Page 460 of 472 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462470 ... LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,200 of 9434

Thread: Philippines Cadet/Developmental Team

Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    1. I would agree with you but Japan NT is here which includes players who played in B. League playoffs.

2. I didn't read anything about this. Coach Tab said that Thirdy has commitments in Japan until end of May. Remember his last game was in April.

3. I despise PBA for their commitment with our NT. But it might be the same with other leagues if players will asked to rest rather than play for our NT on main tournaments. B. League and PBA gives 2 weeks of prep time for qualifiers. PBA even has once a week practice for NT players every Monday or Tuesday during the season but even this is not enough for our NT prep.
    The injury came in late April. And, knee injuries can take a lot of time to heal from. I dunno the status when I said no. 2, it was more like a guess, since, ayun na nga, he has a knee injury.

Quote Originally Posted by DAdmiral View Post
    I'm wondering why is it only now, that two 6'8 players are playing SF? Why didn't any coach try and invest in it before?
    Additionally 1st time I've seen a 6'5 player really play guard for Gilas
    https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/b...ade-oqt/211247
    I feel this is a rhetorical question, since you've made this point a lot of times, but I'll try to answer.

Like you said, sir, 6'8" players are often the tallest guys on the floor. Kouame might have helped greatly in helping Baltazar's and Tamayo's development as wings. Baltazar and Tamayo's lateral quickness was quite good, actually.

I hope this can become a general rule in Philippine basketball.

To be fair Tab has the luxury of two 7 footers and two 6, 9ish bigs to be able to afford to play his two 6'8 versatile bigs as SFs.
    Having said that there really is a difference in Tab's perspective with local coaches, when local coaches talk to me about Mason Amos they envision him as a big for their team. But Tab repeatedly tells me Mason should train as a wing , so perspective is really difference

Moral of the story.

Commercial and school teams should think beyond their need to win their respective local leagues, but have a perspective beyond their team winning but for Gilas in FIBA
    Last edited by DAdmiral; 06-19-2021 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    I feel this is a rhetorical question, since you've made this point a lot of times, but I'll try to answer.

Like you said, sir, 6'8" players are often the tallest guys on the floor. Kouame might have helped greatly in helping Baltazar's and Tamayo's development as wings. Baltazar and Tamayo's lateral quickness was quite good, actually.

I hope this can become a general rule in Philippine basketball.
    Only the well funded schools can attract decent 6'6 and above locals. Most have to recruit FSAs to fill in those positions. Which is why I'm against the banning of foreigners in the NCAA. We're going to see the return of 6'3 centers, 5'10 sfs again and 6'6 lampayatots

Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Only the well funded schools can attract decent 6'6 and above locals. Most have to recruit FSAs to fill in those positions. Which is why I'm against the banning of foreigners in the NCAA. We're going to see the return of 6'3 centers, 5'10 sfs again and 6'6 lampayatots
    And to top it all off, a lot of schools turn their 6'6" players into backup centers instead of experimenting with those 6'6"-6'8" players as PFs (whether traditional or small-ball) early in the season. Sayang naman.

Frankly, this is partly why we'll need at least one tall foreigner, simula pa lang sa HS leagues. We can at least force the taller local players to play the PF at the most.

These days anyway most teams play 4 out .. so really all players below 6'9 should be playing the non center spot or non big man.. play with 4 perimeter players regardless of height

I watch this show on Pinoy flix. My Favourite Team Won.

These days anyway most teams play 4 out .. so really all players below 6'9 should be playing the non center spot or non big man.. play with 4 perimeter players regardless of height
    Basically saying that the only players who have the rights to play as a traditional/modern postup/mobile Bigs are

6'10 and above.

Seeing Tamayo and Balti being successful at Wings, I kinda agree with this

Though, We can't deny the fact that the only reason they can play on those positions is because Kai, Ange, Isaac and Geo are in the Pool.

Last Window, when Gilas Lack Bigs. Coach tab forced to use Kobe as a traditional PF, and Balti at Center

Ayun. We did relatively well for the FIBA Asia qualifiers, using mostly amateurs. I hope we use mostly cadets for the WC qualifiers (while retaining some key pieces of the current senior team), especially given our automatic qualification. We have 12 games, so that's a lot of time to develop the next batch of cadets.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Basically saying that the only players who have the rights to play as a traditional/modern postup/mobile Bigs are

6'10 and above.

Though, We can't deny the fact that the only reason they can play on those positions is because Kai, Ange, Isaac and Geo are in the Pool.

Last Window, when Gilas Lack Bigs. Coach tab forced to use Kobe as a traditional PF, and Balti at Center
    below 6' 9 means 6' 8 ., if the 6' 8 player is decently mobile (not Geo) then on offense you still play him out in the perimeter.. so 5 out if a must. . of course in defense u need a rim protector , so your best rim protector needs to man the paint.

Now if for some reason there really is no available 6' 8 and above players for each team, for development sake the league should really welcome foreign players to play center. the principle is simple. the job description for the job is required 6' 8 and above , if no local can fill it , then sorry you have to hire a foreigner to do it.

any news on eli ramos? is he eligible? does he have gilas potential?

below 6' 9 means 6' 8 ., if the 6' 8 player is decently mobile (not Geo) then on offense you still play him out in the perimeter.. so 5 out if a must. . of course in defense u need a rim protector , so your best rim protector needs to man the paint.

Now if for some reason there really is no available 6' 8 and above players for each team, for development sake the league should really welcome foreign players to play center. the principle is simple. the job description for the job is required 6' 8 and above , if no local can fill it , then sorry you have to hire a foreigner to do it.
    The problem is, the average Pinoy basketball fan is allergic to Fil-Fors and PH basketball in general (players, coaches, and fans) is very insular and protectionist. So local players and coaches don't want foreigners taking away their jobs? Then GIT GUD SCRUBS. That's how the game of basketball improves everywhere, by increasing the level of competition. Like sharpens like.

Does the PBA not know that revenue will be better in the long run if the level of competition is higher? The better our NT and pro league perform internationally, the more likely that better players will be coming over here to play, hindi yung puro latak na lang nakukuha natin because of the height restrictions and allowing only one import.

People look at China and be like, "Why are they dominating in Asia and are competitive in the world stage without any foreign players?" Well, they have a much better basketball system and the CBA has more money to entice NBA level players to come over and play, and the locals only get better out of it.

The PBA may not have the money to pull NBA level players over here to play, but what they can do is remove the freaking limits on the number of imports and the height ceiling. Dapat nga dalawa o tatlong imports with unlimited height para sa lahat ng team eh, like what China, Lebanon, Japan, and other Asian leagues are doing.
    Last edited by judasmartel; 06-23-2021 at 04:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

6'10 and above.

Can all agree that Paras and Oftana should play as a wing? Both are much mobile than Tamayo and Balti. But many are pushing them to play as small ball 4.

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    The problem is, the average Pinoy basketball fan is allergic to Fil-Fors and PH basketball in general (players, coaches, and fans) is very insular and protectionist. So local players and coaches don't want foreigners taking away their jobs? Then GIT GUD SCRUBS. That's how the game of basketball improves everywhere, by increasing the level of competition. Like sharpens like.

Does the PBA not know that revenue will be better in the long run if the level of competition is higher? The better our NT and pro league perform internationally, the more likely that better players will be coming over here to play, hindi yung puro latak na lang nakukuha natin because of the height restrictions and allowing only one import.

People look at China and be like, "Why are they dominating in Asia and are competitive in the world stage without any foreign players?" Well, they have a much better basketball system and the CBA has more money to entice NBA level players to come over and play, and the locals only get better out of it.

The PBA may not have the money to pull NBA level players over here to play, but what they can do is remove the freaking limits on the number of imports and the height floors. Dapat nga dalawa o tatlong imports with unlimited height para sa lahat ng team eh, like what China, Lebanon, Japan, and other Asian leagues are doing.
    The PBA and the locals should allow a few PBA teams to be all FIL AMS, FIBA Ineligibles, or all American along w/ no height limit. Just have two MVP teams, 2 SMC Teams, Rain or Shine, Alaska vs these three new teams. If the locals want $, then prove it by beating the competition. Filter out the players who are just local level and promote world caliber players.

I'm all for locals but they should earn their keep. I like JF and Scottie but they didn't outperform their teams import for the FINALS MVP. Awards should be for everyone but only give it to the best players.

Quote Originally Posted by anon9000 View Post
    The PBA and the locals should allow a few PBA teams to be all FIL AMS, FIBA Ineligibles, or all American along w/ no height limit. Just have two MVP teams, 2 SMC Teams, Rain or Shine, Alaska vs these three new teams. If the locals want $, then prove it by beating the competition. Filter out the players who are just local level and promote world caliber players.

I'm all for locals but they should earn their keep. I like JF and Scottie but they didn't outperform their teams import for the FINALS MVP. Awards should be for everyone but only give it to the best players.
    Yeah.

Masyadong takot ang pba.

Pag Magaling ang Player. Magaling talaga.

No matter how many Filams you add.

JMF proved that he can dominate FIL- FOREIGN Centers like Greg and Mo and Thoss, and old Asi, etc

WE SHOULD TRUST OUR LOCAL PLAYERS.

I believe they can compete with Filams/Filforeigns.

This will show who among our local players are quality basketball players.

AND ALSO PLEASE MAKE ALL ELIGIBLE FIL FOREIGN PLAYERS EXEMPTED FROM THE FIL FOREIGN LIMIT.

Yeah.

Masyadong takot ang pba.

Pag Magaling ang Player. Magaling talaga.

No matter how many Filams you add.

JMF proved that he can dominate FIL- FOREIGN Centers like Greg and Mo and Thoss, and old Asi, etc

WE SHOULD TRUST OUR LOCAL PLAYERS.

I believe they can compete with Filams/Filforeigns.

This will show who among our local players are quality basketball players.

AND ALSO PLEASE MAKE ALL ELIGIBLE FIL FOREIGN PLAYERS EXEMPTED FROM THE FIL FOREIGN LIMIT.
    They are afraid their guys will get exposed but if the players are COMPETITORS, it should a light a fire under them. We know Romeo, JF, and Abeuva are alphas. Stop protecting them and bringing them down. Let them face NBA sized players and get their reps. Then conquer them. The entire point of hiring foreigners is to ultimately use them to enhance and put your local talent over. PBA would really make the massa comeback if they know, JF is the undisputed best player in the league.

I think there should be an all local team with all the top Pinoy bigs going up against the top FILAM and foreigner and imports. Let JF, Jap, Alamazan, and Erram start and back each other up to fight off against Blatche and Douthit. Let them actually learn to play with big pinoys to go up against big foreigners or naturalized players on a constant basis.

This also helps the league as bigs like Samigue, Rabeh, Deguzman would have had more time to develop to counter against legit bigmen instead of washing out from the PBA as result of talent hoarding.

Quote Originally Posted by alfrancis View Post
    Can all agree that Paras and Oftana should play as a wing? Both are much mobile than Tamayo and Balti. But many are pushing them to play as small ball 4.
    Not exactly. I recall only analyzed argued Oftana as Gilas’ small ball 4 and it understandably drew a lot of resistance. As for Kobe, the consensus was he should be a 3 that could moonlight as small ball 4 when the matchups allow it. Only a couple of posters argue that he is not skilled enough to be a 3.

Seeing Tab’s seemingly bottomless optimism about our players’ capability of playing one or two positions down (he used to tag Kobe and Troy as future guards come 2023), I am convinced he’d try to develop Oftana and Kobe as 2s more than he’d try them as 4s. That of course hinges on the availability of bigs to shore up the frontline. I am actually a bit embarrassed because I am more of a skeptic compared to that bald foreign coach about our very own players’ capabilities, like Balti and Carl playing as small forwards. But hey, I’m sure I’m not alone in this regard.

I concur with the posters saying this should be the trend moving forward. But I am sure Tab would shift gears if or when that kind of unit gets exposed in the higher level of competition. Eager to see how that makeup would fare against speedier teams like Italy, Russia and Argentina.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by IPC View Post
    Ayun. We did relatively well for the FIBA Asia qualifiers, using mostly amateurs. I hope we use mostly cadets for the WC qualifiers (while retaining some key pieces of the current senior team), especially given our automatic qualification. We have 12 games, so that's a lot of time to develop the next batch of cadets.
    We can send likes of Lopez, R. Cortez, Quiambao, etc... there, Even we can put Edu in windows that he will be in off season to knowing the system of coach Tab.. I would love Gilas to face some upcoming teams like Guam & KSA.. maiba naman...

Quote Originally Posted by anon9000 View Post
    They are afraid their guys will get exposed but if the players are COMPETITORS, it should a light a fire under them. We know Romeo, JF, and Abeuva are alphas. Stop protecting them and bringing them down. Let them face NBA sized players and get their reps. Then conquer them. The entire point of hiring foreigners is to ultimately use them to enhance and put your local talent over. PBA would really make the massa comeback if they know, JF is the undisputed best player in the league.

I think there should be an all local team with all the top Pinoy bigs going up against the top FILAM and foreigner and imports. Let JF, Jap, Alamazan, and Erram start and back each other up to fight off against Blatche and Douthit. Let them actually learn to play with big pinoys to go up against big foreigners or naturalized players on a constant basis.

This also helps the league as bigs like Samigue, Rabeh, Deguzman would have had more time to develop to counter against legit bigmen instead of washing out from the PBA as result of talent hoarding.
    I remember NLEX (or TNT) wants to bring Blatche here as import of commisioner's cup last 2019.. Aba, biglang kambyo si Kume at si Al Chua.. natakot na dominahain ni Blatche ang PBA.. That was the plan to bring Blatche here to be conditioned for upcoming WC but PBA didn't cooperate.. As long as Al Chua and Marcial still running the show in the league eh we still expect that the league will be always in chaos...

Quote Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
    The PBA may not have the money to pull NBA level players over here to play, but what they can do is remove the freaking limits on the number of imports and the height floors. Dapat nga dalawa o tatlong imports with unlimited height para sa lahat ng team eh, like what China, Lebanon, Japan, and other Asian leagues are doing.
    thou i theoretically agree, not all the teams would be able to afford 2 or 3 imports for 2 conferences per year. same imbalance we have now will remain.
    i still believe we let PBA as is, but do not let them have any say with regards to the National team. then those got drafted via Gilas can(not should, so this is negotiable) play for their PBA teams only if there are no international games for that conference. if a conference will hit an international tournament, automatic that player cant play(or be paid for that conference alone) so he can focus on the national team.
    PBA, aside from giving entertainment via basketball to the Pinoy population, is league so Pinoy's can earn their keep. we keep it that way but do not let them have any influence on the national team.
    WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
    SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Page 460 of 472 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462470 ... LastLast