This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cocoy Martin
    I blame the absence of a clear cut player and team development program on the part of SBP

There have been quite a number of players who had the potential to be successful internationally that have been wasted because they were left to their own devices.

Net Flix is currently showing Tony Parker's story, where he, Boris Diaw and Ronnie Turiaf among others attended INSEP to become elite basketball players - result France won the FIBA Euro Cup in 2000 beating host Croatia.

Australia also has the AIS serving the same purpose - to produce elite athletes following a specified blue print.

However in the Philippines a young prospect has to stick it out with a high school or college team most of which have limited resources for player development and archaic training programs.

Just imagine if the Philippines also had a school for athletically gifted individuals - it has one for those gifted in the arts, in Makiling in Laguna - but none for athletes.
    Yep, I think this is pretty much it. And we're kinda seeing it again now with Kai's decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
      Lets just hope this crop of players continues to play together. Most of them are joining the draft. Please keep them out of SMC's hands..

Parks attitude has been suspect for me. If he plays then good if not then we have other more suitable candidates we can use.
      Yeah, hope these kids continue to develop chemistry and familiarity with the system. Hopefully, more talents, especially younger than these guys, will be added to the group as well as time goes on.

If some don't pan out, hope we find capable (and maybe better) replacements.

Comment

• SMC is the bane and curse for our National team. just plain selfish and greedy. Many of our recent setbacks of our NT is because of SMC'S selfishness

Comment

• Originally posted by shamuibilog View Post
          SMC is the bane and curse for our National team. just plain selfish and greedy. Many of our recent setbacks of our NT is because of SMC'S selfishness
          In fairness to San Miguel, I think the San Miguel in the 80's, 90's & 2000's was a good organization in the PBA. Though I'm not a Danding Cojuangco fan (becoz he was a Marcos crony), it can't be denied that Danding really contributed a lot to Philippine basketball. SMC used to be a pillar of Philippine basketball.

Things changed in the 2010's when Ramon S. Ang took over from the Cojuangcos. While Danding was a businessman, he was also a sportsman with a deep passion for basketball, Phi basketball in particular. I see Ramon S. Ang as purely a businessman.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Eh it still looks like as if long hair is pulling the strings and long hair has grudges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
              Eh it still looks like as if long hair is pulling the strings and long hair has grudges.
              He's screwing Philippine basketball up the ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                In fairness to San Miguel, I think the San Miguel in the 80's, 90's & 2000's was a good organization in the PBA. Though I'm not a Danding Cojuangco fan (becoz he was a Marcos crony), it can't be denied that Danding really contributed a lot to Philippine basketball. SMC used to be a pillar of Philippine basketball.

Things changed in the 2010's when Ramon S. Ang took over from the Cojuangcos. While Danding was a businessman, he was also a sportsman with a deep passion for basketball, Phi basketball in particular. I see Ramon S. Ang as purely a businessman.
                this is why i dont like Chua and dont really have anything against RSA. he doesnt seem to be hands on with any of the PBA teams unlike the other owners.
                WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by k3ttch View Post
                  He's screwing Philippine basketball up the ass.
                  he sets his priority straight. his mission is to keep the smc teams winning. thats his job. cant fault him for doing his job. the bonuses he gets when one of the three team wins championshps will make you salivate.
                  The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• I mean Gilas is Controlled and owned by Rival Company.

Sometimes they lend SOME players though.

But yes, Chua is really not after Gilas success

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuck View Post
                      There’s already another gilas pg otw to the b league
                      Originally posted by dubidub View Post
                      Oh really? Who? I assume it's not Juan or Matt.
                      Originally posted by paulrenzo View Post
                      Wasn't Tuck referring to Tungcab?
                      It's not Tungcab, since he just declared for the draft.

Hopefully this PG is one of the cadets.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                        I mean Gilas is Controlled and owned by Rival Company.

Sometimes they lend SOME players though.

But yes, Chua is really not after Gilas success
                        there were rumors before that Long Hair and SMC wanted to take over SBP, I wonder what would happen if Long Hair becomes the chairman of SBP? hmm

Comment

• I saw some highlights of the Raps Kings game earlier. Watanabe played well. I think Kobe should try to emulate this guy. Not too fancy with his dribbling but very active and moves well without the ball. Shot some open 3s too

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                            there were rumors before that Long Hair and SMC wanted to take over SBP, I wonder what would happen if Long Hair becomes the chairman of SBP? hmm
                            Long hair will appoint Abby Poblador as his SAP.
                            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikatrix View Post
                              Eh it still looks like as if long hair is pulling the strings and long hair has grudges.
                              Buti pa si romy diaz, gusto ng pumapalag. Smc happy with just getting its way in the PBA.
                              WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
                              SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
                                I saw some highlights of the Raps Kings game earlier. Watanabe played well. I think Kobe should try to emulate this guy. Not too fancy with his dribbling but very active and moves well without the ball. Shot some open 3s too
                                Yuta Watanabe did enough to polish his ball handling & shooting. He knew those basic aspects are far more important than athleticism.

The same could not be said about Kobe who seem to rely mainly on athleticism in his game.

I think some 4 years ago, most of us here expected Kobe to become a better player than Watanabe would. It turns out the exact opposite happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information