This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
    Majority of the current/incoming tall wings in the country are still noneligibles, but this is the trend that we want in order to “internationalize” our positional size. With our tall prospects wanting to play in the perimeter as well, next trend is we will see more 5-out offenses in collegiate and professional leagues—which again is what we want to happen to improve overall level of play.

Main hindrance, however, will be the traditional coaches who will force the players to adjust to their style. As usual.
    Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    It is bound to happen.

The only Tall Player I can see dominant in Pba is Junmar and Cstand

Other Tall Young Players will idolize Nba Tall Wings anyway.

One reason I think why our tall players are postup playstyle is because they idolize the likes of Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Duncan, etc.

Now, No Postup Bigs aside from Jokic and Embiid.

Now,Out Tall players will probably idloize the likes of Tatum, KD, and the likes
    Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
    We still cant be so sure. This is not something that will happen organically especially if traditional coaches will maintain the status quo. A more concerted effort is still needed to continue this trend.
    Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    The million dollar question is: do we have any new generation of coaches willing to adapt to the modern way of basketball?

If it's really proving difficult to get Tab or Dickel to handle the team, why has there not been any signs of technology transfer through the decade?
    I think we do already have these coaches locally—topex robinson with his 5-out offense in phoenix, jimmy alapag, aldin ayo to name a few. Im sure there are others.
    Tim Cone actually plays some small-ball with Ginebra, especially with the guys he plays at 4. Aljon, Arvin, and Dillinger are wings (although Aljon is kind of a tweener). But, he's not exactly part of the new generation. If he's more willing to adapt than most other younger coaches, something's wrong with their thinking.

Ayo, actually, yeah. He made Sherwin Concepcion play more like an off-ball SG, despite Concepcion being a 4. Hopefully he refines his small-ball further and can put taller guys at the 4-spot. Hell, even Bo frickin' Perasol (also not part of the new generation) has some small-ball concepts, as he doesn't make Javi and Kobe traditional 4's.

We'll need more coaches willing to embrace small-ball concepts, and we need them to win at the domestic level. A 4-out or even 5-out positionless system is ideal for development, and may increase our chance to develop taller or more versatile players at every position, especially those in the frontcourt.

Comment

• Tim cone’s rotation is always a product of available personnel. If he had a healthy slaughter, im willing to say that he will force that japeth-gs twin tower lineup.

Comment

Tim cone’s rotation is always a product of available personnel. If he had a healthy slaughter, im willing to say that he will force that japeth-gs twin tower lineup.
        Recently, specifically 2018-2019, however, even with a healthy Greg, his closing lineups involved only one of Japeth and Greg, the 4 being either JDV or Brownlee. I've only seen that lineup in the import conferences, though. Not sure with All-Filipino. But still, that twin tower lineup, he can do that because he has the personnel to do that, which I can't really say for almost every other domestic coach. If they don't have the personnel, in my opinion, they have to go to a more perimeter-centric offense for their 4's and even 5's.

Comment

• Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
          The Indian community actually have a league of their own here, the FIBL

and btw, our Cricket national team is compost mostly by Filipino-Indians

https://youtu.be/RNuDE53aTLI
          Are players in the FIBL Philippine citizens? My hunch is they are not that's why they don't seem to join the PBA unless they are "half Indian".

The SBP should scout some potential talents among them and file for naturalization. They can provide some size and heft

Imagine us having several more skilled Pinoy version of Ghogar (Thai of Indian descent)

Comment

Gabe, yes. Jdv, no. He’s too slow to guard in the perimeter full time. Think of jdv like lamar odom, you could play him as a 3 in limited minutes but natural position is still 4.
            Agree. JDV will have trouble keeping in step with small forwards like Rayray Parks, Matt Wright, Allein Maliksi.

I think JDV can play some small forward but it all depends on the match-up. I think JDV will be able to hang on there defending guys like Sean Anthony or Kevin Ferrer or Arwind Santos at the 3 spot.

A prime JDV would have been a perfecr stretch-4 for Gilas if only he is eligible. I see JDV as some sort of a taller RDO.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
              I think William Navarro should be playing more as a 3/small forward rather than as a "four". Though he played as a small ball 4 with Ateneo under coach Tab & the function/role of a small ball 4 is very similar with that of a small forward, iba pa rin syempre if he gets enough reps playing the 3 spot.

Navarro has the handles, the laterals & the shooting to play the 3 spot. I find him to fit the 3 spot better than Kobe Paras.
              I agree with this only because of his frame. I think he is too light even for local 4’s. The challenge for him is whether he can keep up with other wing players defensively in the perimeter. If not, he has to fill out his body more to handle additional physicality of being a 4.
              Nothing wrong with getting stronger as long as mobility isn't sacrificed that much. I think it's kind of inevitable that Navarro will play some small ball 4 as a 3rd wing just because we don't have enough 4's like Baltazar. However, I do think he will do better at the 3 than at the 4 at the PBA level, because that's his skillset.

Guys like Navarro, like I always say, should be the general rule for the 4 in the domestic level, especially if the 4 is under 6'6". Easier adjustment to play the 3. Hopefully guys like Kobe and other 6'5" 4-men can follow this example as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                I think William Navarro should be playing more as a 3/small forward rather than as a "four". Though he played as a small ball 4 with Ateneo under coach Tab & the function/role of a small ball 4 is very similar with that of a small forward, iba pa rin syempre if he gets enough reps playing the 3 spot.

Navarro has the handles, the laterals & the shooting to play the 3 spot. I find him to fit the 3 spot better than Kobe Paras.
                I agree with this only because of his frame. I think he is too light even for local 4’s. The challenge for him is whether he can keep up with other wing players defensively in the perimeter. If not, he has to fill out his body more to handle additional physicality of being a 4.
                Nothing wrong with getting stronger as long as mobility isn't sacrificed that much. I think it's kind of inevitable that Navarro will play some small ball 4 as a 3rd wing just because we don't have enough 4's like Baltazar. However, I do think he will do better at the 3 than at the 4 at the PBA level, because that's his skillset.

Guys like Navarro, like I always say, should be the general rule for the 4 in the domestic level, especially if the 4 is under 6'6". Easier adjustment to play the 3. Hopefully guys like Kobe and other 6'5" 4-men can follow this example as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                  I don't know why until now others are still complaining to this eligibility criteria.. I think we should move on now on this.. we can make a good run even with this hagop rule.. why still fuming about this.. much better if sbp will rather develop local based players rather than recruiting foreign based players...
                  Originally posted by Labradoodle View Post
                  Takot kasing masapawan tayo ng Indonesia o Qatar.

Kaya naman tayo takot kasi alam natin na pwedeng magstagnate uli ang NT program.

At may posibilidad na kapag successful ang current program, may Pinoy coach na nagtatangkang maging director ng Gilas program.
                  Agree with robert. While the foreign-based Filipinos are a good addition, we still need to focus on homegrowns. We are still producing talents. We just need to get them the facilities and the proper development. Plus, we need to be focusing on sending kids abroad to train, not necessarily play for D1 schools, although that would be a welcome development.

Yeah, the national team program may stagnate. OK lang kung Pilipino ang sumunod, as long as he has a modern outlook on how we should train and develop players and systems, similar to Tab. OK lang if a Tab disciple takes over from him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post

I honestly think that Kobe is better off at the 4 spot while Navarro is better off as a 3. I saw Navarro na pinostihan ng Taiwanese big guy when Ateneo played in the 2018 Jones Cup & Navarro couldn't hold his ground against the banging Taiwanese big guy who easily scored off him .
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                      Agree with robert. While the foreign-based Filipinos are a good addition, we still need to focus on homegrowns. We are still producing talents. We just need to get them the facilities and the proper development. Plus, we need to be focusing on sending kids abroad to train, not necessarily play for D1 schools, although that would be a welcome development.

Yeah, the national team program may stagnate. OK lang kung Pilipino ang sumunod, as long as he has a modern outlook on how we should train and develop players and systems, similar to Tab. OK lang if a Tab disciple takes over from him.
                      I worry that Tab's successor may be someone who will revert back to the all PBA program and therefore depriving our younger players international exposure.

Alam naman natin ang nangyari after Toroman left. The SBP/successor didn't really push through his blueprint. Balik "PBA all star" hanggang sa napahiya tayo ng PBA nung 2019. Nung nagretire na ang maraming beterano sa competitive international games, we went downhill

I hope Indonesia pushes through Toroman's blueprint even after the World Cup. The Southeast Asian region needs more teams that can bring more competition to Asia. (Kahit Asia lang muna)

Comment

Indonesia's program is in good hands.. Walang pulitika doon.. Their PRO league (IBL) is very supportive to their national team.. Sulit din ang bayad for Prosper because he's always available willing to stay in Indonesia, Their PRO league allowing Prosper and Jawato to play there, unlike here hindi welcome mga naturalized player.. We are the only national team that our naturalized players are no connection to their mother country PRO league (PBA), Example Blatche, He not even played any single minute in the PBA because higher ups is afraid of Blatche impact..
                        If the SBP does not become fully independent of PBA influences in the years tonl come, I won't be surprised of Indonesia will outdo us in basketball in 10 years

Theoretically, the PBA should be subordinate to the SBP but it seems that it is the other way around. Haha

Comment

• Does anyone know if the SBP has plans in creating "tiered teams" from the cadets pool in the long run? What I mean is something like what other countries do like sending their most elite team in the WC or Olympics and sending a " level 1 development teams" to the Asia Cup and level 2 dev team in stuff like SEA Games? Or do they only have a plan for one big pool?

Comment

• From a purely who's better for FIBA , it's does not follow that PBA players are elite and players outside the PBA are a tier below. For one these players outside are not amateurs they're actually pros getting paid , second they are not actually young , Baltazar for example at 24 yrs old is in many leagues outside the Philippines a pro vet. Additionally the cadets actually are longer have more size as they were picked for FIBA international ball. And lastly those who play outside the PBA train and practice with FIBA rules unlike their PBA counterparts. One can argue that majority (more than 50 %) of our best suited FIBA players are actually outside the PBA

Comment

TNT is also doing modern style small ball for years.. I hope Chot Reyes to continue what Mark Dickel implement his system.. Baka bumalik na naman sya sa bara-bara system that he likes.. I remember when he handle Parks in 2017, He did him only ala Gabe Norwood.. which is OK but you see how he effective if he give Parks some offensive option.. Baka kasi ma stagnant laro ni Parks if he decides to be a role player for him..
                              Chot actually started the small-ball trend in TNT. You mentioned in one thread about the TNT lineup with RDO and Kelly as the bigs. They were a perfect small-ball big duo. His system frankly kind of fits TNT's personnel, especially Parks and Castro, and hopefully he can turn Troy and Erram into more versatile players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Labradoodle View Post
                                If the SBP does not become fully independent of PBA influences in the years tonl come, I won't be surprised of Indonesia will outdo us in basketball in 10 years

Theoretically, the PBA should be subordinate to the SBP but it seems that it is the other way around. Haha
                                It really does look the other way around. It can't really assert itself on the PBA for some reason.

Well, gotta work with what you got. They also have to be less reliant on the PBA and look more outside, especially the upcoming talents we have. We have to focus on developing and exposing the young talents, especially in the WC windows, since we're qualified there anyway. About time we saw teenagers play for the senior team, anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information