Page 2 of 296 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 5901

Thread: Philippines Cadet/Developmental Team

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobslerone View Post
    UST's Ferrer thrilled to be considered for Gilas cadet pool call-up
    By Mei-Lin Lozada
    September 03, 2013, 10:29 am



    UNIVERSITY of Santo Tomas stalwart Kevin Ferrer Gilas won’t have any second thoughts accepting the invitation of national coach Chot Reyes to become part of the Gilas Pilipinas cadet pool.

    Ferrer said it has been a long-time dream of his to become a regular part of the national team.

    “Super flattered ako dahil na-consider ako ni coach (Chot),” said the young UST forward in a talk with Spin.ph. "Of course, I'll accept this invitation."

    Ferrer was among those Reyes wants to invite to join the cadet pool, joining other collegiate stars such as Kiefer Ravena, Terrence Romeo, Bobby Ray Parks, Chris Newsome, Arnold Van Opstal and Raymomd Almazan.

    (For full story, see Ravena, Romeo, Parks, Almazan lead new batch of Gilas cadet invitees)

    A member of the 2009 U-16 Philippine team that emerged as Seaba champions, Ferrer said he’s more than honored when he first heard about the invitation extended by the man who steered the country back to the Fiba-World Cup following a sensational runner-up finish in the recent 27th Fiba-Asia Championship.

    Following his stint with the Philippine Youth team under coach Eric Altamirano, Ferrer said he’s long been waiting for the chance to wear the national colors again.

    “Oo dream come true ko `yun (ang i-represent ang Philippines),” he said.

    What’s more, members of the squad that included Ravena, Jeron Teng, Gelo Alolino, Mike Tolomia, and Parks vowed to each other that if called for national cause again, they’re all willingly lend their services.

    "After ng RP Youth may promise kami sa isa't-isa na pag tinawag kaming i-represent ang bansa, walang isip-isip, 'oo' na agad,: he said.

    Although the 6-foot-4 forward is still in the midst of the Growling Tigers' bid to make the Final Four of UAAP Season 76, he said he’s very excited about the prospect of becoming a national player again.

    “Gustung-gusto ko ma-represent 'yung bansa natin katulad noong nasa RP Youth team pa ako. I was so proud then,” he recalled.

    Ferrer has also represented the country earlier this year as part of the 3-on-3 team that competed in the Fiba-Asia tilt in Doha, Qatar. He had for his teammates fellow Blackwater players Gio Ciriacruz, Robby Celiz, and Bacon Austria.

    Former youth teammate Ravena, on the other hand, would rather focus first on the ongoing UAAP season before thinking about another stint with the national team.

    “Syempre honored, pero focus pa rin sa UAAP muna,” said the Ateneo star, a member of the Sinag Pilipinas squad that retained the Southeast Asian Games gold medal two years ago in Indonesia. “But I would love to serve the country. (At) basta 'di makaka-affect sa school.
    The tricky part here is, like what I said earlier, is that Asian Games will be on the second-third week of September.

    UAAP/NCAA is from July-September for UAAP and June-October for NCAA.

    Will Ateneo, Lasalle,UST, NU risk its season and loan the superstars?

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,791
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    Probably because of NU (or even SMC), Captain?
    Oh don't worry, I'm not about to ridicule SMC or NU for that! I was just making a point.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  3. #23
    Senior Member durden_tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Oh don't worry, I'm not about to ridicule SMC or NU for that! I was just making a point.
    You should have, rather than ridiculing Parks. UNTIL NOW, you don't understand that these players are treated like pros?
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

    SMALLBALL, bitches..

  4. #24
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    For development? Not really. Norwood averaged 23 minutes per game in Japan. (highest 35 and lowest at 9). He was coming from a good program (US NCAA) so he was treated differently. Can you say the same to the likes of Ravena and Parks? Do you think

    i'll give you Ganuelas, although it was the only the FIBA Asia Cup-- not really a major tournament.

    (
    haha if youre from a us ncaa program development fast tracked
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  5. #25
    Senior Member The_Big_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Manila, Leyte, & Iloilo
    Posts
    3,669

    Default

    One of the keys in the successful Smart Gilas I developmental squad was the enrollment of 5th year college players like JV Casio, Chris Tiu, Mac Baracael, Jason Ballesteros and the like. The 5th year guys will not have any more conflict with their schedule because they were on their final year of eligibility.

    Getting a sophomore or junior to the join the cadet pool would have complications. The Pre-Season (April to June), US and overseas training for college squads like San Beda, Ateneo and NU (May), NCAA (June to October), UAAP (July to September). Let us not forget the PBA D-League (Foundation Cup November to February/Unity Cup March to May).

    Can they squeeze their Gilas practices and games in that hectic schedule above? Plus they would have to contend with their academics. Baka akala niyo puro basketball na lang.
    SAN BEDA BASKETBALL

  6. #26
    Senior Member killmebusy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    The tricky part here is, like what I said earlier, is that Asian Games will be on the second-third week of September.

    UAAP/NCAA is from July-September for UAAP and June-October for NCAA.

    Will Ateneo, Lasalle,UST, NU risk its season and loan the superstars?
    they can adjust their calendar...they already did it for fiba asia. the ncaa won't really lose anyone since almazan is already graduating and other than him they don't have any other player to lend so far.

  7. #27
    Senior Member KevinDurant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Ferrer is a nice player to develop. A Gabe Norwood-like winsgspan, can play a specific role in the team.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killmebusy View Post
    they can adjust their calendar...they already did it for fiba asia. the ncaa won't really lose anyone since almazan is already graduating and other than him they don't have any other player to lend so far.
    Amer is a name that is floating around. Will be interested to see how this develops.

  9. #29
    Senior Member killmebusy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    Amer is a name that is floating around. Will be interested to see how this develops.
    sadly, i think it's come to a point that amer is overrated. he's at par with gelo alolino now only that he has a better outside shot. sumang and vosotros are better than him.

  10. #30
    Senior Member durden_tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Big_Cat View Post
    One of the keys in the successful Smart Gilas I developmental squad was the enrollment of 5th year college players like JV Casio, Chris Tiu, Mac Baracael, Jason Ballesteros and the like. The 5th year guys will not have any more conflict with their schedule because they were on their final year of eligibility.

    Getting a sophomore or junior to the join the cadet pool would have complications. The Pre-Season (April to June), US and overseas training for college squads like San Beda, Ateneo and NU (May), NCAA (June to October), UAAP (July to September). Let us not forget the PBA D-League (Foundation Cup November to February/Unity Cup March to May).

    Can they squeeze their Gilas practices and games in that hectic schedule above? Plus they would have to contend with their academics. Baka akala niyo puro basketball na lang.
    And same issue as before, SBP (MVP again? ) will shoulder the again the salaries after their eligibilty is exhausted since you are delaying their trip to become pros...
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

    SMALLBALL, bitches..

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    4,270

    Default

    most of them wants to be part of the Philippine National Team.

    you know why I am happy

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killmebusy View Post
    sadly, i think it's come to a point that amer is overrated. he's at par with gelo alolino now only that he has a better outside shot. sumang and vosotros are better than him.
    How is Vosotros better than him? Im a lassalian and have seen vosotros play for 4 years already. He has an inconsistent stroke from 3 and has no playmaking,slashing skill whatsoever. Sumang I'd agree is better than him, while Ill be honest i havent watch alolino that seriously, but in the case of sumang. You already have Romeo,Parks and Ravena. You need a distributor not another scorer to the team. This is a TEAM not an All-star team. Huge difference.

  13. #33
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    How is Vosotros better than him? Im a lassalian and have seen vosotros play for 4 years already. He has an inconsistent stroke from 3 and has no playmaking,slashing skill whatsoever. Sumang I'd agree is better than him, while Ill be honest i havent watch alolino that seriously, but in the case of sumang. You already have Romeo,Parks and Ravena. You need a distributor not another scorer to the team. This is a TEAM not an All-star team. Huge difference.
    Amer is a tall pure point guard but he's now being forced to score more due to SBC's lack of scorers. He's not as quick or athletic like the other PGs and uses his craftiness to break down defenses. The others are undersized shoot first pgs though I'm most impressed by Sumang. Alolino is the same chucker since his junior days. Replace Vosotros and Alolino with Amer and their team will be better. UE obviously needs Sumang's scoring.

    I hope Brondial gets an invite. We need more height on our team.

    OT: Where is Michael Pate? I really though he's going to have a great college career. Napag iwanan na ng batchmates niya.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,518
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    I hope the Cadet squad will be given the chance to play in the ASIAN GAMES..... we can assume this as their WORLD CUP version (in terms of level of competition).
    Just imagine, in the last FIBA ASIA QUALIFIER, we defeated a Korean NT which had 6 college players, and we had a hard time defeating them. We need to make our college players get up to speed, or our rivals China, and Korea will slowly get ahead of us in terms of level of play (because they are bringing in players as young as college players [Kim Min-Go] and even an 18 yr. old kid [Gou Ay Lin of China, if I am correct].

    SEABA, FIBA CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP CUP and ASIAN GAMES are the important tournaments for development of our Gilas Cadet Squads.
    The FIBA ASIA QUALIFIER, FIBA ASIA CUP & Jones Cup are the major tournaments that our seniors team should focus on. In this way, we will be able to slowly develop and strengthen our players.

    In SEABA, we can have [Kuya] Marcus as our naturalized. For the FIBA CLUB Championship, we can have a Memorandum of Understanding that the Gilas Cadet has the right to challenge the ABL Pinoy Champion team to a best of 3 game for the right to represent the country in the FIBA CLUB Championship. Of course the Pinoy ABL team can use their two imports but the Cadets can only have their naturalized player. this will be a win-win situation for both teams. The Cadets will get to have a tough competition against the ABL team because it not only have two imports, it has pro-players in them. For the ABL team, they get to have a good training/ practice before competing in the main competition. (Of course, I expect the Cadet squad to lose because not only will the ABL team have two imports, it has PBA players in it as part of the team. Definitely, It has higher level of play than the cadets.)
    Then, as for the ASIAN GAMES, We can have the Cadets backed by three PBA players, who were part of the Gilas program, but is not part of the Gilas Seniors lineup. In this way, We strengthen the Cadet Squad... PBA scheduling won't be affected much... and we get to widen the selection of players for the Seniors team because more PBA players will have experience in international play.

    well, this is just my suggestion and hopefully, will be given some consideration.
    Last edited by PaVi; 09-03-2013 at 09:35 AM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaVi View Post
    kung ako lang... gusto ko maglaro sa incheon asiad ay ang mga gilas cadet... bale ito ang world cup version nila.
    imagine... 6 sa mga players ng south korea nung nakaraan ay mga college players lang. tapos nahirapan pa tayo. we need to make our college players get up to speed as well. dahan dahan tayo mapagiiwanan ng china at korea kapag pinagpatuloy natin ang diskarteng ganito.. yng SEABA, FIBA CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP at ASIAN GAMES ay dpat ang importanteng venue for development ng ating mga gilas cadets.
    yung FIBA ASIA QUALIFIER, FIBA ASIA CUP at Jones Cup naman ang sa seniors team. sa ganitong paraan, mapapalakas natin dahan dahan ang mga young players natin.

    SA SEABA, dapat may kasama tayong isang naturalized jan... kelangan manigurado tayo, as always (pde na dito si Kuya Marcus)... sa FIBA CLUB Championship naman, kung mananalo ang isang philippine team sa ABL, sana may standing agreement ang pinoy champion at gilas cadet na magkaroon ng best of three qualifiers para dun sa right mag-represent sa FIBA ASIA CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP... bale yung ABL pinoy team ay may dalawang import (kasi allowed naman sa kanila yun eh) tapos ang gilas cadet may isang naturalized (pde ulit dito si kuya Marcus).. tapos dun sa ASIAN GAMES, gilas cadet ulit pero maglagay tayo ng mga tatlong PBA players na kasama sa pool ng gilas seniors team, pero hindi officially kasama sa lineup ng gilas seniors team...

    sa ganitong paraan, mapapalakas natin yung Gilas Cadet Squad... di masyado maaapektuhan ang PBA scheduling...tapos, mapapalaki natin ang selection ng mga players for seniors team kasi mas marami ang lumalakas na PBA players.

    well, suggestion lang naman po yun. hopefully, mabigyan ng pansin or consideration.
    Theres the Jones Cup and FIBA Asia cup for them..and first thing first our collegiate players must be available during this time..

    Asian Games is still one of the "tournaments" that we won during our golden age in Philippine Basketball..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,518
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Theres the Jones Cup and FIBA Asia cup for them..and first thing first our collegiate players must be available during this time..

    Asian Games is still one of the "tournaments" that we won during our golden age in Philippine Basketball..

    Actually the reason why I did not choose the jones cup is because it seems the coach had an affinity to play in the jones cup tournament for purposes of scouting. but I do agree with you as to the Cadets playing in the Jones Cup... That is definitely a high competition that they can prepare for. As to the FIBA ASIA CUP, although we can qualify by way of entering the semis, I wanted the SEA region to be represented by three teams.
    I am kinda having a heart for our fellow ASEANS because I think, it is our responsibility to increase the level of play of the ASEAN. We can do that if we continuously give them an opportunity for more playing time. Besides, we have a higher level of play if we play in the FIBA ASIA CUP than if we try to qualify through the SEABA zonals. although in a way i agree that during the years where FIBA ASIA CUP is not a qualifier, we can have the Cadets playing in these tournaments for more exposure.
    AS to the Asian GAmes, this is the ultimate event for the Cadets as this is a quadrennial event, so they can really prepare hard for it.

    However, one thing that I hope we can put in our calendars and take away from the BAP... this is the Uni-Games. We should make it a point that the winner of the PCCL shall have the right to represent the country in the Uni-Games. I do not agree that the BAP should have a free hand to choose who it should allow to compete in the Uni-Games. Although the Uni-Games is not under the authority of FIBA, I think the Philippines, having one basketball governing body (SBP) should be the one handling this event. and I think, to increase the level of play of each schools, and therefore, each players, we need to have a more competitive varsity team playing in the Uni-Games. I remember Junemar's Team representing the Philippines in the Uni-Games and they did not win even one game... and each game is a lopsided loss. I know, given more training and better preparation and a better team, the Philippines could have placed better, instead of the last place standing that I believe we do not deserve.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    7-11 Quezon City, yo doon ako napadpad
    Posts
    6,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaVi View Post
    Actually the reason why I did not choose the jones cup is because it seems the coach had an affinity to play in the jones cup tournament for purposes of scouting. but I do agree with you as to the Cadets playing in the Jones Cup... That is definitely a high competition that they can prepare for. As to the FIBA ASIA CUP, although we can qualify by way of entering the semis, I wanted the SEA region to be represented by three teams.
    I am kinda having a heart for our fellow ASEANS because I think, it is our responsibility to increase the level of play of the ASEAN. We can do that if we continuously give them an opportunity for more playing time. Besides, we have a higher level of play if we play in the FIBA ASIA CUP than if we try to qualify through the SEABA zonals. although in a way i agree that during the years where FIBA ASIA CUP is not a qualifier, we can have the Cadets playing in these tournaments for more exposure.
    AS to the Asian GAmes, this is the ultimate event for the Cadets as this is a quadrennial event, so they can really prepare hard for it.

    However, one thing that I hope we can put in our calendars and take away from the BAP... this is the Uni-Games. We should make it a point that the winner of the PCCL shall have the right to represent the country in the Uni-Games. I do not agree that the BAP should have a free hand to choose who it should allow to compete in the Uni-Games. Although the Uni-Games is not under the authority of FIBA, I think the Philippines, having one basketball governing body (SBP) should be the one handling this event. and I think, to increase the level of play of each schools, and therefore, each players, we need to have a more competitive varsity team playing in the Uni-Games. I remember Junemar's Team representing the Philippines in the Uni-Games and they did not win even one game... and each game is a lopsided loss. I know, given more training and better preparation and a better team, the Philippines could have placed better, instead of the last place standing that I believe we do not deserve.
    Unfortunately, it's not within SBP's sole jurisdiction. The Universiade is a multi-sport event, and FISU, the governing body, has sided with FESSAP since it started.

    Who's FESSAP, you ask? It's a federation of school athletics orgs, primarily those that aren't part of the UAAP and NCAA. In fact, a UP taekwondo jin was supposed to go to this year's Universiade but was stopped by her school as UP is not a member.

    FESSAP is headed by people identified with Graham Lim of BAP and Go Teng Kok of the PATAFA. Ricky Palou and others tried to have FISU recognize the UAAP as the Philippine governing body, but were not successful.

    In the future, I hope a united front consisting of the UAAP, NCAA, NAASCU, and CESAFI would be able to convince FISU that they can do a better job of sending quality student-athletes. Also, I hope this united front would be able to convince student-athletes based abroad to play for the Philippines, if only at the Universiade level.
    Keep running, big boy.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Amer is a tall pure point guard but he's now being forced to score more due to SBC's lack of scorers. He's not as quick or athletic like the other PGs and uses his craftiness to break down defenses. The others are undersized shoot first pgs though I'm most impressed by Sumang. Alolino is the same chucker since his junior days. Replace Vosotros and Alolino with Amer and their team will be better. UE obviously needs Sumang's scoring.

    I hope Brondial gets an invite. We need more height on our team.

    OT: Where is Michael Pate? I really though he's going to have a great college career. Napag iwanan na ng batchmates niya.

    Pate is not even in the CSB lineup

  19. #39
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unstopaball12 View Post
    Pate is not even in the CSB lineup
    I think he played for their team A for 1 season after transferring from DLSU and was relegated to team B. Sayang to he could hang with Parks, Jerons, Kiefer etc but I heard he partied too much?

  20. #40
    Senior Member Dotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    I envy the South Korean basketball federation on how they go about their feeder program, and youth development. In the last FIBA Asia tournament, they had a mix of pros and college players, and paraded a couple of young centers, one a 6'9 19 y.o. and another, slightly older center of the same height. Their top gunner was just a college player, albeit an "old college player" at 24.

    It goes to show us, their system and style of basketball from the youth programs up to the pros are so consistent, it's almost seamless when the players transition from a level to another level.

Page 2 of 296 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •