Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Mexico surpassed Puerto Rico as the regional power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Mexico surpassed Puerto Rico as the regional power?

Mexico has won four straight in the series against PR, defeating them in last year's FIBA Americas Championship and in yesterday's Centrobasket Championship final. Puerto Rico has a long legacy in basketball and their future will be secure as senior players slowly get replaced by up-in-coming youngsters in the years to come. This generation of Mexican players are probably the best crop in 50 years, so their time is now and they're taking advantage of it. Although the Dominicans have had success against Puerto Rico in recent years, you probably have to go back to the Cuban teams of the late 90s the last time Puerto Rico had a regional challenger this strong.
    Last edited by Federoy; 08-08-2014, 04:36 AM.

I wouldn't say Mexico surpassed Puerto Rico, especially since latter played without some key players in Centrobasket, but obviously they got really close

Comment

Nope, but the gap is closer
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
        Mexico has won four straight in the series against PR, defeating them in last year's FIBA Americas Championship and in yesterday's Centrobasket Championship final. Puerto Rico has a long legacy in basketball and their future will be secure as senior players slowly get replaced by up-in-coming youngsters in the years to come. This generation of Mexican players are probably the best crop in 50 years, so their time is now and they're taking advantage of it. Although the Dominicans have had success against Puerto Rico in recent years, you probably have to go back to the Cuban teams of the late 90s the last time Puerto Rico had a regional challenger this strong.
        Yes they have surpassed us, and I hope they burn in hell!

But in truth, the only quality win in the 4 games was the Gold medal game last year. Its pretty obvious we cant beat them without our best players anymore.

This mexican team is fun to watch, except for Gutierrez' s dirty plays.
        Originally posted by J-Mart
        the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
        sigpic

Comment

No, they have not. Let's not forget that our first loss, Arroyo, Barea and Balkman didn't play, while our second loss it was by only 2 points in a very close match. This year Puerto Rico not only missed many of the best players(Arroyo, Santiago, Balkman, Huertas, Holland, thats pretty much our starting lineup) but sent a lot of young players that played for the first time or second time, especially in such a tough tournament. Now these games were played in Mexico so they played in a hostile environment.

If both teams sent their best players (not sure, but I think Mexico only missed Mata, someone please correct me) I'm sure Puerto Rico would win more often than not. Last nights game was very tough because we could not get to the FT line, they shot 24 times while we only shot 10 in such a physical game.

Regarding Gutierrez playing dirty, I disagree, he played mental games against our players and our players are always weak minded when it comes to this type of stuff. If someone played dirty, it was Ayon, specially when he tried to knee Rosario in the face and then "apologized".

Comment

I don't think we have surpased PR yet, but a Mexico bball side without all the problems we used to have because of politics can actually play... it's good to see, and I hope the good days continue.

Comment

Canada has far more young talent than either Mexico or PR.

Just a matter of time until that shows up on the score sheet at the Mens level. Likely this summer....

It has proven out at the junior levels for the last 5 plus years.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information