Lithuanians in NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
    you really don't think any team is gonna offer him a solid contract after the way he's been playing for Grizz during these years?
    if so, you are even more deluded than I ever thought of you lmao. Btw, JV is actually having a better overall season than Sabonis this year, despite his contrived "All Star" status and losing effort for the Pacers...
    Contract, sure. Contending team contract, unlikely. That's my point.

No. I don't think so. We don't know what JV's efficiency would be if he would play Sabonis' minutes.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
      JV is fighter and a great guy, I should give him more credit than I recently did, but what will be his next contract actually?
      I suspect that Jonas might be forced to sign for only about $13.5MM per year. Poor Eglė may then have to economize and clip grocery store coupons like other housewives.

Last edited by Hepcat; 04-10-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Contract, sure. Contending team contract, unlikely. That's my point.

No. I don't think so. We don't know what JV's efficiency would be if he would play Sabonis' minutes.
        oh yes, we pretty much do know that - it's a known fact JV's play only gets better if he gets involved in the game more and his efficiency never goes down unless he starts forcing bad shots(which he never does anyway). Sabonis, on the other hand, is limited by his short wingspan and despite all of his skills he will always struggle to finish in the paint against longer players

Comment

• For me biggest value in Valanciunas is 100 top world level player with zero ego that a real gift to any coach + he comes every summer even to qualification games to help our NT.

I will always defend such players that comes and competes hard every summer with our green jersey and never complains he gets 10 or 25min.For him its all about the team.

Those last 15min against France in 2019 shown me how much Jonas cares about our NT.

There is max 10 players from worlds top 100 players list with such humble character + right now he is at the peak of his powers when brain comes together with athletic abilites at 28.

This nba season just shows his maturity level he is on right now.Yes he is not perfect player,but in some matchups he can be real pain in ass even for best of best worlds bigs.

Valanciunas is simply better center today than Clippers,Lakers,Bucks,Nets main centers are. I dont buy he couldnt play for good nba team those centers 20min .
          Last edited by Shawshank; 04-10-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
            For me biggest value in Valanciunas is 100 top world level player with zero ego that a real gift to any coach + he comes every summer even to qualification games to help our NT.

I will always defend such players that comes and competes hard every summer with our green jersey and never complains he gets 10 or 25min.For him its all about the team.
            Exactly!

Comment

Valanciunas is simply better center today than Clippers,Lakers,Bucks,Nets main centers are. I dont buy he couldnt play for good nba team those centers 20min .
              Not that he couldn't...If someone would have motivation he could be third best offensive player on 90's Champs team. But it's 20's. The reason why Raptors traded good offensive player Valanciunas (in his prime) for M. Gasol is that today no-one wants to feed their centers. They want centers to get the f...out from the paint and to allow as much room for primarily ball handling stars/superstars. Gasol could shoot threes, could facilitate from perimeter and to play better D then JV. Lakers also need Gasol and Drummond for the same reason. Jazz needs Gobert. Blazers Nurkic ect. Just play D and be invisibly efficient at O. JV's best asset is pure, direct offense. Feed the guy inside, give him touches and he will be fired up, he will be tough under the boards and will give you buckets. But that's not how NBA works today. The same Grizzlies in previous decade with prime M. Gasol and Z-Bo showed that this basketball may be effective, but won't provide titles. That's why in 2020 NBA drafts first round we see only 2 centers from 30 players...you can count the percentage.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Not that he couldn't...If someone would have motivation he could be third best offensive player on 90's Champs team. But it's 20's. The reason why Raptors traded good offensive player Valanciunas (in his prime) for M. Gasol is that today no-one wants to feed their centers. They want centers to get the f...out from the paint and to allow as much room for primarily ball handling stars/superstars. Gasol could shoot threes, could facilitate from perimeter and to play better D then JV. Lakers also need Gasol and Drummond for the same reason. Jazz needs Gobert. Blazers Nurkic ect. Just play D and be invisibly efficient at O. JV's best asset is pure, direct offense. Feed the guy inside, give him touches and he will be fired up, he will be tough under the boards and will give you buckets. But that's not how NBA works today. The same Grizzlies in previous decade with prime M. Gasol and Z-Bo showed that this basketball may be effective, but won't provide titles. That's why in 2020 NBA drafts first round we see only 2 centers from 30 players...you can count the percentage.
                M.Gasol trade was because Raptors got superstar for one year and went all in and it worked.But today 2 years after there is no doubt who is better player.Raptors have nothing inside now and looks like lottery team even having good guards in team.

Drummond is even worse defender than Valanciunas and slower yes slower .If Valanciunas is Grizzlie, Drummond is like fat bear.

Valanciunas can surely give what Zubac gives for clippers, what Drummond gives to Lakers, what Lopez gives to bucks or what Jordan gives to nets in those 20 min.

Grizzlies wouldn't trade Jonas in 1 for 1 for any of those 4 centers that play for contenders at C.

Jonas best asset is that he in top 5 best worlds rebounders list ! and that can help any team in any era. Jonas character is perfect to be that 6 or 7th guy on playoofs team and not get the ball and still do all that dirty wrestling job inside.

Nba rings you win only if you have superstar top 10 player .If not no system will work.Smaller markets understand they have no shot getting such players (unless they draft them), so for them such europe calibre players like Valanciunas is keeper that will not quit on their small city team.

I easily can see Valanciunas 4 years from now joining some elite team as M.Gasol or Ilgauskas did in veteran years and play for minimum for the title .

Now Jonas is simply to good to play for minimum.But that he could give elite team today what those washed up centers does for minimum no doubt.
                Last edited by Shawshank; 04-11-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

M.Gasol trade was because Raptors got superstar for one year and went all in and it worked.But today 2 years after there is no doubt who is better player.Raptors have nothing inside now and looks like lottery team even having good guards in team.

Drummond is even worse defender than Valanciunas and slower yes slower .If Valanciunas is Grizzlie, Drummond is like fat bear.

Valanciunas can surely give what Zubac gives for clippers, what Drummond gives to Lakers, what Lopez gives to bucks or what Jordan gives to nets in those 20 min.

Grizzlies wouldn't trade Jonas in 1 for 1 for any of those 4 centers that play for contenders at C.

Jonas best asset is that he in top 5 best worlds rebounders list ! and that can help any team in any era. Jonas character is perfect to be that 6 or 7th guy on playoofs team and not get the ball and still do all that dirty wrestling job inside.

Nba rings you win only if you have superstar top 10 player .If not no system will work.Smaller markets understand they have no shot getting such players (unless they draft them), so for them such europe calibre players like Valanciunas is keeper that will not quit on their small city team.

I easily can see Valanciunas 4 years from now joining some elite team as M.Gasol or Ilgauskas did in veteran years and play for minimum for the title .

Now Jonas is simply to good to play for minimum.But that he could give elite team today what those washed up centers does for minimum no doubt.
                  Maybe. There are some occasion when powerhouses take some centers who are not particularly sufficient to my described model. But very often they do it because they can't do it better. They spend a lot of money of their superstars and then they go with whatever is available. Since Ilgauskas days NBA changed a lot. Ilgauskas could hit those gimmies and stand in the pain defensively. Now NBA teams want centers to move their feet. That's why I doubt that any contending team would take JV. It's possible, but unlikely, IMO. We'll see. JV shows great ability to adjust to any situation and that's real PRO attitude, no objections here.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Maybe. There are some occasion when powerhouses take some centers who are not particularly sufficient to my described model. But very often they do it because they can't do it better. They spend a lot of money of their superstars and then they go with whatever is available. Since Ilgauskas days NBA changed a lot. Ilgauskas could hit those gimmies and stand in the pain defensively. Now NBA teams want centers to move their feet. That's why I doubt that any contending team would take JV. It's possible, but unlikely, IMO. We'll see. JV shows great ability to adjust to any situation and that's real PRO attitude, no objections here.
                    I will just say this right now bring this peak mature Valanciunas version to Raptors with Lowry,Siakam,Annunoby,Trent,Vanfleet and raptors have overall 50% of wins and stands somewhere between 4 and 6th spot in east.

Yeah Valanciunas will not win you a ring,but for small market team he helps alot making playoofs and maybe win a round in it.

Right now looks like Grizzlies will be 8th in west and will meet Jazz. Im sure Gobert is not happy to see that for 5 games he will have to guard lithuanian Grizzlie and get all that beating .Rudy would rather see some Warriors or Spurs with rookie Wiseman or Poeltle and have easy life individually in first round matchup.
                    Last edited by Shawshank; 04-11-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Jonas - 34 pts + 22 reb against Pacers and Domas. When i saw the numbers i only thought "Is this normal"? In Europe he would be doubled all the time. Sabonis can't defend a strong big center.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
                        Jonas - 34 pts + 22 reb against Pacers and Domas. When i saw the numbers i only thought "Is this normal"? In Europe he would be doubled all the time. Sabonis can't defend a strong big center.
                        One game conclusions alert... JV is on the beast mode, nothing to take away from him, but I don't remember that JV would dominate Domas in their match ups all the time. Mind that Sabonis coming back after injury, surely wasn't putting his body 100% there. Domas is not a good defender, but with his muscle core he can deal with any big in the league basically. It has little to do with Domas. If JV get rolling, he can can get those +30 pts NBA nights.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Valanciunas is best version of himself this season he ever was.

Like in most cases around 28 old age when brain meets athletic abilities at same level.

Sabas and Marcela 1992 at 28
                          Jasikevicius 2004 at 28
                          Siskauskas 2007 at 28
                          Kalnietis 2013 at 27
                          Valanciunas 2021 at 28

27-30 range is golden period for most basketball players.
                          Last edited by Shawshank; 04-12-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

27-30 range is golden period for most basketball players.
                            So Valanciunas, Giedraitis, Ulanovas, Lekavicius, Grigonis, Gudaitis in that range this summer. Couple of youngsters (Tadas and Jokubaitis) and couple of vets (Kalnas, Kuz). Seems to be decent balance. If we would have at least one elite dominant guard in this roster, I would like our chances in 2021 OG.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• JV looks more ripped recently. With age getting smarter, working on his body and probably balanced his diet as well:

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

So Valanciunas, Giedraitis, Ulanovas, Lekavicius, Grigonis, Gudaitis in that range this summer. Couple of youngsters (Tadas and Jokubaitis) and couple of vets (Kalnas, Kuz). Seems to be decent balance. If we would have at least one elite dominant guard in this roster, I would like our chances in 2021 OG.
                                That's what I'm repeating here those 1992-1994 born is ready to win now and their club seasons are showing that.

Obviuosly we will need to get some luck somewhere on the road and hope maskoliunas atleast will be solid.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information