This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
    All tournaments even the 2017 tournament will be considered non bearing as it isnt a qualifying tournament already (who cares about the rankings) as 7 teams would go to china in 2019..
    Are you sure? How about the home-and-away games in November 2017? Isn't the 1st of 6 window tournaments leading to the 2019 FIBA World Cup?

Yes you're correct, there will be 7 teams in the FIBA-Asia-Oceania, excluding host China, that will play in the 2019 World Cup, but if we don't send a strong enough national team for those 6 window tournaments, chances are we won't be among those 7 teams playing in the World Cup. Australia & New Zealand are locked at the top 2 spots. So that leaves only 5 slots being contested by Korea, Iran, Japan, Lebanon, Taiwan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Qatar & the Philippines. Then there's the improving teams of India, Palestine & Iraq.

Anyone of these countries can beat the Philippines on any given day. That is why we can't afford to send a half-baked team for these home-and-away window games.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
      Kiefer will excel in D league setting, because he wants the ball and pull the trigger..
      hindi masunurin sa coach unlike parks jr..
      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        Are you sure? How about the home-and-away games in November 2017? Isn't the 1st of 6 window tournaments leading to the 2019 FIBA World Cup?

Yes you're correct, there will be 7 teams in the FIBA-Asia-Oceania, excluding host China, that will play in the 2019 World Cup, but if we don't send a strong enough national team for those 6 window tournaments, chances are we won't be among those 7 teams playing in the World Cup. Australia & New Zealand are locked at the top 2 spots. So that leaves only 5 slots being contested by Korea, Iran, Japan, Lebanon, Taiwan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Qatar & the Philippines. Then there's the improving teams of India, Palestine & Iraq.

Anyone of these countries can beat the Philippines on any given day. That is why we can't afford to send a half-baked team for these home-and-away window games.
        If any of these team's make the World cup Taiwan[/B], [B]Kazakhstan and Qatar, that's really bad. Considering teams like Ukraine or 2nd tier Euro teams won't make it. Basically what I'm saying is if you can't make it to the World cup through Asia, you really don't deserve to be in World competition.
        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by yogaflame View Post
          The Gilas Cadets wasted the Jones cup opportunity to train. This could have been a good training ground and exposure especially to Ferrer, Ravena, Opstal, Belo, Wright, etc. Sigh... Well commercial and tv guesting is where the money is, sigh...
          Gilas Cadets?
          The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
            If any of these team's make the World cup Taiwan[/B], [B]Kazakhstan and Qatar, that's really bad. Considering teams like Ukraine or 2nd tier Euro teams won't make it. Basically what I'm saying is if you can't make it to the World cup through Asia, you really don't deserve to be in World competition.
            Well, I think the No. 16 team in Europe can beat China & Iran in any given day. But that team will not go to the World Cup while China & Iran will.

That's how tough the tournament in Eurobasket is.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

If you can't make it to the Olympics through Asia, then you have no business aspiring to qualify in the Olympics through the OQT.

Comment

[/B]If you can't make it to the Olympics through Asia, then you have no business aspiring to qualify in the Olympics through the OQT.
                haha nice!
                sigpic

Comment

• Plan early to achieve the desired results

This early (or maybe it should have been done earlier), SBP should already looking for the next tournaments which the Gilas "cadet" pool could join. Of course looming in the horizon will be the 2016 FIBA Asia Challenge w/c kicks off sometime in September. This early, people at the SBP should already determine who the available players are for that tournament. I think most members of the cadet pool (Kiefer Ravena, Belo, Ferrer, Pessumal, Van Opstal) will be available at that time. Also by that time, a No. of PBA teams will be eliminated from the ongoing PBA Governors' Cup, thus players from these eliminated teams will be available to possibly reinforce the Gilas cadets. I think most participating countries will just send their national team-B's or developmental teams in this tournament, so I guess our cadet team will be very competitive in this tourney. Besides the goal here is not really to win medal but to give our boys the much needed exposure & experience in international basketball.

I think on January next year, we can look at the annual Dubai Invitational Tournament. This is the same tournament that Gilas-1 participated in 2010 & 2011 & Gilas-1 did respectably well in this tournament. We can reinforce the Gilas cadets with 1 or 2 imports & maybe, if availability permits, a No. of PBA players. Again, the goal here isn't really to win but for exposure of our cadets.

Lets plan early to achieve the desired results.

Comment

• ^
                    I'm proposing a 4 team pocket tourney for Feb featuring the cadets, the NZ select team (young player not in foreign leagues) , a PBA team (TNT? ) and a NZ NBL team ( Saints) , yeah we can call it MVP cup if our sponsor chooses to
                    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

^
                      I'm proposing a 4 team pocket tourney for Feb featuring the cadets, the NZ select team (young player not in foreign leagues) , a PBA team (TNT? ) and a NZ NBL team ( Saints) , yeah we can call it MVP cup if our sponsor chooses to
                      That would be nice. Why not make the MVP Cup a yearly affair? I think the significance of such tournament is further highlighted by the revival of the "cadet" program. The cadet team needs as much international tournaments it could join just like what Gilas-1 underwent.

Speaking of the NZ select team you mentioned, I heard NZ will have their version of the "cadet" team. Perhaps in response to this new home-and-away games format by FIBA. I think a Gilas cadet team reinforce by a naturalized player candidate could pose some challenge against the Kiwi cadets.

Comment

That would be nice. Why not make the MVP Cup a yearly affair? I think the significance of such tournament is further highlighted by the revival of the "cadet" program. The cadet team needs as much international tournaments it could join just like what Gilas-1 underwent.

Speaking of the NZ select team you mentioned, I heard NZ will have their version of the "cadet" team. Perhaps in response to this new home-and-away games format by FIBA. I think a Gilas cadet team reinforce by a naturalized player candidate could pose some challenge against the Kiwi cadets.
                        It's always irked me that Taiwan hosts a well-attended international basketball tournament every year but the supposedly most basketball-crazy nation in Asia doesn't.

Comment

The NZ select team has already been formed and just played a pocket tournament in China (this week!), were they played Motenegro, Cameroon and a CBA team (with 4 American Imports) http://www.basketball.org.nz/News/sh...lant-nz-select
                          So you see this early NZ is already preparing for the home and away format , BTW that NZ select team can basically sleep walk ( easy walk in the park) qualify for the 7 World cup spots for Asia Pacific , No way can teams not named Iran , China, Philippines or Australia , beat this NZ select team

Comment

• Originally posted by k3ttch View Post
                            It's always irked me that Taiwan hosts a well-attended international basketball tournament every year but the supposedly most basketball-crazy nation in Asia doesn't.
                            not necessary already.we got basketball tournaments all year round from amateurs to pros.
                            The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

This early (or maybe it should have been done earlier), SBP should already looking for the next tournaments which the Gilas "cadet" pool could join. Of course looming in the horizon will be the 2016 FIBA Asia Challenge w/c kicks off sometime in September. This early, people at the SBP should already determine who the available players are for that tournament. I think most members of the cadet pool (Kiefer Ravena, Belo, Ferrer, Pessumal, Van Opstal) will be available at that time.
                              They can also add cadet aspirants and batang gilas standouts who are redshirting this year to the pool to develop cohesion since there's also the SEA Games next year. Players who come to mind are CJ Perez, Arvin Tolentino, Sinclair, Cariño and potential players who are currently playing for their school's team B.

Comment

• Originally posted by c_d View Post
                                They can also add cadet aspirants and batang gilas standouts who are redshirting this year to the pool to develop cohesion since there's also the SEA Games next year. Players who come to mind are CJ Perez, Arvin Tolentino, Sinclair, Cariño and potential players who are currently playing for their school's team B.
                                We can easily send them abroad

1. If MVP willing to spend
                                2. If MVP doesnt see bad in losing games..

And some cool facts, the last time Philippines won a tournament outside sea level, we dont wear nike as our official "apparel"..
                                To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                                1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information