, mental toughness etc.. On the other hand, 16 years old player probably doesn't complete the maturity in his game. Most of the players try to decide whether they are playing in the right position or not in this age. Even this one is a case for this age. In this case, the experience of staff is playing a great great great vital role on the development of player. Therefore most of the families choose those powerhouses to ensure that their sons are in the right place for his development. I can understand their concerns. It is not a problem if their 16 years old sons don't take minutes in one of the best competitive leagues in the world. Spanish league. This prospect can play in U18 team and if his physical tools are good enough for U20 team, he can gain experience from this team and his family doesn't mark any complaint about the development of their sons. He still has time in front of him, he is playing in Madrid oh what a great life and the everyone around them says this guy will be a superstar.

What's one the other side? Yeah Hezonja. 20 years old flashy prospect. There is tons of differences in the evaluation of 95' born and 99' born guy. If I will evaluate a 20 years old guy, first I will have a look at how many minutes has he played this season. Everybody has an eye on him and a quality training means nothing for this kind of a player. Top notch training does matter of course but the most important thing that helps then development of players is experience that is acquired from responsibility actions. Hezonja has many games that he scored significant points but there is an question mark. ''?'', has he got necessary minutes and performed well in the consideration of responsibility? That's the case of him and really different from the case of Doncic or 16 years old kid Most of the times when I watch him, I surmise this guy is one the wrong place. He wants to do better but there is someone who is hindering him on the court. Xavi Pascual or somebody else, this guy wants to do better on court thanks to the faith in his own abilities.

That's why I am curious about his possible performance, what would happen if he gets quality minutes instead of quality training opportunities, I will never learn the possible answer since he has already lost the his chance by playing in Barcelona but with under this circumstance in Efes, he would perform many spectacular games in Euroleague and Turkish league.

This is all about the vision of him. I don't know maybe this was the best thing that he could ever done but my sixth sense is whispering he could did better job with his decisions.
                  Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Good post, I wholefully agree to it.

Didn't want to compare Dončič and Hezonja, just had to write down some thoughts that as far as ultra talented players go, going to a powerhouse might not be all that bad compared to just "talented" players. For 95% of players out there, that's a bad decision and even with my second thoughts about Barca really being a bad place for Mario, I have to admit he would probably benefit a lot more if he was playing with Cedevita for the last two years, even if it's not as much of a clear cut as most people would believe imo. The fact he is the next best thing out of Croatia would give him all the playing time out there, needless to say coach Repeša also has a long list of talented players he helped moving forward in their careers. Just as an example, i'm pretty curious how he'd play somewhere else too.

Comment

Xavi Pascual gets a lot of blame in some circles and internet forums for mishandling the development of Hezonja, but i think a lot of responsibility should go to Hezonja himself. He had a chance to go to loan to Fuenlabrada or Manresa, cannot remember now, at the start of the season, but refused and wanted to fight for place in Barca instead. However, in training camp he ended up even losing his place on active roster to Marcus Ericksson, who went down with knee injury shortly after.

There is a giant step between playing for Barca B in Leb Gold and playing for Euroleague powerhouse like Barcelona. Hezonja should have spent atleast one season in some middle of the road spanish team where he could work on his weaknesses and gain experience. Unforunately, he is not ready right now to contribute within highly structured system like Barca which relies much more on execution and experience than talent. Hezonja has played pretty badly over the past two month, and it is rightfully behind Navarro, Oleson, Abrines and Thomas in the pecking order. There is no incentive for Barcelona to develop him and be patient with his youthful mistakes, since he is leaving for NBA after this season.
                      My blog about european hoops http://insidehoops.blog.com

Comment

mario hezonja is spoiled brat with very poor social skills. hope he will mature soon

Comment

is there any rumour on jokic's future? will he stay in kk for the next season?

Comment

Jokic tonight 33 points and 12 rebounds vs Partizan, PIR 47!

Two days ago vs Zvezda 17 p and 8 rebounds.

Comment

vezenkov
                              28 points 6 rebounds 2 asists on the yesterday's aris victory vs olympiakos fot the greek semifinals

Comment

Hezonja is humanhighlight 2.0

Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information