Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 311

Thread: 2015 Greek Team

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,811
    Country: Greece

    Default

    First of all, let's wait until the summer to see who's going or not. Koufos was ready to join the NT last year too, right until the preparation began.

    Antetokounmpo played many games as a pf this year and can play the sf as well. But with Papanikolaou's 3p shot having regressed that much (he got worse at barcelona, didn't make a single 3 in the world cup and remained bad this year) I think Perperoglou is definitely needed.
    Regardless of what we think, Zisis will be there. He always gives 110% for the NT and last year he was our best player.
    After Spanoulis and Zisis, I'd like to see Pappas for sure. On a day when nothing is clicking, it would be good to have the option of just telling him to do what he likes. I said the same thing last summer, he'd make a great X factor.
    One of Calathes, Sloukas and Mantzaris would not make it then and I'm glad I don't get to decide who. In any case, it will probably Pappas that gets left out.

    Giankovits isn't young, he's 25 and he's not good enough. If he goes it will be the equivalent of us having Bramos in the NT right before he started applying for unemployment benefits.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    First of all, let's wait until the summer to see who's going or not. Koufos was ready to join the NT last year too, right until the preparation began.

    Antetokounmpo played many games as a pf this year and can play the sf as well. But with Papanikolaou's 3p shot having regressed that much (he got worse at barcelona, didn't make a single 3 in the world cup and remained bad this year) I think Perperoglou is definitely needed.
    Regardless of what we think, Zisis will be there. He always gives 110% for the NT and last year he was our best player.
    After Spanoulis and Zisis, I'd like to see Pappas for sure. On a day when nothing is clicking, it would be good to have the option of just telling him to do what he likes. I said the same thing last summer, he'd make a great X factor.
    One of Calathes, Sloukas and Mantzaris would not make it then and I'm glad I don't get to decide who. In any case, it will probably Pappas that gets left out.

    Giankovits isn't young, he's 25 and he's not good enough. If he goes it will be the equivalent of us having Bramos in the NT right before he started applying for unemployment benefits.
    Giankovits is not good enough indeed. That was evident during this season at Pao. It's also not certain whether he will evolve to become a good enough player.

    Also, Pappas mentioned in an interview that Katsikaris never used him at Bilbao and the he didn't like him at all as a player. So we may have to count out Pappas for the National Team. This may well turn the tie against the so far quite popular Katsikaris. At least, if he does not succeed.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  3. #23

    Default

    Pappas out for 6 months. Big blow for Greek NT.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christodoulou76 View Post
    Pappas out for 6 months. Big blow for Greek NT.
    Big blow indeed. Would have liked to see him with Spanoulis on his side.

    So I guess it's clear now. If there are no more surprises or absences.
    Spanoulis, Zisis, Mantzaris, Sloukas, Calathes are the SG and PG positions.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Big blow indeed. Would have liked to see him with Spanoulis on his side.

    So I guess it's clear now. If there are no more surprises or absences.
    Spanoulis, Zisis, Mantzaris, Sloukas, Calathes are the SG and PG positions.
    Yes. I don't expect any surprises at these positions. These 5 are locks if healthy.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Adon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3,491
    Country: Greece

    Default Greek NT 2015

    The Greek lobby seems to be in sleep mode. Perhaps the economic crisis is the reason. Anyway.

    Last year, Katsikaris convinced me that he was a very good choice as the first coach. The team played very good bb, they had chemistry, they were the best Greek NT since 2008. Although that they didn't have Spanoulis and there was only one center (Bourousis), they manage to win easily every team in their way until they coupled with Serbia in the round of 16. The Serbs were the big pleasant surprise of WC 2014, they played a fantastic game but even so, the game was undecided as long as Bourousis could withstand. At the point he got tired, the team collapsed and the Serbs dominated easily.

    This year, theoretically, if we have the expected full roster (Spanoulis, Koufos, Sofo) then Greece is a big contender for a medal.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    6,890
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Calathes, Mantzaris, Zisis
    Spanoulis, Sloukas, Pappas, Vasileiadis
    Papanikolau, Antetokoumnpo, Perperoglou, Jankovic
    Printezis, Kaimakoglou, Fotsis
    Koufos, Bourousis, Sofo, Kefal

    Any addition?

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    6,890
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Kefal should be in the roster. He is hammering Olympiacos all alone.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTEGRAL View Post
    Calathes, Mantzaris, Zisis
    Spanoulis, Sloukas, Pappas, Vasileiadis
    Papanikolau, Antetokoumnpo, Perperoglou, Jankovic
    Printezis, Kaimakoglou, Fotsis
    Koufos, Bourousis, Sofo, Kefal

    Any addition?
    This would be the sum of Greek players who are able to play for the Greek team. Yet, out of this group, Pappas is a sure no call since he is injured. Moreover, the coach will make a decision as to which 10-11 players are going to be on the final roster prior to the final selection which is at the end of the preparation phase. What I mean by this is that if Katsikaris decides that Koufos, Bourousis and Mavrokefalidis are going to be the three centers, then Sofo is not going to be called upon. Rather, a younger player like perhaps Agravanis will be invited instead to join the team for the preparation phase.
    Last edited by Victorious; 06-10-2015 at 10:26 PM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  10. #30
    Senior Member Adon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3,491
    Country: Greece

    Default

    When Radjulica was destroying us under the rim last year, I was thinking that the only Greek player who could give him a hard time defensively would be Sofo. In certain conditions Sofo could be an invaluable asset but his desire to play in the NT is the big question. Mavrokefalidis has high technique but his limited physical abilities make him a liability when he confronts high level tall and strong centers. Imo he is the 4th choice for center.
    I don't think that there is a place for Vaseiliadis. Jankovic is below the competion for his position and Fotsis (although he had a great season) won't be called even for the preparation stage.

    Calathes, Mantzaris, Zisis
    Spanoulis, Sloukas, Pappas, Vasileiadis
    Papanikolau, Antetokoumnpo, Perperoglou, Jankovic
    Printezis, Kaimakoglou, Fotsis
    Koufos, Bourousis, Sofo, Kefal

    So, if everyone from the above list is available, I suppose that Katsikaris will keep one of Mavrokefalisis-Perperoglou-Sofo.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    I think Papapetrou, Agravanis and Jankovic will be invited too. After which they will be cut from the team. Katsikaris will only invite 13 candidates which can make the final team.

    Katsikaris likes to have three centers on the team. Even last year, when Koufos, Sofo and Mavrokefalidis declined the invitation the Greek coach went for Kavadas and Vouyoukas. Perhaps this was due to the fact that there was a high risk that Kavadas or Vouyoukas would not be able to perform according to expectations.
    But if Koufos, Bourousis and Sofo are going to be on the team it may be possible that Kaimakoglou's position can be compromised as well.
    Papanikolaou and Perperoglou could play SF, while Printezis and Antekontoumpo could play PF. The Greek freak could really do some damage under the boards, while Perperoglou is a better shooter than Kaimakoglou. If Sofo doesn't come, then Kaimakoglou would be a better option because Greece needs some more toughness.
    Also, last year Koufos declined after Spanoulis didn't come. So Spanoulis presence is crucial.

    So for me, with a full roster, the guards are set. Only one player which is between brackets will be left out.

    Papanikolaou, (Perperoglou)
    Printezis, Antekontoumpo (Kaimakoglou)
    Koufos, Bourousis, (Sofo) (Mavro)
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  12. #32
    Senior Member Adon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3,491
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post

    So for me, with a full roster, the guards are set. Only one player which is between brackets will be left out.

    Papanikolaou, (Perperoglou)
    Printezis, Antekontoumpo (Kaimakoglou)
    Koufos, Bourousis, (Sofo) (Mavro)
    Perhaps you mean that two of them will be left out.

    I agree that Antetokounbo should play at 4. Being at the perimeter and taking long shots (like he did last year) is a waste. For the European standards, his natural position is in the paint. In that case, Perperoglou becomes more necessary than Kaimakoglou, but I don't believe that Katsikaris is going to leave out of the team a healthy Kaimak.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    Perhaps you mean that two of them will be left out.

    I agree that Antetokounbo should play at 4. Being at the perimeter and taking long shots (like he did last year) is a waste. For the European standards, his natural position is in the paint. In that case, Perperoglou becomes more necessary than Kaimakoglou, but I don't believe that Katsikaris is going to leave out of the team a healthy Kaimak.
    Maybe he can go with two centers and have Printezis, Kaimakoglou and Antekontoumpo at PF. That's also an option, though somewhat unlikely. In any case, Perperoglou can be a great asset to the team on the SF position, while it's a waste to rely on Antetokoumpo shot at this stage of his career. I think he can function best as a four. That's where his future position will be either way. Papapetrou and Papanikolaou will cover the SF position for the next decade. But for now Perperoglou is in his prime and should play. He is just 30 and should get the opportunity to be part of the team for a couple of more years. The truth is that this team would be complete even without the Greek freak, but it is a certainty that he is going to play.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  14. #34
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Great news. Spanoulis confirmed he wants to be part of the Greek National Team this summer. He said he already spoke to coach Katsikaris and the conversation was positive.

    http://www.gazzetta.gr/basketball/ar...ta-ethniki-gtv
    Last edited by Victorious; 06-15-2015 at 12:48 PM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  15. #35
    Senior Member Adon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3,491
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Spanoulis and Koufos are the most important additions to last year's team. They can lift the NT one level up. Koufos is not at the same level with Spanoulis of course but -given the weakness we have at centers- perhaps he is even more necessary than him.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    136
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Hello from Athens, newbie here.
    Nikos Pappas is out injured, but everyone else should be available. I do not think anyone counts on Sofo any more; I'll be surprised if he gets a call up. And Diamantidis has obviously retired from NT duty.
    There usually are some last-second absentees, so let's wait and see.
    The good news is, Spanoulis has commited to play. Here's how I believe the team will line up if there are no injuries:

    Zisis, Calathes
    Spanoulis, Sloukas
    Papanikolaou, Antetokounmpo, Perperoglou
    Kaimakoglou, Printezis
    Bourousis, Koufos, Mavrokefalidis

    ...which is a seriously strong squad. Mantzaris is a definite contender for a guard spot if Katsikaris chooses to take 5 ball handlers (which I doubt). Papapetrou and Jankovic will round up the initial 16, together with a back-up big guy (probably Agravanis). I do not know what the passport situation witn Zach Auguste is, but I'd love to see him in there too.
    Last edited by Svoura; 06-16-2015 at 04:27 PM.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Welcome Svoura. Nice to have you on the forum.
    I actually think that Katsikaris will go with 5 guards. Especially since all of them are very high quality guards. Not to mention that last year Katsikaris included Vassiliadis as a fifth guard because of Spanoulis' absence. Mantzaris is especially important because he is also a good defender. Though your line up is interesting.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    136
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Welcome Svoura. Nice to have you on the forum.
    I actually think that Katsikaris will go with 5 guards. Especially since all of them are very high quality guards. Not to mention that last year Katsikaris included Vassiliadis as a fifth guard because of Spanoulis' absence. Mantzaris is especially important because he is also a good defender. Though your line up is interesting.
    Katsikaris only included 4 ballhandlers last year, and he rarely played Mantzaris. He used a 3-guard rotation with Zisis, Calathes, Sloukas. And none of them was a legitimate 32-mpg player like Spanoulis will be this year. I do not think there are minutes available for a fifth guard, especially with such a strong core quartet.
    Fotis will probably save one spot for another big guy, or select a role player like sharpshooter Vassiliadis as his 12th man.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Italian Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Spanoulis-Koufous could be the best couple of play-pivot;deep team,a lot of experienced players,four or five elite european players!

    In my opinion this roster is the best after France,expecially if Marc Gasol won't join national team!

  20. #40
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,462
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svoura View Post
    Katsikaris only included 4 ballhandlers last year, and he rarely played Mantzaris. He used a 3-guard rotation with Zisis, Calathes, Sloukas. And none of them was a legitimate 32-mpg player like Spanoulis will be this year. I do not think there are minutes available for a fifth guard, especially with such a strong core quartet.
    Fotis will probably save one spot for another big guy, or select a role player like sharpshooter Vassiliadis as his 12th man.
    Doubt he will go for Vassiliadis over Mantzaris. The latter can shoot as good as the former, while he is also a better defender. Mantzaris didn't play that much last year because he wasn't good enough. Though this year he made tremendous progress. So naturally, Spanoulis will substitute Vassiliadis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Pride
    Spanoulis-Koufous could be the best couple of play-pivot;deep team,a lot of experienced players,four or five elite european players!

    In my opinion this roster is the best after France,expecially if Marc Gasol won't join national team!
    Roster wise perhaps. But we have to see how players will glue in the tournament.
    Last edited by Victorious; 06-17-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •