No announcement yet.

Eurobasket 2015 will be held in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it is not France. Quite expensive country and people don't want to speak English which makes it stupid place to visit.

Yesterday there was first time in Finnish media that there's been discussion that Finland and Baltic countries could share the competition. Earlier I said why I can't see Finland hosting those games but there is one more reason. There is no basketball halls that are big enough and basketball game in ice hockey hall is boring because audience have to sit too far away from field.

I rather like to see competition shared by Estonia and Latvia. It takes me 2 hour ferry trip to go Tallinn so I could even sleep in home. Estonia is little bit cheaper than Finland, there's basketball culture and people are overall very nice. It's been 10 years I visit Latvia last time so no opinion yet. But if my wife's brother makes it to U16 national team (which he easily does if healthy) I definetly visit there next summer before I fly to Spain.

Comment

This site is reporting that Eurobasket 2015 was transfered to Lithuania.
      tv3.lt rasite karščiausias naujienas lietuvoje šiandien, TV3 žinių reportažai, verslas, sportas, pramogos, gyvenimo istorijos, komentarai, nuotraukos ir video.
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
        This site is reporting that Eurobasket 2015 was transfered to Lithuania.
        http://www.balsas.lt/naujiena/783096...vyks-lietuvoje
        happy april fools' day

Comment

So far I'm reading about France, Croatia, Poland and loads of other options that after a consideration seem more like local bball functionars trying to get in the media for those few minutes, than some serious eurobasket 2015 race.

Poland held an eurobasket 6 years ago, even if I'm reading some interviews with some guys from their federation saying they've got the best infrastructure in europe, that's not really the case to be honest, they've hosted the championship in 09 already and not many Poles really cared back than. I didn't come across any news claiming they applied officialy, their bball federation might take this as a publicity stunt as well.

France has troubles with Bercy as the arena won't be renovated in time. I am not too familiar with French arenas apart from Bercy, they've got a lot of those medium sized 5.000-7.000 arena's available, but not many modern 10.000+ capacity ones which Fiba should in my opinion seek for a competition like this. A big + is the fact that eurobasket 2015 will represent the last time their golden generation will play complete and making Parker, Diaw, Pietrus, Turriaf as well as some others that might play for France for a bit longer to say farewell to their NT on their home soil would mean a lot to both France as well as Fiba in my opinion.

My favourite, not only personal favourite due to vicinity to Slovenia, but mostly due to general conditions, would be Croatia. Since eurobasket 2013 was hosted by Slovenia that's a bit of a minus for them as it's almost as if the event taking in the same place. Apart from that, they've got by far most tourist capacities around, all of that for available prices along that, vicinity of Italy, Slovenia, BiH, Serbia, lorries to Greece/Italy, their coast is packed with Germans, Czech, Scandinavians at that time of year anyway etc. guarantee attendance records, which Fiba surely takes into the account. 16.000 capacity Zagreb arena, 12.300 cap Split arena and 10.000 capacity Krešimir Čosić arena in Zadar are the venues only the likes of Spain, Germany can surpass as far as both quality and capacity goes.

edit: obviously vice president of Serbian bball federation, Dejan Bodiroga confirmed Serbia is officaly in the rate too.
          Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 05-08-2014, 12:51 PM.
          Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
          That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Turkey and Spain are also interested hosting the eurobasket in 2015, reports talkbasket.

I like this quote
            However, splitting the group stage in four different countries is unlikely to be acceptable to FIBA Europe, especially considering the fact that Olympic spots shall be awarded in this tournament.
            Considering Spain is hosting the World championship this year, I guess Turkey has an edge in comparison.
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

FIBA announced that there are 8 official bids for the Eurobasket.

IMO FIBA should organize it in multiple countries simultaneously. The four Groups should go to four different countries, meaning a different host for each country. after that two of these countries will continue to organize the second round. And finally one of these four countries should be the main host where the final rounds should be organized.

This way, there will be at least four countries which will play in full arena's. This increases the revenues as well as the TV ratings for FIBA Europe.
              PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Latvia, Poland and Turkey placed bids

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                  Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Latvia, Poland and Turkey placed bids
                  So Ukraine can't host it because it's a warzone, but Israel can? I am confused.
                  http://basketballfuture.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think Fiba will consider this candidature as a likely one from that very same reason.

There is nothing definite about the venues of various candidatures yet.
                    I've read in some French source they are planning to transform a football stadium into a bball court, in any case they are limited with infrastructure.
                    Germany has the best infrastructure avalable if they decide to use it, yet their federation ussualy seems to be constantly having troubles getting the money required.
                    Turkey has it all, yet hosted a WC in 2010, as a minor obstacle comapred to Germany and France that haven't hosted any serious tournament for 15+years or so.
                    Croatia has the tourist capacities and 3 great arenas, yet the last eurobasket was hosted by Slovenia which is a bit too near
                    I'm sure Finland has some nice arenas ussualy used for Hockey
                    Poland built some new places, but hosted the tournament not so long ago
                    I'm not too knowledgable about Latvian infrastructure, Lithuania hosting it in 2011 makes it a simmilar case to Slovenia/Croatia right now
                    I don't think Fiba would risk with Israel and even if place gets extremely peacefull immeditately, neither would the fans in my opinion

I would like eurobasket to be hosted by a country that would enable large attendance and would attract fans, even if we are talking about september and make the best out of the tournament. I can't find the stats from 09' eurobasket, but as far as I recall has reached profit for their federation, 11' EB in Lithuania had 1M€ profit from it, 13' EB Slovenia made 0.5 M profit for organizers, 0.4 M for state from VAT (paid 6M to FIba, got 6.4M from additional VAT) and the number would be higher if it wasn't for the fact we Slovenians can't agree on basicaly anything including the financial contribution of the communities for such event...
                    And there are tons of oppurtunity to improve that. Selling individual tickets instead of the daily tickets was the right thing to do, as it enabled more supporters to come, moving at least the group stages towards august would do wonders to demand in that regard, just as larger capacity of the arenas would with time.
                    So basicaly I'm supporting any country that will help the event grow into the 2nd euro event behind football championship and won't keep eurobasket around the organisational level of handball and ice hockey, as it's potential is bigger than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                      I don't think Fiba will consider this candidature as a likely one from that very same reason.

There is nothing definite about the venues of various candidatures yet.
                      I've read in some French source they are planning to transform a football stadium into a bball court, in any case they are limited with infrastructure.
                      Germany has the best infrastructure avalable if they decide to use it, yet their federation ussualy seems to be constantly having troubles getting the money required.
                      Turkey has it all, yet hosted a WC in 2010, as a minor obstacle comapred to Germany and France that haven't hosted any serious tournament for 15+years or so.
                      Croatia has the tourist capacities and 3 great arenas, yet the last eurobasket was hosted by Slovenia which is a bit too near
                      I'm sure Finland has some nice arenas ussualy used for Hockey
                      Poland built some new places, but hosted the tournament not so long ago
                      I'm not too knowledgable about Latvian infrastructure, Lithuania hosting it in 2011 makes it a simmilar case to Slovenia/Croatia right now
                      I don't think Fiba would risk with Israel and even if place gets extremely peacefull immeditately, neither would the fans in my opinion

I would like eurobasket to be hosted by a country that would enable large attendance and would attract fans, even if we are talking about september and make the best out of the tournament. I can't find the stats from 09' eurobasket, but as far as I recall has reached profit for their federation, 11' EB in Lithuania had 1M€ profit from it, 13' EB Slovenia made 0.5 M profit for organizers, 0.4 M for state from VAT (paid 6M to FIba, got 6.4M from additional VAT) and the number would be higher if it wasn't for the fact we Slovenians can't agree on basicaly anything including the financial contribution of the communities for such event...
                      And there are tons of oppurtunity to improve that. Selling individual tickets instead of the daily tickets was the right thing to do, as it enabled more supporters to come, moving at least the group stages towards august would do wonders to demand in that regard, just as larger capacity of the arenas would with time.
                      So basicaly I'm supporting any country that will help the event grow into the 2nd euro event behind football championship and won't keep eurobasket around the organisational level of handball and ice hockey, as it's potential is bigger than that.
                      I would go for France actually. They are the current champions and have a team that could win the gold. So it could attract a lot of support and attention. Germany has a lot of minorities which will fill the arena's, but not a very good team.
                      PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

So who will be the Host of the 2015 Eurobasket? The decision will be made 8Sep... here are the candidates

Croatia, France, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Poland, Israel and Turkey.

Poland 2009
                        Turkey 2001 and WC 2010
                        France 1999
                        Israel (not safe)

So maybe Croatia, Finland, Germany or Latvia.
                        4th in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction game!

Comment

@Italian pride
                          No problem man

@Dr. Martin
                          Finland would be a good choice, their national team is in rising, good chance to promote basketball and improve it there. But, it would be a horrible choice from the perspective of fans from abroad as it is one of the most expensive places you can go.
                          Croatia is cool for us from this region as it is close, but I would like to see Latvia maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Milos.Djuric View Post
                            @Italian pride
                            No problem man

@Dr. Martin
                            Finland would be a good choice, their national team is in rising, good chance to promote basketball and improve it there. But, it would be a horrible choice from the perspective of fans from abroad as it is one of the most expensive places you can go.
                            Croatia is cool for us from this region as it is close, but I would like to see Latvia maybe.
                            Finland is too expensive. I just came back from Latvia where I watched U16 games. If there is enough good halls I support them. Is it possible that group stage is palyed in 4 different countries?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyh View Post
                              Finland is too expensive. I just came back from Latvia where I watched U16 games. If there is enough good halls I support them. Is it possible that group stage is palyed in 4 different countries?
                              I think max that could share is two??? Maybe 3, but 4 looks like really a lot of work. And if we look at the country positions, most interesting couple (or triple) would be Germany-Poland (-France)

Comment

Maybe Estonia and Latvia or Croatia and Bosnia.
                                4th in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction game!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information