North Rising: Canadian Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Rising: Canadian Basketball

A look at who the best Canadian players in NBA History are, the future prospects to keep an eye on and the 12 Canadian players on NBA rosters in 2014 - the highest percentage of any nation outside the United States.

Why should Canada Basketball fans be excited? Nine of the 12 NBA players are 25 or younger. Hoops up north is on the rise!

I've been saying for two years now that Canada will be the next dominant world basketball power to challenge the US. Once you've produced a player like Wiggins, it shows everybody in your country that it's possible. There's really no other country outside of the US that has produced this many players who are both athletic and skilled, and those other countries have a lot of catching up to do in that regard. Having NBDL teams in some of the smaller Canadian cities would definitely help take it to another level in my opinion.

Comment

Olynyk
      Thompson, Nicholson
      Bennet
      Wiggins, Stauskas
      Corey Joseph, Ennis Tyler

... I agree, unless they fail to bring their best teams to most of events, they'll definately become at least a very tough opponent for the rest of the world, if not challenging US at some occasions as well.

I still remember one tournament where Rick Fox had to try to do it all by himself. This is quite an upgrade on those days.
      Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
      That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

hello,i know that is too early..but can you guess the lineup of canada for the olympics?will all of your stars play?thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgos Alexopoulos View Post
          hello,i know that is too early..but can you guess the lineup of canada for the olympics?will all of your stars play?thank you
          Well we need to qualify for the Olympics via FIBA Americas this summer first. Let's talk about that team first as it will be picked in the next two months.

At this point I think we are looking at several roster spots as being settled (Credit: Frumble):

PG: Cory Joseph
          SG: Carl English and Nik Stauskas
          SF: Andrew Wiggins
          PF: Andrew Nicholson and Anthony Bennett
          C: Kelly Olynyk

Jermaine Anderson, Junior Cadougan, or Kevin Pangos for the back up PG spot (Tyler Ennis is recovering from surgery).
          Brady Heslip, Andy Rautins or Olivier Hanlan for the 5th guard spot.
          Jehvon Shepard, Kris Joseph, or Melvin Ejim for the back-up 3 spot.
          And two of Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell, Robert Sacre, and Joel Anthony for the other 4/5 spots (with Anthony Bennett in some danger of losing his spot and three of these guys being taken if Tristan Thompson does participate - rumors are he wont play this summer).

Assuming we qualify for the Olympics you would add Tyler Ennis (PG), Trey Lyles (PF) and Jamal Murray (PG/SG) to that pool and perhaps Dillon Brooks and Kyle Wiltjer.

Lot's of very young guys, so it is difficult to predict an Olympic team as they are developing and changing quickly, plus NBA players have allot of issues keeping them out of national team duties. The good news for once in our history we have the depth to overcome losing a few top players.

I think Cory Joseph, Andrew Wiggins and Kelly Olynyk are the keys to us - if we have them and most of the others I mention above - we can field a good team.

Comment

If you would decide between Nick Stauskas Andy Rautins or Brady Heslip, who would you pick?
            Sacramento Kings
            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
              If you would decide between Nick Stauskas Andy Rautins or Brady Heslip, who would you pick?
              Tough question, it depends on who else is on the team. In a vacuum and At this date I choose Andy Rautins. I highly value maturity and Fiba experience (especially on a young and inexperienced team) of which Rautins has the most of the three by far.

Nik is obviously expected to be the best of the three but he is the youngest and hasn't proven himself better than Rautins at this moment in time. As the GM of team Canada I would want to lock Nik into the team and get him experience.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                Tough question, it depends on who else is on the team. In a vacuum and At this date I choose Andy Rautins. I highly value maturity and Fiba experience (especially on a young and inexperienced team) of which Rautins has the most of the three by far.

Nik is obviously expected to be the best of the three but he is the youngest and hasn't proven himself better than Rautins at this moment in time. As the GM of team Canada I would want to lock Nik into the team and get him experience.
                Thanks! I am a big fan of all three.

Used to watch Rautins during his time with the Knicks. Heslip and his prowess of shooting with Reno got a lot of attention and even got a praise from Steve Nash. Nik can only get better, although I am disappointed that we traded him and most likely he'll make us regret that in the future.

If I were to pick an order: Rautins > Stauskas > Heslip. Which too, was tough for me. I think Rautins is the best defender among the three with Stauskas having the most upside. Heslip I think has the microwave factor where he can shoot back a team into a game and open up spaces within the defense.
                Sacramento Kings
                HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

why thompson is out for the fiba americas?

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgos Alexopoulos View Post
                    why thompson is out for the fiba americas?
                    Contract negotiations with the Cavs

Comment

Originally posted by CHBB View Post
                      I've been saying for two years now that Canada will be the next dominant world basketball power to challenge the US. Once you've produced a player like Wiggins, it shows everybody in your country that it's possible. There's really no other country outside of the US that has produced this many players who are both athletic and skilled, and those other countries have a lot of catching up to do in that regard. Having NBDL teams in some of the smaller Canadian cities would definitely help take it to another level in my opinion.
                      That is still a long off. Canada has some good players but Europe has more talent right now and they are actually changing how the game is played. If you look at the NBA, you see so many European players and the systems are based on Europe Style Ball hence more shooting and finesse.
                      http://indigowolf.com.au/bags

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information