Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 110

Thread: 2015 Afrobasket

  1. #21

    Default

    Angola are taking part, but their matches will only count towards All-Africa Games qualification (as they are already qualified for Afrobasket). All the other teams will be fighting for places in both competitions simultaneously.

    Various news sources say Botswana will take part, but they are playing Mozambique in a separate qualifying group.
    Zambia has withdrawn due to lack of funds.
    Seychelles, who had originally qualified automatically due to Madagascar's withdrawal from Zone 7 qualifiers, have also been drafted in, after FIBA Africa apparently objected to a team qualifying without playing a match.

    So, Angola, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Seychelles should be the men's teams participating.

    First matches today:
    Zimbabwe v South Africa (women at 16:00, men at 18:00)
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    162
    Country: Egypt

    Default

    Mali Roster for today clash against Senegal :

    Abdrahamane Maiga (Stade Malien de Bamako )
    Mahamadou Kanté (CRBDB Algérie )
    Mahamadou Dramé (Aix Maurienne France )
    Bassekou Diallo (CRBDB Algérie)
    Moussa Koné (US Biscra Algérie)
    Boubacar Fadiala Sidibé(Club CSA Algérie)
    Mohamed Tangara(Malabo King)
    Waly Coulibaly(Université Hawai USA)
    Bourama Doumbia(Club Macloul)
    Amadou Sangaré(UGB Saint Louis Senegal)
    Amadou Kaba(Maroc)
    Mohamed Sanogo(Club CSA Agérie)
    Drissa Ballo(Dijon)
    Issa Diawara(As Commune 1)
    Boubacar Mounkoro(Baloncession Algérie)
    Boubacar Cherif Haidara(Guanxi Club Chine)

    https://www.facebook.com/Fmbbofficiel

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    162
    Country: Egypt

    Default

    Seychelles already qualified for All African Games .
    They are playing for a place in Afro basket 2015>

  4. #24

    Default

    TODAY'S RESULTS from Bulawayo:

    Zimbabwe 60-64 South Africa (men)

    Zimbabwe 63-69 South Africa (women)

    Fixtures for tomorrow (22nd February)
    MEN: Zimbabwe v Angola
    WOMEN: South Africa v Botswana

    I imagine Angola v Seychelles played today, and South Africa v Seychelles will be playing tomorrow (men's), but Zimbabwe news usually only mentions the Zimbabwe mathes.
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemo View Post
    Seychelles already qualified for All African Games .
    They are playing for a place in Afro basket 2015>
    So, we have 4 teams playing for places in 2 different tournaments: Only South Africa and Zimbabwe are playing for places in 2 tournaments.

    AFROBASKET: South Africa, Seychelles, Zimbabwe
    AL-AFRICA GAMES; Angola, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    162
    Country: Egypt

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcruic View Post
    So, we have 4 teams playing for places in 2 different tournaments: Only South Africa and Zimbabwe are playing for places in 2 tournaments.

    AFROBASKET: South Africa, Seychelles, Zimbabwe
    AL-AFRICA GAMES; Angola, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Surprisingly Yes, It is somewhat a strange condition.

    All African Games : Angola ,South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.

    Botswana qualification for Afro basket is over two leg matches against Mozambique. ( they lost the 1st leg).


    It happens only in Africa.

  7. #27

    Default

    FIXTURES for Zone 6 in Bulawayo
    1st round
    21.2 Zimbabwe 60-64 South Africa
    22.2 South Africa 60-52 Seychelles
    22.2 Zimbabwe v Angola
    23.2 Angola v Seychelles
    24.2 Angola v South Africa
    24.2 Zimbabwe v Seychelles

    2nd round
    25.2 Zimbabwe v Seychelles
    25.2 Angola v South Africa
    26.2 Angola v Seychelles
    27.2 South Africa v Seychelles
    27.2 Zimbabwe v Angola
    28.2 Zimbabwe v South Africa
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  8. #28

    Default

    Cameroon through to Afrobasket after 80-68 win against Congo today (1st leg was won 81-69).
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemo View Post
    Surprisingly Yes, It is somewhat a strange condition.

    All African Games : Angola ,South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.

    Botswana qualification for Afro basket is over two leg matches against Mozambique. ( they lost the 1st leg).


    It happens only in Africa.
    They did this with many of the the zones (divided them into more than one group). There are 11 groups for 7 zones (4 zones are divided into 2).

    It's not clear how qualification will be decided.

    Tunisia qualify as hosts, Angola as holders, and then 14 places will be decided through 11 groups (one of which, Zone 7, has been cancelled, and Seychelles moved to Zone 6). So, 14 places from 10 groups means that 2 teams will have to qualify from 4 of these groups. One of these will be Zone 5 (which had 5 teams), but there are only 2 other groups with more than 2 teams (the current group in Bulawayo and the upcoming group in Central African Republic). This means that in at least one of the 2-team groups, both teams will qualify, meaning that that qualification group is actually pointless.

    I expect Senegal will be invited as a wild card even if Mali knock them out.
    Last edited by mcruic; 02-23-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  10. #30

    Default

    Angola 117-55 Seychelles today.

    Angola not really being tested. I don't expect South Africa to do too much better than Seychelles or Zimbabwe.
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  11. #31
    Senior Member sixama23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    375
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcruic View Post
    Tunisia qualify as hosts, Angola as holders, and then 14 places will be decided through 11 groups (one of which, Zone 7, has been cancelled, and Seychelles moved to Zone 6). So, 14 places from 10 groups means that 2 teams will have to qualify from 4 of these groups. One of these will be Zone 5 (which had 5 teams), but there are only 2 other groups with more than 2 teams (the current group in Bulawayo and the upcoming group in Central African Republic). This means that in at least one of the 2-team groups, both teams will qualify, meaning that that qualification group is actually pointless.
    Zone 7 teams have been requested to play in Zone 6 qualifiers, even if the games between Madagascar and Seychelles had taken place the winner wouldn't have qualified to Afrobasket.

    As far as I know, 2 teams from the Bulawayo Group will qualify to Tunisia, excluding Angola. The winner of the clash between Mozambique and Botswana will also qualify. Three teams in total from Zone VI will make it through. Only one team from every 2-team group will qualify.

    Zone I --> 1 Team (Morocco)
    Zone II --> 2 Teams (Cape Verde, TBD)
    Zone III --> 2 Teams (Ivory Coast, TBD)
    Zone IV --> 2 Teams (Cameroon, TBD)
    Zone V --> 2 Teams (Egypt, Uganda)
    Zone VI --> 3 Teams (TBD, TBD, TBD)
    Zone VII -- > No Team
    Host Country --> Tunisia
    Reigning Champion --> Angola
    Wildcards --> 2 Teams

    IMO, Senegal and Algeria will get the wildcards.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    162
    Country: Egypt

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcruic View Post
    They did this with many of the the zones (divided them into more than one group). There are 11 groups for 7 zones (4 zones are divided into 2).

    It's not clear how qualification will be decided.

    Tunisia qualify as hosts, Angola as holders, and then 14 places will be decided through 11 groups (one of which, Zone 7, has been cancelled, and Seychelles moved to Zone 6). So, 14 places from 10 groups means that 2 teams will have to qualify from 4 of these groups. One of these will be Zone 5 (which had 5 teams), but there are only 2 other groups with more than 2 teams (the current group in Bulawayo and the upcoming group in Central African Republic). This means that in at least one of the 2-team groups, both teams will qualify, meaning that that qualification group is actually pointless.

    I expect Senegal will be invited as a wild card even if Mali knock them out.
    The same thing happened at Afro basket 2013 qualification at Zone I (both teams ;Algeria and Morocco were qualified.)

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    162
    Country: Egypt

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sixama23 View Post
    Zone 7 teams have been requested to play in Zone 6 qualifiers, even if the games between Madagascar and Seychelles had taken place the winner wouldn't have qualified to Afro basket.


    IMO, Senegal and Algeria will get the wildcards.
    No game was held between Seychelles and Madagascar as Madagascar was withdrawn from the qualification.

    I agree with you that Algeria and the loser of (Senegal X Mali ) clash with have the wild card to participate at the tournament.

  14. #34
    Senior Member sixama23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    375
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemo View Post
    No game was held between Seychelles and Madagascar as Madagascar was withdrawn from the qualification.
    I know that, I just said that even if these games had taken place, the winner wouldn't have qualified to Afrobasket. Both teams had to enter the Zone VI qualifiers in order to make it through. Due to lack of competitiveness, Zone VII doesn't enter any teams to Afrobasket.

    Same thing happened in 2013, Seychelles participated in Zone VI qualifiers back then as well.

    Algerian Federation has already expressed interest in getting a Wildcard. I would consider Congo too, only in case Mali won't qualify. However I can't see how Mali could stay out. On the other hand, we don't know what will happen at the Libreville group, if CAR fails to qualify they will probably push for a Wildcard as well.
    Last edited by sixama23; 02-24-2015 at 05:16 AM.

  15. #35

    Default

    Zimbabwe 63-52 Seychelles today. Seychelles now out of contention for Afrobasket.

    Yesterday's results:
    Angola 122-65 South Africa
    Zimbabwe 69-61 Seychelles

    AFROBASKET qualifier STANDINGS
    South Africa 2-0
    Zimbabwe 2-1
    Seychelles 0-3

    Not sure what the decider is if Zimbabwe beat South Africa in the last game and both are tied on 3-1. Is it head-to-head or overall points difference?

    ALL-AFRICA GAMES qualifier STANDINGS
    Angola 3-0
    South Africa 1-2
    Zimbabwe 0-2

    Angola have qualified for the All-Africa Games
    Last edited by mcruic; 02-27-2015 at 09:44 PM.
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  16. #36

    Default

    Zone 6 results:

    21 Feb Zimbabwe 60-64 South Africa
    22 Feb South Africa 60-52 Seychelles
    22 Feb Zimbabwe 49-100 Angola
    23 Feb Angola 117-55 Seychelles
    24 Feb Angola 122-65 South Africa
    24 Feb Zimbabwe 69-61 Seychelles
    25 Feb Zimbabwe 63-52 Seychelles
    25 Feb Angola 87-70 South Africa
    26 Feb Angola 103-48 Seychelles (also reported 103-43 - confirmation required)
    27 Feb Seychelles 72-55 South Africa
    27 Feb Zimbabwe 50-98 Angola

    Tomorrow (28 Feb) - the decider for Afrobasket - Zimbabwe v South Africa. The winner will qualify. Both teams have 2-1 records (not including Angola).

    Really poor coverage by FIBA of this event - surely they have a FIBA Africa representative in Zimbabwe? How hard would it be to simply tweet the result at the end of each game?
    Last edited by mcruic; 02-27-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  17. #37
    Senior Member sixama23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    375
    Country: Greece

    Default

    SEN-MLI 47-50
    ZIM-RSA 66-64
    BOT-MOZ 68-69

    Mali, Zimbabwe, Mozambique have all qualified to Afrobasket, Senegal is expected to push for a wildcard.

  18. #38
    Senior Member sixama23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    375
    Country: Greece

    Default

    The rest of Zone IV qualifiers games are supposed to start today in Libreville, here's a photo of the Gabonese squad:


  19. #39

    Default

    First match in Libreville today: Gabon v Central African Republic. The matches are 3-8 March, so it looks like a double round-robin (Chad being the 3rd team). Gabon, DR Congo and Cameroon women will compete simultaneously for women's Afrobasket/AAG qualifiers.
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

  20. #40

    Default

    Gabon 79-75 Central African Republic, after overtime (65-65 at end of 4 periods)

    Fixtures
    4th March - Gabon - Chad
    5th March - Central African Republic - Chad

    6th-8th March, second round of fixtures (schedule not known yet - will be either the same as the first round or the reverse order of the first round)
    Last edited by mcruic; 03-04-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    Fixtures, results and rankings for 64 international team sports all in one place, updated daily - www.theroonba.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •