44. You may not vote on this poll
  • France

11 25.00%
  • Spain

33 75.00%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Quarterfinals: France - Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Martin View Post
    Last time when you thought that you are the best in Europe you lost from France, so keep it calm. I am not saying that you will lose from France today, but there is no need for BS.
    Even more calm? Is that possible?

Anyway, even you must concede last year's teams have nothing in common. 2013 Spain had no Pau, no Navarro, no Ibaka, and lost several close games before the semifinal. France had Tony Parker and wasn't severely beaten in the first round like this year. There's little ground for comparison here. A France win isn't out of the realm of possibility. But Spain is the heavy favourite today. And that's not bragging, it's simple common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DunkOnYou View Post
    Why bother talking to people that dont want to listen. Greeks, Serbians, Lithuanians, are absolutely green with envy and absolutely dumbfounded that a team from a country they dont respect sportwise or in general, is making their teams look bad tourney after tourney. Theres nothing they wish more than to see spain lose, or better, that team to dissapear from the international stage, replacing the old golden boys for fresh unskilled meat from the youth ranks. Personally, their laments are music for my eyes and ears. After everything is said and done, this team is going to be in the history books of european basketball as one of the best ever. That includes Yugoslavia.
    I don't know if talent-wise this generation belongs to history books. That's for others to decide. What really stands out, in my eyes, is the longevity of this group, the perception of something greater than a random mix of players gathered for a summer tournament. When other countries have problems recruiting their best players even for one tournament (I think Slovenia never fielded their best possible team, or Serbia changing the core every other year), the golden boys come summer after summer, and even when they take a rest, they still consider themselves a part of the group. I remember 2009 Eurobasket, when Calderon was injured and unable to play. He was hired as a color commentator and provided many interesting insights during matches. Once the final was over, he politely excused himself and run to the court to celebrate with his teammates, as he himself had been a key part of that title. Compare that behaviour with players from other countries who refuse to be called if some other player or coach they dislike is also in the team.
    Last edited by Darrell Armstrong; 09-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.

You are right about this Darrel, Spanish players only rarely seem to be canceling their national team for other reasons, that surely plays a part. Otherwise, I think we can already say it with certanty that this Spanish NT, no matter this tournament will go down in history books.

Looking forward to this match. Spain has been impressive yet I don't think France intends to go down easy. In the first game Spain started with a surreal 1st quarter and than kept the lead through the game, I honestly doubt such quarter is easily repeatable, so basicaly I expect a slow step by step crushing of the French and a +10 win for Spain - of course assuming France won't be commiting huge mistakes, as Spanish backcourt will surely punish those.

11:2 its OK

whats with pau, still sleaping

some excellent offensive passing game again from France, simply beautiful... they managed to stun Spain, whose bigs started shooting 3s...

edit: oh, Lamonica!
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 09-10-2014 at 08:35 PM.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by fasoulaki View Post
    After thinking for a while about your words I have to admit that you are perfectly right.
    This behavior is strongly related to emotions ... To be more precise ... to childish emotions!

It's the typical immature behavior of three year old kids which throw themeselves on the ground and start to scream and to yell to get one's own way.
    Thats our way of express ourselves, what we dont like are the cold people who dont express their emotions. Immature? Believing our way is the right one
    GASOLDEPENDENCE.... I love it

lamonica scum

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    I don't know what you mean by character, but the core of this team has been together for more than a decade, and has given more than enough proof of character no matter how you want to spin it. 2006 final vs. Greece with Pau in the sideline cheering his teammates and hugging them after every big play. Also, in the medal ceremony you could notice team captain Carlos Jiménez supporting coach Pepu Hernández. He was one of the few to know Pepu's father had died during the tournament, a fact he hid from his players not to disturb them during the championship run. In 2009, the players decided to surprise Felipe Reyes letting him receive the trophy instead of team captain Navarro, so he could dedicate it to his recently deceased father. The turnaround of the team after being in the brink of elimination in both Eurobasket 2009 and last Olympics semifinal game against Russia are also examples of the fighting spirit they possess.

I also don't know what you mean by fairness and sportsmanship. I think, though, that you'd be hard pressed to find instances of the Spain NT disrespecting rival teams regardless of their ranking, or shifting the blame for defeats to referees or external causes. Also, other than Rudy's antics, it's quite rare to see an spanish player starting a fight or even giving out hard fouls. For years, the closer thing to an enforcer we've had is Reyes, who's tough and can play dirty under the basket, but he's nothing like the guys we were used to: Quique Andreu, Ińaki De Miguel, Felipe's brother Alfonso, who was nicknamed Robocop for a reason, current coach Orenga (who was called Orengutan), and many other fouling machines who really put the hurt on opposing players.
    Totally agree 👍
    GASOLDEPENDENCE.... I love it

this team is supposed to threaten the united states? give me a break! 28 points in a half? horrible!

they will probably still win this game because france has no offense. but serbia has a legitimate shot against these stiffs.

Well at least France is putting a fight. I dont think they can keep it up in the second half. Spain is just waiting to erupt. A couple of three pointers few steals and it will be over for France I'm afraid.

diaw schools brothers and ibaka

Who would have thought it? Pack the middle. Foul often and hard. Slow down the tempo. Take no risks. Shoot (and make) three pointers. Recipe for beating Spain since 2007. I hope Spain can shake it off in the second half and make it an entertaining game. Unless the spanish guards can start scoring from the perimeter, the bigs won't have room to operate and this game will drag along towards a do-or-die finish.

france coach prepared very food game plan.On the other hand spain coach is useless,doing nothing to change game .To hold this spain offence under 30 in 2 querters is something

Umm..aint Rubio fouling on every possession without no whistle? In Euroleague he couldnt play five minutes this way.
    EDIT: Now DIaw gets a foul when Marc Gasol just runs over him, great...

Quote Originally Posted by DunkOnYou View Post
    Why bother talking to people that dont want to listen. Greeks, Serbians, Lithuanians, are absolutely green with envy and absolutely dumbfounded that a team from a country they dont respect sportwise or in general, is making their teams look bad tourney after tourney. Theres nothing they wish more than to see spain lose, or better, that team to dissapear from the international stage, replacing the old golden boys for fresh unskilled meat from the youth ranks. Personally, their laments are music for my eyes and ears. After everything is said and done, this team is going to be in the history books of european basketball as one of the best ever. That includes Yugoslavia.
    You are mixing Greeks, Serbians and Lithuanians with people in general. If Greece or Serbia or Lithuania had that strong team, as Spain does now, and Spain would have the team, of current level of Greece or Serbia or LTU, you would also probably hear many Spaniards saying the same things. You would probably be same yourself. And if you would not be the same, you would just probably stay silent and read and would not react at all, and nobody would know that you are somewhere and think different, but those crybaby countrymen of yours would come and lament here. And this is valid for all the people.
    Kicking around on a piece of ground

Then again, even without referee help France looks like deer in the headlights...60-point half from Spain coming.

punk move by pau. didn't expect that from him.

Yeah...why would Spain rough-up the game when they are up by 30 eh???

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast