No announcement yet.

Need help in writing a b-ball novel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in writing a b-ball novel...

...But I don't know where to place this topic.

I already have this idea of a light novel about basketball, specifically women's basketball, for about a year now. I already have a generalized plot of events but I still couldn't get the specific details right.

My inspiration for this project is a light novel series adapted into anime called Ro-Kyu-Bu!

The story so far is as follows:

- The protagonist is a very tall girl (~183cm at age 15) with little confidence in herself, until the captain of their school's girls team discovers her potential to become a great basketball center.
    - I'm using Slam Dunk's plot as guide, but I'm going to do things a little differently, such as a female coach for the hero team, the tall team being the hero team's first opponent, the strongest team losing to the heroes' rival team (imagine if Ryonan actually beat Kainan, and you get the idea) just so I could introduce to the readers the quotient system, etc.

So I have three questions:

1. Which age group do you think is the best setting for a girls' b-ball LN? RKB already had grade schoolers, but I wanted to make something closer to middle school or high school so I could later write international youth tournaments (such as FIBA-Asia U16 and U18) as a bonus arc.

2. Is ~150cm for PG's and ~180cm for C's too short or too tall for girls' basketball? I just reduced the usual NBA sizes by 1 feet for easier reference, but I'm not sure if an 11-yr old 140cm PG or a 15-yr old 190cm female player are both realistic. Maybe I need to introduce foreign players in my novel? The only foreign player in the hero team is more of a shooter, though.

3. The 3 sizes. How does anyone figure this one out, given only height and weight? For example, I have a 183cm/68kg character, but I don't want to put any numbers yet for the 3 sizes for fear that it might turn out unrealistic. I wanted her to be a little wider, though, since she's a center.

Any comments and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

P.S. Mods kindly place this to a proper forum, because I'm not sure where to place this. Thanks.

P.P.S. Do I have to take into account FIBA's consideration of lowering the rims for women's basketball in my work? Seems pretty awesome to see my characters dunk the ball like it's nobody's business. Of course, at the risk of looking unrealistic. Thanks.
    Last edited by judasmartel; 10-07-2014, 05:27 AM.
    Originally posted by gideon
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
    ...But I don't know where to place this topic.

I already have this idea of a light novel about basketball, specifically women's basketball, for about a year now. I already have a generalized plot of events but I still couldn't get the specific details right.

My inspiration for this project is a light novel series adapted into anime called Ro-Kyu-Bu!

The story so far is as follows:

- The protagonist is a very tall girl (~183cm at age 15) with little confidence in herself, until the captain of their school's girls team discovers her potential to become a great basketball center.
    - I'm using Slam Dunk's plot as guide, but I'm going to do things a little differently, such as a female coach for the hero team, the tall team being the hero team's first opponent, the strongest team losing to the heroes' rival team (imagine if Ryonan actually beat Kainan, and you get the idea) just so I could introduce to the readers the quotient system, etc.

So I have three questions:

1. Which age group do you think is the best setting for a girls' b-ball LN? RKB already had grade schoolers, but I wanted to make something closer to middle school or high school so I could later write international youth tournaments (such as FIBA-Asia U16 and U18) as a bonus arc.

2. Is ~150cm for PG's and ~180cm for C's too short or too tall for girls' basketball? I just reduced the usual NBA sizes by 1 feet for easier reference, but I'm not sure if an 11-yr old 140cm PG or a 15-yr old 190cm female player are both realistic. Maybe I need to introduce foreign players in my novel? The only foreign player in the hero team is more of a shooter, though.

3. The 3 sizes. How does anyone figure this one out, given only height and weight? For example, I have a 183cm/68kg character, but I don't want to put any numbers yet for the 3 sizes for fear that it might turn out unrealistic. I wanted her to be a little wider, though, since she's a center.

Any comments and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

P.S. Mods kindly place this to a proper forum, because I'm not sure where to place this. Thanks.

P.P.S. Do I have to take into account FIBA's consideration of lowering the rims for women's basketball in my work? Seems pretty awesome to see my characters dunk the ball like it's nobody's business. Of course, at the risk of looking unrealistic. Thanks.
    Hey. Just saw this post through your signature. Anyway, here are some answers to your questions:

High school should be good. If the setting is the Philippines, you have to take into account K-12 and the two additional years of high school, which means a typical high school freshman would be around 14-15 years old. You can make the first two years (and U16) a sort of passage from junior high, then have her graduating at 18 or 19.

150 cm (4'11") is quite small, but considering you're dealing with ladies who are just reaching the peak of their puberty, maybe 5'1" or 5'2" is quite reasonable. -180 cm (6'0") is a bit tall for a high school girl, though. You can start her at something like 5'8" as a frosh, then have her grow up by 4 inches by the end of the novel.

A good weight for a 5'1" guard is 110-115 lbs; for a 5'6"-5'7" forward, 135 lbs; then for the 6'0" center, 160-170lbs is reasonable. See this height-weight chart for details.
    Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by kerouac82 View Post

A good weight for a 5'1" guard is 110-115 lbs; for a 5'6"-5'7" forward, 135 lbs; then for the 6'0" center, 160-170lbs is reasonable. See this height-weight chart for details.
      I mean the "36-24-36" thing.

I actually have the Japanese setting in mind to make it more animesque, but I'll consider a Philippine setting just in case.

--

I have decided on the High School setting, since by then most girls do not grow any bigger anyway, so they're much nearer to their maximum height.

--

Say, in the early part of my LN's tournament arc, the hero team is up against a tall team. They were getting pwned bad, but they were fighting hard despite the height disadvantage.

Now come 2nd half, they thought of taking out the other team's main players (a 6'2" Center, a 5'10" Guard-Forward, and a 5'7" Point Guard; yeah, this team is really tall, only one player below 5'7") by putting them in foul trouble.

There are two ways I thought of: drawing charging fouls on defense, and forcing more contact on offense.

Fouling out the main players not only takes out their advantage, it also allows the smallest player in that team (the younger sister of the hero team's starting PG) to play because her coach refuses to let her to.

Is the above tactic plausible?

Favorable replies will be appreciated. Thanks.
      Last edited by judasmartel; 05-23-2015, 07:31 AM.
      Originally posted by gideon
      Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Hi, students! I have read many essaypro.com reddit so far, and the majority of them were positive. I guess I'll entrust some of my assignments and grades to them. Can anyone tell if it is right or wrong? Why?

Comment

There are many popular tower defense games. Some of the best games include Bloons TD 6, Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Plants vs Zombies, and our web site has them all.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Buddy if you are still looking for help then I will suggest you get in touch with do my essay​ london. As they are famous for providing the best quality writing services in affordable prices in all over the UK

Comment

I understand your problem! Now, I recommend a website where students order affordable assignments UK online. So, use their service and get the best novel writing that needs you. I hope they will help and provide good writing service.

Comment

So much advice has been given here that I could probably write a novel too

Comment

Instead of posting here, I suggest that you conduct some research on Google and look for businesses with the lowest prices. Positive reviews will also aid in choosing the best writing website. I frequently engage Canadian writers anytime I need to write or modify content for my Canadian company, woven labels Canada. You can determine which businesses are reliable and which are not by conducting research. Simple!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I you need help with writing you can seek help by asking to write my assignment for me UK from AWS and they surely be there to help you out at any hour of the day with your novel writing. They can proofread for you and assist you in how to improve and how to deliver the best of yours.

Comment

If you want help in writing a b-ball novel then you have to hire a novel writer by searching on Google or sharing your problems with your friends or searching the query on social media platforms you can surely get the novel writer for your novel because I try the query option for my essay I search the query like who can do my essay for me UK and I get many writers at affordable price.

Comment

Whether it is writing on baseball novel or a thesis, many student are stuck in creating it because of their writing skills and short of time. In this time, cheap thesis writing services are the only hope for these student where professional writer create the novel or thesis before the due time with wonderful content and formatting without any error in it that make it ideal and easily influence the reader by the words and create interest in it

Comment

wow, is so cool topic and disscution

Comment

really, dude, your right

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information