This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
    There are other ways of being dominant outside from scoring, look Rudy Gobert is an All star... with our abundance of perimeter scorers - Clarkson, CJ etc I think predominately Gilas will get most of it's scoring still from the perimeter
    Yes you're right. But I'm thinking of a Kouame with some scorer mentality whenever Kai isn't available for Gilas in certain tournaments/windows. Besides, as I've implied, I'm not expecting Kouame naman to deliver 15+ pts. per game stats. Just 8 to 12 pts./game stat line would be good.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post
      Same reason I consider guys like Pingris, Norwood, and maybe even Scottie Thompson (although fans do tend to overrate him, including myself, as he's my favorite player) and Chris Ross stars. They're game-changers with regards to the the other things, especially defense (except for Scottie).
      Hmm not really overrate maybe over valued for what they really are? Good quality role players.

Comment

• ^ their basically glue guys. All championship teams have one, but you don’t necessarily build a team around one.

Comment

I think the same thing. Let's hope he pans out in both areas, and can be at least a decent defender while doing it. While under the right coach, he may become an asset as a 4 or a small-ball 5 in the PBA, I hope he can play abroad after his UP career.

Hope more guys with his size get the versatility to play both inside and out.
          Speaking of bigger guys with the versatility to play inside and out, here's a breakdown of Justine Baltazar:

Comment

Speaking of bigger guys with the versatility to play inside and out, here's a breakdown of Justine Baltazar:

I think the closest Baltazar is to being a wing of some sort is he converts himself to being a small ball-4. I don't see him becoming a 3. Not even a combo forward. He simply doesn't have to laterals & handles to play as a wing. And I think its late na for him to learn wing skills.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Balti-- more of a mobile versatile 4 .. like the Morris brothers ...

Comment

• Wow. Lets judge when we see Baltazar playing the latest already.

If he can be a Wing. Great.

If he can only be a Mobile 4. Then still good. Those are needed in National Teams

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                  I think the closest Baltazar is to being a wing of some sort is he converts himself to being a small ball-4. I don't see him becoming a 3. Not even a combo forward. He simply doesn't have to laterals & handles to play as a wing. And I think its late na for him to learn wing skills.
                  Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                  Balti-- more of a mobile versatile 4 .. like the Morris brothers ...
                  Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                  Wow. Lets judge when we see Baltazar playing the latest already.

If he can be a Wing. Great.

If he can only be a Mobile 4. Then still good. Those are needed in National Teams
                  Frankly, I'll take a 6'8" mobile versatile small-ball big who can play either 4 or 5. That kind of guy should be the general rule anyway when it comes to developing bigs. Develop them to be more mobile than strong.

In fact, since we're undersized, we have to get every player to develop skills from the perimeter. In the early years, might as well play a system where everyone can practice every skill.

Comment

Frankly, I'll take a 6'8" mobile versatile small-ball big who can play either 4 or 5. That kind of guy should be the general rule anyway when it comes to developing bigs. Develop them to be more mobile than strong.

In fact, since we're undersized, we have to get every player to develop skills from the perimeter. In the early years, might as well play a system where everyone can practice every skill.
                    They don’t have to be mutually exclusive, you need a certain level of strength and also depending on what needs to be strong like your core, what I think you are talking about is getting big. It depends on the pba it makes sense since if you are going to be hanging down low you’ll need to get big so you can throw some weight around. If you play more perimeter it’s not as necessary. For Balthazar it might not make sense since he’s clearly not the type to bang down low but a Junmar might struggle more down low at a lower weight having to go up against bigger guys

This guy also talks about basketball strength and the difference between gym strength and basketball strong

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                      They don’t have to be mutually exclusive, you need a certain level of strength and also depending on what needs to be strong like your core, what I think you are talking about is getting big. It depends on the pba it makes sense since if you are going to be hanging down low you’ll need to get big so you can throw some weight around. If you play more perimeter it’s not as necessary. For Balthazar it might not make sense since he’s clearly not the type to bang down low but a Junmar might struggle more down low at a lower weight having to go up against bigger guys
                      Thanks for the correction, it's more about getting big. Yeah, a perimeter-oriented big (6'7"-6'8") as the main player has to win something in the PBA, or maybe the collegiate league for the coaches there to consider the idea of mobility over size.

Comment

• While the modern game has become a guard & wingmen-oriented game in which big men/centers no longer score that much, I think it is still a plus having at least one big man who is a natural scorer.

I believe having a Christian Standhardinger in Gilas during the 2018 Asian Games was a significant factor that enabled us to compete (though we lost) against Korea & China. Of course, its a given that Jordan Clarkson was Gilas' best player during that tournament & that Stanley Pringle was also a vital component of the team. But I think without CStand's inside firepower, Gilas would not have competed that well against China & Korea. Gilas other bigs like Erram, Belga or the aging Taulava won't cut it.

That is why I believe, Ange Kouame being developed as a reliable scorer for Gilas, specially during instances where Kai won't be available, would be a significant plus for Gilas. As I've said, Kouame doesn't need to average like 15+ pts./game. Just registering stats line like 9 to 12 pts./game would be significant.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                          spoken to Mason and family, (he's part of our NBTC team ) and Tab.. and we've got a good idea of what we're looking for him to look like, (essentailly combo forward, call it swing or whatever...) , Mason's stroke is a beauty , he's got a basketball mind, reads well. has good size and length (easily 6'7') he's not athetic for world standards.. so Ingles comes to mind.,.. having said that we're still working on his motor... just being a good all around conditioned athlete

He's coached by Mika Vukona (nZ great) , and i asked Pero (NZ coach to guide) , his situation in Queensland cannot be replicated in Manila.. especially now..

There is a reason why he's in the New Zealand team (my team) and not the Australian team in NBTC, his parents are actually Kiwi..
                          Queensland stats in many ways is NZ's hotbet of kiwi players
                          -------------------
                          Yeah I agree he ain't that athletic I think he is perfect fit for a #4 position not a #3.He shoots well and has a good built. Do you mean he will be part of the kiwi team? Did it meant he won't be playing for batang gilas anymore?....I really wanted to see him help Kai Sotto carry our flag this U19. This will be the last year of Kai Sotto to showcase his improvement . This will be the last time in ten years that we will have a 7ft3 guy in the youth team. I hope SBP will take advantage of this era to improve our international standing in the world scene.

Comment

• No Mason is committed to Batang Gilas

Just arranging coaching support development for him, nothing more.

I kind of look after playes Gilas identified in this part of the world and have been fortunate to have a network for support

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                              This is what we pray Lebron Lopez to be, be at least 6'7-6'8 but this Watanabe guy is very long.One thing Watanabe can't do is to post up specially stronger bigger guys.This guy needs to be guarded by a 6'7 Lebron Lopez on the perimeter and be posted up by a stronger AJ Edu on the offensive end and probably get a couple of fouls to take him out of the game.
                              We can forget about China & Iran, Japan will be the team to beat in the future.As much as we have talented players like Edu, Sotto , Tamayo Idefonso , Panopio and Lopez. Japan will be a powerhouse in the coming future. They have Watanabe, yuda Baba,yuki togashi and Rui hatchimura. They were able to defeat Australia at palagay ko NewZealand ay yuyuko din sa kanila.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                While the modern game has become a guard & wingmen-oriented game in which big men/centers no longer score that much, I think it is still a plus having at least one big man who is a natural scorer.

I believe having a Christian Standhardinger in Gilas during the 2018 Asian Games was a significant factor that enabled us to compete (though we lost) against Korea & China. Of course, its a given that Jordan Clarkson was Gilas' best player during that tournament & that Stanley Pringle was also a vital component of the team. But I think without CStand's inside firepower, Gilas would not have competed that well against China & Korea. Gilas other bigs like Erram, Belga or the aging Taulava won't cut it.

That is why I believe, Ange Kouame being developed as a reliable scorer for Gilas, specially during instances where Kai won't be available, would be a significant plus for Gilas. As I've said, Kouame doesn't need to average like 15+ pts./game. Just registering stats line like 9 to 12 pts./game would be significant.
                                Of course, Mobile Scorer Bigs will always be valuable.

Spain just won against Argentina last world cup. Spain Bigs dominated that.

Di naman pwede puro guards and wings lang. You still need a quality big.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information