Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among the current members of the Gilas cadet pool, its only Mike Nieto who is viewed by most IBNers as sort of the "odd one out". But of course we know the reason why he is in the pool - familiarity. That is Mike Nieto's edge over any other possible prospect out there. But as the pool continues to train & play, the "familiarity" edge of Mike over any other player out there diminishes.

During the 2nd window, Mike's familiarity with coach Tab's system mattered a lot as the pool/team had limited time for training/preparation. But now that mas mahaba ang training ng pool/team going into the 3rd window (even if training was disrupted twice becoz of the worsening case of pandemic), I think the non-Ateneo players of the pool are already familiar & have already assimilated themselves enough with coach Tab's system.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Edited

Let us see how cadets will perform this june. Hopefully no cancellation

Comment

• On Matt, I would just say this relative to how good the guards in NBA are (Westbrook, Curry Lillard, Harden etc) who are all big and prolific scorers, ask your self why is undersized CP3 an MVP candidate and perhaps even ahead of all those i mentioned in the MVP race?
        It's not all height , scoring etc, there are intangibles one has to factor. And besides it's not like we won't be including scoring and big guards in the line up.
        End of the day if Tab sees Matt as an essential player in the best possible team (not top 12 players) then so be it.
        The coaches would know best

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
          Up until now there are a lot of people asking why Romeo, Abueva isn't in the pool..

Matt is a solid player. But we need a starting player PG with higher ceiling and Matt to me screams backup player. I want to see if SJ or RJ can be that player
          in 2023, d starting pg will be heading or someone from d pba.

but barring an injury or sudden regression, matt is a lock for d final 12. book it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
            On Matt, I would just say this relative to how good the guards in NBA are (Westbrook, Curry Lillard, Harden etc) who are all big and prolific scorers, ask your self why is undersized CP3 an MVP candidate and perhaps even ahead of all those i mentioned in the MVP race?
            It's not all height , scoring etc, there are intangibles one has to factor. And besides it's not like we won't be including scoring and big guards in the line up.
            End of the day if Tab sees Matt as an essential player in the best possible team (not top 12 players) then so be it.
            The coaches would know best
            Hmmm.

I feel Matt intangibles is not on par with cp3.

Cp3's midrange is money. His playmaking is an all time great. His defense is one of the best in his position.

Peronal opinion. I will say the gap between CP3 and Steph is way way slimmer than the gap between Matt and Juan(or Heading)

Anyways, I have no problem now for Matt playing in Windows.

And yeah. U are right. Coaches would cut Matt naman IF (big if) he will have a sawsaw performance.

Having said all of that, I will still rank Juan and Heading over him at PG Position.

Maybe I will prefer matt over RJ though. Cause of familiarity of system.

But if Matt proved he is a WC level PG. Why not.

Comment

• In terms of point production Steph 32 pts a game is double that of Cp3 , 16 . Yet some have CP3 ahead in the MVP race.

But anyway u can have all 3 , Juan , Heading and Matt in a team. It's not about who's better

Especially if your 11th or 12th man don't necessarily have to be better, than everyone else who wasn't selected.
              Sometimes it is better to have less talent for your 11th and 12th man if the tradeoff is he is a better teammate and supportive of the main guys which essentially translates to having a better team, the best team isnt the best 12 players.
              Some guys are better as a 11th or 12th man . Some players are not good to a team if their role is hardly to play

Comment

• Anyway, This is a glimpse of what matt can offer.

But let us see how will he performs against stronger teams like Korea

Comment

In terms of point production Steph 32 pts a game is double that of Cp3 , 16 . Yet some have CP3 ahead in the MVP race.

But anyway u can have all 3 , Juan , Heading and Matt in a team. It's not about who's better
                  If we will have no pba point guards. I can agree with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                    If we will have no pba point guards. I can agree with that.
                    only ravena and bolick comes to mind. and i think in 2023, only one pba pg will make d team, at most.

Comment

In terms of point production Steph 32 pts a game is double that of Cp3 , 16 . Yet some have CP3 ahead in the MVP race.

Especially if your 11th or 12th man don't necessarily have to be better, than everyone else who wasn't selected.
                      Sometimes it is better to have less talent for your 11th and 12th man if the tradeoff is he is a better teammate and supportive of the main guys which essentially translates to having a better team, the best team isnt the best 12 players.
                      Some guys are better as a 11th or 12th man . Some players are not good to a team if their role is hardly to play
                      because winning record matters

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                        https://youtu.be/EanX0epaHLg

Anyway, This is a glimpse of what matt can offer.

But let us see how will he performs against stronger teams like Korea
                        check his game vs sokor in 2018 jones cup

Comment

• What if Matt doesn't make much turnovers, and while he doesn't get an assist recorded to him, makes the right pass. Tapos the impact is is seen in plus minus when he's on the court .. doesn't that count if you're the coach ? Wouldn't you want a guy like that especially as 11th and 12th man for insurance..
                          For anyone who's ever coached , it really helps to have guys like that on the team, and it doesn't mean he's better than those not selected. It's being a star or best for a specific role.. like Kobe while obviously more talented may not be fit for that kind of role..

Comment

• Matt was solid last qualifiers, good performances. I think it matters what team they are trying to build.(If they want a team that is versatile defensively)I think he’s in the same boat as the Rj\Sj high iq good players but defensive liabilities internationally. If his role is just an 11th man then yes he’s a good choice as a leader and someone who can control the pace.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                              Among the current members of the Gilas cadet pool, its only Mike Nieto who is viewed by most IBNers as sort of the "odd one out". But of course we know the reason why he is in the pool - familiarity. That is Mike Nieto's edge over any other possible prospect out there. But as the pool continues to train & play, the "familiarity" edge of Mike over any other player out there diminishes.

During the 2nd window, Mike's familiarity with coach Tab's system mattered a lot as the pool/team had limited time for training/preparation. But now that mas mahaba ang training ng pool/team going into the 3rd window (even if training was disrupted twice becoz of the worsening case of pandemic), I think the non-Ateneo players of the pool are already familiar & have already assimilated themselves enough with coach Tab's system.
                              i see skills. not d castro or romeo type of skills.

more on d racela or castillo type of skills.

but he got skills that matter.

in d 2nd window, if familiarity was so important. then u probably would not have seen mike and navarro sitting a game or playing limited minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                                Matt was solid last qualifiers, good performances. I think it matters what team they are trying to build.(If they want a team that is versatile defensively)I think he’s in the same boat as the Rj\Sj high iq good players but defensive liabilities internationally. If his role is just an 11th man then yes he’s a good choice as a leader and someone who can control the pace.
                                for now, matt is a better defender than sj and rj.

but we will need someone like ravena (or cj if he can play pg) to play that playmakar-defender role.

but i would like to see how jordan plays defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information