This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Basically saying that the only players who have the rights to play as a traditional/modern postup/mobile Bigs are

6'10 and above.

Seeing Tamayo and Balti being successful at Wings, I kinda agree with this

Though, We can't deny the fact that the only reason they can play on those positions is because Kai, Ange, Isaac and Geo are in the Pool.

Last Window, when Gilas Lack Bigs. Coach tab forced to use Kobe as a traditional PF, and Balti at Center
    Can all agree that Paras and Oftana should play as a wing? Both are much mobile than Tamayo and Balti. But many are pushing them to play as small ball 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
      The problem is, the average Pinoy basketball fan is allergic to Fil-Fors and PH basketball in general (players, coaches, and fans) is very insular and protectionist. So local players and coaches don't want foreigners taking away their jobs? Then GIT GUD SCRUBS. That's how the game of basketball improves everywhere, by increasing the level of competition. Like sharpens like.

Does the PBA not know that revenue will be better in the long run if the level of competition is higher? The better our NT and pro league perform internationally, the more likely that better players will be coming over here to play, hindi yung puro latak na lang nakukuha natin because of the height restrictions and allowing only one import.

People look at China and be like, "Why are they dominating in Asia and are competitive in the world stage without any foreign players?" Well, they have a much better basketball system and the CBA has more money to entice NBA level players to come over and play, and the locals only get better out of it.

The PBA may not have the money to pull NBA level players over here to play, but what they can do is remove the freaking limits on the number of imports and the height floors. Dapat nga dalawa o tatlong imports with unlimited height para sa lahat ng team eh, like what China, Lebanon, Japan, and other Asian leagues are doing.
      The PBA and the locals should allow a few PBA teams to be all FIL AMS, FIBA Ineligibles, or all American along w/ no height limit. Just have two MVP teams, 2 SMC Teams, Rain or Shine, Alaska vs these three new teams. If the locals want $, then prove it by beating the competition. Filter out the players who are just local level and promote world caliber players.

I'm all for locals but they should earn their keep. I like JF and Scottie but they didn't outperform their teams import for the FINALS MVP. Awards should be for everyone but only give it to the best players.

Comment

• Originally posted by anon9000 View Post
        The PBA and the locals should allow a few PBA teams to be all FIL AMS, FIBA Ineligibles, or all American along w/ no height limit. Just have two MVP teams, 2 SMC Teams, Rain or Shine, Alaska vs these three new teams. If the locals want $, then prove it by beating the competition. Filter out the players who are just local level and promote world caliber players.

I'm all for locals but they should earn their keep. I like JF and Scottie but they didn't outperform their teams import for the FINALS MVP. Awards should be for everyone but only give it to the best players.
        Yeah.

Masyadong takot ang pba.

Pag Magaling ang Player. Magaling talaga.

No matter how many Filams you add.

JMF proved that he can dominate FIL- FOREIGN Centers like Greg and Mo and Thoss, and old Asi, etc

WE SHOULD TRUST OUR LOCAL PLAYERS.

I believe they can compete with Filams/Filforeigns.

This will show who among our local players are quality basketball players.

AND ALSO PLEASE MAKE ALL ELIGIBLE FIL FOREIGN PLAYERS EXEMPTED FROM THE FIL FOREIGN LIMIT.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
          Yeah.

Masyadong takot ang pba.

Pag Magaling ang Player. Magaling talaga.

No matter how many Filams you add.

JMF proved that he can dominate FIL- FOREIGN Centers like Greg and Mo and Thoss, and old Asi, etc

WE SHOULD TRUST OUR LOCAL PLAYERS.

I believe they can compete with Filams/Filforeigns.

This will show who among our local players are quality basketball players.

AND ALSO PLEASE MAKE ALL ELIGIBLE FIL FOREIGN PLAYERS EXEMPTED FROM THE FIL FOREIGN LIMIT.
          They are afraid their guys will get exposed but if the players are COMPETITORS, it should a light a fire under them. We know Romeo, JF, and Abeuva are alphas. Stop protecting them and bringing them down. Let them face NBA sized players and get their reps. Then conquer them. The entire point of hiring foreigners is to ultimately use them to enhance and put your local talent over. PBA would really make the massa comeback if they know, JF is the undisputed best player in the league.

I think there should be an all local team with all the top Pinoy bigs going up against the top FILAM and foreigner and imports. Let JF, Jap, Alamazan, and Erram start and back each other up to fight off against Blatche and Douthit. Let them actually learn to play with big pinoys to go up against big foreigners or naturalized players on a constant basis.

This also helps the league as bigs like Samigue, Rabeh, Deguzman would have had more time to develop to counter against legit bigmen instead of washing out from the PBA as result of talent hoarding.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfrancis View Post
            Can all agree that Paras and Oftana should play as a wing? Both are much mobile than Tamayo and Balti. But many are pushing them to play as small ball 4.
            Not exactly. I recall only analyzed argued Oftana as Gilas’ small ball 4 and it understandably drew a lot of resistance. As for Kobe, the consensus was he should be a 3 that could moonlight as small ball 4 when the matchups allow it. Only a couple of posters argue that he is not skilled enough to be a 3.

Seeing Tab’s seemingly bottomless optimism about our players’ capability of playing one or two positions down (he used to tag Kobe and Troy as future guards come 2023), I am convinced he’d try to develop Oftana and Kobe as 2s more than he’d try them as 4s. That of course hinges on the availability of bigs to shore up the frontline. I am actually a bit embarrassed because I am more of a skeptic compared to that bald foreign coach about our very own players’ capabilities, like Balti and Carl playing as small forwards. But hey, I’m sure I’m not alone in this regard.

I concur with the posters saying this should be the trend moving forward. But I am sure Tab would shift gears if or when that kind of unit gets exposed in the higher level of competition. Eager to see how that makeup would fare against speedier teams like Italy, Russia and Argentina.
            Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
              The PBA may not have the money to pull NBA level players over here to play, but what they can do is remove the freaking limits on the number of imports and the height floors. Dapat nga dalawa o tatlong imports with unlimited height para sa lahat ng team eh, like what China, Lebanon, Japan, and other Asian leagues are doing.
              thou i theoretically agree, not all the teams would be able to afford 2 or 3 imports for 2 conferences per year. same imbalance we have now will remain.
              i still believe we let PBA as is, but do not let them have any say with regards to the National team. then those got drafted via Gilas can(not should, so this is negotiable) play for their PBA teams only if there are no international games for that conference. if a conference will hit an international tournament, automatic that player cant play(or be paid for that conference alone) so he can focus on the national team.
              PBA, aside from giving entertainment via basketball to the Pinoy population, is league so Pinoy's can earn their keep. we keep it that way but do not let them have any influence on the national team.
              WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
              SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by trig View Post
                any news on eli ramos? is he eligible? does he have gilas potential?
                he is our next Dwight. but his game is not as polished as Dwight. needs more time to develop.
                The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                  he is our next Dwight. but his game is not as polished as Dwight. needs more time to develop.
                  Eli is smaller and unlike Dwight has a flawed stroke, he is not allowed to shoot in practice , until his shot form is corrected.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
                    Let's contextualize this a bit.

1. I'd take that availability or lack thereof in the 2nd window as due to the pandemic. The fact that most leagues, the B.League included, provide for a break only two weeks or so to prepare for the windows, plus the 14-day restrictions we have, mean that naturally he's gonna be unavailable for the 2nd window.

2. For this window, he's injured.

3. He's unavailable for windows. The availability I was speaking of was that for the main tournament, and the availability for the whole prep time needed for that tournament, which the PBA doesn't provide (e.g. the barely 2 weeks of preparation given to Gilas before the 2021 WC), but most other leagues do.
                    Originally posted by zairex View Post
                    1. I would agree with you but Japan NT is here which includes players who played in B. League playoffs.

2. I didn't read anything about this. Coach Tab said that Thirdy has commitments in Japan until end of May. Remember his last game was in April.

3. I despise PBA for their commitment with our NT. But it might be the same with other leagues if players will asked to rest rather than play for our NT on main tournaments. B. League and PBA gives 2 weeks of prep time for qualifiers. PBA even has once a week practice for NT players every Monday or Tuesday during the season but even this is not enough for our NT prep.

Here's my take: Thirdy, most likely (I say around 95%) would be available for the August tournament (2021 FIBA Asia Cup) becoz the B-league (just like all the other premier pro leagues all over the world) is in its off season.

Now, I ask, would that be the same case as current PBA players Kiefer, Pogoy, Rosario, Perez, Matt Wright?

Yun yung point na palagi kong pino point out. That PBA season is very much alive during the months of July, August, September - period when FIBA tournaments & other international tourneys are held. On the other hand, all other the premier pro leagues in the world (including the NBA) are in the off season during this period.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

i think Chris Koon is more similar to Dwight in terms of size & skillset so hopefully Koon can be recognized as a local

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                        Eli is smaller and unlike Dwight has a flawed stroke, he is not allowed to shoot in practice , until his shot form is corrected.
                        Grabe naman kahit sa practice lang not allowed to shoot. That gives us the indication how much flawed Eli's shooting is.
                        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by shamuibilog View Post
                          Hopefully Tab can get this guy to be a Gilas cadet soon. Kaso, parang Lasalista 'to.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                            how old is he? he can be a smaller version of dwight? hope he can correct his shot form soon.
                            The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by carmelo7 View Post
                              i think Chris Koon is more similar to Dwight in terms of size & skillset so hopefully Koon can be recognized as a local
                              by the way. is koon eligible for gilas?

Comment

by the way. is koon eligible for gilas?
                                I think he got his passport a few months after his 16th bday so he may be applied for an exemption in the future after spending a few years w/ Ateneo. 6'5ish w/ legit point guard skills, Koon,Dwight, Tuffin,Thirdy & Clarkson my very well be our backcourt rotation for 2023

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information