Page 308 of 315 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310 ... LastLast
Results 6,141 to 6,160 of 6283

Thread: Philippines Cadet/Developmental Team

Quote Originally Posted by NOiNU View Post
    Yup, noticed that too. Now it's time to rip those muscles. He still has untapped potential thanks to those excess baggage. Even if he would not be able to become a bonafide wing, at 6' 7" it's not bad if he becomes a mobile stretch 4.
    A 6-foot-7 "four" would be a height upgrade considering that we used to have 6-foot-4 (Pingris), 6-foot-5 (RDO, Kerby Raymundo, Kelly Williams), 6-foot-6 (Erick Menk) "fours" in the National team in the past 15 years or so. Japeth Aguilar at 6-foot-8/6-foot-9 may have been a very good size "four", but we are aware of Japeth's glaring shortcomings in his game.

I would like to be patient with our height upgrade. I think its close to stupidity to expect 6-foot-5 shooting guards becoming more common in Phi basketball, small forwards becoming 6-foot-7/6-foot-8, point guards becoming 6-foot-2/6-foot-3, anytime soon. Its not going to happen any sooner. It will really take years before we can match the likes of China, Australia, height for height.

What's good is that we are "growing" so to speak. Having a legit 7-foot-2 center in our senior's National team a few years from now would be unprecedented. Likewise having a 6-foot-10 natural "four" (AJ Edu) with exceptional agility, athleticism & toughness, would be something that Phi basketball has never seen before.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Yup, noticed that too. Now it's time to rip those muscles. He still has untapped potential thanks to those excess baggage. Even if he would not be able to become a bonafide wing, at 6' 7" it's not bad if he becomes a mobile stretch 4.
    Yep he looks about 6'8 or 6'9 in shoes which is not bad at all for a stretch 4.

I think they doing justine baltazar on him although leg strenthening is a concern for carl...petiks nga siya maglaro in hs dito lang sa championship game.siya nag 5th gear
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

I think that the SBP can put some of the younger Gilas cadets in the Mighty Sports line up from time to time especially when they go to international invitations like Jones Cup and Dubai invitafions. I think this is a good way to get some international exposure/experience before putting them in more serious competitions like FIBA Asia or FIBA World Cup

https://twitter.com/hoopnut/status/1244586776225697792

The list of players who were on the team vs not in 2014

Jollo Go
    Matt Nieto
    Diego Dario
    Mike Nieto
    Renzo Navarro
    Arnie Padilla
    Jolo Mendoza
    Mikel Panlilio
    Mike Dela Cruz
    Carlo Abadeza
    Richard Escoto
    Paul Desiderio

Some key players born 1997-1998 who skipped the 2014 FIBA U17 World Cup for various reasons:
    - Kobe Paras (played in 2014 FIBA U18 Asia)
    - Mark Dyke (played in 2014 FIBA U18 Asia)
    - Wendel Comboy (cut)
    - Ricci Rivero (not released)
    - JV Gallego (not released)
    - Kemark Cariņo (not part of the pool)
    - Josh Sinclair (not part of the pool)
    - Fran Yu (not part of the pool)
    - Javi GDL (not part of the pool)
    - Jaydee Tungcab (not part of the pool)
    *Thirdy Ravena was born "too old" by 14 days to be eligible
    Tyler Tio, who was born in 1998 but was ineligible at that time due to citizenship concerns (he had a Canada passport)

Personally I think the skipped players team would have wrecked the actualy world cup team

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodster21 View Post

Some key players born 1997-1998 who skipped the 2014 FIBA U17 World Cup for various reasons:
    -

Personally I think the skipped players team would have wrecked the actualy world cup team
    I think this has and always be the case , select players who are most available for practice.. Obviosuly any coach would prefer better talent, but if they're not available to prepare with the team ( either due to logistically not possible) or simply not available for a prolonged period ( e.g can only practicce 2 weeks prior) then a coach has no choice but to go with the players who practice and have prepared with the team
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Jollo Go
    Matt Nieto
    Diego Dario
    Mike Nieto
    Renzo Navarro
    Arnie Padilla
    Jolo Mendoza
    Mikel Panlilio
    Mike Dela Cruz
    Carlo Abadeza
    Richard Escoto
    Paul Desiderio

- Wendel Comboy (cut)
    Tyler Tio, who was born in 1998 but was ineligible at that time due to citizenship concerns (he had a Canada passport)

Also some fil-foreigners like Dwight Ramos, Ken Tuffin, Remy Martin.

looking back at our 2011 lineup for the Fiba-Asia Cup. What adjustments could have we made?

If possible I would have preferred this lineup: You get this guys to play for Gilas during this time, they would not be having eligibility problems in the coming FIBA games (Marcio Lassiter/Chris Lutz exemption rule)

Jordan Clarkson, 18 years old (2011), 6’5 (G/F), (Freshman College)Tulsa --to replace--> Mac Baracael 6'3 - challenge would be JC's availability but I think he could practice with the team in less than a month. JC's downside is inexperience but his youth,energy,skills and athleticism will be a breath of fresh air for the old folks. anticipated match up against China's Sun Yue, Korea's TJ Moon and Jordan's Rashiem Wright. He would have been scoring at least 16-18 points a game if given a reasonable playing time.

Stanley Pringle , 24, years old (2011), 6’1(G), Siarka Tarnobrzeg (Polish League) --to replace--> Mark Barroca 5'8 - Problem is Pringle's TF at this time. Breaking Kamrani's ankle would have been very fun to watch. Might be one of the team's top scorers, I don't see him having problems playing with the other players and struggling against the competition. At this time, he plays like an American import.

Christian Standhardinger, 6’8 (F/C), 21 years old (2011), (sophomore year) Nebraska --to replace--> Chris Tiu 5'11 - eligibility would be a problem.If he was eligible and available during this time, Toroman's favorite player should go for the lack of height.will be matched up against Korea's Oh Sekeun , Iran's Arsalan Kazemi and China's Yi Jian Lian. A very reasonable role player, might be even playing at the starting lineup for some games.

Jason Castro, 5'9 (PG) , 24 years old, Talk n' Text --to replace--> JV Casio. This will be a gamble since Castro is not a shooter at this time but we could compensate with Jimmy and Stanley. Would have trouble producing numbers with Pringle and Alapag, but I don't think he will mind sharing his minutes. We all know he is way better than Casio and Barroca.

Maurice Shaw, 6’10 (C) , 24 years old (2011), hiatus -> Asi Taulava 6'9 --to replace--> Asi was contributor despite his age and his limited playing time.My mind says it is a toss up between him and Japeth.This guy i think is available, I just hope we wasn't into doping or any type of drugs during this time. No problems with eligibility, but I wonder how could have he performed as Douthit's back up. Matched up against China's Wang Zhizhi will be his rough task. 8 points a game and at least 10 rebounds will be good enough.I think with his size and athleticism, he may also score double-double in a game but Douthit's numbers and minutes will surely come down if he had a very good showing.

I don't know if we could have won the gold with this lineup but I think the most feasible ranking for us here is at least 2nd place, beating the Koreans , the Jordanians and heck maybe even the Iranians, the Chinese will be fairly difficult to beat in a home court setting but it is very much possible.

JMF and Paul Lee would have been very good additions but we all know they are not available (not released) in 2011, but with this lineup,we i don't mind if they're not available. Clarkson-Pringle-Castro-Alapag will be one of the best Point guard rotation of all time.

lineup would have been:

Douthit 6'11-tournament average: 21.9 ppg, 12.2 rpg
    Aguilar 6'9 -tournament average: 6.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg
    Lutz 6'4 (G/F) -tournament average: 3.3 appg., 1.7 rpg
    Lassiter 6'3 -tournament average: 8.3 ppg., 4.8 rpg.
    Pringle 6'1

Shaw 6'10
    Standhardinger 6'8
    Kelly Williams 6'6 (SF/PF) -tournament average: 5.4 ppg.,4.7 rpg., 1.2 apg.
    Clarkson 6'5 (SG/SF/PG)
    Alapag 5'9 -tournament average: 7.9 ppg., 2.1 rpg., 2.8 apg.

De Ocampo 6'6 -tournament average:7.6 ppg. 3.8 rpg., 1.4 apg.
    Jason Castro 5'9

other players worth mentioning and probably playing college ball during this time:

Moala Tautuaa
    Chris Ross

source: https://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/f...hip/index.html
    Last edited by Alex07; 04-09-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Jollo Go
    Matt Nieto
    Diego Dario
    Mike Nieto
    Renzo Navarro
    Arnie Padilla
    Jolo Mendoza
    Mikel Panlilio
    Mike Dela Cruz
    Carlo Abadeza
    Richard Escoto
    Paul Desiderio

- Wendel Comboy (cut)

You missed out on Matt Aquino too. I remember mock lineup was:
    PG:Matt Nieto 5’10/Diego Dario 5’6
    SG:Jolo Mendoza 5’8/Jollo Go 6’0
    SF:Kobe Paras 6’4/Paul Desiderio 5’11/Ken Tuffin 6’4
    PF:Mike Nieto 6’1/Mark Dyke 6’3
    C:Richard Escoto 6’3/Matt Aquino 6’7/Carlo Abadeza 6’4

SBP should make some sort of a deal with hoopx they’ve been scouting underrated interbarangay and high school players from different provinces.

after this covid, I hope we will see Gilas team vs the U-22/UU-23 team. Pasok pa kaya si Kobe?
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Quote Originally Posted by curtaincall View Post

SBP should make some sort of a deal with hoopx they’ve been scouting underrated interbarangay and high school players from different provinces.
    Ive been watching their videos past couple of weeks. A lot of real good and freakishly interesting prospects. A 6foot point guard in the province with crazy athleticism?! Usually they would be centers. After the COVID-19 pandemic this is a good time to reboot Chot’s Nike Rise program. Maybe a UAAP/NCAA all star (metro manila home grown) vs north luzon, south luzon, east visayas, west visayas and Mindanao.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post
    after this covid, I hope we will see Gilas team vs the U-22/UU-23 team. Pasok pa kaya si Kobe?
    That would be a good idea.
    Cadets
    PG: Juan Gomez de Liano/Matt Nieto/Rey Suerte
    SG: Thirdy Ravena/Rhenz Abando/Ricci Rivero
    SF: Kobe Paras/Dwight Ramos
    PF: AJ Edu/Isaac Go/Justine Baltazar
    C: Ange Kouame/Kai Sotto

Gilas
    PG: Jayson Castro/Terrence Romeo
    SG: CJ Perez/RR Pogoy
    SF: Justin Brownlee/Ray Parks Jr./Mac Belo
    PF: Japeth Aguilar/Troy Rosario
    C: June Mar Fajardo/Poy Erram/Raymond Almazan

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyz View Post
    Ive been watching their videos past couple of weeks. A lot of real good and freakishly interesting prospects. A 6foot point guard in the province with crazy athleticism?! Usually they would be centers. After the COVID-19 pandemic this is a good time to reboot Chot’s Nike Rise program. Maybe a UAAP/NCAA all star (metro manila home grown) vs north luzon, south luzon, east visayas, west visayas and Mindanao.

looking back at our 2011 lineup for the Fiba-Asia Cup. What adjustments could have we made?

If possible I would have preferred this lineup: You get this guys to play for Gilas during this time, they would not be having eligibility problems in the coming FIBA games (Marcio Lassiter/Chris Lutz exemption rule)

Jordan Clarkson, 18 years old (2011), 6’5 (G/F), (Freshman College)Tulsa --to replace--> Mac Baracael 6'3 - challenge would be JC's availability but I think he could practice with the team in less than a month. JC's downside is inexperience but his youth,energy,skills and athleticism will be a breath of fresh air for the old folks. anticipated match up against China's Sun Yue, Korea's TJ Moon and Jordan's Rashiem Wright. He would have been scoring at least 16-18 points a game if given a reasonable playing time.

Stanley Pringle , 24, years old (2011), 6’1(G), Siarka Tarnobrzeg (Polish League) --to replace--> Mark Barroca 5'8 - Problem is Pringle's TF at this time. Breaking Kamrani's ankle would have been very fun to watch. Might be one of the team's top scorers, I don't see him having problems playing with the other players and struggling against the competition. At this time, he plays like an American import.

Christian Standhardinger, 6’8 (F/C), 21 years old (2011), (sophomore year) Nebraska --to replace--> Chris Tiu 5'11 - eligibility would be a problem.If he was eligible and available during this time, Toroman's favorite player should go for the lack of height.will be matched up against Korea's Oh Sekeun , Iran's Arsalan Kazemi and China's Yi Jian Lian. A very reasonable role player, might be even playing at the starting lineup for some games.

Jason Castro, 5'9 (PG) , 24 years old, Talk n' Text --to replace--> JV Casio. This will be a gamble since Castro is not a shooter at this time but we could compensate with Jimmy and Stanley. Would have trouble producing numbers with Pringle and Alapag, but I don't think he will mind sharing his minutes. We all know he is way better than Casio and Barroca.

Maurice Shaw, 6’10 (C) , 24 years old (2011), hiatus -> Asi Taulava 6'9 --to replace--> Asi was contributor despite his age and his limited playing time.My mind says it is a toss up between him and Japeth.This guy i think is available, I just hope we wasn't into doping or any type of drugs during this time. No problems with eligibility, but I wonder how could have he performed as Douthit's back up. Matched up against China's Wang Zhizhi will be his rough task. 8 points a game and at least 10 rebounds will be good enough.I think with his size and athleticism, he may also score double-double in a game but Douthit's numbers and minutes will surely come down if he had a very good showing.

I don't know if we could have won the gold with this lineup but I think the most feasible ranking for us here is at least 2nd place, beating the Koreans , the Jordanians and heck maybe even the Iranians, the Chinese will be fairly difficult to beat in a home court setting but it is very much possible.

JMF and Paul Lee would have been very good additions but we all know they are not available (not released) in 2011, but with this lineup,we i don't mind if they're not available. Clarkson-Pringle-Castro-Alapag will be one of the best Point guard rotation of all time.

lineup would have been:

Douthit 6'11-tournament average: 21.9 ppg, 12.2 rpg
    Aguilar 6'9 -tournament average: 6.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg
    Lutz 6'4 (G/F) -tournament average: 3.3 appg., 1.7 rpg
    Lassiter 6'3 -tournament average: 8.3 ppg., 4.8 rpg.
    Pringle 6'1

Shaw 6'10
    Standhardinger 6'8
    Kelly Williams 6'6 (SF/PF) -tournament average: 5.4 ppg.,4.7 rpg., 1.2 apg.
    Clarkson 6'5 (SG/SF/PG)
    Alapag 5'9 -tournament average: 7.9 ppg., 2.1 rpg., 2.8 apg.

De Ocampo 6'6 -tournament average:7.6 ppg. 3.8 rpg., 1.4 apg.
    Jason Castro 5'9

other players worth mentioning and probably playing college ball during this time:

Moala Tautuaa
    Chris Ross

source: https://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/f...hip/index.html
    i would say sayang talaga the what ifs jordan ,christian , ross ,stanley plus mo could have been a solid 5 in asia at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by deviant View Post
    i would say sayang talaga the what ifs jordan ,christian , ross ,stanley plus mo could have been a solid 5 in asia at that time.
    If Pringle was available for the NT during the 2011 and 2013, Castro might not be used as much or would somehow affect his playing time.Afaik Pringle could already shoot three's during that time but I think he experienced an injury later on his career. If I was a time traveller I would really suggest to take in Jordan Clarkson's name in the roster. Kahit di sumipot, he'll be in that final lineup. That's for him to be exempted from the eligibility rules later on. It would have been nice if he was the one wo played instead of Lutz who would be later be inactive in basketball. Christian might have issues since I think he played for another country during his youth stint. Ross was not really good offensively during that time and like Castro does not have a very good percentage on his outside shots. Mo,i think would be the Japeth Aguilar that everyone has prayed for, although a bit shorter, he likes the physicality of the game which Japeth does not welcome so much, and Mo I think has a more impressive physique during that time and is a pretty good athletic big as well. If Mo was in the SBP's radar as early as 2010, I think the would be sharing the same hype as Fajardo and Slaughter. Ateneo would have been very interested on him as well.Imagine a Slaughter,Tautuaa,Chua and Erram on the Ateneo frontline.
    Last edited by Alex07; 04-19-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Must pay attention to Gilas under 19 that beats China and Australia,that's the line up that has a big potential defeating other basketball nations in FIBA.

Quote Originally Posted by allan_373 View Post
    Must pay attention to Gilas under 19 that beats China and Australia,that's the line up that has a big potential defeating other basketball nations in FIBA.
    they need to get that newbie Sage Tolentino for the future,having that kind of player with that height and skill is a rarity.It happens usually only every 15 years.

they need to get that newbie Sage Tolentino for the future,having that kind of player with that height and skill is a rarity.It happens usually only every 15 years.
    Sage already turned 16. And I doubt He was able to got a passport.

I believe if he already got it, they will release it to media. Just like when Edu got his. It is reported immediately to and from the media.

Any update about Raven Cortez and Ethan Kirkness?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 308 of 315 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310 ... LastLast