Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pimpekaustas View Post
    http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/pov...ma/702357.aspx

secretar of croatian bball asociation said he already talked to hezonja about that matter, but it is on him and his family to decide :S i hope this is rubbish, it would be to much :s
    Oh, it's a croatian rumor. Never heard or read anything in this regard in spanish media. I wouldn't worry too much.

Anyway, not to disrespect the player, but last year he wasn't even a top-20 player in Spain's 2nd division (much lower level than Adriatic League). Good scorer, but little else. This year he'll have a place in 1st team roster, but he will receive very little playing time, if any at all. Word on the street is he didn't respect his coach, nor his teammates while playing for the junior team, so they want to give him a chance to improve by training with seniors and have Xavi Pascual overseer his development. In the best case, he will be a commodity by 2015. Right now he's a project.

I find quite surprising someone is ready to believe this story. The Spanish Federation doesn't have a history of stealing players away from their home countries. Prior to Ibaka stint with the NT, no foreign-born player had appeared with the NT since USA citizen Chuck Kornegay did in 2001. And this was a clear case of man crush, then-coach Imbroda had also signed and coached him for Caja San Fernando (Seville's club). He wouldn't have a chance to play for Team USA even if half the country was blown away in a nuclear explosion. Ibaka's case has some points in common: he wouldn't be able to participate in a World Championship if he played with Congo, so he offered himself to Spanish Federation.

The only case similar to Hezonja's hypothetical naturalization would be Mirotic's. But, back then he was told a spanish citizenship would help his career, and the prize for it was taking part in tournaments with our national team. Shortly after, the ACB changed its rules and being spanish didn't have a single advantage anymore. Since Ibaka's appearance, the Federation is claiming to be working towards a FIBA ruling to allow Mirotic and Ibaka play together. I don't believe a single word of it, they say that only to save face, but have no real interest in opening up a loophole that could strenghten our rivals' rosters. So, what's in it for Hezonja? He won't get a better contract in Spain. He doesn't need the passport to play in Europe, much less the NBA. He isn't going to be chosen for the NT, as Ibaka OR Mirotic go first, and they do fill a need, meanwhile Hezonja does not. Plus, after taking part in youth tournaments with Croatia, Spain would need explicit permission to play Hezonja, and it's not a given.

Comment

Reportedly it came from Franjo Arapovic. Hezonja naturalized by Spain, Marinelli by Slovenia
      Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
        Reportedly it came from Franjo Arapovic. Hezonja naturalized by Spain, Marinelli by Slovenia
        Well, we do lack a decent PG... but come to think about it, we lack centers even more and even if for example Rebec doesn't make it due to his height, PG's will appear for us one way or another. Omić will be used as the naturalised player for many years to come and I don't think Croatia has many reasons to fear about us naturalising Marinelli.
        Simmilar issues have appeared in rumours over here, with Spain naturalising Luka Dončič, however people that know him and his father kind of laughed hard at those...
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Spain has lack of Small Forwards. Hezonja would be nice addition
          BARÇA O MUERTE

Comment

Originally posted by Kwijibo View Post
            Tell me you find this thing getting beyond ridiculous
            Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Kwijibo View Post
              A LEB player? Right now we've got a much better SF who's playing (well, sort of) in the NBA. Five years from now no one can tell what Hezonja will become, but right now he's not NT material. And there's a number of young swingman who could make it even before Mario does: Sastre, Abrines, Díez, Vicedo...

A skilled, athletic 7-footer? We'll find a place for him. A 6-10 PF with post moves and scoring ability? Sure, send him our way. A high-manteinance swingman who is a volume scorer only? Meh. Not interested.

Comment

Actually, it isn't like Spain's NT lack of interest is the biggest hole in this story. Why, is Hezonja willing to become a traitor to his home country? It isn't like Spain has given him anything he couldn't find in Croatia. Does he bear a grudge with someone back home?

I mean, I can believe someone like Luol Deng (who's sudanese) saying he appreciates UK because his family found a home there when they had to flee their country. I can find some traces of truth (although not fully believe) Ibaka's claim Spain is a second home to him after leaving Congo very young. But Hezonja is simply working here in Barcelona because, as far as I know, FCB offered him more money than anyone else. Hardly a reason to turn away from your country. If a few years down the line he signs for a turkish club, will he take turk citizenship too?

Comment

Hezonja is a mole that we are trying to input into Spain NT so that next time we meet we would lose by 24 or 25 and not 28 or 29
                  you see, we croats like to plan ahead..
                  Last edited by Picek; 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM.
                  "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Olimpija presented it's team yesterday and Marinelli said naturalisation never came to his mind and also isn't an option for the future.
                    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                      Olimpija presented it's team yesterday and Marinelli said naturalisation never came to his mind and also isn't an option for the future.
                      yeah, Repesa also was on TV half an hour ago and said he is in contact with Hezonja and his family and this was never isue

I guess someone wannted sensations
                      Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
                        yeah, Repesa also was on TV half an hour ago and said he is in contact with Hezonja and his family and this was never isue

I guess someone wannted sensations
                        I would like hezonja playing for us
                        BARÇA O MUERTE

Comment

judging from your posts, more than Hežonja, you would like attention...

Comment

C'mon man are u calling me attention whore?
                            BARÇA O MUERTE

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information