This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by astigram04
    No way Cholo is a SG. He was playing mostly 4 and 3 for the baby tams. He downy have the handles nor the quickness or craftiness of a legit guard. And I don't think I underestimated him by saying he's a decent athlete. He can dunk but it's not like he dunks with ease, neither were his dunks anywhere close to that of the likes of Thirdy, kobe, manganti etc. Not even as good as that of torculas who's much younger and nowhere close to that of lopez. We may have not seen Ice dunk but that doesn't mean the kid can't. Remember, his dad could go up as well during his prime. But setting that which we don't know aside, I think it's enough to say he's the better potential since he has for size for a guard, he's already a good ball handler even at that young age, he's got the quickness and he's a natural shooter
    He was a sg/sf in Ireland before coming to the Tams and ball handling can be taught even in older ages. He’s also deceptively quick and fast watching him go up in these runs. Also he’s very athletic, he’s what’s known as a speed jumper meaning he needs to get a run up to be able to utilize his natural properties, he’s way more athletic than Manganti, I think with proper training he can surpass Ravena in terms of dunking the only one he can’t beat is Paras who is bigger and more athletic, is actually say he’s more athletic than Torculas, just needs good development and training.

I’m not saying Hontiveros isn’t athletic either, but if we are comparing dondon to Anonuevo I’d pick Anonuevo over him athletically

Comment

• 1:46 gets the steal and accelerates for a strong tomahawk slam

2:10 cuts down the middle goes up in traffic cocks it back for another strong tomahawk

He’s not as athletic as Lopez but probably the second best athlete in the UAAP jrs and depending on training with P3 he might get a little more athletic

I’ve read him being compared as a Filipino yudai baba which I’d say is similar in terms of athleticism

Comment

• Originally posted by qwertyz View Post
        I mean he already confirmed it himself that he is 6’3. Plus look at him and Dondon in their last couple of pictures. If you consider Dondon to be 6’2 then Ice is surely 6’3. Without the Afro his shoulders are a bit higher now compared to Dondon’s.

Apparently his patterning his style to French guard Killian Hayes. I also expect him to be as good of a defensive player as his Dad. They’re playing 1on1 everyday too. The fact that he could defend and score against an in-shape ex pro is pretty good.
        kahit quicker version sana nila LaMelo Ball(court awareness,passing,instincts) or D'Angelo Russel(shooting,shooting mechanics,ball handling,IQ)

Last edited by Alex07; 08-09-2020, 11:46 PM.
        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

I wonder what has happened to his handles if he indeed played SG in Ireland. Perhaps SG was the YouTube bloggers' projection of Cholo (and wasn't his actual classification) because if you're 6'4 and you aren't super athletic, you don't make much of a gilas SF prospect. Even looking at his dunk highlights that was posted here recently, I don't think that looked "very" athletic. He can dunk and he can put some power but he does not get that high. And considering that he's years older than torculas and Lopez?
          I think his combination of heft and athleticism is what makes him good at 6’4 for the sg position and he has stated he wants to work on his pg skills with EWP and he’ll be in the states for a year hoping to go D1. Again I think he has more potential athletically as well and skills wise. He has the tools just needs the skills.

Comment

• This guy and Anonuevo I don’t understand how they haven’t made any batang Gilas teams. I mean how many 6’4-5 guys with his 6’10 wingspan and athleticism playing basketball with a passport are available? Aren’t they looking at potential in the youth teams?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

This guy and Anonuevo I don’t understand how they haven’t made any batang Gilas teams. I mean how many 6’4-5 guys with his 6’10 wingspan and athleticism playing basketball with a passport are available? Aren’t they looking at potential in the youth teams?
              Guy looks like a freak of Nature.These are the type of guys we need to develop.6'5 with 6'10 wingspan,pretty close with Gabe Norwood's physical stats. The only thing is he is not athletic. He has to improve those hops and spend a lot of leg Days in the gym and of course enhance his skills as well.
              "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post

This guy and Anonuevo I don’t understand how they haven’t made any batang Gilas teams. I mean how many 6’4-5 guys with his 6’10 wingspan and athleticism playing basketball with a passport are available? Aren’t they looking at potential in the youth teams?
                Overage for for last Youth team i think...

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                  Overage for for last Youth team i think...
                  Unfortunate if true but he should still be a part of the national team program in some way. If they’re looking for lengthy wings, this guy could be developed into one, unfortunately he’s going to La salle who’s track record with the national team isn’t great. Thigh isn’t la salle getting some tall athletic filam wings and bigs? Might be able to develop as a real wing since la salle will have size next season

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                    What is his age last year? hoping also for him to grow atleast 2-3 inches for atleast a good definition of an future gilas SF...
                    19 year old last year...

Comment

• Well Derrick Pumaren has the history of playing guys according to their skill set and not on their height... In the 90s he used Teddy Monasteeio a 6-1 guy as backup PG, Swight Lago at 6-3 as SF in his La Salle Stint, Django Rivera also 6-3 as SF at Pepsi, Pasaol at SF also at UE... He is veteran enough.. Realistically who plays SF for La Salle last year? Hopefully he will be utilised as SF

Comment

• i have no idea Mugsy Bouges played for the US national team,i guess its ok to get a 6" point guard as long as he is athletic enough and had the experience playing against 7" players.

Comment

• Policarpio was listed as 16 y/o in a Slam PH article dated March 2019. Maybe he was born 2002 making him 16 turning 17 last year.

As for him not joining or being selected for the youth team, we can only guess. Maybe it has something to do with his adviser/handler/manager? Either that or there were people who didn't bother scouting for better talent after qualifying for the u17 wc.

Comment

Id say that policarpio kid, for SFs, compared to anonuevo, has more potential (just basing on that clip and of course it's not enough) because he's longer and younger. Speed and athleticism wise, perhaps currently about even. Kid also seem to be comfortable handling the ball. What we didn't see tho is if he has the touch from the outside
                            At 6'5 he should train as a point guard/shooting guard,i think guys can still grow at the age of 21 but after the age of 18, its more possible that it would be his max height. The kid is long but his athleticism is not the best we've seen.If he can't improve his vertical jump and quickness, then he better be very efficient.

Comment

But he's about the same hops and quickness as that of anonuevo and is younger yet the latter is viewed as a potential NT player
                              sumasabit pa yung dunk and yet he is already gifted with a long wingspan, if Abando had that height and wingspan, he would be very scary.Probably he will be even attract US collegiate scouts if he is that tall and lengthy. Other kids can do a better dunk than he does. I think nowadays, kids not only need to measure their height but their vertical jump as well.

Comment

• Just wanted to point out that while he missed all the dunks, with more practice and a little more training he could actually be hit all of them, again he’s a better athlete than people think.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information