Page 482 of 484 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484 LastLast
Results 9,621 to 9,640 of 9669

Thread: Philippines Cadet/Developmental Team

  1. #9621
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    This is 100% correct, now if we actually built our system with the goal of getting players to the highest level.
    I think this is where SBP should encourage unity among stakeholders. Send our best of the best prospects abroad to train. Pool resources to sponsor the players' journey and development abroad. Help shoulder his college or even high school expenses, ganun.

    I'm a UP fan (since I study in UP, and am a graduate), and will happily take talented players into the Maroons. However, come on, go to D1 or even D2 first, or the European youth systems.

  2. #9622
    Senior Member Sikatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,642
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I think this is where SBP should encourage unity among stakeholders. Send our best of the best prospects abroad to train. Pool resources to sponsor the players' journey and development abroad. Help shoulder his college or even high school expenses, ganun.

    I'm a UP fan (since I study in UP, and am a graduate), and will happily take talented players into the Maroons. However, come on, go to D1 or even D2 first, or the European youth systems.
    Yeah I agree, the UAAP and PBA should exist merely as fail-safes, not as the go to for top pinoy talent. They are decent fail-safes for sure but we arent gonna compete at the top level if our top level talent are just here.

    EDIT: Maybe at least at the developmental stages. If top talent play here at like 30, I doubt that changes much.

  3. #9623
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    187
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I want what you want as well, which is players in Europe, G-League, NBA, even Aussie NBL. I think everyone wants what you want.

    There has to be someone willing to sponsor overseas journeys. The Koreans sponsor trips to IMG Academy for their kids. I think SBP with cooperation of other sponsors should do the same. Just for a start.
    We should send at least 2 or 3 of our best young players to the NBA academy yearly, if that's possible. Maybe this will help us produce D1 caliber players.

  4. #9624
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,998

    Default

    This is how football train their youth.
    https://twitter.com/CoachingManual/s...8j8nsBSfOP4gqQ

  5. #9625
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I keep saying this, but TNT's not a good destination for developing players. Should have been a 3-and-D tweener forward, e, in addition to his rebounding amd cutting.

    To be fair, we didn't exactly have an idea of the concept of tall (6'6"-6'8") tweeners in 2015-17.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoJ View Post
    yep, as MPIC's flagship, any player they get is expected to contribute right away and compete for the title similar to SMB, atleast BGSM were able to develop Skati, Caperal, Mariano, Tolentino.

    I hope Oftana will not be relegated as a stretch 4
    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Yeah, at least Arvin was developed to be a wing with Ginebra, and Scottie got PG duties. Mags can also develop guys like Sangalang, Jalalon, Dionisio, Rome. Add MERALCO with Black and Quinto.
    In connection with the possible Gilas takeover, SMC has had some development projects, but they're just for the PBA, so far. And the SMC PBA teams, to me, do a better job of developing players for international competition than their college team, which is Letran.

    Might need to step up so as to help produce more FIBA-fit players (Baltazar, Tamayo, Navarro, Oftana, Heading types, turn guys like Yu into playmakers) and maybe sponsor player trips abroad for training?

  6. #9626
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    I hope the lesson for everyone especially young prospects. NBL>>>> KBL/BLeague, I hope they all adjust there goals accordingly.
    I hope the players dream of going there too, either as an NBA pathway or as a long-term destination. We need someone influential to spread that word, though.

    We might need to convince a few sponsors too.

  7. #9627
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    844
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Even if the PHL basketball system has yet to produce an official NBA talent, I think Kai should be counted as the first homegrown out of 5 (?) known attempts, to have become moderately successful in transitioning to a much higher level of play. This is something that should inspire/influence more of our outstanding young talents and have PHL basketball sponsors thinking that investing on high-level development of players with NBA/G-League/Euroleague/NBL-potential is not such a bad idea after all. Sure, the chance of success is a lot less to be desired (at least for now) but who knows, maybe it just needs more careful/calculated attempts to finally open the floodgates.

  8. #9628
    Senior Member Sikatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,642
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Part of it is a lack of ambition combined with a low level of play in this country. Ideally the low level of HS ball is compensated by allowing top prospect to move to say the UAAP or more likely the PBA early. But again money is the main issue here.

    Check out this quote from Bill Bayno on Japeth:

    Bayno felt Aguilar could have had a better chance of making it to the NBA if he had regularly played in the United States.

    “If he were born and raised in the US, played against the best players every summer in high school, it might have sped up his development. I know he really had a good career over there but he was the first kid that I saw that is coming up,” said Bayno.
    Our system really lacks the focus to be successful at the highest level. I may sound like a broken record but again this is the main problem I see.

  9. #9629
    Senior Member Sikatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,642
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Just add to the list, PH homegrown prospects who played/are playing HS ball in the US:

    Echo Laure
    Kenji Duremdes
    Renzo Competente
    Santi Sauler

    Is that it? Prospects only, Im not counting like BRP

  10. #9630
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccharmed View Post
    I do hope my favorite team (not family, as they have their own uaap teams to root for) will get the 6'9 trio of gagate, demisana and filam alter as 4s, and prepare them better even than kai and tamayo. Serious money at least is backing up the mbt. I really want them to beat college-level teams in serbia, russia and spain. I really like to see the uaap level up even in the high school league.
    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Hey, a fellow UP alum. That's why you root for UP. Well, we do have Lina and Catapusan as holdover players at 4 and 5 for next year, along with Diouf. Getting Gagate, Gab Demisana, and Alter could be good. And even if they play 5, at least get them as mobile as Tamayo, or even more mobile, so that they can still play 4 alongside a taller player at 5.
    I do hope UPIS can develop overseas-worthy players to, as in they can play overseas after high school, or even after first year of college, and sponsor any overseas journeys of players who left UP or UPIS for overseas.

    Chooks is a big sponsor, as well as Converge, but we also have alumni boosters, especially the nowhere to go but UP foundation. Perasol's frat brod, Atty. Agaton Uvero is a big sponsor. Hope they're willing, though.

  11. #9631
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,453
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    These for me are the players that we should be integrating into our Gilas cadet program ASAP:

    Cholo Anonuevo
    Evan Nelle
    Fortsky Padrigao ( I know all of U would be raising your eyebrows)
    Mason Amos (probably the player with the most potential in this group)
    Seven Gagate
    Heinz Demisana
    Abadam
    Caelum Harris
    Alex Konov
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  12. #9632
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    These for me are the players that we should be integrating into our Gilas cadet program ASAP:

    Cholo Anonuevo
    Evan Nelle
    Fortsky Padrigao ( I know all of U would be raising your eyebrows)
    Mason Amos (probably the player with the most potential in this group)
    Seven Gagate
    Heinz Demisana
    Abadam
    Caelum Harris
    Alex Konov
    I'll adopt a wait-and-see approach on Forthsky. Hope he doesn't touch any girls in the meantime. Hahahahahaha.

    I'd add Aldous Torculas and Terrence Fortea of UP to the cadet program too. Sorry for the bias, but they could be useful if developed right.

  13. #9633
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    How about Encho Valdez of Lyceum... that guy can be the 2nd coming of CJ Perez or Castro... I'm not solve on Fortea and Padrigao... Those can will be Kiefer's clone, And we all know Kiefer is ineffective in FIBA games...
    Encho or Enoch? Crap, I forgot about him. Yeah, hopefully he develops his playmaking. The_Big_Cat also mentioned John Barba of Lyceum. I might add Justine Sanchez of Beda.

    Fortea and Padrigao's a wait-and-see approach for me, since they had ONE good game so far this season. I wanna see consistency first.

  14. #9634
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    These for me are the players that we should be integrating into our Gilas cadet program ASAP:

    Cholo Anonuevo
    Evan Nelle
    Fortsky Padrigao ( I know all of U would be raising your eyebrows)
    Mason Amos (probably the player with the most potential in this group)
    Seven Gagate
    Heinz Demisana
    Abadam
    Caelum Harris
    Alex Konov
    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I'll adopt a wait-and-see approach on Forthsky. Hope he doesn't touch any girls in the meantime. Hahahahahaha.

    I'd add Aldous Torculas and Terrence Fortea of UP to the cadet program too. Sorry for the bias, but they could be useful if developed right.
    Paul Desiderio, Vhong Navarro and Marcus Adoro Says Hi to Fortsky hehehe. I hope he behaves this time (or hire Ricci Rivero's PR team)

  15. #9635
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    These for me are the players that we should be integrating into our Gilas cadet program ASAP:

    Cholo Anonuevo
    Evan Nelle
    Fortsky Padrigao ( I know all of U would be raising your eyebrows)
    Mason Amos (probably the player with the most potential in this group)
    Seven Gagate
    Heinz Demisana
    Abadam
    Caelum Harris
    Alex Konov
    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I'll adopt a wait-and-see approach on Forthsky. Hope he doesn't touch any girls in the meantime. Hahahahahaha.

    I'd add Aldous Torculas and Terrence Fortea of UP to the cadet program too. Sorry for the bias, but they could be useful if developed right.
    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    How about Encho Valdez of Lyceum... that guy can be the 2nd coming of CJ Perez or Castro... I'm not solve on Fortea and Padrigao... Those can will be Kiefer's clone, And we all know Kiefer is ineffective in FIBA games...
    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Encho or Enoch? Crap, I forgot about him. Yeah, hopefully he develops his playmaking. The_Big_Cat also mentioned John Barba of Lyceum. I might add Justine Sanchez of Beda.

    Fortea and Padrigao's a wait-and-see approach for me, since they had ONE good game so far this season. I wanna see consistency first.
    That said about Fortea and Padrigao, my point stands on Torculas and Sanchez.

    I'd like to add James Spencer and Josh Lazaro too. They could be useful defenders. Lazaro has upside too, he's been handling the ball lately with Ateneo, and can defend the perimeter.

  16. #9636
    Senior Member Sikatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,642
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Did some research and in certain states like California NIL deals can be signed even at high school


    https://gmtm.com/articles/california...ikeness-rights

    Two ways this can be used, one is that we start paying the way for top PH based athletes to train in the US with an eye for D1. Second thought is certain schools start paying US based FilAms with a wink wink end up later in my UAAP school deals.

  17. #9637
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    75
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikatrix View Post
    Did some research and in certain states like California NIL deals can be signed even at high school


    https://gmtm.com/articles/california...ikeness-rights

    Two ways this can be used, one is that we start paying the way for top PH based athletes to train in the US with an eye for D1. Second thought is certain schools start paying US based FilAms with a wink wink end up later in my UAAP school deals.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of effect this will have. Other asian countries especially China, have been sending prospects in the US for more than a decade. Same with Korea. Some are family-funded and some are government programs. Since we know that we can't expect our government to do the same, it's interesting if PH businesses will look into this type of 'investment.'

    D1 recruits typically commit the summer before their senior HS season so the ideal time to start playing in the US is freshman year (a year earlier will be good too so top HS programs can recruit the player). That will give the player time to acclimate, earn starting spots and eventually get into the top teams/circuits.

    That involves a lot of commitment in both the player and the benefactor.

  18. #9638
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metta View Post
    It will be interesting to see what kind of effect this will have. Other asian countries especially China, have been sending prospects in the US for more than a decade. Same with Korea. Some are family-funded and some are government programs. Since we know that we can't expect our government to do the same, it's interesting if PH businesses will look into this type of 'investment.'

    D1 recruits typically commit the summer before their senior HS season so the ideal time to start playing in the US is freshman year (a year earlier will be good too so top HS programs can recruit the player). That will give the player time to acclimate, earn starting spots and eventually get into the top teams/circuits.

    That involves a lot of commitment in both the player and the benefactor.
    If we find the players, we need benefactors that will sponsor the players' journeys abroad. Have them support the player financially, and maybe advice on training.

  19. #9639
    Senior Member IPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9,160
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metta View Post
    Yep, the cruel truth. That's why it's important, especially those projected to be really tall, to train/develop lateral speed while young. Speed ladders, resistance bands and play a lot of patintero hehe.
    Yep, important to develop mobility first, then strength. Produce taller players that can be as mobile as smaller players, like Justine Baltazar, Carl Tamayo, Calvin Oftana, Will Navarro.

  20. #9640
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    75
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Yep, important to develop mobility first, then strength. Produce taller players that can be as mobile as smaller players, like Justine Baltazar, Carl Tamayo, Calvin Oftana, Will Navarro.
    Yes, that is an important point about not developing strength early. I have seen the development of several players from early youth to D1. A lot of those who make it to the next level were not strong when they were young. Since they were not strong, they had to develop other skills like shooting, ball-handling, passing, moving well etc. Those who get an early head start in terms of strength and size tend to peak early because that is what they rely on, and when everyone else grows and strengthens their advantage is gone.

    It's amazing how scouts have become experts at predicting who turns out well. The really good ones can predict at around 11-12 years old (before growth spurt) who will make it to the college ranks, and most of their choices are not the top players among 11-12.

    Someone mentioned here that Korea sends their pre-teen prospects to the US for development. I'm sure they have similar scouts who are good at predicting/identifying prospects.

Page 482 of 484 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •