Greek & Turkish surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
    That's interesting view, Victorious. but it doesn't really match well with what I personally thought.

I didn't know there was a Turcification in Ottoman time, for example (i.e., before 1920). That started in Anatolia after 1923, by official foundation of Turkish Republic, in line with nation-state ideals prevailing all over the Balkans. Ottomans on the other hand did not care what your ethnicity was. it's natural that there was a cultural influence, since we are talking about 300-600 years of occupation, but it was not a state strategy.
    [/COLOR]

Anatolian people today are a huge mix, who simply define themselves as Turkish with various backgrounds. To go beyond that is very difficult.
    Sorry for answering so late Levenspiel. I bumped into this threat accidentally.

There is documentation of Turkification in the early 19th century. The Karamanlides are an example. There are plenty of accounts as to how they changed their language during the late Ottoman period. The Ottomans speeded up the process of Turcification during that time, because as early as 1770 there were nationalist uprisings in the Balkans (mainly Greece). They were afraid these uprisings would spread into Anatolia.

What you are referring to in the 1920s is the rise of nationalism in Turkey. This goes a step further than Turcification, which is mearly the adaptation of the Turkish language and/or the Islamic religion.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Some of Greek surnames are:
      Papatonis: This one of the cooler sounding Greek names.
      Diamantopoulos: Son of Diamanto.
      Servopoulos: A descendant of a Serb.
      Angelopoulos: Comes from the name Angelos, which means angel.
      Papazoglou: Son of the priest.
      Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_name

Turkish Surnames are:
      Aydın – Enlightened or bright.
      Öztürk – Pure or Core Turk.
      Aksoy – White ancestry.
      Demir – Iron.
      Yıldırım/Şimşek – Lightning.

Source https://www.worldlastnames.com/common-greek-last-names/

Comment

Working...
      X