No announcement yet.

All Purpose FIBA World Cup Wild Card Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homie if it was based on results there would be no such thing as a wildcard in the first place

It's about money...

Turkey didn't deserve it on the field but I would still love to see us in this championship
    THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

• I think China is already with ticket, 1 from America could be Canada or Brasil and 2 from Europe Russia and the other one between Italy, Greece and Turkey.
      Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
      16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
      Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
      8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

• Italy is officially out of the race... Our federation head-man, Petrucci, today said the request from FIBA is not ethically acceptable by us in this particular economy moment (he also added it's not fair and that FIBA should look more at the ranking, etc)... Summarized, the wild card system needs 830.000 Euros just to enter the race (with no guarantee, so you could lose that money for nothing) and then the higher bid between the countries involved wins...

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxicity View Post
          Italy is officially out of the race... Our federation head-man, Petrucci, today said the request from FIBA is not ethically acceptable by us in this particular economy moment (he also added it's not fair and that FIBA should look more at the ranking, etc)... Summarized, the wild card system needs 830.000 Euros just to enter the race (with no guarantee, so you could lose that money for nothing) and then the higher bid between the countries involved wins...
          Good for Italy. FIBA is a disgusting organization. Personally I will boycott the tournament.
          Apparently, Vasilakopoulos, the president of the Greek basketball federation paid that amount while unemployment in Greece is 30%.
          http://basketballfuture.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxicity View Post
            Italy is officially out of the race... Our federation head-man, Petrucci, today said the request from FIBA is not ethically acceptable by us in this particular economy moment (he also added it's not fair and that FIBA should look more at the ranking, etc)... Summarized, the wild card system needs 830.000 Euros just to enter the race (with no guarantee, so you could lose that money for nothing) and then the higher bid between the countries involved wins...
            Fiba is behaving discusting, considering all the money they receive from eurobasket and WC TV rights (way above 50 mio € + for each) with noone really having slightest idea where that money goes to later. And after all that also selling wild card to the highest bidder... speechless. Too bad the media don't have the guts to do anything about it.

I mean, the costs of organisation are on behalf of the hosts, as far as eurobasket goes they've asked for sth. like 10 mio € fee, I don't think WC is any cheaper, while they keep the broadcasting rights along, 4 wild cards, probably up to a million + each... and please if anyone wants to object NT's get paid for anything on Fiba's behalf, they don't. National federations are even obliged to buy 100 tickets per game (?!).
            True basketball nations should kick various Luxemburgs, Andoras, Vaticans, Irelands, Switzerlands, Gibraltars and other powerhouses in their respective rears and organise their own competition for basketballs sake.
            Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 01-25-2014, 11:34 PM.
            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

• Originally posted by hagakure View Post
              Good for Italy. FIBA is a disgusting organization. Personally I will boycott the tournament.
              Apparently, Vasilakopoulos, the president of the Greek basketball federation paid that amount while unemployment in Greece is 30%.
              i agree with you , fiba is a organization caring only money, i will boycott the tournament too, how disgusting! i'm sorry for my national team but i share the pick, as well as fiba will send royalty tv so many popular people won't be able to watch the game.

Comment

• http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...1136/arti.html
                The 2014 FIBA Baskebtall World Cup will mark the last time that a system of attribution of wild cards is called into play.

Under its new system of competition and calendar which comes into effect in 2017, FIBA will ensure that the best teams qualify for the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup over the course of a qualification phase taking place over 18 months.

Comment

• Germany also has withdrawn from the wildcard application process. Probably we would have had no chance for a wildcard anyway, but paying that much money is not acceptable.
                  Last edited by bthfan; 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• Venezuela will push with the wildcard bid: http://noticiaaldia.com/2014/01/mind...-mundial-fiba/
                    Sacramento Kings
                    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• While I don't begrudge any federation willing to pay the 830,000 euros to participate, I agree with the majority opinion; in this climate of global recession and economic turmoil it's highly unethical for FIBA to ask governments/federations to pay such a high premium just to be evaluated and not guaranteed a spot. Plus, the idea of a "pay to play" system doesn't add to the competition level of the tournament. If FIBA is truly interested in elevating the level of the WC then there should be a qualification tournament so that the best, most competitive teams get in. The entire system stinks of corruption and greed, but unfortunately when there's no oversight to enormous entities like FIBA, FIFA, or the IOC, they're left to their own devices which leads to unjust policies like "pay to play". If this isn't irony: FIBA just built a swanky, brand new HQs outside Geneva (House of Basketball) last year. Meanwhile, you have some federations struggling to pay entrance fees or properly equip, train and transport teams to international tournaments. So there's plenty of coin to go around to erect a pretty glass building, yet half of your federations are struggling to meet basic needs...and you're asking for 800K just to be looked at? Wow.

Comment

• Heh, I just wanted to say: Do you know that the money does not go directly to FIBA, but to their foundation called "International Basketball Foundation" (which is still true though)? But now I've read that their new headquarter you mentioned was built by their foundation : "IBF has built and is managing FIBA's new headquarters, the 'House of Basketball' in the Swiss village of Mies, a 10-minute drive from Geneva international airport.."(http://www.ibf.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc...asketball.html). Well, I guess everyone needs a nice workplace..
                        Officially the purpose of IBF is:
                        "The IBF’s mission statement is

to promote, organise, manage, support and develop all sporting, cultural, educational and social activities for the benefit of basketball in cooperation with FIBA;
                        to support social and humanitarian development programmes through basketball;
                        to make available to institutions or organizations active in the field of basketball any infrastructure liable to assist them in their activities;
                        to provide assistance, particularly of a financial nature, for these activities;
                        to secure the resources necessary to achieve these aims."
                        according to http://www.ibf.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc...9/Mission.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                          While I don't begrudge any federation willing to pay the 830,000 euros to participate, I agree with the majority opinion; in this climate of global recession and economic turmoil it's highly unethical for FIBA to ask governments/federations to pay such a high premium just to be evaluated and not guaranteed a spot. Plus, the idea of a "pay to play" system doesn't add to the competition level of the tournament. If FIBA is truly interested in elevating the level of the WC then there should be a qualification tournament so that the best, most competitive teams get in. The entire system stinks of corruption and greed, but unfortunately when there's no oversight to enormous entities like FIBA, FIFA, or the IOC, they're left to their own devices which leads to unjust policies like "pay to play". If this isn't irony: FIBA just built a swanky, brand new HQs outside Geneva (House of Basketball) last year. Meanwhile, you have some federations struggling to pay entrance fees or properly equip, train and transport teams to international tournaments. So there's plenty of coin to go around to erect a pretty glass building, yet half of your federations are struggling to meet basic needs...and you're asking for 800K just to be looked at? Wow.
                          Money itself and the system that comes with it is unethical and stinks of corruption and greed
                          Why would this be any different?
                          The problem is at the root that started this, and that's very close to your home
                          THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

• Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
                            Money itself and the system that comes with it is unethical and stinks of corruption and greed
                            Why would this be any different?
                            The problem is at the root that started this, and that's very close to your home
                            You mean the NBA? Honest question- what does the NBA have to do with this?

Comment

• Find the Best Products To Upgrade Your Game. Get In-Depth Athletic Product Reviews & Information On How To Choose Equipment That Works For You.

“As a small Northern country we cannot deliver the same type of TV audience as some other nations, but thanks to Angry Birds, we can offer an engagement platform that no other country can match.”

I know that cards have been given months ago but I think that this is something very clever. Maybe Russia can offer lot of money and China lot of TV audience but it is very true that Finland can offer something that is modern type of marketing. It is weird that Italy and Germany gave up becouse of the money. President of Finnish federation said that Finland has not paid a single Euro to Fiba. It makes me wonder is there something behind that.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorCal View Post
                                You mean the NBA? Honest question- what does the NBA have to do with this?
                                NWA, Illuminati etc. you should've known that by now
                                In europe it's very popular to blaim US, be it for attacking a nation or lack of attack on another nation at the same time, the poverty, snowstorms, or the fact someones uncle once broke a leg climbing a ladder made by an US owned Romanian based company... or some other things that just come handy. You're the bad guys, admit it
                                Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                                That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information