Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 101

Thread: Top Lithuanian Coaches

  1. #81
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Congrats to Maksvytis stepping up.
    Not sure about that. Parma are planning to be as good as Kalev next year?

  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Not sure about that. Parma are planning to be as good as Kalev next year?
    I think they are about to rise their budged. But generally he'll coach competitive foreign club in a really competitive leagues. That's surely a step forward, IMO, experience wise alone, surely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  3. #83
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,716
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Good point. Do you have any ideas about his style, advantages, ect.?
    I saw few games only. He tried to play fast paced game, transition, with lot of ball movement, lot of shooting. Offense at times looked really decent for that level


  4. #84
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I think they are about to rise their budged. But generally he'll coach competitive foreign club in a really competitive leagues. That's surely a step forward, IMO, experience wise alone, surely.
    Experience of playing 4 regular season games against EL teams instead of playing 4 regular season games against EL team

  5. #85

    Default

    Speaking about young coaches, I think we should start talking about Zydrunas Urbonas as a coach with some potential. He's only 42yo and he has been building his name with Uventus for quite some time now. IMO, his carriage shows he has ambitions, he wants to learn, he is very outspoken, strong, flexible personality. Juventus is probably overachieving for quite some time now in LKL and they gave a heck of a fight for Rytas quite few years in a row now. Other thing, some player have been growing nicely under him, not only Dovis Bickauskas, but specially Geben. His improvement is impressive (and I think now even of Kavaliauskas applies for the NT, Geben can compete for the spot). I can't say much about his tactics, decision making, other aspects as a coach as I don't follow Juventus closely, but can surely see him coaching Rytas or Neptunas one day and maybe even reaching higher level.

    The way I see young coaches hierarchy of Lithuania today:

    1. Jasikevicius
    2. Maksvytis.
    3. Adomaitis
    4. Kairys.
    5. Urbonas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  6. #86
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,716
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    It's Jasikevicius and others. If to select 2nd place, I'd go with Kairys, probably cause I've seen too much of Maksvytis and Adomaitis and don't find any of them too talented to go far as a coaches. I mean coaching some EL club one day on regular basis. Not Rytas or Neptunas there. Kairys is a bit of mystery, but this season he did great with Kalev in strong VTB league. 3rd would be Adomaitis, this season he kicked Maksvytis ass in all decisive games between Rytas and Neptunas, it wasn't even close in any. Won Lith Cup.


  7. #87
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    No fans of Gediminas Petrauskas?

  8. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    It's Jasikevicius and others. If to select 2nd place, I'd go with Kairys, probably cause I've seen too much of Maksvytis and Adomaitis and don't find any of them too talented to go far as a coaches. I mean coaching some EL club one day on regular basis. Not Rytas or Neptunas there. Kairys is a bit of mystery, but this season he did great with Kalev in strong VTB league. 3rd would be Adomaitis, this season he kicked Maksvytis ass in all decisive games between Rytas and Neptunas, it wasn't even close in any. Won Lith Cup.
    Agreed basically, I simply don't have a picture if Kairys. But I like what I see in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbvIOo3U5pY The only obvious issue I have even not knowing him well, he seems to be a calm, polite, introverted guy. Wouldn't he be lacking bigger guts? He is certainly gives an effort which shows dedication and ambition, but he's still obviously more of a tender, delicate temper man which might be a problem here and there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqG7o3TY0G4

    Adomaitis has a right personality and mental toughness to handle pressure, but so far he has been very conservative and limited tactics wise. He want to fundamental and very simple basketball, but it's not the right direction. Today's BB is all about high IQ tactics, little details, and Jasikevicius' success proves that, he's all about that.

    Maksvytis has more talent, IMO, and makes more adjustments to the game, but his personality is not strong enough for him to coach EL club one day, IMO.

    Urbonas, IMO, has the right mentality and personality. The question is how much he can learn and how talented he actually is.

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    No fans of Gediminas Petrauskas?
    I'm not convinced. Do you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  9. #89
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I'm not convinced. Do you?
    Well, PŽ made 12/15 run in the middle of the season, including 2 wins against NP, which is good and then lost 9 and both QF games, which is bad. Still finished above Urbonas.


    He's also 8-11 years older than your top5

  10. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    He's also 8-11 years older than your top5
    That's the strongest part of your post, IMO. Time will tell. I'm not sold on his personality though. He has a shadow of "Vingiu Jonas" to me, specially when he was really chubby. Even now he's a guy with full cheeks, who resembles more of some milk's company manager than a guy who can go deep into coach career. To me, high quality coaches should have some class as personalities, some elegancy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  11. #91
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,716
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Agreed basically, I simply don't have a picture if Kairys. But I like what I see in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbvIOo3U5pY The only obvious issue I have even not knowing him well, he seems to be a calm, polite, introverted guy. Wouldn't he be lacking bigger guts? He is certainly gives an effort which shows dedication and ambition, but he's still obviously more of a tender, delicate temper man which might be a problem here and there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqG7o3TY0G4

    Adomaitis has a right personality and mental toughness to handle pressure, but so far he has been very conservative and limited tactics wise. He want to fundamental and very simple basketball, but it's not the right direction. Today's BB is all about high IQ tactics, little details, and Jasikevicius' success proves that, he's all about that.
    Adomaitis was indeed like that when he coached Neptunas, Juventus. But this season, with more options in his hands, I see him being more versatile, not by a miles, but he is improving. Funny, but I see him learning from Saras quite a lot, he even speaks at times exactly the way Saras does during press conferences, using the same phrases Still, I'm not sold that Adomaitis will be big coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    That's the strongest part of your post, IMO. Time will tell. I'm not sold on his personality though. He has a shadow of "Vingiu Jonas" to me, specially when he was really chubby. Even now he's a guy with full cheeks, who resembles more of some milk's company manager than a guy who can go deep into coach career. To me, high quality coaches should have some class as personalities, some elegancy.
    For me he always looked like a daddy's son, who received everything thnx to father's connections. But I must admit that he is improving bit by bit. He doesn't look to me like going further than LKL level tho, I don't see much of a tactician in him, but he is still very young to judge, so I'll leave some room for improvement. It'd be interesting to see him in Neptunas next season. Even tho there are rumours that club will have smaller budget next season and won't be that competitive


  12. #92
    Senior Member LuDux's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Even tho there are rumours that club will have smaller budget next season and won't be that competitive
    Weird rumour, especially in Petrauskai join in. Message in autumn was that this season will be for saving before improving again next season

  13. #93
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,716
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Weird rumour, especially in Petrauskai join in. Message in autumn was that this season will be for saving before improving again next season
    Maksvytis attracts money and sponsors too, he has great relations with some businessmen in Klaipeda, when he will leave, some plans to cut the sponsorship either. Neptunas didn't expect Maksvytis to leave, offer from Parma came out of nowhere. Petrauskai might cover something tho if they'll come, but I don't know how much, we'll see


  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    2,029
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I want to add one name as i have a feeling he is/can be a good coach - Mantas Sernius who is a head coach of women NT. He played football (!) but got injured and became a coach in women basketball at 25. After 5 years he began to coach Pieno Zvaigzdes that looked solid as well as all other teams he coached i think (except the last performance of Zalgiris's youth team in the final EL round and i don't follow women basketball). He coached U16 2000 y.o. team one summer and the game looked very nice and the guys were just unlucky to grab the gold. When Petrauskas came it didn't look so well. This season Sernius came to Zalgiris's second team during the season and the things went clearly better. He's an intelligent coach, maybe too intelligent for a big club.

  15. #95
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    15
    Country: Estonia

    Default

    Kalev announced that Kairys will not continue at the club next year. Going to be interesting to see where he heads next.

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    2,029
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    I want to add one name as i have a feeling he is/can be a good coach - Mantas Sernius who is a head coach of women NT. He played football (!) but got injured and became a coach in women basketball at 25. After 5 years he began to coach Pieno Zvaigzdes that looked solid as well as all other teams he coached i think (except the last performance of Zalgiris's youth team in the final EL round and i don't follow women basketball). He coached U16 2000 y.o. team one summer and the game looked very nice and the guys were just unlucky to grab the gold. When Petrauskas came it didn't look so well. This season Sernius came to Zalgiris's second team during the season and the things went clearly better. He's an intelligent coach, maybe too intelligent for a big club.
    So he became a head coach of a new Prienai team. But it seems it going to be a kind of a Zalgiris LKL farm club.

  17. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vilnius
    Posts
    2,029
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Kurtinaitis is the worst El coach. He should have been fired already, now it may be too late for Khimki.

    Edit: he may have enough credits because of winning against CSKA (VTB) and Real.
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; 01-17-2020 at 01:16 PM.

  18. #98

    Default

    Kairys hired as a head coach of Saratov „Avtodor“. I really hope something will turn out from Kairys. We need new generation coaches because our coaching has been weak for ages now. One borderline-elite coach in three decades of NT. Others, basically all mediocre. That's not how it should. Never seen a game of Kairys, but he has tons of interesting experience like working at CSKA, also with Spurs in their championship year, he worked with Messina, Kemzura, seen how Popovic works. Seems to be BB geek and loves up tempo basketball. Personally, I think there will have to be shift in terms of NT playing style. We will have much more offence compared to 10's most likely and we'll have to finally adjust more to position-less basketball which is the future. Lithuania with our great bigs will always have the choice to play inside, but we have to add speed, creativity, skill and shooting. Second half of 10's showed that we ain't winning anything with slow, limited inside game, pounding the ball inside. Looking forward to coaches who would be contemporary enough, not boiling in the local waters with the same mediocre mentality witch leads to banal decisions and outdated thinking. Basically I see 2 coaches that I'm high on because of their international experience alone, one is proved, other yet do so hopefully:

    1. Jasikevicius
    2. Kairys

    and maybe Maskoliunas, but I'm sceptical about it because I believe he has too many connection with an old school coaching tradition in Kazlauskas while BB really shifted in last 4 years. His only advantage is watching how Saras works, the guy who has very limited teams usually and also slowing down things more than he would having more offensive power and creativity.

    Others are too provincial in terms of experience to me.

    We really lack young coaches who would give a little f...about local coaching tradition which is at pathetic level compared to our players talent levels, IMO, and would look for international experience in the first place, be it NBA, Spain or some EL teams. That should be priority for all young coaches, forget Lithuanian school other than Kazlauskas and specially Jasikevicius, we never had good coaching school. Garastas was sitting his ass down watching Sabonis, Kurtinaitis, Marciulionis improvise. Pretty similarly Kurtinaitis is coaching. That's ill mannered coaching.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 02-07-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  19. #99
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,716
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Garastas was sitting his ass down watching Sabonis, Kurtinaitis, Marciulionis improvise. Pretty similarly Kurtinaitis is coaching. That's ill mannered coaching.
    C'mon, don't make Garastas look as some scrub he was really good coach, I think I already wrote about him in this thread couple of years ago, how players loved him and appreciated him, he was great psychologist most of all, but also good tactician. Just people fails to give him some credit cause it happened that he coached such talented generation. But he started with Zalgiris when there was no Sabas, when nobody wanted to coach a club, cause it was about to relegate from top soviet league, Garastas took the challenge and very next season we were 2nd. In 1992 he didn't need any mastermind plans when he had Sabas and Marcela running the game, two individually skilled beasts. Then Karnisovas and Kurtinaitis beside them. Last thing you would do is to put them into some frames, but you had to know how to control such team, big egos, back then players ended up fighting even on practices, simply that generation was obsessed with winning and what to say about off-court activities Garastas was perfect for such role, he knew exactly how to work, when to push, when to let go, no wonder players went against public before Olympics to get back Garastas to NT as a coach, when nation was against him for coaching Soviet NT in 1990, while all the players refused to play there


  20. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    C'mon, don't make Garastas look as some scrub he was really good coach, I think I already wrote about him in this thread couple of years ago, how players loved him and appreciated him, he was great psychologist most of all, but also good tactician. Just people fails to give him some credit cause it happened that he coached such talented generation. But he started with Zalgiris when there was no Sabas, when nobody wanted to coach a club, cause it was about to relegate from top soviet league, Garastas took the challenge and very next season we were 2nd. In 1992 he didn't need any mastermind plans when he had Sabas and Marcela running the game, two individually skilled beasts. Then Karnisovas and Kurtinaitis beside them. Last thing you would do is to put them into some frames, but you had to know how to control such team, big egos, back then players ended up fighting even on practices, simply that generation was obsessed with winning and what to say about off-court activities Garastas was perfect for such role, he knew exactly how to work, when to push, when to let go, no wonder players went against public before Olympics to get back Garastas to NT as a coach, when nation was against him for coaching Soviet NT in 1990, while all the players refused to play there
    Fair enough. I watched 1995 EC final a year ago and the D was so ridiculously loose. That walking zone all the time. Off course, Sabonis couldn't and didn't want to step up, but that was more like pseudo D than real. I'm not familiar with pre-NT Garastas, but one can learn little from Garastas from current perspective, IMO. He may have been great in 80s, but in the NT there were little tactics and with better organised D we could really take gold in 1995. Sasha was shooting one open jimmy after another and there was zero adjustments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •