Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Is basketball declining as a sport?

  1. #21

    Default

    Basketball's popularity in the US is about to rise significantly due to football's inherent safety flaws. There is now indisputable evidence that playing any form of tackle football has an extremely high risk causing CTE (similar to dementia). American population is still largely ignorant about this issue, even college and pro players are largely unaware of the true extent of the issue. The biggest problem is that American media, and sports media in particular, lead by ESPN are covering up for the NFL and college leagues. It barely even gets mentioned except in reference to the lawsuit brought forth by former football athletes. The details of this lawsuit hardly get mentioned unlike the MLB steroid scandal. The only place where people can actually find true unbiased information about how the NFL has covered up its CTE problem is through public or independent media which unfortunately most people don't really care about. People falsely assume that this whole thing is just another frivolous class action lawsuit from disgruntled former pros. This stupid Ray Rice stuff doesn't even come close to CTE in terms of the danger it poses to the NFL. Watching all the silly analysts on ESPN this week describing the Ray Rice situation as the worst PR nightmare for the NFL just made me laugh. The CTE issue isn't just about concussions. There is evidence that the accumulation of all the small hits itself can lead to CTE. And it doesn't just affect the NFL. It affects football at all levels from pop warner to high school. Fact is, football's loss is basketball's gain. I'm surprised NBA owners haven't capitalized on this huge opportunity to inform the public about football's CTE problem.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    I admit that there is a legitimate question about whether or not playing football professionally can ever really be "safe" but I don't think that what football is to our country can ever really be done away with. I think once the culture of what is acceptable to do on a football field and an emphasis on correct form and no dirty or cheap hits can make the game a lot safer and be a lot more effective than the NFL's ridiculous rule changes that only deal with a symptom and not the real problem.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Modis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    818
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    In order for Basketball to start really rising there needs to be a stop of the US domination. Last years World Cup showed how US has left everyone behind. US just keeps progressing and progressing. I Dont see again anyone beating US in the Rio Olympics. Another good example especially with this years Eurobasket 2015, the amount of naturalised Americans playing for the Europeans is getting ridicolous. Thats how much US dominates this sport. Overall as a sport Basketball is declining in some parts of the world and on the rise in some parts of the world. I think in Europe it has declined the most. And in Asia Canada or Australia i heard its getting really populerised.
    Lithuania

    Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bballcrazy View Post
    I bet after the philippines have played in the world cup, more kids will want to play basketball knowing that the philippines can compete against the world, they might have a chance to stand on the world stage (No matter how small a chance) playing against other great players..
    remember that in the history of FIBA World Cup only the Philippines of all Asia had made it in the podium finishing 3rd in 1954, although basketball is not popular then... and after decades of non-relevant in the international scene... Philippines is here again thanks for some good Philanthropist who take over the leadership of Basketball in our country and now the Philippine Basketball Program is now right back on track...

    if you want to know the passion and popularity of Basketball in the Philippines, just read the book of Raf B. Pacific Rim

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    551
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    The popularity of NBA worldwide is growing, i never seen much support for nba players like i do now..
    FIBA however is declining... if your nation is not participating, you dont both watching.

  6. #26
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,411
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eshmawi View Post
    The popularity of NBA worldwide is growing, i never seen much support for nba players like i do now..
    FIBA however is declining... if your nation is not participating, you dont both watching.
    It's way more accesable now than it was before. So it's marketing that it's groin', not sports itself. NBA's basketball was way better some 20 years ago, that was the real game, without cheap fouls, stars protection, even regular season was watchable, now it's boring.
    FIBA basketball also on decline with generation of superstars goin' off the stage and so far nothing even close comming from youth generations. Last couple of decades or better say 20-30 years, was probably the golden era of internationall bball with so many powerhouses, so many star players, with almost none declining to play for NT, now in last few years is goin' down, that's really sad to see


  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    FIBA basketball also on decline with generation of superstars goin' off the stage and so far nothing even close comming from youth generations. Last couple of decades or better say 20-30 years, was probably the golden era of internationall bball with so many powerhouses, so many star players, with almost none declining to play for NT, now in last few years is goin' down, that's really sad to see
    The decline of mega stars - yes. The decline of FIBA basketball overall - no. I would even say basketball is growing in such countries as Finland, Estonia, Georgia, Ukraine, Belgium, Netherlands, Canada, Nigeria, Venezuela, China, Philippines and anothers. Most of these countries are more competitive and raised the bar. Also NBA register a record of international players in the league recently, partly due to their current oponness, but also because a lot of international countries are able to produce quality players. As for last 20-30 years, there were more teams to beat, but also more teams as a shark's meat. So overall the level is growing, at least not declining, IMO. The lack of superstar happened, but the competition is more equal and more interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  8. #28
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,411
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    The decline of mega stars - yes. The decline of FIBA basketball overall - no. I would even say basketball is growing in such countries as Finland, Estonia, Georgia, Ukraine, Belgium, Netherlands, Canada, Nigeria, Venezuela, China, Philippines and anothers. Most of these countries are more competitive and raised the bar. Also NBA register a record of international players in the league recently, partly due to their current oponness, but also because a lot of international countries are able to produce quality players. As for last 20-30 years, there were more teams to beat, but also more teams as a shark's meat. So overall the level is growing, at least not declining, IMO. The lack of superstar happened, but the competition is more equal and more interesting.
    It's more equal cause overall level of top teams dropped due to the same decent generations goin' off the stage. If some smaller nations improved here or there, it doesn't mean overall basketball is groin'. There were good smaller teams all the time, which made top teams work hard. And some of the teams you put as example now, shouldn't be on this list at all, some had better NTs in those last 20-30 years, in some basketball isn't groin' at all, federations are in mess f.e.
    Overall, the level of current international tournaments aren't even close to the ones we had in 00s f.e. Maybe more competitive due to the reason I wrote before, but it doesn't mean better


  9. #29

    Default

    How to explain international players in the NBA? The number is huge compared to 00's and it's growing every year now. And many of them are playing very important roles for strong clubs. NBA is declining? I don't by that, it's very relative. Basketball is still a game where strong players compete with each other and if you say 00s best teams also had troubles with smaller teams maybe those teams also weren't miles ahead of current powerhouses. Anyway, I think there's a bit of exaggeration here - some mega stars will go as Pau, Parker, Dirk, Manu but after these guys there where Jasikevicius, Kirilenko, Diamantidis, Navarro, Bodiroga, Hedo. Great players, but I really think that some of young International starts will be even better than those names and some will at their level. Just to name few - Wiggins, Greek Freak, Porzingis, JV, D-MO, Vucevic, Saric, Kanter, Rubio and many others. Some of those putting more promising numbers than 90's and 10's players were putting while their age. Everything is very relative. For example, we'll never know which Lithuanian team would prevail - 92 or 2003? First had few mega-stars, second was packed and deep with borderline star-players. Surely I have a feeling current young or peaking best FIBA players are underrated by some older posters because that's always happen However, I agree that there's little or none heirs for Pau, Dirk, Parker...but even here the picture might be misleading ATM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  10. #30
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,411
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    How to explain international players in the NBA? The number is huge compared to 00's and it's growing every year now. And many of them are playing very important roles for strong clubs. NBA is declining? I don't by that, it's very relative. Basketball is still a game where strong players compete with each other and if you say 00s best teams also had troubles with smaller teams maybe those teams also weren't miles ahead of current powerhouses. Anyway, I think there's a bit of exaggeration here - some mega stars will go as Pau, Parker, Dirk, Manu but after these guys there where Jasikevicius, Kirilenko, Diamantidis, Navarro, Bodiroga, Hedo. Great players, but I really think that some of young International starts will be even better than those names and some will at their level. Just to name few - Wiggins, Greek Freak, Porzingis, JV, D-MO, Vucevic, Saric, Kanter, Rubio and many others. Some of those putting more promising numbers than 90's and 10's players were putting while their age. Everything is very relative. For example, we'll never know which Lithuanian team would prevail - 92 or 2003? First had few mega-stars, second was packed and deep with borderline star-players. Surely I have a feeling current young or peaking best FIBA players are underrated by some older posters because that's always happen However, I agree that there's little or none heirs for Pau, Dirk, Parker...but even here the picture might be misleading ATM.
    92 or 2003 is tricky, but both could prevail over current one, I have no doubts here. There were just too much talent. The same like it was with Yugoslavia (Serbia/Montenegro) back in 90-early 00s, Lithuania, Argentina, Spain had just amazing teams in 00s, nothing close we have now looking at overall picture of international bball. France weren't worse with Parker in his prime, but even they just started to get smth on 10s when other teams started to go down. The same Germany, China with Dirk and Yao in prime was really competitive, Russia with Kirilenko and co. It was golden times of international bball IMO. You can turn any way you want, but currently we have no such level teams. Look at Pau, who is dominating at 35yo now. He never was so dominant even in his prime. That says smth I guess.
    Regarding NBA, it's way more open now than it was before. And with salary cap rising, more Europeans will go there, same might happen with China, their biggest clubs had ~20mln $ budgets few years ago, huge market, so US players already goes there instead of Europe.
    Overall, I don't know what will happen in 5-10 years, maybe we'll see some powerhouses again, Canada f.e., but currently, with generations changing, international bball is surely on decline IMO.


  11. #31
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ljubljana
    Posts
    12,734
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    Straight Forward, vast majority of euro NBA players are centers/PF's. There is a limited pool of those in the US and they are importing them accordingly, however very few guards make it. It's a no big deal to raise a center/PF, it mostly depends on the quantity of those you have available and the ammount of them playing bball. If you are 210cm tall or more you're being taken care of ussualy. Sure good training plays a noticable role, but raising a good 7 footer is a whole different thing than guards, which are a much better indicator of a bball popularity overall - along with other stuff needed to develop those, but the ammount of guards playing bball is decisive as you need a whole lot more of them playing bball for one of them to make it compared to 210cm+ guys.
    Bogdanović, Hezonja, Parker, Fournier, Batum, Belinelli, Dragič, Udrih, Vujačič, Rubio, Calderon, Schroeder, Antetokoumpo, Sefolosha
    With Calathes, Gordon, Deng that were basicaly raised in the US, that's mere 17 players playing or expected to play some noticable role in the NBA on PG, SG, SF out of about 180 guards on NBA rosters
    With Nurkić, Teletović, Ajinca, Diaw, Gobert, Lauvergne, Mahinmi, Noah, Seraphin, Turiaf, Pachulia, Nowitzki, Pleiss, Koufos, Bargnani, Galinari, Motiejunas, Valanciunas, Peković, Vučević, Gortat, Mozgov, Bjelica, Marc, Pau, Ibaka, Mirotić, Jerebko, Aldemir, Asik, Ilyasova, Kanter, Turkoglu, Len =34 PF or C's and probably most of those get to top100 C&PF's in NBA as far as their level goes

    NBA has opened up, that's it, however considering the talent coming up in the recent years, while it might be tough to say that level is regressing it's quite obvious it's not much of an improvement either. Those 75-83' born (there somewhere) players made a tremendous leap in terms of quality compared to NBA, it was the Jordan/Magic/Bird effect to a large degree, however since 2001 when Kirilenko, Pau and Parker entere the league along with Nowitzki, Manu, the gap kind of stalled and stopped decreasing, occasionaly quite the opposite and even from todays players I don't think any of those is likely to become some superstar there, to me it seems more like the US has further improved in quality (due to increased popularity) and Europe is kind of at the same level (at best) as in 2000-2005
    Let's wait and see how these players will pan out as well as how some promising 97' and 99' born will fare,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1
    Country: Afghanistan

    Default

    As much as I know basketball is actually in rise as a sport. But it's at the top of the hill right now if you know what I mean.Nox VidMate Mobdro

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,276
    Country: Singapore

    Default

    Basketball is rising in popularity worldwide. I think it might be the 2nd most played sports, especially if you include youths.

    Theres leagues growing everywhere. Even thailand/vietnam has their own pro bball league now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •