This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippines Cadet/Developmental Team

Talk about the Philippines' pipeline program here.

Posted this in another thread, but its better here.

I want to know what is the blueprint of the Cadets program. There have been reports that Parks,Ravena,Newsome, Van Opstal,Alas, Almazan,Romeo,Ferrer,Slaughter,Garcia,Jake and Ronald Pascual, Ganuelas are the team so far.

We all know that Slaughter, Garcia, Ronald Pascual, Almazan are about 80% sure of joining the draft.
    Parks,Alas and Jake Pascual are not yet sure to join the draft. Most likely they wont
    The college players are available,but will have time constraint.

Aside from the Seagames, what other tournaments will the cadet team join? Because the main problem here is that schools will NOT release their top guns to gilas for the asian games. So that leaves Ganuelas, Alas and Pascual as the players who will make up the Asian Games.

Comment

chot said that the invites do not mean a sure slot in the cadet team so let's not assume that will be the team already. other notable potential invitees are amer, sumang, mariano, jericho cruz, racal among others.

Comment

You need to start young Like: Paras, Ravena brother,Rivero Brother,Navarro,Josef,Ramirez,Isaac go,Richard escoto,Tolentino and Javalesa,

Comment

Originally posted by unstopaball12 View Post
          So that leaves Ganuelas, Alas and Pascual as the players who will make up the Asian Games.
          You forgot Garvo Lanete. Or is he joining this year's draft?

If the PBA allows the 2014 FIBA World Cup bound Gilas Pilipinas team to play in next year's Asian Games, I suggest we inject some "cadets" to our 2014 Asiad bound team. I want our 2014 World Cup team to be composed of the very same players that made up the silver-medalist 2013 FIBA-Asia Championship Gilas team. Lets reward the players who gave us the precious silver medal last August & there's no better reward for them than giving them the privilege of playing in next year's FIBA World Championship. But after the World Championship, I suggest we replace 3 to 4 players (the aging ones) of the team & insert some "cadets" for next year's Asian Games. Maybe that would be the perfect time to retire Jimmy Alapag (who's now 35) from national team service & replace him with either Kevin Alas or RR Garcia. Maybe that would be the time to replace Garry David (who's now 34) with Garvo Lanete. And maybe that would also be he right time to replace Marcus Douthit with a new naturalized player(whoever that player would be).

In as much as we really want the best amateur talents like Parks, Ravena, Newsome, Van Opstal, Baser Amer, Romeo, Kevin Ferrer, Jerick Teng, etc., to be enlisted with the Gilas "cadet" team, we all know its not going to be easy. As what coach Chot Reyes put it: "ang tanong eh, papayag ba sila (players) or papayagan ba sila ng schools nila?".

SBP will have it's hands full in trying get the "cream of the crop" of amateur basketball to enlist with Gilas "cadet" team. Nevertheless, I'm still optimistic it will materialize.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Will a cadet team still work for us? Gilas 2 already showed that we need to send seasoned veterans who play very rough and smart at the same time. Why not just let these cadets be drafted in the PBA then make a cadet team from there? At this point I would rather train Paul Lee than Kevin Alas who is still a bit raw.

The future Gilas players will still come from the PBA. Let's not make the mistakes of Gilas 1 again. But I'm OK with giving these youngsters as much exposure as possible. Hopefully playing alongside with potential future Gilas members like Paul Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by greenarcher View Post
              Will a cadet team still work for us? Gilas 2 already showed that we need to send seasoned veterans who play very rough and smart at the same time. Why not just let these cadets be drafted in the PBA then make a cadet team from there? At this point I would rather train Paul Lee than Kevin Alas who is still a bit raw.

The future Gilas players will still come from the PBA. Let's not make the mistakes of Gilas 1 again. But I'm OK with giving these youngsters as much exposure as possible. Hopefully playing alongside with potential future Gilas members like Paul Lee.
              Fast track the development-- and majority of them. So for lower quality tournament like the SEA games that's a good training ground. And knowing Chot, he won't get a "raw" player anyway, so yeah, his PBA is his main pool. i do agree with some that sending one cadet (Laettner on Dream Team) will produce good results. But is Chot the type of coach who will waste that one slot for development?
              If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

We would want to supplant player who have intl experience to the pba so that eventually all pba players the upper crop ones to have experience playing internationally from u16 u18 to cadet to seniors pool to the elite pool..
                To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                  Fast track the development-- and majority of them. So for lower quality tournament like the SEA games that's a good training ground. And knowing Chot, he won't get a "raw" player anyway, so yeah, his PBA is his main pool. i do agree with some that sending one cadet (Laettner on Dream Team) will produce good results. But is Chot the type of coach who will waste that one slot for development?
                  He already did it with Norwood in 2007.. and Ganuelas in 2012..
                  To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                  1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

My suggestion would be to have 2 conferences in the PBa all Filipino and an unlimited import height and make a smaller invitational conference with Gilas as participant, champion of the import conference and all Filipino conference and maybe a few invited teams, maybe foreign and maybe champion of Cebu leagues and uaap and NCAA champs
                    Make it a champions' conference to see who is the champion of the Philippines
                    The college leagues will produce more fans and the out of town teams will have their fans too
                    Playing 3 conferences in the PBa is tiring to watch. Nakakasawa
                    Maybe nbl, Taiwan or Korean corporate teams
                    The PBa is at an all time high in Asia bec of how Gilas placed
                    They should capitalize on that now and continue the program
                    Make it a short one like the jones cup winner take all
                    Just me opinion
                    Posting here bec the other thread was closed don't know why
                    I believe. Lets go Team Pilipinas

Comment

It's with the philosophy that its always good that we give our young amateur stars the baptism fire of international competition as early as possible. Expose them to non-major international tournaments like the Dubai Invitationals, SEA Games, SEABA, even Jones Cup. Mabuti na yung habang bata pa sila eh mawala na yung "kaba" factor, so that when they eventually become PBA superstars & gets to play in BIG international tournaments like the FIBA-Asia Championship or World Basketball Cup, matitibay na ang mga dibdib ng mga yan & sanay na sa international rules.
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

What's WSU's stance nowadays? Will we ever see Abueva play for the NT? Together with Paul Lee, he's 1 of the guys I want to see in future NTs.

Training should start in the SEAG which is just a few months away. This should be the 1st real test for our Cadet team and for future Gilas hopefuls. Hopefully Junemar can play for that team. He needs more exposure.

We need a pool though. Not just a bunch of players we will call up whenever there's a tournament.

Comment

UST's Ferrer thrilled to be considered for Gilas cadet pool call-up
                          By Mei-Lin Lozada
                          September 03, 2013, 10:29 am

UNIVERSITY of Santo Tomas stalwart Kevin Ferrer Gilas won’t have any second thoughts accepting the invitation of national coach Chot Reyes to become part of the Gilas Pilipinas cadet pool.

Ferrer said it has been a long-time dream of his to become a regular part of the national team.

“Super flattered ako dahil na-consider ako ni coach (Chot),” said the young UST forward in a talk with Spin.ph. "Of course, I'll accept this invitation."

Ferrer was among those Reyes wants to invite to join the cadet pool, joining other collegiate stars such as Kiefer Ravena, Terrence Romeo, Bobby Ray Parks, Chris Newsome, Arnold Van Opstal and Raymomd Almazan.

(For full story, see Ravena, Romeo, Parks, Almazan lead new batch of Gilas cadet invitees)

A member of the 2009 U-16 Philippine team that emerged as Seaba champions, Ferrer said he’s more than honored when he first heard about the invitation extended by the man who steered the country back to the Fiba-World Cup following a sensational runner-up finish in the recent 27th Fiba-Asia Championship.

Following his stint with the Philippine Youth team under coach Eric Altamirano, Ferrer said he’s long been waiting for the chance to wear the national colors again.

“Oo dream come true ko `yun (ang i-represent ang Philippines),” he said.

What’s more, members of the squad that included Ravena, Jeron Teng, Gelo Alolino, Mike Tolomia, and Parks vowed to each other that if called for national cause again, they’re all willingly lend their services.

"After ng RP Youth may promise kami sa isa't-isa na pag tinawag kaming i-represent ang bansa, walang isip-isip, 'oo' na agad,: he said.

Although the 6-foot-4 forward is still in the midst of the Growling Tigers' bid to make the Final Four of UAAP Season 76, he said he’s very excited about the prospect of becoming a national player again.

“Gustung-gusto ko ma-represent 'yung bansa natin katulad noong nasa RP Youth team pa ako. I was so proud then,” he recalled.

Ferrer has also represented the country earlier this year as part of the 3-on-3 team that competed in the Fiba-Asia tilt in Doha, Qatar. He had for his teammates fellow Blackwater players Gio Ciriacruz, Robby Celiz, and Bacon Austria.

Former youth teammate Ravena, on the other hand, would rather focus first on the ongoing UAAP season before thinking about another stint with the national team.

“Syempre honored, pero focus pa rin sa UAAP muna,” said the Ateneo star, a member of the Sinag Pilipinas squad that retained the Southeast Asian Games gold medal two years ago in Indonesia. “But I would love to serve the country. (At) basta 'di makaka-affect sa school.
                          Ako si ma4ma before. Naging simple na lang po ako.

Comment

What's WSU's stance nowadays? Will we ever see Abueva play for the NT? Together with Paul Lee, he's 1 of the guys I want to see in future NTs.

Training should start in the SEAG which is just a few months away. This should be the 1st real test for our Cadet team and for future Gilas hopefuls. Hopefully Junemar can play for that team. He needs more exposure.

We need a pool though. Not just a bunch of players we will call up whenever there's a tournament.
                            I expect the likes of Ganuelas, Jake Pascual, Ravena, Ferrer, Amer, Romeo, RR Garcia, Van Opstal to be playing on that tournament. But no PBA player.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobslerone View Post
                              UST's Ferrer thrilled to be considered for Gilas cadet pool call-up
                              By Mei-Lin Lozada
                              September 03, 2013, 10:29 am

UNIVERSITY of Santo Tomas stalwart Kevin Ferrer Gilas won’t have any second thoughts accepting the invitation of national coach Chot Reyes to become part of the Gilas Pilipinas cadet pool.

Ferrer said it has been a long-time dream of his to become a regular part of the national team.

“Super flattered ako dahil na-consider ako ni coach (Chot),” said the young UST forward in a talk with Spin.ph. "Of course, I'll accept this invitation."

Ferrer was among those Reyes wants to invite to join the cadet pool, joining other collegiate stars such as Kiefer Ravena, Terrence Romeo, Bobby Ray Parks, Chris Newsome, Arnold Van Opstal and Raymomd Almazan.

(For full story, see Ravena, Romeo, Parks, Almazan lead new batch of Gilas cadet invitees)

A member of the 2009 U-16 Philippine team that emerged as Seaba champions, Ferrer said he’s more than honored when he first heard about the invitation extended by the man who steered the country back to the Fiba-World Cup following a sensational runner-up finish in the recent 27th Fiba-Asia Championship.

Following his stint with the Philippine Youth team under coach Eric Altamirano, Ferrer said he’s long been waiting for the chance to wear the national colors again.

“Oo dream come true ko `yun (ang i-represent ang Philippines),” he said.

What’s more, members of the squad that included Ravena, Jeron Teng, Gelo Alolino, Mike Tolomia, and Parks vowed to each other that if called for national cause again, they’re all willingly lend their services.

"After ng RP Youth may promise kami sa isa't-isa na pag tinawag kaming i-represent ang bansa, walang isip-isip, 'oo' na agad,: he said.

Although the 6-foot-4 forward is still in the midst of the Growling Tigers' bid to make the Final Four of UAAP Season 76, he said he’s very excited about the prospect of becoming a national player again.

“Gustung-gusto ko ma-represent 'yung bansa natin katulad noong nasa RP Youth team pa ako. I was so proud then,” he recalled.

Ferrer has also represented the country earlier this year as part of the 3-on-3 team that competed in the Fiba-Asia tilt in Doha, Qatar. He had for his teammates fellow Blackwater players Gio Ciriacruz, Robby Celiz, and Bacon Austria.

Former youth teammate Ravena, on the other hand, would rather focus first on the ongoing UAAP season before thinking about another stint with the national team.

“Syempre honored, pero focus pa rin sa UAAP muna,” said the Ateneo star, a member of the Sinag Pilipinas squad that retained the Southeast Asian Games gold medal two years ago in Indonesia. “But I would love to serve the country. (At) basta 'di makaka-affect sa school.
                              these 2 are the shoo-ins imo...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information