This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
    Torres was already 6'7 when he was playing in the U-18 team,taller than most PBA center-forwards.The guy is scoring double digits in the D-league i believe.He's not a potential overall pick but I think the guy is decent enough.Has good potential in the PBA depending on his work ethic.
    N.Torres is a victim of DLSU's guard oriented system(Pumaren style). When was the last time DLSU had a big man shine for them? hmm Maierhoffer i think, but he plays the "combo" forward position. Hoping other big's can learn from this. haha
    POLITICS: Old men talk while young men are dying...

Comment

• Originally posted by sharky View Post
      N.Torres is a victim of DLSU's guard oriented system(Pumaren style). When was the last time DLSU had a big man shine for them? hmm Maierhoffer i think, but he plays the "combo" forward position. Hoping other big's can learn from this. haha
      I say give the guy a chance, unlike Japeth the kid does not avoid contact and he's not that old.He may become a late bloomer in the PBA, well thats what I hope.
      "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
        I say give the guy a chance, unlike Japeth the kid does not avoid contact and he's not that old.He may become a late bloomer in the PBA, well thats what I hope.
        well Ping and Ranidel were late bloomers as well. They played the best basketball of their careers in their late 20s and early 30s, so it's not yet too late for Almazan, Sangalang, Torres and other bigs. We could even see Vic Manuel in future Gilas teams if he develops Ping's defensive intensity..
        What we should be concerned is the fact that we tend to rely on the veterans too much. Argentina was not able to develop a successor squad to the Golden Generation [with Campazzo being the only notable player after Nocioni, Scola, Ginobili, Oberto, Herrmann, Gutierrez, etc.]. That's what we should avoid.
        “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.â€
        -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

• Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
          well Ping and Ranidel were late bloomers as well. They played the best basketball of their careers in their late 20s and early 30s, so it's not yet too late for Almazan, Sangalang, Torres and other bigs. We could even see Vic Manuel in future Gilas teams if he develops Ping's defensive intensity..
          What we should be concerned is the fact that we tend to rely on the veterans too much. Argentina was not able to develop a successor squad to the Golden Generation [with Campazzo being the only notable player after Nocioni, Scola, Ginobili, Oberto, Herrmann, Gutierrez, etc.]. That's what we should avoid.
          Lapravitolla is one underrated guard.. very solid..
          To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
          1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
            that's quite impossible since A) we really haven't had that "golden generation" yet and B) with so many basketball playing citizens in the country we can produce players year after year. what i am concerned about is the lack of deadeye shooting youngsters.

Comment

• this is good noh?!

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/uaap/n...aap-basketball

Comment

• No fear of strong opponents in the SEA games, says Singapore team

We’re sorry. The page you are looking for appears to have moved or does not exist. Check the URL or try using our search function at the top right. Alternatively, you might want to check out these top stories:  

Neo echoed this. "I think they believe in themselves, and I told them that if we get ourselves there, play how we are supposed to play and believe that we can beat them (Philippines). So I think they start to believe that they can make things happen."
                Two things Sinag Pilipinas should do:

1. Not take Singapore lightly. Remember how they refused to go away in the FIBA Asia Cup and 6'7" Delvin Go's block on 6'10" June Mar Fajardo? (Of course, this was before the FIBA Worlds, where June Mar realised he could stand toe-to-toe against NBA-caliber bigs). They'll be playing at home (although I expect the crowd to be 50-50 or even 60-40 in favor of Sinag thanks to our kababayans in Singapore) and play with discipline and focus.

2. Beat Singapore by at least 30 (okay, 20) with Marcus playing minimal minutes. Show them why we were the ones that went to the World Cup and not them.

Comment

• Originally posted by k3ttch View Post
                  [U][B] Show them why we were the ones that went to the World Cup and not them.
                  Oh come on, even in their wildest dreams, the Singaporeans will never have the illusion that they deserve to be in the World Cup more than we do. They are simply not on our level. Our South East Asian counterparts can only hope of pulling off an upset seldom, but even then that doesn't make any of them superior than us. Remember, Malaysia beat us for the gold medal in 1989 SEA Games, but since then, we have dominated the tournament & Malaysia could no longer touch us.
                  "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                    Oh come on, even in their wildest dreams, the Singaporeans will never have the illusion that they deserve to be in the World Cup more than we do. They are simply not on our level. Our South East Asian counterparts can only hope of pulling off an upset seldom, but even then that doesn't make any of them superior than us. Remember, Malaysia beat us for the gold medal in 1989 SEA Games, but since then, we have dominated the tournament & Malaysia could no longer touch us.
                    I don't recall anyone panicking after we lost the gold in 1989. Certainly not even after a team bannered by Aquino, Limpot, Ravena, and Abarrientos regained the title against a very feisty Thailand team in 1991 at the Big Dome. The fact remains that Sinag will, barring any major injuries, win both the SEABA and SEA Games titles handily, and Gilas is untouchable as far as SEABA is concerned. Unless the SEABA countries establish and support healthy professional leagues of their own, I don't see any further development for their players.
                    Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by kerouac82 View Post
                      I don't recall anyone panicking after we lost the gold in 1989. Certainly not even after a team bannered by Aquino, Limpot, Ravena, and Abarrientos regained the title against a very feisty Thailand team in 1991 at the Big Dome. The fact remains that Sinag will, barring any major injuries, win both the SEABA and SEA Games titles handily, and Gilas is untouchable as far as SEABA is concerned. Unless the SEABA countries establish and support healthy professional leagues of their own, I don't see any further development for their players.
                      exactly.. a country without a very good professional league for a particular sport will not do well in that sport..

ever wonder even if technically we are number 1 in SEA in football in the FIFA rankings, we can't beat indonesia, thailand, malaysia...

Comment

• Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
                        exactly.. a country without a very good professional league for a particular sport will not do well in that sport..

ever wonder even if technically we are number 1 in SEA in football in the FIFA rankings, we can't beat indonesia, thailand, malaysia...
                        Well, the Azkals did beat Indonesia 4-1 last year. But it was more a reflection of the chaos in the Indonesian federation than anything.

The thing is, there is very little in terms of a trickle-down effect when it comes to the ABL and SEABA. Sure, you do have crowds filling up the stands in My Dinh, but it doesn't really translate into improved player skills, especially when the ones carrying the teams are either American imports or Filipinos.
                        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by kerouac82 View Post
                          Well, the Azkals did beat Indonesia 4-1 last year. But it was more a reflection of the chaos in the Indonesian federation than anything.

The thing is, there is very little in terms of a trickle-down effect when it comes to the ABL and SEABA. Sure, you do have crowds filling up the stands in My Dinh, but it doesn't really translate into improved player skills, especially when the ones carrying the teams are either American imports or Filipinos.
                          yup Azkals beat Indonesia but correct, the federation wasn't all good that time..

it all boils down to "enough" passion.. are these SEA counterparts passionate enough about basketball? Iran wasn't passionate enough before.. but because of a very strict program, they began winning, then the passion came and now, they are a powerhouse in basketball.. now do these SEA countries have a strict program in terms of basketball?

now South Korea, Japan, Chinese Taipei, these countries actually do not have basketball as their number 1 passion sport.. but again, they still have "enough" passion for basketball (of course not like their superb passion in baseball, football).. plus they are disciplined enough and strict that is why they are tops in basketball (well minus Japan)..\

counties like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.. yes they may start to have the passion to play ball.. but do they have a very strict regimen and program to excel?

Comment

• Question on Nobert Torres , did he acquire his Philippine passport before 16 or is he eligible for SEABA based on representing the Philippines in the 2008 U18 FIBA Asia champs (same tourney as Mathew Wright) ?
                            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                            https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• As expected Tab's practices are really intense

I've already heard concerns and players complaining about how grueling the practices are. One former Gilas player even is thinking twice if he will play this year with Tab's reputation of pushing players hard...
                              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                              https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• he played for the flag before the hagop rule...... i think
                                WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                                SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information