Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebanese National Team 2015 - Road to Rio de Janeiro 2016

what is the current roster from players to coach?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]NEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

FIBA lifts suspension, welcomes Lebanon back to Asian fold
    May 08, 2014 12:48 AM
    By Dany Abboud
    The Daily Star

FIBA Wednesday lifted the suspension on the Lebanese Basketball Federation, allowing the national teams to compete again in FIBA competitions.

Federation President Walid Nassar received the good news in a fax from FIBA’s Secretary-General Patrick Baumann Wednesday.

Baumann said that the recent amendments to the general statutes from the local federation allowed it to be welcomed back to the international governing body.

“We acknowledge with thanks the latest copy of your statutes as approved by the general assembly. And thorough review of your statutes and following the discussion held during your [Nassar’s] visit to FIBA as well as the positive opinion granted by FIBA ASIA, we are pleased to inform you that FIBA is now in a position to lift the suspension of the Lebanese Basketball Federation,” the FIBA statement read.

The end of the suspension concludes a yearlong struggle over political and judicial fallout in Lebanon, where basketball is the most popular sport.

In April, the controversy reached a turning point when all parties agreed to implement the new amendments, which were approved by FIBA in the general assembly.

“Your federation is now therefore reinstated with full rights and your teams and officials may take part in all FIBA competitions and activities,” the statement added.

FIBA banned Lebanon from international competition last July after its season was disrupted over political and judicial interference.

The men’s national team was barred from taking part in the FIBA ASIA championship in the Philippines and lost a chance to qualify for the World Championship for a fourth consecutive time.

However, Lebanese basketball can now look to turn a new leaf as the federation attempts to regain its status among the elite teams in Asia.

Their return will be marked officially during the WABA Championship, which is due to take place in Amman between May 23 and 29. The first three teams qualify to the FIBA ASIA cup [formerly known as Stankovic Cup] due to take place in China in June.

“I want to congratulate all the Lebanese people on lifting the ban,” Nassar said.

“We have a lot of work ahead of us, but this is a truly joyous moment for millions of fans of Lebanese basketball. Let us for now celebrate our return to where we really belong.”

Welcoming the return of Lebanon to the international fold, FIBA Asia President Sheikh Saud bin Ali al-Thani expressed happiness and looked forward to a brighter future for Lebanese basketball.

“ Lebanon has produced some tremendous results in the recent FIBA Asia competitions. They have proved they are a force to be reckoned with. I do believe this [the reworking of the statutes] is a great step forward in taking the sport to the next level,” he told the FIBA ASIA’s official website. “I look forward to some greatly exciting results from the Lebanese team.”

“This is great news for Lebanese basketball,” FIBA Asia Secretary-General Hagop Khajirian said.

“We were really hurt last summer so to describe our joy right now, I can’t really find words,” Lebanese star Jean Abdelnour said.

“After the ban last year, we started to fear for our futures as professionals. But fortunately, all of this is now behind us, and we’re enjoying a great league and now the return to the international scene makes it all complete,” he added.

“For the national team, like always we can only say that we have great potential and it is the duty of the federation also to work on a good plan for the team to achieve good results,” noted Abdelnour.

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Sports/B...#ixzz315xkmR00
    (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

Congratulations Lebanon,we are back on track.

Copy of Ban removal document

FIBA Ban.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rocketstar47 View Post
    what is the current roster from players to coach?
    The initial squad that was named for WABA Championship later this month included the following 23 names:

Ali Mahmoud, Rodrigue Akl, Mohammad Ibrahim, Jean Abdelnour, Amir Saoud, Nadim Saoud, Fadi al-Khatib, Hussein al-Khatib, Elie Stephan, Mazen Mneimneh, Roy Samaha, Ali Kanaan, Bassel Bawji, Charles Tabet, Philip Tabet, Bashir Ammoury, Ali Haidar, Rony Fahed, Ahmad Ibrahim, Daniel Faris, Hayk Gyokchyan, Elie Chamoun and Elie Rustom.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    The initial squad that was named for WABA Championship later this month included the following 23 names:

Ali Mahmoud, Rodrigue Akl, Mohammad Ibrahim, Jean Abdelnour, Amir Saoud, Nadim Saoud, Fadi al-Khatib, Hussein al-Khatib, Elie Stephan, Mazen Mneimneh, Roy Samaha, Ali Kanaan, Bassel Bawji, Charles Tabet, Philip Tabet, Bashir Ammoury, Ali Haidar, Rony Fahed, Ahmad Ibrahim, Daniel Faris, Hayk Gyokchyan, Elie Chamoun and Elie Rustom.
    I would have been very saddened had the ban went on for years and Fadi retired. Happy with this news. Fadi El-Khatib has been busy with crossfit training to stay in shape.
    Last edited by CKR13; 05-08-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Congrats and welcome back!!

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    I would have been very saddened had the ban went on for years and Fadi retired. Happy with this news. Fadi El-Khatib has been busy with crossfit training to stay in shape.
    yup. me too. I always love watching Fadi El Khatib.
    “Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.”
    ---- John Madden

Talking

Congrats for the lifting of the ban.

Now I want my idol to play again I can't remember his name though, plays the point and a veteran already, he's like a bulldog I love his intensity when he plays.

Edit: I got his name now, rony fahed

I remember very well that guy Rony Fahed. A very good point guard (for me better than Iran's Mehdi Kamrani) & worked well in tandem with Lebanon's No. 1 player Fadi El Khatib. For me Fahed is the best point guard to ever come out of Lebanon. Better than the shoo-in point guards of the current Lebanese NT pool- Ali Mahmoud & Rodrigue Akl. It puzzles me why Fahed is no longer considered as a candidate for the national team. Maybe it has something to do with the current NT head coach.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    I remember very well that guy Rony Fahed. A very good point guard (for me better than Iran's Mehdi Kamrani) & worked well in tandem with Lebanon's No. 1 player Fadi El Khatib. For me Fahed is the best point guard to ever come out of Lebanon. Better than the shoo-in point guards of the current Lebanese NT pool- Ali Mahmoud & Rodrigue Akl. It puzzles me why Fahed is no longer considered as a candidate for the national team. Maybe it has something to do with the current NT head coach.
    Ghassan Sarkis is the coach.
    His son is the point guard. lolers

Rony Fahed is a decent player. He survived playing against Ricky Rubio in turkey 2010.
    Darling it's better
    Down where it's wetter
    Take it from me.

- Sebastian, The Little Mermaid

Cheers Lebanon! Welcome back

Thanks guys for the supporting messages! Maraming salamat po

Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    In one of the recent interviews Fadi mentioned that he started this season on a slow note... But after rigorous training, like you mentioned, he managed to lose 7 kilos and was able to regain his top form... He is still leading all Lebanese players in scoring with an average of 22.6 ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by budz17 View Post
    Congrats for the lifting of the ban.

Now I want my idol to play again I can't remember his name though, plays the point and a veteran already, he's like a bulldog I love his intensity when he plays.

Edit: I got his name now, rony fahed
    Rony Fahed is no longer the same player he used to be... and since he isn't on the best of terms with Sarkis I don't see him coming out of retirement to join the Lebanese NT once again... Moreover there are quite a few younger players who can be able to fill his absence (Rony will be 33 in a couple of months)

Rony Fahed is no longer the same player he used to be... and since he isn't on the best of terms with Sarkis I don't see him coming out of retirement to join the Lebanese NT once again... Moreover there are quite a few younger players who can be able to fill his absence (Rony will be 33 in a couple of months)
    Finally !!!
    Good job on the unban interest by the federation!!

And welcome back to the international basketball court!!
    Long Live Lebanon !! (Except All the Corrupted Citizens and All the Politicians!!)

What a weak team
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]NEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketstar47 View Post
    What a weak team
    This is the list that was selected for the WABA tournament... You'll be surprised once you actually see what these players are capable of And i'm sure you're saying that simply because you don't even know half the players mentioned on this list

This is the list that was selected for the WABA tournament... You'll be surprised once you actually see what these players are capable of And i'm sure you're saying that simply because you don't even know half the players mentioned on this list
    Kinda agree with U. I think guys like Amir Saoud, Ali Haidar & Ahmad Ibrahim are young and promising. Add veterans Fadi El Khatib, Jean Abdel Nour, Rony Fahed & Ali Mahmoud, then Lebanon for sure won't be a push-over in Asia.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Kinda agree with U. I think guys like Amir Saoud, Ali Haidar & Ahmad Ibrahim are young and promising. Add veterans Fadi El Khatib, Jean Abdel Nour, Rony Fahed & Ali Mahmoud, then Lebanon for sure won't be a push-over in Asia.
    Rony Fahed is back
    Darling it's better
    Down where it's wetter
    Take it from me.

- Sebastian, The Little Mermaid

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast