Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Europe Team vs USA team...who wins?

Default All Europe Team vs USA team...who wins?

Lets have an interesting discussion since USA has beaten every other teams by 20+ points and its pretty likely they get
    gold unless a colossal upset happens. There is strength in numbers and USA have a 300+ million population certainly helps
    in having a constant stream of talent and depth. For other countries it might not be the same as many have mentioned with a "golden generation"
    of great players in one era and then being mediocre the next.

How about an all Europe team? That will be competitive.

C) Marc Gasol / Giannis Bourousis
    PF) Pau Gasol/ Jonas Valanciunas
    SF) Bojan Bogdanovic/ Dario Saric/Kostas Kaimakoglou
    SG) Zoran Dragic/ Milos Teodosic/ Rudy Fernadez
    PG) Goran Dragic/ Ricky Rubio

This looks more like a team with at least a decent chance of winning..(Or at least losing by single digits)

I don't have too much time right now, but: Valanciunas as PF?? No! Plus, as of today, he doesn't belong to an All-Europe team IMHO. Kaimakogloy doesn't either I'm afraid. Rubio doesn't either, he's still 2 notches below Tony Parker. Wait, do you want a team based on players playing this WC??

If you can select Europeans playing in NBA or very top Level in euroleague then you can have chance to have a fight with them. Talking about only Europeans my pool for selections would be:

PG: Tony Parker - Goran Dragic - Beno Udrih - Ricky Rubio - Milos Teodosic
    SG: Marco Belinelli - Danilo Gallinari (SF) - Juan Carlos Navarro - Bogdan Bogdanovic - Vasilis Spanoulis -Rudy Fernandez
    SF: Nicolas Batum - Luol Deng - Andrei Kirilenko - Thabo Sefolosha - Jonas Maciulis
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Boris Diaw - Ersan Ilyasova - Serge Ibaka - Mirza Teletovic - Dario Saric - Linas Kleiza - Nemanja Bjelica
    C: Marc Gasol - Joakim Noah - Jonas Valanciunas - Nicola Pekovic - Nikola Vucevic - Pau Gasol - Omer Asik - Ante Tomic

edit: I forgot Joakim Noah
    Last edited by Efesdxb; 09-17-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Efesdxb View Post
    If you can select Europeans playing in NBA or very top Level in euroleague then you can have chance to have a fight with them. Talking about only Europeans my pool for selections would be:

SG: Marco Belinelli - Danilo Gallinari (SF) - Juan Carlos Navarro - Bogdan Bogdanovic - Vasilis Spanoulis -Rudy Fernandez
    SF: Nicolas Batum - Luol Deng - Andrei Kirilenko - Thabo Sefolosha - Jonas Maciulis
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Boris Diaw - Ersan Ilyasova - Serge Ibaka - Mirza Teletovic - Dario Saric - Linas Kleiza - Nemanja Bjelica
    C: Marc Gasol - Jonas Valanciunas - Nicola Pekovic - Nikola Vucevic - Pau Gasol - Omer Asik - Ante Tomic
    Nice thread and A nice list man! You can also add the great Dirk Nowitzki to that list.
    Ten candles stand burning in a dining room. A strong breeze blows
    in through an open window and extinguishes two of them. Checking
    back in on the candles later, you see that one more candle has gone
    out, you shut the window. Assuming the wind doesn't extinguish any
    more candles, how many candles do you have left in the end?

Ricky Rubio?lol hes such funny player he is worse than our Markovic a PG without a shoot -.-
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

Manu with 37 is better than all this SG that you mentioned, I think all europe team is not enough.
    Old Profile: GustavoGanso (Since 2010)

I think an All Europe team would destroy this Team USA and any other Team USA that includes players who care more about their high school rankings and then their draft stock and then their contracts/endorsements than what really matters.

If the USA team was picked based on the best players for international basketball then I think USA would destroy them, but as we've seen with this current edition it's more about the bigger names than anything. When a guy like Blake Griffin is being selected for the team over more complete players, then you've got a serious problem when it comes to how you select your players.

Quote Originally Posted by GuTO View Post
    Manu with 37 is better than all this SG that you mentioned, I think all europe team is not enough.
    All "European" Team. Argentina is not part of Europe.
    Otherwise there are lot of players can be in this team...

Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    I think an All Europe team would destroy this Team USA and any other Team USA that includes players who care more about their high school rankings and then their draft stock and then their contracts/endorsements than what really matters.

If the USA team was picked based on the best players for international basketball then I think USA would destroy them, but as we've seen with this current edition it's more about the bigger names than anything. When a guy like Blake Griffin is being selected for the team over more complete players, then you've got a serious problem when it comes to how you select your players.
    I am very interested in knowing what players you would have selected for this team, excluding all the players that de-committed (Lebron, Durant, George, Love, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    I am very interested in knowing what players you would have selected for this team, excluding all the players that de-committed (Lebron, Durant, George, Love, etc.).
    I'd keep the big men minus Plumlee. I'd replace Klay Thompson with Stephenson or maybe a former standout guard who needs to redeem himself and will be motivated like OJ Mayo. I'd keep Gay and add Thaddeus Young because they're the only two players left that didn't de-commit who can play the role of the wing who can block shots and play the 4. I'd replace Irving with Lowry or maybe have Irving serve as his backup. I'd probably keep Curry and definitely keep Rose and maybe DeRozan but I wouldn't keep Harden despite his talent because I don't think he's a leader or that his offense works well within a team. I would love to see Korver on the team as well but he can't play defense so he would be a liability.

C: Marc Gasol - Jonas Valanciunas - Nicola Pekovic - Nikola Vucevic - Pau Gasol - Omer Asik - Ante Tomic
    Well, if you are adding players that didn't participate in this tournament, then USA gets to add LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Paul George, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, LaMarcus Aldridge, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BMD Prime View Post
    Well, if you are adding players that didn't participate in this tournament, then USA gets to add LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Paul George, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, LaMarcus Aldridge, etc.
    As I understood from thread Best European vs Best USA...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieJB View Post
    I don't have too much time right now, but: Valanciunas as PF?? No! Plus, as of today, he doesn't belong to an All-Europe team IMHO. Kaimakogloy doesn't either I'm afraid. Rubio doesn't either, he's still 2 notches below Tony Parker. Wait, do you want a team based on players playing this WC??
    Uhm Valanciunas was the fifth player in the whole tournament in efficiency , first in FG% and 8th in rebound, And carried a Lithuania without PG to top 4. Why wouldnt he be part of All-European team?

I think you can create a few European rosters than can do the damage for team USA.

If you could make a roster out of two or three strong countries you can do the damage as well.

Take France and Spain.

Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, Serge Ibaka
    Pau Gasol, Boris Diaw
    Nicolas Batum, Rudy Fernandez
    Juan Carlos Navarro, Sergio Rodriguez
    Tony Parker, Jose Calderon, Ricky Rubio

Pretty tough team to beat.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

My Best European Team will be:

PG: Tony Parker, Goran Dragic, Milos Teodosic
    SG: Danilo Gallinari, Rudy Fernandez
    SF: Nicolas Batum, Luol Deng
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki, Serge Ibaka
    C: Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol

3 French
    4 Spanish
    1 German
    1 Italian
    1 Serbian
    1 British
    1 Slovenian

My Best European Team will be:

PG: Tony Parker, Goran Dragic, Milos Teodosic
    SG: Danilo Gallinari, Rudy Fernandez
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki, Serge Ibaka
    C: Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol

3 French
    4 Spanish
    1 German
    1 Italian
    1 Serbian
    1 British
    1 Slovenian
    PG: Tony Parker, Goran Dragic
    SG: Danilo Gallinari, Vasilis Spanoulis , Bojan Bogdanovic
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki, Ersan İlyasova , Boris Diaw , Nemanja Bjelica
    C: Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol , Enes Kanter , Nicola Pekovic , Ömer Asik

Well... I'd go with this one

PG: Rodriguez, Teodošić
    SG: G.Dragič, Llull
    SF: Batum, Fernandez, Bjelica
    PF: Diaw, Šarić, Hryapa
    C: Pau, Noah

Those aren't the top12 out there but would have a supreme court awareness, with ability to put up a good defensive, running, tall, stretch, small lineups... you name it you got it, loads of versatility.

My 12

C: M.Gasol N.Vucevic Valanciunas
    PF: B.Diaw P.Gasol D.Motiejunas
    SF: D.Gallinari N.Bjelica
    SG: G.Dragic R.Fernandez
    PG: M.Teodosic N.De Colo defensively this team is alot better than US. However US has so many PG to chooce from its ridicolous.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Modis View Post
    My 12

C: M.Gasol N.Vucevic Valanciunas
    PF: B.Diaw P.Gasol D.Motiejunas
    SF: D.Gallinari N.Bjelica
    SG: G.Dragic R.Fernandez
    PG: M.Teodosic N.De Colo defensively this team is alot better than US. However US has so many PG to chooce from its ridicolous.

Individual talent wise the USA team is far superior to this group of players. The only thing that would keep it close is chemistry and the familiarity with FIBA ball. Play by NBA rules and the game isn't close, get the USA to share the ball and play like a team and it isn't close.

Guys like DMo, Diaw, Rudy, De Colo are average NBA players at best. You are putting up a team with one or two NBA allstar caliber players against a team full of allstars MVPs, First Team players. I love Pau, Marc and a healthy Gallo. Dragic when on, is pretty darn good too. Vuc and Val are good but have serious limitations, the rest of the names are mediocre to NBA fans.

Sure, one game the Euro team could certainly win but the odds would still be with the US. The Euro team would likely have same chemistry issues to deal with that routinely disadvantages the USA, but they do have the advantage FIBA style experience. The "Golden" Spanish teams would probably beat this collection of euro stars as well. Their familiarity and team work would be the overwhelming advantage. Maybe Argentina at its peak as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Individual talent wise the USA team is far superior to this group of players. The only thing that would keep it close is chemistry and the familiarity with FIBA ball. Play by NBA rules and the game isn't close, get the USA to share the ball and play like a team and it isn't close.

Guys like DMo, Diaw, Rudy, De Colo are average NBA players at best. You are putting up a team with one or two NBA allstar caliber players against a team full of allstars MVPs, First Team players. I love Pau, Marc and a healthy Gallo. Dragic when on, is pretty darn good too. Vuc and Val are good but have serious limitations, the rest of the names are mediocre to NBA fans.

Sure, one game the Euro team could certainly win but the odds would still be with the US. The Euro team would likely have same chemistry issues to deal with that routinely disadvantages the USA, but they do have the advantage FIBA style experience. The "Golden" Spanish teams would probably beat this collection of euro stars as well. Their familiarity and team work would be the overwhelming advantage. Maybe Argentina at its peak as well.
    Dont be fooled by this individual talent only.There is more things to take into account.If Europe was to have time to prepare.Plus Europe would probably be very tactical with US. US always finds this hard with very tactical teams because then its up to the coaching staff to find solutions and not this great individuality that US has. But i agree US still has the edge over Europe. Europe would probably be more disciplined and better at defense. Having M.GASOL. And P.GASOL would make us better in defense. But offensively Europe just doesn't have the same firepower as the US with likes of Lebron and Durant. However I will add that Europe has a Larger pool of players to chooce from. And there is many Euroleague players who are NBA level... Anyways wouldn't it be nice if one day this kind of clash would happen. Europe definitely had better players before, Europe from 2000 and 2007 back then would destroyed US .
    Last edited by Modis; 10-08-2015 at 06:53 PM.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast