Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurobasket 2015 will be held in?

Default Eurobasket 2015 will be held in?

It looks like FIBA Europe will take away the championship from Ukraine.
    They have been running late with works on halls anyway and now with russians attacking it is only a matter of time the championship will be taken away from them.

according to some sources Greece could get it instead.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    It looks like FIBA Europe will take away the championship from Ukraine.
    They have been running late with works on halls anyway and now with russians attacking it is only a matter of time the championship will be taken away from them.

according to some sources Greece could get it instead.
    I thought Greece and money does not get along these days... Are they capable of doing this (money-wise)? Or will Germany be the main sponsor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Z.A.L.I.A. View Post
    I thought Greece and money does not get along these days... Are they capable of doing this (money-wise)? Or will Germany be the main sponsor ?
    If Greece as a state has financial issues that doesn't neccesarily mean Greek basketball federation wouldn't be able to organise it as they're obviously different entities. Howeve I doubt the federation would do that, especially since Fiba is demanding more € with every eurobasket and they've already pulled out of WC14 wild card race as they've considered paying for that would be ethicaly questionable considering the state of Greek economy, if I understood correctly and if I did, props to them.

Some Slovenian site is repeatedly mentioning France being the most interested in replacing Ukraine. COme to think about it, since Parker said he intends to play in 2015, that's a great oppurtunity for them to say farewell to a part of a great generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    If Greece as a state has financial issues that doesn't neccesarily mean Greek basketball federation wouldn't be able to organise it as they're obviously different entities.
    Usually basketball federations heavily depend on a country. Especially when it comes to international events. It is hard for me to imagine any basketball federation in Europe that could live on its own, i.e., without money injection from the country. Considering that Greece as a country has serious issues with money, I doubt that the federation could organize any big international event in there (I'm talking about the nearest future only). Anyway, if they can afford it - why not. Greece is a beautiful country. Good luck for them.
    Last edited by Miškinis; 03-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.

i would like to see it in some scandinavian country Sweden,Norway,Finland or something like that :P

According to Krepšinis.net both Poland and Czech Republic wants to organize the event. Also according to the article, Ukraine has already paid 4 millions of euros for the event. Therefore Poland suggests to allow for Ukraine to organize only games of one group. The rest would be played in both Poland and Czech Republic. As a result the event would be organized by: Poland, Czech Republic and Ukraine.
    Last edited by Miškinis; 03-04-2014 at 07:52 PM.

If true, that would be sad.
    Poland could make sense as replacement; after all they were partners with Ukraine in 2012 Euro Football Champ, however they had organized the Eurobasket in 2009.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    If true, that would be sad.
    Poland could make sense as replacement; after all they were partners with Ukraine in 2012 Euro Football Champ, however they had organized the Eurobasket in 2009.
    I think that's a bit too soon to host it again in 6 years period, while honestly I am not the biggest fan of more countries sharing the eurobasket, unless the standards for organising it get raised to the level that such option would become the only viable way for some smaller countries to host it.

My guess would be France, Turkey or Italy might make a serious run, Spain is hosting WC and is likely out due to it, Slovenia, Lithuania, Poland were the last 3 organisers and wouldn't make sense unless there would be no options left, Greek federation made a stance on WC tickets that might make them reconsider paying all that money to FIba, I don't think Germans changed their point of view after the run for 2015 EC either, I'd love to see it next door in Croatia which already has better infrastructure than a lot of the upper mentioned, although that's not really likely...

@Zalia, you've got some valid points there

Quote Originally Posted by Exitche View Post
    i would like to see it in some scandinavian country Sweden,Norway,Finland or something like that :P
    You would not. F.e. beer is something like 7-10€ in Helsinki and if I remember right it was 13€ or 14€ in ice hockey games. Cheapest hotel is something like 125€/night. No one from real basketball countries would travel to Finland. In Hockey, game tickets were 250€ for one game! Last summer Finland played basketball game against UK and cheapest tickets were 55€. For me it's much more cheaper to travel Slovenia/Lithuania/Poland/where ever than stay in home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyh View Post
    You would not. F.e. beer is something like 7-10€ in Helsinki and if I remember right it was 13€ or 14€ in ice hockey games. Cheapest hotel is something like 125€/night. No one from real basketball countries would travel to Finland. In Hockey, game tickets were 250€ for one game! Last summer Finland played basketball game against UK and cheapest tickets were 55€. For me it's much more cheaper to travel Slovenia/Lithuania/Poland/where ever than stay in home.
    No wonder you the Fins have so many traveling fans.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Looks like France is gearing up as a lead candidate.

Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

It's no secret here that the Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) together with Finland have unofficially discussed the possibility of a joint bid. The original idea for the Baltic States was to aim the 2017 EC, but now they are discussing whether they are able to host it two years earlier.
    Live long Baltic States!

Serbia will also apply

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyh View Post
    I would like Finland too, but 55 Euros ...

I have changed my mind I vote for Serbia - Nis/Vrsac
    4th in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction game!

candidate which lost to Ukraine was that of France, Germany, Italy and Croatia together where city in each of the countries would host a group in first phase..
    our federation confirmed that we are ready..
    also, they are stating that FIBA should first contact the candidate which lost to Ukraine and discuss the possibility of hosting the championship..

edit: it looks like nothing will happen from that idea since Croatia and France will try to get it alone..
    yes,
    Last edited by Picek; 03-20-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

I hope it is not France. Quite expensive country and people don't want to speak English which makes it stupid place to visit.

Yesterday there was first time in Finnish media that there's been discussion that Finland and Baltic countries could share the competition. Earlier I said why I can't see Finland hosting those games but there is one more reason. There is no basketball halls that are big enough and basketball game in ice hockey hall is boring because audience have to sit too far away from field.

I rather like to see competition shared by Estonia and Latvia. It takes me 2 hour ferry trip to go Tallinn so I could even sleep in home. Estonia is little bit cheaper than Finland, there's basketball culture and people are overall very nice. It's been 10 years I visit Latvia last time so no opinion yet. But if my wife's brother makes it to U16 national team (which he easily does if healthy) I definetly visit there next summer before I fly to Spain.

This site is reporting that Eurobasket 2015 was transfered to Lithuania.
    http://www.balsas.lt/naujiena/783096...vyks-lietuvoje
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    This site is reporting that Eurobasket 2015 was transfered to Lithuania.
    http://www.balsas.lt/naujiena/783096...vyks-lietuvoje
    happy april fools' day

So far I'm reading about France, Croatia, Poland and loads of other options that after a consideration seem more like local bball functionars trying to get in the media for those few minutes, than some serious eurobasket 2015 race.

Poland held an eurobasket 6 years ago, even if I'm reading some interviews with some guys from their federation saying they've got the best infrastructure in europe, that's not really the case to be honest, they've hosted the championship in 09 already and not many Poles really cared back than. I didn't come across any news claiming they applied officialy, their bball federation might take this as a publicity stunt as well.

France has troubles with Bercy as the arena won't be renovated in time. I am not too familiar with French arenas apart from Bercy, they've got a lot of those medium sized 5.000-7.000 arena's available, but not many modern 10.000+ capacity ones which Fiba should in my opinion seek for a competition like this. A big + is the fact that eurobasket 2015 will represent the last time their golden generation will play complete and making Parker, Diaw, Pietrus, Turriaf as well as some others that might play for France for a bit longer to say farewell to their NT on their home soil would mean a lot to both France as well as Fiba in my opinion.

My favourite, not only personal favourite due to vicinity to Slovenia, but mostly due to general conditions, would be Croatia. Since eurobasket 2013 was hosted by Slovenia that's a bit of a minus for them as it's almost as if the event taking in the same place. Apart from that, they've got by far most tourist capacities around, all of that for available prices along that, vicinity of Italy, Slovenia, BiH, Serbia, lorries to Greece/Italy, their coast is packed with Germans, Czech, Scandinavians at that time of year anyway etc. guarantee attendance records, which Fiba surely takes into the account. 16.000 capacity Zagreb arena, 12.300 cap Split arena and 10.000 capacity Krešimir Čosić arena in Zadar are the venues only the likes of Spain, Germany can surpass as far as both quality and capacity goes.

edit: obviously vice president of Serbian bball federation, Dejan Bodiroga confirmed Serbia is officaly in the rate too.
    Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 05-08-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Turkey and Spain are also interested hosting the eurobasket in 2015, reports talkbasket.

I like this quote
    However, splitting the group stage in four different countries is unlikely to be acceptable to FIBA Europe, especially considering the fact that Olympic spots shall be awarded in this tournament.
    Considering Spain is hosting the World championship this year, I guess Turkey has an edge in comparison.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast