This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
    i do think the worry is valid. If development is the goal, then playing for a losing team (with legit playing time) could have been the better option. Do you see this trend changing soon? i don't and i hope i am wrong on that one.

So maybe next year.
    this works both ways. playing on a good team lets you practice against better players. granted practice is different from actual games but this works for a true freshman who was not highly rated and has zero college ball experience. it only works against potential one and done's.

so yeah, let's give it a full season before we start getting concerned about lack of PT.

Comment

• If the transfer we're talking about is for the next season, then it's fine.

The thing I'm curious about is, why did Benjie/Kobe choose Creighton knowing that the wing position is loaded? They already know that Kobe's going to play limited minutes but chooses to stay there. Moving out this early when he could've just chose another school months ago.

Comment

• Creighton makes huge leap from #22 to #12!

OMAHA, Neb. -- Three double-digit wins over "Power 5" Conference teams last week has helped the Creighton men's basketball team vault from No. 22 to No. 12 in this week's Associated Press rankings.

Comment

• Originally posted by testmic View Post
          If the transfer we're talking about is for the next season, then it's fine.

The thing I'm curious about is, why did Benjie/Kobe choose Creighton knowing that the wing position is loaded? They already know that Kobe's going to play limited minutes but chooses to stay there. Moving out this early when he could've just chose another school months ago.
          It's hard to predict how you'll fit into the rotation. Many of us here predicted Kobe to at least be a regular to come off the bench; some even boldly predicted he will be in the starting five.

Point is Creighton is a team many of us did not expect to be this good. Point: Basketball in the US is super competitive no matter where you go.

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
          i do think the worry is valid. If development is the goal, then playing for a losing team (with legit playing time) could have been the better option. Do you see this trend changing soon? i don't and i hope i am wrong on that one.

So maybe next year.
          If Kobe really can't crack enough playing time to develop his game further then the most logical move is to transfer by the end of this year. We got a long season ahead of us so we'll see how it goes.

Personally, I think Kobe should give it until his sophomore year. By then, he would have developed his game to make his CV competitive for other schools.
          GILAS WISHLIST:
          6'8 Pingris

Comment

• The next game against Loyola will be on Sunday @ 5:30 in the morning PH Time (Saturday @ 4:30/3:30c).

Comment

• Originally posted by quasar74 View Post
              The next game against Loyola will be on Sunday @ 5:30 in the morning PH Time (Saturday @ 4:30/3:30c).
              Maybe a chance for playing time as that team is struggling.
              GILAS WISHLIST:
              6'8 Pingris

Comment

I could be wrong, but it could be ,their assessment of Kobe's level was higher than it really was. hint hint reminds me of the expectation of a team last July (look I think one of Greighton's bigs is a freshman but he get's PT, so it's not really impossible to get PT as a freshman but of course you have to be of a certain level.
                NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                  I think one of Greighton's bigs is a freshman but he get's PT, so it's not really impossible to get PT as a freshman but of course you have to be of a certain level.
                  patton (the 7ft center) redshirted last year, he's been practicing with the team for over a year now. kobe and mintz (PG) are the only true freshmen in the team and they are both getting limited garbage-time minutes.

patton was higher rated (#18 in the country) coming out of high school than mintz & paras yet he had to redshirt last year. shows you how deep the team is and is still able to land good recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by magic_chiongson View Post
                    patton (the 7ft center) redshirted last year, he's been practicing with the team for over a year now. kobe and mintz (PG) are the only true freshmen in the team and they are both getting limited garbage-time minutes.

patton was higher rated (#18 in the country) coming out of high school than mintz & paras yet he had to redshirt last year. shows you how deep the team is and is still able to land good recruits.
                    So if Kobe's party's projections is Kobe will follow Patton's path , 1 year of seasoning before getting decent PT , then him not playing is what they expected with the hope he plays decent min next year. Obviously those minutes will have to be earned , let's hope then Kobe develops like Patton did from last year to this year to justify getting the PT ( it won't be automatic)
                    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Somebody posted a link where some active NBA players came from small schools or losing teams...Kobe should go that route...

His ULTIMATE goal is NBA after all not college championship...

Sorry guys....shut up muna ako...for the mean time about Kobe transferring and what not...

Next game against Loyola, he will likely play as the team...like the other member here has said....is 'struggling'...

Hope he doesn't rush his shots this time to get points instead let the shot comes to him...

Take care....

Comment

As far as I know, his highschool coach was the one who chose Creighton for him...I think Benjie was interviewed about this...just can't remember which link sorry...Moreover, Kobe has also fell in love with the ARENA and the expensive gorgeous facilities...which is to me a bad reason to choose a school if your goal is to play right away...
                        Last edited by Anonymous123; 11-22-2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• I know I will be blasted for OT, but I think the info on how Kiwi Freshmen in the US NCAA are doing , provides some context on how though it is to get PT as a freshman , sorry for the OT, but the info does provide some context.

Tai Wynyard is at the most celebrated of those with Kentucky, though the Auckland youngster is struggling for game-time early on in John Calipari's deep squad which is ranked No 1 in the nation.

Wynyard has played just 10 minutes through the Wildcats' first four games (all big wins), and right now looks to be sitting outside the coach's main 10-man rotation.

Matt Freeman (Oklahoma) and Sam Timmins (Washington) are having more success in their freshman seasons with Freeman averaging 6.0 points and 2.3 rebounds through the Sooners' first four games (including 15 points in a win over Northwestern) and Timmins starting for the Huskies and going at 5.0 points and 4.0 rebounds through their first three outings (two wins and a loss).

Jack Salt has also worked his way into Tony Bennett's starting lineup in his sophomore season with Virginia, averaging 5.7 points and 3.7 rebounds for the 3-0 Cavaliers who are ranked seventh in AP's top-25 of the college game.

Comment

• Best part for me: 1:38 mark..

Comment

• On Creighton's current roster...

Patton and Krampelj both redshirted last year, meaning this is their official first year in the playing roster but they are sophomores in college.
                              Harrell was a redshirt freshman as well. And btw both Patton and Harrell are top 50 prospects coming out of HS.
                              Harrell and Krampej are both seeing limited minutes similar to Paras and Mintz.

On the other hand, Paras and Mintz are true freshmen like Khyri Thomas last year.
                              Imho, Paras and Mintz were not redshirted potentially because they were assessed as further along their development compared to Patton and Krampelj a year ago, and Harrell 2 years ago.
                              Now the question, was it better if they just redshirted their first year in college and grind behind the scenes without the frustrations of playing garbage minutes as opposed to be a true freshman scouring for very limited minutes praying for someone ahead of the pecking order to get injured or fall out of the coaches favor to get more than 5 minutes per game?

There is always a silver lining, and in this case, Kobe is practicing and playing with a potential top 8 team. And the opportunity to learn from these potential NBA draft picks (i.e. Watson, Foster, Patton, Thomas) is good reference for Kobe.
                              Last edited by eiji_sawakita; 11-22-2016, 11:07 PM.
                              "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone..." - Timo Cruz (Coach Carter)

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                                I could be wrong, but it could be ,their assessment of Kobe's level was higher than it really was. hint hint reminds me of the expectation of a team last July (look I think one of Greighton's bigs is a freshman but he get's PT, so it's not really impossible to get PT as a freshman but of course you have to be of a certain level.
                                You Sir are not funny, ok?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information