Top 40 PBA greatest player of all time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^
    It's hard to compete for a spot when someone as influencial as Jawo pushes for someones inclusion.
    Current and trending Philippine sports news and commentary on basketball (NBA, PBA, UAAP, NCAA), boxing (Manny Pacquiao), football (FIFA world cup), volleyball, golf, MMA/UFC, active lifestyle (running, marathon, triathlon, cycling, biking), as well as featured stories on athletes and men’s health and wellness, style and grooming.

these things will always be subjective, to remove subjectivity the commitee should have also included some inclusion and exclusion criteria's aside from MVP, such as if you 10 mytical team selections, 2 best conference etc, top 5 in total scoring etc etc. Those things are not subjective.
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

I think the criterion should be 10 years experience. 5 years experience and you can be part of 40 greatest? That's too early.

Comment

Logic dictates that those who were left out but was part of the list during the 25 greatest should be were the selection should be the basis. If they were less than 15 then it should be automatic that they'll be included in Top 40 greatest. Then add the players in the list who are near retirement or have already retired now to fill the remaining numbers of Top 40. If we use that then there are only several players (e.g. Taulava, Miller, Ildefonso, Seigle) that should be added from the previous list.

Comment

seigle was just way too injury prone...yes his talent was there but he missed a lot of games. asaytono again has the talent but i don't remember him getting any individual award. miller, ildefonso and santos are former MVP's so they are shoo-ins...no questions about that. kerby, ping and castro are former finals MVPs too so again that is what they have over the snubs.

Comment

Originally posted by killmebusy View Post
            seigle was just way too injury prone...yes his talent was there but he missed a lot of games. asaytono again has the talent but i don't remember him getting any individual award. miller, ildefonso and santos are former MVP's so they are shoo-ins...no questions about that. kerby, ping and castro are former finals MVPs too so again that is what they have over the snubs.

I am a Purefoods fan ever since. Even so, I really did not liked Kerby and have no confidence in him as a Purefoods star. Nelson, as an arch nemesis of PF when he was with Swift/ Sunkist, SMB, I always dread and fear (in a way respect as well). He is the only player in history that has consistently humiliated the Captain. Posterized him a couple of times.

Comment

This time, they should have used total statistical points earned throughout the career. So that if there are active players included, then they are the very old ones (Asi, Danny I Danny S). SPs have its flaws, but at least, it is not prone to personal bias by the few people who are voting.

Comment

Back in time when Danny Seigle was dominating the PBA:

1. Jaworski and Freddie Webb were too busy with politics.
                2. Comm. Salud wasn't even thinking about the league, was too busy with corporate world.
                3. Patrick Gregorio?? Drinking his milk.
                4. One Congressman - busy spending people's money.

Comment

Marlou, Willie, Eric, Mark, JJ, Kerby, and Chito -- what do they have in common?? naman!!

I don't have anything against Marlou, and Chito, but the rest, including due respect to Eric Menk (who can definitely make a case for himself), I believe Nelson, Bong, Abe King, and even Dennis Espino DESERVES the inclusion ahead of Eric, especially in his position.

Willie can also make a case for himself because he is a two-time MVP, but Mark, JJ, and Kerby????

hmmm.. I think El Presidente should be included in the selection committee so that someone can give a different take on things. Sometimes, if you have a LEGEND and an ICON in the house, you need an equally ICONIC LEGEND to balance things out.

Comment

Originally posted by PaVi View Post
                    Marlou, Willie, Eric, Mark, JJ, Kerby, and Chito -- what do they have in common?? naman!!

I don't have anything against Marlou, and Chito, but the rest, including due respect to Eric Menk (who can definitely make a case for himself), I believe Nelson, Bong, Abe King, and even Dennis Espino DESERVES the inclusion ahead of Eric, especially in his position.

Willie can also make a case for himself because he is a two-time MVP, but Mark, JJ, and Kerby????

hmmm.. I think El Presidente should be included in the selection committee so that someone can give a different take on things. Sometimes, if you have a LEGEND and an ICON in the house, you need an equally ICONIC LEGEND to balance things out.
                    Willie, JJ, eric made it due to winning MVP's. if you're referring to mark pingris i think the spot should've given to danny seigle.
                    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

The only logic I can think of why Chito and Pingris were ranked ahead of Siegle and Asaytono is really National team performance. The selection committee (Jawo and Webb are former national team players who put a premium on NT achievements, but isn't this supposedly based on ones PBA career? No way you rank role players ahead of go to guys who are perennial MVP contenders. It's odd to have someone in the top 40 or 50 greats when he never was a candidate for an MVP or even made it to the mytical team, that's weird. (Rodman didn't make the NBA top 50)
                      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

It's actually hard to justify Chito Loyzaga in the list without looking like one is playing favorites. Reason his career was over when the top 25 was mentioned right? so in those next 15 years after year 2000 how does one jump in to the conversation, there must be a reason why he wasn't selected in the top 25 in 2000 , and certainly there's got to be at least 15 players since 2000 who had better careers than Chito. It's obvious, how does the rest of the committee question the living legend himself when he pushes for Chito. don't get me wrong I admire Chito's game, one of the best defenders in history ( Rodmans and Bruce Bowens are not top 50 great material) but there has to be more objectivity based on factual measurable accomplishments to rank someone ahead of the others. If one is to argue that there are other intangibles. (e.g. courage, toughness, defense etc) then that is contradicting the logic on why every MVP is automatic. Obviously there were circumstances why one loss or won an MVP, but to keep things objective they simply went with MVP means inclussion (which I agree is correct) , in the same way they should of used other factual measurable tangible criterion to include others (like top 5 scorer all time, multiple best player conference ) and an exclusion criteria as well (e.g ,must be a mytical 5 selection, must play at least 5 years) , No way a none mytical 5 member has any business being a top 40 great, that's weird, I don't think any of the NBA top 50 players were not even all NBA team members.

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                          The only logic I can think of why Chito and Pingris were ranked ahead of Siegle and Asaytono is really National team performance. The selection committee (Jawo and Webb are former national team players who put a premium on NT achievements, but isn't this supposedly based on ones PBA career? No way you rank role players ahead of go to guys who are perennial MVP contenders. It's odd to have someone in the top 40 or 50 greats when he never was a candidate for an MVP or even made it to the mytical team, that's weird. (Rodman didn't make the NBA top 50)
                          Seigle was named fiba asia club championships mythical team in 2007. Chito loyzaga? Only played i think in 90 asiad games. Asaytono? Better stat numbers than chito but was not included.
                          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                            Seigle was named fiba asia club championships mythical team in 2007. Chito loyzaga? Only played i think in 90 asiad games. Asaytono? Better stat numbers than chito but was not included.
                            Club champs doesn't count or have same prestige as "official Asian NT tournament" Chito belonged to what some call the RP dream team. and people remember him guarding that north korean 7, 7' guy. Chito was a great defender , but if your talking about PBA defense it's hard to justify him over Abe King. Plus Abe was a mytical 5 team member. u simply can't put a none mythical 5 member as an all time great. If you do then you're actually discrediting the judgement of those who didn't vote the player in the mythical team. (You're saying "mali pala yung nag vote ng best 5 dati")

Comment

Originally posted by killmebusy View Post
                              Seigle was a finals MVP too and had won several BPC's. I believe he should have won season MVP's during his prime. I think there is discrimination against fil-foreigners with regards to individual awards.

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                                I think the biggest snub is Danny Siegle, i think he should be ahead of Chito Loyzaaga. just my opinion but respect the choices of whoever selected the 40

this forum alone , always uses Danny Siegle as the example of a player we currently don't have (go to guy forward) , 4 best conference player awards, how many of the players in the top 40 has that ?
                                Seigle should be a shoo-in. He is above the rests. He revolutionized the 2 guard position that tall players can play small.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information