Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Top Lithuanian Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Congrats to Maksvytis stepping up.
    Not sure about that. Parma are planning to be as good as Kalev next year?

Quote Originally Posted by LuDux View Post
    Not sure about that. Parma are planning to be as good as Kalev next year?
    I think they are about to rise their budged. But generally he'll coach competitive foreign club in a really competitive leagues. That's surely a step forward, IMO, experience wise alone, surely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Good point. Do you have any ideas about his style, advantages, ect.?
    I saw few games only. He tried to play fast paced game, transition, with lot of ball movement, lot of shooting. Offense at times looked really decent for that level

I think they are about to rise their budged. But generally he'll coach competitive foreign club in a really competitive leagues. That's surely a step forward, IMO, experience wise alone, surely.
    Experience of playing 4 regular season games against EL teams instead of playing 4 regular season games against EL team

Speaking about young coaches, I think we should start talking about Zydrunas Urbonas as a coach with some potential. He's only 42yo and he has been building his name with Uventus for quite some time now. IMO, his carriage shows he has ambitions, he wants to learn, he is very outspoken, strong, flexible personality. Juventus is probably overachieving for quite some time now in LKL and they gave a heck of a fight for Rytas quite few years in a row now. Other thing, some player have been growing nicely under him, not only Dovis Bickauskas, but specially Geben. His improvement is impressive (and I think now even of Kavaliauskas applies for the NT, Geben can compete for the spot). I can't say much about his tactics, decision making, other aspects as a coach as I don't follow Juventus closely, but can surely see him coaching Rytas or Neptunas one day and maybe even reaching higher level.

The way I see young coaches hierarchy of Lithuania today:

1. Jasikevicius
    2. Maksvytis.
    3. Adomaitis
    4. Kairys.
    5. Urbonas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's Jasikevicius and others. If to select 2nd place, I'd go with Kairys, probably cause I've seen too much of Maksvytis and Adomaitis and don't find any of them too talented to go far as a coaches. I mean coaching some EL club one day on regular basis. Not Rytas or Neptunas there. Kairys is a bit of mystery, but this season he did great with Kalev in strong VTB league. 3rd would be Adomaitis, this season he kicked Maksvytis ass in all decisive games between Rytas and Neptunas, it wasn't even close in any. Won Lith Cup.

No fans of Gediminas Petrauskas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    It's Jasikevicius and others. If to select 2nd place, I'd go with Kairys, probably cause I've seen too much of Maksvytis and Adomaitis and don't find any of them too talented to go far as a coaches. I mean coaching some EL club one day on regular basis. Not Rytas or Neptunas there. Kairys is a bit of mystery, but this season he did great with Kalev in strong VTB league. 3rd would be Adomaitis, this season he kicked Maksvytis ass in all decisive games between Rytas and Neptunas, it wasn't even close in any. Won Lith Cup.
    Agreed basically, I simply don't have a picture if Kairys. But I like what I see in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbvIOo3U5pY The only obvious issue I have even not knowing him well, he seems to be a calm, polite, introverted guy. Wouldn't he be lacking bigger guts? He is certainly gives an effort which shows dedication and ambition, but he's still obviously more of a tender, delicate temper man which might be a problem here and there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqG7o3TY0G4

Adomaitis has a right personality and mental toughness to handle pressure, but so far he has been very conservative and limited tactics wise. He want to fundamental and very simple basketball, but it's not the right direction. Today's BB is all about high IQ tactics, little details, and Jasikevicius' success proves that, he's all about that.

Maksvytis has more talent, IMO, and makes more adjustments to the game, but his personality is not strong enough for him to coach EL club one day, IMO.

Urbonas, IMO, has the right mentality and personality. The question is how much he can learn and how talented he actually is.

No fans of Gediminas Petrauskas?
    I'm not convinced. Do you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not convinced. Do you?
    Well, PŽ made 12/15 run in the middle of the season, including 2 wins against NP, which is good and then lost 9 and both QF games, which is bad. Still finished above Urbonas.

He's also 8-11 years older than your top5

He's also 8-11 years older than your top5
    That's the strongest part of your post, IMO. Time will tell. I'm not sold on his personality though. He has a shadow of "Vingiu Jonas" to me, specially when he was really chubby. Even now he's a guy with full cheeks, who resembles more of some milk's company manager than a guy who can go deep into coach career. To me, high quality coaches should have some class as personalities, some elegancy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Agreed basically, I simply don't have a picture if Kairys. But I like what I see in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbvIOo3U5pY The only obvious issue I have even not knowing him well, he seems to be a calm, polite, introverted guy. Wouldn't he be lacking bigger guts? He is certainly gives an effort which shows dedication and ambition, but he's still obviously more of a tender, delicate temper man which might be a problem here and there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqG7o3TY0G4

Adomaitis has a right personality and mental toughness to handle pressure, but so far he has been very conservative and limited tactics wise. He want to fundamental and very simple basketball, but it's not the right direction. Today's BB is all about high IQ tactics, little details, and Jasikevicius' success proves that, he's all about that.
    Adomaitis was indeed like that when he coached Neptunas, Juventus. But this season, with more options in his hands, I see him being more versatile, not by a miles, but he is improving. Funny, but I see him learning from Saras quite a lot, he even speaks at times exactly the way Saras does during press conferences, using the same phrases Still, I'm not sold that Adomaitis will be big coach

That's the strongest part of your post, IMO. Time will tell. I'm not sold on his personality though. He has a shadow of "Vingiu Jonas" to me, specially when he was really chubby. Even now he's a guy with full cheeks, who resembles more of some milk's company manager than a guy who can go deep into coach career. To me, high quality coaches should have some class as personalities, some elegancy.
    For me he always looked like a daddy's son, who received everything thnx to father's connections. But I must admit that he is improving bit by bit. He doesn't look to me like going further than LKL level tho, I don't see much of a tactician in him, but he is still very young to judge, so I'll leave some room for improvement. It'd be interesting to see him in Neptunas next season. Even tho there are rumours that club will have smaller budget next season and won't be that competitive

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Even tho there are rumours that club will have smaller budget next season and won't be that competitive
    Weird rumour, especially in Petrauskai join in. Message in autumn was that this season will be for saving before improving again next season

Weird rumour, especially in Petrauskai join in. Message in autumn was that this season will be for saving before improving again next season
    Maksvytis attracts money and sponsors too, he has great relations with some businessmen in Klaipeda, when he will leave, some plans to cut the sponsorship either. Neptunas didn't expect Maksvytis to leave, offer from Parma came out of nowhere. Petrauskai might cover something tho if they'll come, but I don't know how much, we'll see

I want to add one name as i have a feeling he is/can be a good coach - Mantas Sernius who is a head coach of women NT. He played football (!) but got injured and became a coach in women basketball at 25. After 5 years he began to coach Pieno Zvaigzdes that looked solid as well as all other teams he coached i think (except the last performance of Zalgiris's youth team in the final EL round and i don't follow women basketball). He coached U16 2000 y.o. team one summer and the game looked very nice and the guys were just unlucky to grab the gold. When Petrauskas came it didn't look so well. This season Sernius came to Zalgiris's second team during the season and the things went clearly better. He's an intelligent coach, maybe too intelligent for a big club.

Kalev announced that Kairys will not continue at the club next year. Going to be interesting to see where he heads next.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345