Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Greek Team

Personally, I look forward to the Spanoulis-Antetokounmpo axis.
    Giannis will make a lot of noise even with Calathes/Sloukas passing him the ball back door.

Quote Originally Posted by Svoura View Post
    Personally, I look forward to the Spanoulis-Antetokounmpo axis.
    Giannis will make a lot of noise even with Calathes/Sloukas passing him the ball back door.
    I hope that Giannis will have a different and more important role this year. The guy has unique abilities and I don't feel that Katsikaris managed to exploit his potential last year. As we have already seen, this NT tries to play a much faster game than its predecessors and Giannis is (could be) the fastest power forward in Eurobasket 2015. Not only he can run like a sprinter but he can move the ball like a good guard. Under the basket, I expect that he will take a lot of alley-oops and follow up dunks, as long as he doesn't grub along away of the paint.
    Btw welcome to the forum Svoura

If Koufos does join the team, then we should go with Bourousis and him at the 5. Without Perperoglou, we're risking not having any spacing. I remember last year Antetokounmpo and Papanikolaou making 1 3p shot in all the tournament, that's why we need Kaimakoglou and Perperoglou. We can play with 2 pfs for a while if needed, no harm.

About 10 of the 12 players will be good to excellent passers. This will be the team's strength. Last year we played really well if you exclude the Serbia game (in which they were excellent, even their less important players like Kalinic), this year we should be better.

I came across this artice. And it would seem that Antetokoumpo was asked by Katsikaris to be ready for a role on the PF position.

As I stated before, it makes perfect sense. Papanikolaou and Perperoglou are solid SF's and they have worked together successfully at Olympiacos.

In this line of thought the question remains whether Katsikaris will go for Kaimakoglou or a fifth guard like Mantzaris.
    Last edited by Victorious; 06-22-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

If only Papagiannis was a few years older and more developed I think this Greek NT would be a truly formidable one (especially since it's not certain yet whether Koufos will join the NT or not)...

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    If only Papagiannis was a few years older and more developed I think this Greek NT would be a truly formidable one (especially since it's not certain yet whether Koufos will join the NT or not)...
    Papagiannis is not going to be enough. Thankfully there are some other good prospects out there as well. But it will take at least five years for them to develop. So Koufos commitment is rather essential. Especially since Bourousis won't be around for long either.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Papagiannis is not going to be enough. Thankfully there are some other good prospects out there as well. But it will take at least five years for them to develop. So Koufos commitment is rather essential. Especially since Bourousis won't be around for long either.
    True.. I think the Greek NT with players like Charalampopoulos, Papagiannis, Lountzis, Agravanis and Papapetrou can be a really great team in the future alongside current players like Antetokoumpo, Calathes, Sloukas and Papanikolau...

I would have included Diamantakos to the mix but he hasn't really developed like he should as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    True.. I think the Greek NT with players like Charalampopoulos, Papagiannis, Lountzis, Agravanis and Papapetrou can be a really great team in the future alongside current players like Antetokoumpo, Calathes, Sloukas and Papanikolau...

I would have included Diamantakos to the mix but he hasn't really developed like he should as of yet.
    I was thinking of potential centers. There are some good prospects around. Zach Auguste, Corey Petros, Dimakopoulos, Agravanis and some others. Perhaps one of them will have what it takes. Hard to say though. They need time.
    Diamantakos seems to me too slow. I don't consider him future national team material. Pao should let him go. Perhaps he will have the opportunity to get some playing time at another team.

It's weird that Greece is only producing good forwards, with enormous lack of guards and point-guards. After Mantzaris and Sloukas there's nothing, while 3 (mostly) and 4 spots have an incredible list of young player that might represent a bright future: Antetokounmpo, Charalampopoulos, Papapetrou. Actually with the development of the last two, Greece would be easily able to get rid of Papanikolaou (that I don't like at all). But... what about ball handlers? Let's not talk about Antetokounmpo playing pg or sg, his role has to be the one of power forward due to his skills and his lack in long range shooting. He has to learn to be more aggressive near the basket but the guy is really young and might improve a lot.
    The main issue is that after Calathes, Sloukas and Mantzaris there's a black hole, only Lountzis looks really interesting and may become a European first level player. He's entering the most important phase of his career, the one in which he has to show he may be a man in a world of men. I'm curious about this Dorsey, even if it seems to me that they failed to bring him Greek passport before U19 World Championship. Not sure that Milentijevic-Alifieris will be able to become a first class player: he has one season in A2 to show if he can, taking the leadership of his new team.
    Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

How about Koniaris? He also seems to me to be a good ball handling prospect, alongside Lountzis.
    There is also the Greek Canadian Kevin Pangos. He played for the young Canadian team, so he can not play for Greece unless the federation will use the naturalization option. Though it wouldn't really be a naturalized player, since he is of Greek origin anyway. Ofcourse, he may simply prefer to play for Canada.
    Last edited by Victorious; 06-26-2015 at 12:05 PM.

@BigLebowski:
    Lountzis is a fantastic prospect, in the Diamantidis vein. Keep an eye on him in the U19 Worlds, and keep in mind that he is not even 17 yet. That is, two whole years younger than almost everyone in the tournament. And he's already made his Euroleague debut, in a playoff game in Moscow no less. And it wasn't even in garbage time.
    Tyler Dorsey also looks pretty good in the same tournament (although in a very un-Greek way), and so do Stamatis and Toliopoulos. But these three are shoot-first PG's. They can also defend the lanes and also man-to-man, but not organize a team that well. They are still learning the game though. None of our current superstars was very good at 18 or 19, except maybe Zissis. Certainly not Papaloukas, not Diamantidis, and not Spanoulis.
    Koniaris, who is injured, is a decent young defender and playmaker. Had he been healthy, he would start for our U19 team.
    From the previous generation, Bochoridis can develop into a very good point guard. He is the same age as Antetokounmpo, and Papapetrou (21).
    You are also forgetting Nikos Pappas, who is leader material, although he lost a couple of crucial years buried in various teams' bench. He made a lot of noise for Panathinaikos last season, and I expected to see him in the 2015 Men's NT squad before his unfortunate injury. He is not that far behind his contemporaries (25) Mantzaris and Sloukas, and he's definitely a game-changer with his 1-on-1 skills and scoring. Which is also very un-Greek.
    Last edited by Svoura; 07-01-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Is anyone worried that Papanikolaou's game might have suffered from riding the Houston bench all year?

As far as prospects, here are the players I think will make the NT and which year I predict they will make it:

Bochoridis (2017), Koniaris (2019), Lountzis (2019)
    ?
    Papapetrou (2016), Charalampopoulos (2017)
    Agravanis (2017), Mitoglou (2019)
    Papagiannis (2018)

Big problem is at the SG position, not the PG position, although some of the PG prospects might becomes combo guards or outright SGs. Mitoglou might never make it to the NT level, wel'll have to wait and see. I don't see Diamantakos, Stamatis, Mouratos or Christodoulou as NT material.
    Last edited by christodoulou76; 07-06-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christodoulou76 View Post
    Is anyone worried that Papanikolaou's game might have suffered from riding the Houston bench all year?

As far as prospects, here are the players I think will make the NT and which year I predict they will make it:

Bochoridis (2017), Koniaris (2019), Lountzis (2019

?
    Papagiannis (2018)

Big problem is at the SG position, not the PG position, although some of the PG prospects might becomes combo guards or outright SGs. Mitoglou might never make it to the NT level, wel'll have to wait and see. I don't see Diamantakos, Stamatis, Mouratos or Christodoulou as NT material.
    I think Dorsey is the savior at SG. The guy looks amazing, and was our best defender and offensive player in the U19. I disagree regarding Christodolou, I believe he can become very good. He is 1.98 and has a ton of potential.
    Olympiakos 2016/17

PG: Hackett, Mantzaris, Athinaiou
    SG: Spanoulis, Green
    SF: Lojeski, Papanikolaou, Papapetrou
    PF: Printezis, Gabriel, Agravanis
    C: Young, Birch, Milutinov

Twitter.com/isakprinos

I am not so much worried about forward prospects but about our future and present Centers!

--
    Viva la Frappélution!

Quote Originally Posted by Svoura View Post
    @BigLebowski:
    Lountzis is a fantastic prospect, in the Diamantidis vein. Keep an eye on him in the U19 Worlds, and keep in mind that he is not even 17 yet. That is, two whole years younger than almost everyone in the tournament. And he's already made his Euroleague debut, in a playoff game in Moscow no less. And it wasn't even in garbage time.
    Tyler Dorsey also looks pretty good in the same tournament (although in a very un-Greek way), and so do Stamatis and Toliopoulos. But these three are shoot-first PG's. They can also defend the lanes and also man-to-man, but not organize a team that well. They are still learning the game though. None of our current superstars was very good at 18 or 19, except maybe Zissis. Certainly not Papaloukas, not Diamantidis, and not Spanoulis.
    I agree about Lountzis, this I what I wrote before: hopefully he'll be able to have more minutes in senior team, as Zisis had when playing for AEK in 2000/01 season. It's also true that some players look excellent in young teams and then disappear or don't confirm what they had shown for various reasons (Milosevic, Sakota, Vasileiadis, Vasilopoulos).
    Anyway, I might look weird, but considering that NT normally has five guards (i.e. Zisis, Papaloukas, Spanoulis, Diamantidis, Hatzivrettas from 2004 to 2007; Sloukas, Mantzaris, N. Calathes, Zisis, Vasilediadis last year), if someone of the actual small pentada (Spanoulis, Sloukas, Zisis, Mantzaris, Calathes) might miss Eurobasket, instead of putting in the roster some future-less player like Athinaiou - who would play ten minutes in the entire tournament - I'd take there Dorsey who might get and learn something from his ten minutes played in the tournament.

Something similar to what Canada women national team did recently, putting Kia Nurse when she was 17 in the roster. There are many differences between male and female basketball, but that girl known at the beginning as "Mrs. Who's she?" now is probaby the best worldwide U20 point guard.

If I were Katsikaris, anyway, I'd go with Mantzaris, Sloukas, Spanoulis, Zisis, Calathes, Perperoglou, Antetokounmpo, Kaimakoglou, Printezis, Mpogris... about center position it depends by what they want to do, since all of them are not exactly people on whom you can count ("I'm tired", "I'm sick", "I'm injured", "My wife is pregnant", "I already booked vacations"). So it might be Vougioukas or Koufos or Mpourosis if he's still alive or Shortsianitis if he's not 250 kg and for some weird reasons willing to play (Greece in 2014 had to include Glyniadakis...). And I'd put in the first list Papapetrou, Agravanis (he's nothing special, but he's a reactive player) and Dorsey.

Sincerely I would immediately get rid off Papanikolaou.
    Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

Quote Originally Posted by christodoulou76 View Post

Bochoridis (2017), Koniaris (2019), Lountzis (2019)
    ?
    Papagiannis (2018)

I don't see any problem regarding the prospects. The SG position is safe considering Pappas and Sloukas could fill that role for quite some years.

The C position remains liability though. This makes me think that players like Bogris and Sarikopoulos may end up in the NT by next year or the year after that. That said, it is not an impossibility that one of these players may show some good signs in the next couple of years. I think they can offer more than Vouyoukas and Glyniadakis.

Katsikaris set to announce the training camp roster this Friday. It will be interesting to see if he includes any surprise names, and how large the roster is. Last year he used a very small training camp roster, which necessitated very few subsequent cuts. He invited only a few extra players to compete for the final 2-3 spots. This article suggests he will do the same again this year, inviting only 15 players to the camp.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/baske...thniki/3097860

Likely Training Camp Roster:
    Calathes, Zisis, Mantzaris
    Spanouls, Sloukas, Vasileiadis
    Papanikolaou, Perperoglou, Jankovic
    Antetokounmpo, Printezis, Kaimakoglou
    Koufos, Bourousis, Agravanis

i dont know this team looks OP on paper but in reality...we saw last year,my thinking is problem is coach greece needs coach with authority that could put down to the earth every "star" that tries to destroy team chemistry,thats my thought as some random guy that watched Greece only on TV
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

Quote Originally Posted by Exitche View Post
    i dont know this team looks OP on paper but in reality...we saw last year,my thinking is problem is coach greece needs coach with authority that could put down to the earth every "star" that tries to destroy team chemistry,thats my thought as some random guy that watched Greece only on TV
    Thanks for your input. I don't really agree with that. The Greek NT has always been a "player's team", and works well when it has a coach who is "one of the guys". Katsikaris played this part very well last year, although he should be more authoritative when the going got tough (i.e against Serbia). Now he has a year of very useful experience, but he is also blessed with a great leader in Spanoulis.
    To be honest, I believe that the core of Spanoulis/Zisis/Bourousis/Printezis/Kaimakoglou is what keeps the team running. Every one of these players (plus younger guys such as Papanikolaou, Sloukas, Mantzaris, Antetokounmpo, Calathes etc) loves being with the team, and would never do anything deliberately to hurt its chances. Their experience and expertise is the top gun of the NT.
    Thankfully, the big egos get checked out at the door. The worst thing you can do to such a team, is bring in a dictator as head coach. It simply wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Svoura; 07-20-2015 at 10:03 AM.

The Greece we had seen last year had a huge liability in the center position. That was their main issue, and a good team like Serbia capitalized on that. It also didn't help that Greece was favored to win and that Serbia had gained great momentum in the play-offs.
    The team chemistry was actually splendid. In fact, Greek teams always show good team chemistry. They know how to deal with that. Not only on a NT level, but also at a club level.

In any case, it was the first year Katsikaris coached the team and we should expect even better cohesion this year. I expect them to be tougher most of all.
    Last edited by Victorious; 07-20-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast