2015 Greek Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aenaon View Post
    Mantzaris is maybe the best "second role" guard in europe. Extremely consistent, excellent in organizing the defence, a machine allmost. He shares the role with zisis, and although I love Nikos, Mantzaris is my pick. However, Pappas shares the role with Sloukas, so if Pappas is in, Zisis is in and Sloukas is out I believe. Perperoglou is ok, but if the team goes for a more athletic setup, Jankotic or Papapetrou or Agravanis have the advantage.
    I like Mantzaris very much. He is a great defender and improved his bad shooting dynamic in last 2 years.

The Greek roster is really strong on paper. After thinking twice, mostly the future of NT, maybe picking up Mantzaris and Sloukas duo and Jankovic is the better option.
    IF YOU ARE NOT REAL CANARY, THEN FU

https://twitter.com/INTEGRAL1907

REPUBLIC of FENERBAHÇE 2017-18

Sloukas, B Dixon, Colom, R.Neto
    Wanamaker, Guduric, MeMa, Djedovic, Causeur
    Datome, Bertans, Nunnaly, Hanga, Lojeski, Ponitka, Ulanovas
    Melli, Kalinic, Shengelia, Bjelica, Teletovic
    Vesely, A.Düverioğlu, Marjanovic, Dubljevic, J Hamilton, Lauvergne, Jokic, Ante Zizic

Comment

Originally posted by INTEGRAL View Post
      I like Mantzaris very much. He is a great defender and improved his bad shooting dynamic in last 2 years.

The Greek roster is really strong on paper. After thinking twice, mostly the future of NT, maybe picking up Mantzaris and Sloukas duo and Jankovic is the better option.
      Sloukas is not ready yet to cary the load, but he can run the offence, he can change tempo and so on, Pappas on the other hand has some exceptional tallent hiden behind his incosistent nature. He could change level any time now, or never, he is a gamble.

thing is, Sloukas is in the same role as Spanoulis an Pappas, the primary guard. Mantzaris Zisis and Calathes is the other role, the supportive. Actually Calathes is the one I would let go, he is excellent when things are flowing, but his decision making in tight time frames, is not what Greek guards are about.

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
        New article about Greek NT: http://nba.sport24.gr/article/344393...i-anupomonisia

Possible Roster:
        Calathes, Mantzaris
        Spanoulis, Pappas
        Antetokounmpo, Papanikolaou
        Printezis, Kaimakoglou
        Bourousis, Koufos

Final guard spot contested between Zisis and Sloukas. Final SF/PF spot contested between Jankovic, Perperoglou, Papapetrou, Agravanis.
        Actually, the writer of the article puts Antekontoumpo at PF together with Printezis and Perperoglou at SF with Papanikolaou. Which is quite right since Perperoglou is in good form while Kaimakoglou has had a lot of injuries this year. Although, granted, I wouldn't like to leave him out.

So it's like this:

Calathes, Mantzaris
        Spanoulis, Pappas
        Perperoglou, Papanikolaou
        Printezis, Antetokoumpo
        Bourousis, Koufos

I think that putting Antetokoumpo in the PF position is kind of risky, because he's still rather inexperienced while Kaimakoglou is an experienced fighter.

What I liked about this line up is that Pappas is on it. I think he deserved it and Greece could use him, because and he is a clear cut shooting guard like Spanoulis. Not sure whether Katsikaris will follow suit though, because Sloukas was part of the team last year and he knows the system of play.

I'm guessing that Agravanis has good chances in being in the final team. Mostly because Greece's future in the center position is not secure.

That said, this roster has four natural scorers. Players who on average score double digits (Spanoulis, Pappas, Printezis, Antetokoumpo) in the EL or the NBA. Last year there was only one player (Printezis) on the roster who had double digits in his club team.
        Last edited by Victorious; 05-02-2015, 09:39 AM.
        PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

I think that in the NT the best players should play. Not the best prospects. For that we have club teams. A tournament is just a few weeks so you need to bring your best players. If Jankovic is better in the future, he should play for the NT.

Comment

With Koufos remembering he is Greek again after 3 years and Spanoulis back its actually a pretty strong team. Calathes, Koufos and Antetokoumpo doing great in the NBA.

I like Christodoulou's roster best with last 2 spots given to Sloukas and .... hmm difficult Jankovic/Agravanis.

Comment

First of all, let's wait until the summer to see who's going or not. Koufos was ready to join the NT last year too, right until the preparation began.

Antetokounmpo played many games as a pf this year and can play the sf as well. But with Papanikolaou's 3p shot having regressed that much (he got worse at barcelona, didn't make a single 3 in the world cup and remained bad this year) I think Perperoglou is definitely needed.
              Regardless of what we think, Zisis will be there. He always gives 110% for the NT and last year he was our best player.
              After Spanoulis and Zisis, I'd like to see Pappas for sure. On a day when nothing is clicking, it would be good to have the option of just telling him to do what he likes. I said the same thing last summer, he'd make a great X factor.
              One of Calathes, Sloukas and Mantzaris would not make it then and I'm glad I don't get to decide who. In any case, it will probably Pappas that gets left out.

Giankovits isn't young, he's 25 and he's not good enough. If he goes it will be the equivalent of us having Bramos in the NT right before he started applying for unemployment benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Oly_fan View Post
                First of all, let's wait until the summer to see who's going or not. Koufos was ready to join the NT last year too, right until the preparation began.

Antetokounmpo played many games as a pf this year and can play the sf as well. But with Papanikolaou's 3p shot having regressed that much (he got worse at barcelona, didn't make a single 3 in the world cup and remained bad this year) I think Perperoglou is definitely needed.
                Regardless of what we think, Zisis will be there. He always gives 110% for the NT and last year he was our best player.
                After Spanoulis and Zisis, I'd like to see Pappas for sure. On a day when nothing is clicking, it would be good to have the option of just telling him to do what he likes. I said the same thing last summer, he'd make a great X factor.
                One of Calathes, Sloukas and Mantzaris would not make it then and I'm glad I don't get to decide who. In any case, it will probably Pappas that gets left out.

Giankovits isn't young, he's 25 and he's not good enough. If he goes it will be the equivalent of us having Bramos in the NT right before he started applying for unemployment benefits.
                Giankovits is not good enough indeed. That was evident during this season at Pao. It's also not certain whether he will evolve to become a good enough player.

Also, Pappas mentioned in an interview that Katsikaris never used him at Bilbao and the he didn't like him at all as a player. So we may have to count out Pappas for the National Team. This may well turn the tie against the so far quite popular Katsikaris. At least, if he does not succeed.

Comment

Pappas out for 6 months. Big blow for Greek NT.

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
                    Pappas out for 6 months. Big blow for Greek NT.
                    Big blow indeed. Would have liked to see him with Spanoulis on his side.

So I guess it's clear now. If there are no more surprises or absences.
                    Spanoulis, Zisis, Mantzaris, Sloukas, Calathes are the SG and PG positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                      Big blow indeed. Would have liked to see him with Spanoulis on his side.

So I guess it's clear now. If there are no more surprises or absences.
                      Spanoulis, Zisis, Mantzaris, Sloukas, Calathes are the SG and PG positions.
                      Yes. I don't expect any surprises at these positions. These 5 are locks if healthy.

Comment

Greek NT 2015

The Greek lobby seems to be in sleep mode. Perhaps the economic crisis is the reason. Anyway.

Last year, Katsikaris convinced me that he was a very good choice as the first coach. The team played very good bb, they had chemistry, they were the best Greek NT since 2008. Although that they didn't have Spanoulis and there was only one center (Bourousis), they manage to win easily every team in their way until they coupled with Serbia in the round of 16. The Serbs were the big pleasant surprise of WC 2014, they played a fantastic game but even so, the game was undecided as long as Bourousis could withstand. At the point he got tired, the team collapsed and the Serbs dominated easily.

This year, theoretically, if we have the expected full roster (Spanoulis, Koufos, Sofo) then Greece is a big contender for a medal.

Comment

Calathes, Mantzaris, Zisis
                          Spanoulis, Sloukas, Pappas, Vasileiadis
                          Papanikolau, Antetokoumnpo, Perperoglou, Jankovic
                          Printezis, Kaimakoglou, Fotsis
                          Koufos, Bourousis, Sofo, Kefal

Any addition?

Vesely, A.Düverioğlu, Marjanovic, Dubljevic, J Hamilton, Lauvergne, Jokic, Ante Zizic

Comment

Kefal should be in the roster. He is hammering Olympiacos all alone.

Comment

Any addition?
                              This would be the sum of Greek players who are able to play for the Greek team. Yet, out of this group, Pappas is a sure no call since he is injured. Moreover, the coach will make a decision as to which 10-11 players are going to be on the final roster prior to the final selection which is at the end of the preparation phase. What I mean by this is that if Katsikaris decides that Koufos, Bourousis and Mavrokefalidis are going to be the three centers, then Sofo is not going to be called upon. Rather, a younger player like perhaps Agravanis will be invited instead to join the team for the preparation phase.
                              Last edited by Victorious; 06-10-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

When Radjulica was destroying us under the rim last year, I was thinking that the only Greek player who could give him a hard time defensively would be Sofo. In certain conditions Sofo could be an invaluable asset but his desire to play in the NT is the big question. Mavrokefalidis has high technique but his limited physical abilities make him a liability when he confronts high level tall and strong centers. Imo he is the 4th choice for center.
                                I don't think that there is a place for Vaseiliadis. Jankovic is below the competion for his position and Fotsis (although he had a great season) won't be called even for the preparation stage.

So, if everyone from the above list is available, I suppose that Katsikaris will keep one of Mavrokefalisis-Perperoglou-Sofo.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information