Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 201 to 216 of 216

Thread: Serbia national team 2014

  1. #201
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    961
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    Just a quick question to all the Serbians here...

    Honestly how many of you would have expected this team to make it to the Finals?
    What were your expectations before the tournament regarding your team?

    How about the basketball media and analysts in Serbia? Were any optimistic enough that this Serbian team could reach this far into the tournament?

    I remember before the tournament started quite a few members were surprised with Sasha's player selection since he chose too many centers and PF's for the team... and that this might lead to bad results or not the best results.
    I am surprised enough that I would allow Djordjevic to slap me because of what I was saying before (but not too hard, not the backhand slap level ).
    My expectations:
    Not getting to the KO round = failure
    Getting to the KO round = expected
    Getting to the 1/4 finals = success, so technically I was happy after the Greece game (though like everyone after that game I thought we can go for the bronze)

    One of the things that blindsided me was some of our plays in the preparation games. Teo and Bogdan exploded after the group phase and that didn't happen in the prep games, we made a lot of mistakes during most games, our game was often missing ideas. Another important fact in the prep games and in the group phase Djordjevic rotated players at least for one degree more, now he keeps his main guns for about 25-30 minutes in the game, technically you have about 6 players playing about 25-30 minutes in average (Teo, Bogdan, Raduljica, Bjelica, Markovic, Krstic).
    Like Josko Poljak Fan said, it was visible in Serbia's group play that maybe we are tunning our form for the KO round. I think this competition format really really helped us. We knew all our opponents until the end of the tournament after the third round of group play.
    Look at it like this, you have to prepare yourself for Greece, as it was obvious after 3 games that they will take the group B. And you have Brazil and Spain afterwards, and who are your opponents in the last 2 rounds of group stage? Brazil and Spain. So use those games as prep games for the KO phase and prepare for Greece.

    Four centers were the issue. When he made the roster the only thing that made real sense to me was that he brought some of these unexpected guys because he wanted them to play defense. Also, you know how sports teams are, the team spirit is important, so even the guys that are always on the bench mean something, while I saw them as dead weight as there are at least one or two players that would give us more depth. But that decision was based probably on Krstic being raw after injury and other centers needed until Krstic would come into shape and again Stimac/Katic being more dominant defenders than young Mitrovic. Also young Mitrovic would be more restless about warming the bench, while Katic and Stimac are more mature players (team spirit stuff).

    You have a lot of overly optimistic analysts, there were people in Serbia expecting that we could fight our way up to bronze (not that we will), but no one expected the finals, especially not us here on the forum

  2. #202
    Senior Member Khalid80's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    11,102
    Country: Lebanon

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milos.Djuric View Post
    I am surprised enough that I would allow Djordjevic to slap me because of what I was saying before (but not too hard, not the backhand slap level ).
    My expectations:
    Not getting to the KO round = failure
    Getting to the KO round = expected
    Getting to the 1/4 finals = success, so technically I was happy after the Greece game (though like everyone after that game I thought we can go for the bronze)

    One of the things that blindsided me was some of our plays in the preparation games. Teo and Bogdan exploded after the group phase and that didn't happen in the prep games, we made a lot of mistakes during most games, our game was often missing ideas. Another important fact in the prep games and in the group phase Djordjevic rotated players at least for one degree more, now he keeps his main guns for about 25-30 minutes in the game, technically you have about 6 players playing about 25-30 minutes in average (Teo, Bogdan, Raduljica, Bjelica, Markovic, Krstic).
    Like Josko Poljak Fan said, it was visible in Serbia's group play that maybe we are tunning our form for the KO round. I think this competition format really really helped us. We knew all our opponents until the end of the tournament after the third round of group play.
    Look at it like this, you have to prepare yourself for Greece, as it was obvious after 3 games that they will take the group B. And you have Brazil and Spain afterwards, and who are your opponents in the last 2 rounds of group stage? Brazil and Spain. So use those games as prep games for the KO phase and prepare for Greece.

    Four centers were the issue. When he made the roster the only thing that made real sense to me was that he brought some of these unexpected guys because he wanted them to play defense. Also, you know how sports teams are, the team spirit is important, so even the guys that are always on the bench mean something, while I saw them as dead weight as there are at least one or two players that would give us more depth. But that decision was based probably on Krstic being raw after injury and other centers needed until Krstic would come into shape and again Stimac/Katic being more dominant defenders than young Mitrovic. Also young Mitrovic would be more restless about warming the bench, while Katic and Stimac are more mature players (team spirit stuff).

    You have a lot of overly optimistic analysts, there were people in Serbia expecting that we could fight our way up to bronze (not that we will), but no one expected the finals, especially not us here on the forum
    Thanks for the reply bro. Much appreciated

    I personally really enjoy watching how your team is playing in this tournament and you guys by far are the most organized i've seen with Teodosic leading the helm under the guidance of Sasha...
    The team spirit is great and many of us didn't really think much of this Serbian team during the first round... The eye opener was the game against Greece in which this Serbian team almost played a perfectly executed game....

    I'm sure many of your players agents will get lots of phone calls from NBA teams once this WC is over...

    All the best of luck in the final!

  3. #203
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Wow upon reading the first part of this thread you would think that a disaster is going to happen for the Serbs. But look at them now, no one would even think on how far they've got.
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  4. #204
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exitche View Post
    I hope this nightmare finishes ASAP so Kokoskov can take over NT
    Upon reading his profile he seems to be good. But with the result of this tournament changes your stand about Djordevic?
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  5. #205
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    276
    Country: Greece

    Default

    guys,i know it is very early to talk for eurobasket,but can someone try to guess the roster.or 15-16 players that will compete for the final roster.thank you

  6. #206
    Senior Member ThePeraCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    1,651
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Upon reading his profile he seems to be good. But with the result of this tournament changes your stand about Djordevic?
    Yes i eat all shit i said but we will see at Eurobasket
    As for the roster it is hard to say we have now tonshit players that are in good shape and now every1 wants to play for NT after WC
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

  7. #207
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    55
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giorgos Alexopoulos View Post
    guys,i know it is very early to talk for eurobasket,but can someone try to guess the roster.or 15-16 players that will compete for the final roster.thank you
    Milos Teodosic
    Stefan Markovic
    Stefan Jovic
    Nikola Radicevic
    Vasilije Micic
    Nenad Miljenovic

    Dragan Milosavljevic
    Bogdan Bogdanovic
    Nemanja Nedovic

    Nikola Kalinic
    Vladimir Lucic
    Aleksandar Pavlovic

    Nemanja Bjelica
    Zoran Erceg
    Milan Macvan
    Luka Mitrovic
    Nikola Jokic

    Miroslav Raduljica
    Boban Marjanovic
    Ognjen Kuzmic
    Vladimir Stimac

    Micov will not play 100%(he had a fight with Djordjevic).

    Krstic is retired.

    We dont know much about Aleksandar Pavlovic. Will he play for Serbia? Or Montenegro? Or maybe he won't play for any national team? Montenegro will not play Eurobasket 2015 and that means that they will not play on OG 2016. So, Pavlovic be too old in 2017, if he wants to play international competitions, he will have to choose Serbia. In that way, we can even maybe hope that Mirotic will play for Serbia :-)

    Also, maybe some of this players will be invited

    Nemanja Jaramaz
    Ognjen Jaramaz
    Stefan Peno

    Dejan Todorovic
    Branko Lazic
    Nemanja Dangubic
    Rade Zagorac

    Marko Simonovic
    Marko Keselj

    Stefan Bircevic
    Stevan Jelovac

    Nikola Milutinov
    Djordje Gagic
    Stefan Nastic
    Rasko Katic
    Dejan Musli

  8. #208
    Senior Member serbianhoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    879
    Country: Monaco

    Default

    With all due respect, I stopped reading your post at "Vasilije Micic"

  9. #209
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    55
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    That list has nothing to do with me or my opinion. There are 36 players, and he definitely deserves to be there. I didnt put him in top 12. He is playmaker in Euroleague club so ofcourse that he will be candidate.

    Also, Dusko Savanovic said that he wants to play, so he can be candidate number 37 but i dont think that Djordjevic will call him.

  10. #210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pera Peric View Post
    Nemanja Jaramaz
    Ognjen Jaramaz
    Where are they from? This lastname is a bit weird.

    Has ever Serbia had players coming from other ethnic groups in the country? I remember brothers Nađfeji who - if I'm not wrong - were sons of Hungarian father from Vojvodina and Serbian mother and probably Darko Balaban has some Ruthenian roots.
    In the past Lukovski who's Slavomacedonian but I'm not including him since he was born in Fyrom and not in Serbia.
    Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

  11. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    6,890
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Jaramaz sounds Turkish Yaramaz = useless

    Maybe Hungarian. Turkish and Hungarian languages have same words because Hungarians ancestors were Turkish, Atilla

  12. #212
    Senior Member slice me nice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    1,677
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    There are around 8000 Turkish words in Serbian. 400 of them are used in daily life frequently.

  13. #213
    Senior Member serbianhoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    879
    Country: Monaco

    Default

    Jaramaz is a quite rare surname in former Yugoslavia, it's a serbian variation of turkish surname Yaramaz which can be translate in english by "naughty", "unrully", "good for nothing", "useless" or "bad". Most of Jaramaz living in former Yugoslavia (Serbia/Croatia/Bosnia and Montenegro) are ethnic Serbs (othodox christians). But you can find few Jaramaz who are Muslims in Bosnia and even few Catholics in Croatia. The last name by itself doesn't mean that they have direct Turkish roots but more likely that some of their ancestors were surnamed Jaramaz during the Ottoman Empire occupation of the Balkan area. According to legend, the surname was given by the Agha Pervanagic of Trebinje (an ottoman military functionary) to Serb Luka Maleš after the latter shot at him. Allegedly before dying Pervanagic said "Luka Jaramaz kills me"

    Balaban surmane is a similar case. Balaban and its variations is a common surname in the area who were once under the rule of the Ottoman Empire or the Russian Empire (Balabanov / Balabanovic / Balabanian / Balabanishvili) . It came respectively from a Turkish word meaning "robust", "burly", "big man" (in Greece Balabanis / Balabanidis / Balabanos / Balabanopoulos ) or a Russian word meaning "hawk" (among Russians, Ukrainians, Belorussians and Ashkenazic Jews) which could also be an occupational name for a falconer. In Ukrainian and Belorussian balaban also means "chatterer", "talker".

  14. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    6,890
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    + What is your name?
    - Jaramaz
    + Sounds great. What does it mean?
    - Bad, naughty, useless, good for nothing
    +

  15. #215

    Default

    Hvala guys!
    Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

  16. #216

    Default

    Great team.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •