This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @IPC

I just can't agree lang kasi with that notion ng iba dyan who seem to undermine the value of a skilled 7-foot or above center & saying like "The way to go is by having highly skilled, mobile, athletic & quick 6-foot-7 "fours" & 6-8/6-foot-9 centers". The thing is the most succesful teams in Asian basketball in the last 10 yrs or so are teams with skilled 7-foot centers as in the case of China & Iran.

The "small ball" concept, while successful in the NBA & Europe, has yet to succeed in Asian basketball. Only Korea was able to do that in the 2014 Asian Games basketball when it won the gold medal.

The most consistent gold medal winners/contenders in Asian basketball in the last 15 yrs are China & Iran - teams with skilled 7-foot bigs.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
      @IPC

I just can't agree lang kasi with that notion ng iba dyan who seem to undermine the value of a skilled 7-foot or above center & saying like "The way to go is by having highly skilled, mobile, athletic & quick 6-foot-7 "fours" & 6-8/6-foot-9 centers". The thing is the most succesful teams in Asian basketball in the last 10 yrs or so are teams with skilled 7-foot centers as in the case of China & Iran.

The "small ball" concept, while successful in the NBA & Europe, has yet to succeed in Asian basketball. Only Korea was able to do that in the 2014 Asian Games basketball when it won the gold medal.

The most consistent gold medal winners/contenders in Asian basketball in the last 15 yrs are China & Iran - teams with skilled 7-foot bigs.
      Ganito kasi. For small-ball to work (or any other lineup for that matter), you have to outmatch your opponent in terms of skill, talent, and tactics, or at least a few of these things. China and Iran have dominated thanks to their superiority in talent, skill, and like you mentioned, size. Iba gravity ng skilled 7-footer, e. You have Jokić, Embiid, and even AD (who's not even a 7-footer). E, we're actually kind of disadvantage in most of those areas compared to Iran, China, and even Japan.

The small-ball can work, but we have to out-talent and out-skill our opponents, and beat them in terms of tactics. Frankly, that's going to take a long time, so we have to develop tactics and as much talent as we can as soon as possible. Hopefully, at least from 1 to 4, we can develop guys that can out-talent other Asian teams.

Comment

• ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
        Here's my take, I think China, Iran or any Asian team for that matter would rather face a Gilas team with a tougher, stonger, and more skilled version of Japeth Aguilar (which is our idea of small ball center) than facing a Gilas team with a center as tall & skilled as a Hamed Hadadi, Wang Zhizhi or Zhou Qi.

It would be like the Chinese or the Iranians telling us, "By all means sa inyo na yang skilled, athletic & highly mobile 6-foot-9 center, while amin yung skilled 7-foot or above center".
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
          Ganito kasi. For small-ball to work (or any other lineup for that matter), you have to outmatch your opponent in terms of skill, talent, and tactics, or at least a few of these things. China and Iran have dominated thanks to their superiority in talent, skill, and like you mentioned, size. Iba gravity ng skilled 7-footer, e. You have Jokić, Embiid, and even AD (who's not even a 7-footer). E, we're actually kind of disadvantage in most of those areas compared to Iran, China, and even Japan.

The small-ball can work, but we have to out-talent and out-skill our opponents, and beat them in terms of tactics. Frankly, that's going to take a long time, so we have to develop tactics and as much talent as we can as soon as possible. Hopefully, at least from 1 to 4, we can develop guys that can out-talent other Asian teams.
          Which means having guards like Tai Webster, Wael Arkji, Sam Daghlas, wings like Samad Bahrami, Thomas Abercrombie, Makoto Heijima, Rui Hachimura, Bechnam Yakchali & "fours" like Abudushamalu Abudurexiti, Yuta Watanabe, & Arsalan Kazemi. Maybe by having these type of players in our team, baka di na natin kailangan ng 7-foot center to be Asia's best team. Kailangan nalang natin are highly mobile, skilled, flexible & athletic 6-foot-9 centers . The thing is, there's no way we can have these kind of players as of now or even in the next 7 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuck View Post
            With the uncertainty around the league. A gilas mainstay is playing in the b league and missing a few conferences next year. I expect more to follow
            Sana nga. It will be beneficial for them to be exposed to good foreign competition early on, then use whatever they learned in the PBA once they go back.

Comment

Which means having guards like Tai Webster, Wael Arkji, Sam Daghlas, wings like Samad Bahrami, Thomas Abercrombie, Makoto Heijima, Rui Hachimura, Bechnam Yakchali & "fours" like Abudushamalu Abudurexiti, Yuta Watanabe, & Arsalan Kazemi. Maybe by having these type of players in our team, baka di na natin kailangan ng 7-foot center to be Asia's best team. Kailangan nalang natin are highly mobile, skilled, flexible & athletic 6-foot-9 centers . The thing is, there's no way we can have these kind of players as of now or even in the next 7 years.
              My point exactly. We need to have those kinds of players as well if we're gonna have a prayer of beating the Asian powers with a small-ball lineup.

Good thing naman we have a 7-footer in Kai, who will become our game-changing big. However, even with him around, we also need to have the requisite talent around him to establish ourselves as Asia's best team. I think the talent we do have has the potential to develop to be at the very least, slightly below the level of the guys you mentioned (bar Rui and Haddadi).

If we can find more talent that can complement this batch of cadets, then good. Hopefully the likes of Demisana, Salvoro, Abarrientos, Cortez, Quiambao, Tamayo, Lazaro, Lopez, Torculas, and Jordi come through and be good enough for the senior team.

Comment

Kai's decision to play for Gilas in the 3rd window is a great development. I think most of us here have excitedly been waiting for this to happen - Kai playing his 1st international game in the seniors level. And Kai's chance of making it to the final 12-man roster in any of the 3 games we'll play in the 3rd window is almost a sure thing. When was the last time the Philippine basketball team had an 18-year old player in its roster? Maybe more than 30 years ago pa?

I've been curious about the kind or the amount of impact Kai can make at this stage of his career in the senior level FIBA competition. I think if Kai joins the "Calambubble" about 2 weeks before the 3rd window, ok na rin yun. We should give the kid special consideration since he's currently training with the Ignite team in the US.
                Gilas should actually look to get more teenagers in the lineup. Hopefully, this can be the case in the World Cup windows, where we'll have more room because we're the host. Development is key right now, e.

Comment

Here's Deni Avdija:

the key is to produce a lot of guys who are at least 200 cm./6'7" tall and has all the necessary skills.Athleticism,dribbling,shooting/form etc. This is where the Philippines' problem lies. If we have 5 young players with the height and skills of Kobe Paras (local born and raised), 5 young players with the height and skills of Christian David (foreign born) and 5 young players (at least 14 years old) with the height and skills of Ron Harper (players with foreign blood), that would not be a problem.

"How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21
                    Off topic but what do you think of Aldous Torculas?
                    Originally posted by TheNatural7
                    Legit athlete, but his offense is literal trash. He could be really good, but he's really raw. For his level of athleticism, he's incredibly inefficient (10 percentage points below average TS%) and he only shoots 35% from 2. They experiment with him as a ball handler (which is good), but he's very TO prone (5th in Adjusted TO%). This experimentation could maybe lead to him becoming a good ball handler in the next level. But, the bad side is he's starting to develop bad shooting habits. He takes 48.84% (Padrigao takes 50.19% of his shots from 3 for a comparison) of his shots from 3 (might be by design, might be poor handles, might be because his team is bad) and this could result into over shooting down the line. This also results to him not drawing FTs as much as his body type or athleticism would suggest. Top tier UAAP athletes like Cholo and Lopez have a 40+ FT rate (42.7 for Cholo, 56.5 for Lopez), but Torculas is only at 24.19 (which is below Forthsky even).

He has really good counting stats on defense, but that's partially because he plays a lot of minutes (most in the league) and UP plays the fastest.

For rebounds, he's 1st raw, but 6th pace adjusted. For assists, he's 3rd raw, but 16th (!) pace adjusted. For steals, he's 2nd raw, 7th pace adjusted. For blocks, he's 2nd raw and adjusted and he has the second best block percentage in the UAAP (after Lopez).

But I don't think he's as good defensively as the numbers suggest. UP was the worst defensive team (BY FAR) in the UAAP (and 2nd worst overall). His big numbers and minutes did not translate as good defense. He's a good athlete with great potential on that end, but at the moment, he isn't really all that. Him making the Mythical 5 doesn't make sense, but he has a ton of potential and is being developed in an environment that encourages experimentation which could benefit him in the long run.
                    As for shooting, he has to work on his free throws and midrange game first. Those are better indicators than the 3-ball.

He's what, 16, 17? He has a lot of time to grow, and he looks like he has a high ceiling. Hopefully he works hard to reach that.

Good thing he plays in an environment which encourages experimentation. Hopefully, that will be true for Demisana, so he can be encouraged to develop into at least a versatile combo forward.

By the way, where do you get those advanced stats?

Comment

• Originally posted by dubidub
                      As long as its not in the PBA, I'd be satisfied. NBA, Euroleague, NBL, CBA ok na. As long as he becomes a monster for Gilas.
                      We should expect this for every cadet talented enough to make it abroad. Hopefully more amateurs consider going to overseas leagues para at least masanay sa laro doon.

Comment

We should expect this for every cadet talented enough to make it abroad. Hopefully more amateurs consider going to overseas leagues para at least masanay sa laro doon.
                        more pinoy ballers playing abroad, the better.. hope someday KBL will open doors to pinoy ballers..
                        Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                          more pinoy ballers playing abroad, the better.. hope someday KBL will open doors to pinoy ballers..
                          Wow. I am agreeing on a lot of your posts and opinion today.

Yeah. It is both good and bad.

Good: It means our players are International level players/overseas level players.

Bad: it shows that our country doesnt have the capability to develop our own players. Which is true

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                            Wow. I am agreeing on a lot of your posts and opinion today.

Yeah. It is both good and bad.

Good: It means our players are International level players/overseas level players.

Bad: it shows that our country doesnt have the capability to develop our own players. Which is true
                            The good may outweigh the bad in the future. The ones that did make it would be able to pass on the knowledge of how they were developed overseas. Depends if the coaching staffs will take the advice of the players who played abroad.

Comment

• Originally posted by spidey102279

Can anybody tell me what happened to this Kobe??
                              I have already forgotten that he can play like this.
                              Maybe he just looks good on highlight clips.. he looked much more fluid and coordinated in that video

Comment

• Originally posted by spidey102279

Can anybody tell me what happened to this Kobe??
                                I have already forgotten that he can play like this.
                                That is a SG Kobe Paras back then. He have handles, athleticism, and shooting.

That Kind of Kove died.

Kobe is a Combo Forward now at 6'6 and stronger body.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information