This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
    While the PBA which is professionalised and especially with imports is a higher level , in my assessment the training development in the NZ NBL for this season is better and more appropriate for FIBA. players like Tuffin actually get minutes as a guard and face better overall length and size similar to FIBA
    I think 6-foot-5 swingmen are common in the NBL-New Zealand while in the PBA our swingmen are just in the 6-foot-2/6-foot-3 height range. NBL teams usually have 6-foot-3 & 6-foot-4 shooting guards while in the PBA most of our 2's are just 6-foot-flat or 6-foot-1.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• i think it all begins with a steady supply of 6-9 and up centers, then everyone else can move a position down. this is where the benefits of the multi-imports will be really felt and noticed. i wonder why teams with no ceiling like alaska, rain or shine, phoenix are not spearheading or even be in favor of this change.

i mean, kahit may hard-cap yung 2nd import makakuha lang ng tall guys who can play center.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        I think 6-foot-5 swingmen are common in the NBL-New Zealand while in the PBA our swingmen are just in the 6-foot-2/6-foot-3 height range. NBL teams usually have 6-foot-3 & 6-foot-4 shooting guards while in the PBA most of our 2's are just 6-foot-flat or 6-foot-1.
        this is one of the points, they are taller and probably as quick as our local guards, although I still regard the Aussie NBL teams at least twice a notch higher, I think the top Kiwi NBL teams are competitive enough to beat PBA teams (both teams having 2 imports) and maybe good enough to beat San Miguel (again both having two imports).
        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
          this is one of the points, they are taller and probably as quick as our local guards, although I still regard the Aussie NBL teams at least twice a notch higher, I think the top Kiwi NBL teams are competitive enough to beat PBA teams (both teams having 2 imports) and maybe good enough to beat San Miguel (again both having two imports).
          Well, this season, they have no foreign reinforcements due to COVID but in a normal day, they have 2 foreign players per team. PBA teams stand no chance against taller, physical, heftier, stronger and skilled NZNBL teams powered by 2 imports.
          Attack
          defend
          Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
            i think it all begins with a steady supply of 6-9 and up centers, then everyone else can move a position down. this is where the benefits of the multi-imports will be really felt and noticed. i wonder why teams with no ceiling like alaska, rain or shine, phoenix are not spearheading or even be in favor of this change.

i mean, kahit may hard-cap yung 2nd import makakuha lang ng tall guys who can play center.
            Magnolia hotshots seems to be defying the odds with their small to very small ball lineup,sometimes having 6'1 Lee, 5'10 Barroca and 5'10 Melton play on the floor at the same time. I think they have a good system with Chito Victolero as their coach.One of the local coaches that I think that is very tactical.Getting three very quick small guys that could shoot and play freely with two other players that are tall enough to get the offensive rebounds and score at the post from time to time. But I don't think this will work in an international basketball setting, although it works very well in the PBA.Funny thing is, even tough teams like Ginebra and San Miguel Beer are having problem with Magnolia.We are yet to see our big guards dominate the small guards of the opponents like they shouldn't be playing basketball.

I think Yeng Guiao tried this kind of basketball in the world cup having Bolick and Perez play together at the same time with Pogoy at the small forward but to no avail.The international basketball scene is full of skilled tall players and very tactical coaches specially in a world cup setting.Our tiny little life hacks wouldn't cut it.This is what Tab is trying to tell our local coaches.It is not as if our guards are the quickest people in the world, and this is not like Manny Pacquiao is to boxing. We could always get 6'9 guys but we have to stray away from very small ball mentality.Let's train our 6'3-6'4 guards to be very efficient.
            "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
              Magnolia hotshots seems to be defying the odds with their small to very small ball lineup,sometimes having 6'1 Lee, 5'10 Barroca and 5'10 Melton play on the floor at the same time. I think they have a good system with Chito Victolero as their coach.One of the local coaches that I think that is very tactical.Getting three very quick small guys that could shoot and play freely with two other players that are tall enough to get the offensive rebounds and score at the post from time to time. But I don't think this will work in an international basketball setting, although it works very well in the PBA.Funny thing is, even tough teams like Ginebra and San Miguel Beer are having problem with Magnolia.We are yet to see our big guards dominate the small guards of the opponents like they shouldn't be playing basketball.

I think Yeng Guiao tried this kind of basketball in the world cup having Bolick and Perez play together at the same time with Pogoy at the small forward but to no avail.The international basketball scene is full of skilled tall players and very tactical coaches specially in a world cup setting.Our tiny little life hacks wouldn't cut it.This is what Tab is trying to tell our local coaches.It is not as if our guards are the quickest people in the world, and this is not like Manny Pacquiao is to boxing. We could always get 6'9 guys but we have to stray away from very small ball mentality.Let's train our 6'3-6'4 guards to be very efficient.
              our big guards cannot dominate the small guards because the big guards are just not good enough, plain and simple. they are not good because they don't have enough competition as big guards. their supposed competition are all playing SF or even PF.

you can see great talent in our midget guards. why? because there is competition. andami nila e. i hope we can get same level of competition in other positions to improve talent level.

Comment

• Off Topic: Any news about this 6'4 Filipino Nigerian kid? I really hope this kid will be blessed by skills,height and proper mindset and at least make it to the PBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
                  our big guards cannot dominate the small guards because the big guards are just not good enough, plain and simple. they are not good because they don't have enough competition as big guards. their supposed competition are all playing SF or even PF.

you can see great talent in our midget guards. why? because there is competition. andami nila e. i hope we can get same level of competition in other positions to improve talent level.
                  hehe we are a country full of Julian Newman

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                    Well, this season, they have no foreign reinforcements due to COVID but in a normal day, they have 2 foreign players per team. PBA teams stand no chance against taller, physical, heftier, stronger and skilled NZNBL teams powered by 2 imports.
                    Here is the thing, when was the last time the PBA played with two imports
                    BTW the NZ NBL allows 3 imports it's just not obvious cause alot of times 1 or 2 of them are Australian

Note this year all the Australian NBL players under contract who are Kiwi (NZ. Citizens) skipped the season., too risky to risk losing your full season contract by getting injured in a 6 week tournament.

The question of level doesn't deserve an answer, if you really considered the facts.

The 6 week Covid adjusted tournament, isn't the normal NZ NBL, it is essentially a tournament for high school seniors up to recent college graduates limited to NZ, no imports, but even with that not based on experience but just youth talent the length of these prospects and natural mobility is Legit FIBA level size, 6'2 guards, 6'5,mobile wings (not pilit converted former big forwards like Troy or Arwind) and abundance of 6'8 and above bigs (at least 3 to 4 per team), the PBA all Filipino certainly does not have that kind of FIBA like dimensions
                    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                      Not familiar with that league but the leve of basketball seems to be low
                      I wouldn’t say that lol. NZ NBL’s normal season 2 imports, 1 Naturalized reinforced with Australians are a better league for sure than the PBA. But with this version of NZ NBL I’d say they are not low but the term would be ‘developmental’. This league is pretty much consisted of naturalized players, players with america/australia/europe experience, US NCAA players. Pretty much tall blacks members, youth team members and a couple of young free agents (also retiring lol). A lot of PBA teams will struggle against these teams.

Comment

I was just basing on that clip and another on which ive seen where the players aren't exceptionaly tall and didn't look athletic. Anyway, I noticed you have quite a sharp memory. I wouldnt have recounted such details myself. Well,good on ya
                        No my memory is bad, i cheated, i literally copied and pasted from my blog site - http://analyzedhoops.blogspot.com/20...n-1st-two.html

BTW one of the games that has hardly been reported on is the close door game between the Tall Blacks and Gilas in 2013, here is my report on it (i still have the score sheets) , it's actually quite significant because similar players from both sides played again in the 2016 OQT.

I believe this was  Gilas  2's best game since it was established, to be competitive vs the Tall Blacks even though they just  assembled 3  ...
                        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

They didn't play overtime? Anyway, it's good douthit was eventually replaced by blatche
                          Inside story, the game vs the Tall blacks was held at the end of the Tall Blacks camp pool members ( so they litterally did not have a team yet, they had around 20 pool member gathered for camp to be trimmed down later) , so Nenad Vucinic the head coach then proposed to me that we do 6 quarters ... so all his players get to play.. I l left it open for discussion, so when Gilas eventual completed all it's tune up NZ NBL games , and last game was vs Tall Black's I asked Chot , what does he think about playing 6 quarters, by this time the Gilas team was litterally dead tired ( played 5 games already over 8 or 9 days) . so i asked Nenad can we do 4 quarters like a normal game.. he agreed.. whew..

As we were preparing for FIbA Asia , Gilas really didn't care for any scouting of the TB's , but obviously wanted to have some idea of who they were facing., so Chot asked to do an instant scouting report LOL , and present it to the team.. Chot didn't even know Corey Webster was their main scorer, he thought it was Bartlet (who he played earlier) , sabi ko , no no have to watch Corey.. I told Gabe watch and mark Reuben Ti Rangi , who was 18 yrs old then and never heard (unknown) , another unknown was 17 yr old Jack Salt ( NCAA champion with Virginia)

So the game was really intense and competitive and getting physical. in last possesion Corey had the ball and referee called a dubious foul. TB's were basically bailed out of massive embarrment , do note the local press would have killed them if they lost to Gilas, cause they were preparing to play Australia in FIBA Oceania. it would be like , you guys don't have a chance

After the game ended, BBNZ the NZ fiba federation, talked to me, about releasing news of the close door game , because it would be an embarrassment reflection of the form of the Tall blacks. ( kaya pala ng Gilas lol)

I told them sige , let's just release the context, and say the Tall Blacks were not ready , (kaka training camp pal lang lol) . so that's why not many really know of the story of what happened

For Gilas it was a massive confidence builder, it showed they were competitive vs a world class team,, (there was no team in FIBA Asia at that level)

Comment

• Originally posted by naga182
                            Basketball fan girls with bikini ! see here: [URL="https://www.besto/[/URL]
                            I hear you! posting once is sufficient lol

Comment

Here is the thing, when was the last time the PBA played with two imports
                              BTW the NZ NBL allows 3 imports it's just not obvious cause alot of times 1 or 2 of them are Australian

Note this year all the Australian NBL players under contract who are Kiwi (NZ. Citizens) skipped the season., too risky to risk losing your full season contract by getting injured in a 6 week tournament.

The question of level doesn't deserve an answer, if you really considered the facts.

The 6 week Covid adjusted tournament, isn't the normal NZ NBL, it is essentially a tournament for high school seniors up to recent college graduates limited to NZ, no imports, but even with that not based on experience but just youth talent the length of these prospects and natural mobility is Legit FIBA level size, 6'2 guards, 6'5,mobile wings (not pilit converted former big forwards like Troy or Arwind) and abundance of 6'8 and above bigs (at least 3 to 4 per team), the PBA all Filipino certainly does not have that kind of FIBA like dimensions
                              We don't have 6'8 forwards yet but we seem to have a number of 6'5 combo guards already with some junior players like UP's De Liaño and Torculas, Ateneo's Lopez and Lazaro some overseas player like Lowell Briones Jr. (who i believe is as old as Kai Sotto), we also have senior players Dwight Ramos and Ken Tuffin to name a few.

Talking about Briones, I hope this kid makes it to a d1 team and eventually play for the seniors team.I think it's about time that 18-19 year old players should be given spot to play for the senior squad.

Comment

Inside story, the game vs the Tall blacks was held at the end of the Tall Blacks camp pool members ( so they litterally did not have a team yet, they had around 20 pool member gathered for camp to be trimmed down later) , so Nenad Vucinic the head coach then proposed to me that we do 6 quarters ... so all his players get to play.. I l left it open for discussion, so when Gilas eventual completed all it's tune up NZ NBL games , and last game was vs Tall Black's I asked Chot , what does he think about playing 6 quarters, by this time the Gilas team was litterally dead tired ( played 5 games already over 8 or 9 days) . so i asked Nenad can we do 4 quarters like a normal game.. he agreed.. whew..

As we were preparing for FIbA Asia , Gilas really didn't care for any scouting of the TB's , but obviously wanted to have some idea of who they were facing., so Chot asked to do an instant scouting report LOL , and present it to the team.. Chot didn't even know Corey Webster was their main scorer, he thought it was Bartlet (who he played earlier) , sabi ko , no no have to watch Corey.. I told Gabe watch and mark Reuben Ti Rangi , who was 18 yrs old then and never heard (unknown) , another unknown was 17 yr old Jack Salt ( NCAA champion with Virginia)

So the game was really intense and competitive and getting physical. in last possesion Corey had the ball and referee called a dubious foul. TB's were basically bailed out of massive embarrment , do note the local press would have killed them if they lost to Gilas, cause they were preparing to play Australia in FIBA Oceania. it would be like , you guys don't have a chance

After the game ended, BBNZ the NZ fiba federation, talked to me, about releasing news of the close door game , because it would be an embarrassment reflection of the form of the Tall blacks. ( kaya pala ng Gilas lol)

I told them sige , let's just release the context, and say the Tall Blacks were not ready , (kaka training camp pal lang lol) . so that's why not many really know of the story of what happened

For Gilas it was a massive confidence builder, it showed they were competitive vs a world class team,, (there was no team in FIBA Asia at that level)
                                i think they lost by 1 right? almost no one knew this TB-gilas close door match in 2013 except ibn members.. you step in and help them..
                                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information