Page 119 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 2461

Thread: Kobe, Andre & Benjie Paras Basketball Family Thread

  1. #2361
    Senior Member reamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    23,244

    Default

    Arsalan kazemi was a wing in Iran but when he got to US, he was forced to play big in Oregon and in the nba, Christian Standhardinger was a 3 in Germany before going to Nebraska, he was forced to play 4 and 5 in Hawaii. Draymond green was a 3 and 4 in michigan state and he plays the 5 in nba and say the rest is history. it really depends on players efficiency to play a position, if its really wing for kobe then so be it...
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

  2. #2362
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jupitersa View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CN731HMhpe6/

    Kobe trying to get his Guard/Wing skills back. No offense to the Filipino trainers that worked with him before here but I think he is way better off with overseas trainers that knows how to handle players at his height. They tried and failed. Kobe regressed even more after coming back here(although distractions certainly is one of the reasons too). Take a look at the difference between the 2017 SEA games Kobe and 2020 Asia Qualifiers Kobe. He looked a lot slower, heavier and an even more inconsistent shot.
    Might be because of the pandemic.. everyone looked rusty and heavy though Kobe looked like that in UP but he's extra bad against Thailand. He didn't even take a lot of shots. Honestly a lot of people were disappointed with his skillset and maturity level sa preseason pa lang ng UP kahit they did well as a team because they're expecting more with the hype around him.

  3. #2363
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,992
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reamily View Post
    Arsalan kazemi was a wing in Iran but when he got to US, he was forced to play big in Oregon and in the nba, Christian Standhardinger was a 3 in Germany before going to Nebraska, he was forced to play 4 and 5 in Hawaii. Draymond green was a 3 and 4 in michigan state and he plays the 5 in nba and say the rest is history. it really depends on players efficiency to play a position, if its really wing for kobe then so be it...
    I don't think thats the case at all with Kobe. He played SG in his last sea games whereas this past window he played Center/PF. So, that contributed to him not playing at his best imo. Not to mention playing out of position. Also, Gilas guards were far more skilled than the 2017 guards and more athletic. Basically, it really depends on who you are playing with. But hey, it's Gilas, anyone can pretty much shine.

  4. #2364
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11,882
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jupitersa View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CN731HMhpe6/

    Kobe trying to get his Guard/Wing skills back. No offense to the Filipino trainers that worked with him before here but I think he is way better off with overseas trainers that knows how to handle players at his height. They tried and failed. Kobe regressed even more after coming back here(although distractions certainly is one of the reasons too). Take a look at the difference between the 2017 SEA games Kobe and 2020 Asia Qualifiers Kobe. He looked a lot slower, heavier and an even more inconsistent shot.
    Kobe Paras sort of regaining back his wing skills would mean improving his ball handling & outside shooting which of course would be a positive development. I think most of us here are in agreement that ball handling & shooting are the major flaws in Kobe's game.

    I say better for Kobe to train like a natural wing at East West Private even if he will end up playing as a four or perhaps a combo forward.
    Last edited by JAMSKIE; 04-22-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  5. #2365
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Kobe Paras sort of regaining back his wing skills would mean improving his ball handling & outside shooting which of course would be a positive development. I think most of us here are in agreement that ball handling & shooting are the major flaws in Kobe's game.

    I say better for Kobe to train like a natural wing at East West Private even if he will end up playing as a four or perhaps a combo forward.
    Yup, If he will improve in those departments, he will really become a good NT player.

  6. #2366
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,596
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Kobe Paras sort of regaining back his wing skills would mean improving his ball handling & outside shooting which of course would be a positive development. I think most of us here are in agreement that ball handling & shooting are the major flaws in Kobe's game.

    I say better for Kobe to train like a natural wing at East West Private even if he will end up playing as a four or perhaps a combo forward.
    Agree. Training one or 2 positions below your actual playing position is best pa rin talaga. I was happy when i saw clips of his initial training with ewp, ive never seen him do similar training focussing on perimeter footwork. It will help him get his shots off cleanly.

  7. #2367
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    Agree. Training one or 2 positions below your actual playing position is best pa rin talaga. I was happy when i saw clips of his initial training with ewp, ive never seen him do similar training focussing on perimeter footwork. It will help him get his shots off cleanly.
    Yup, that's what I am saying all along. Why Kobe don't have that kind of training here? Instead of training how to dunk, he should be training like what he is doing today.

  8. #2368
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,596
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spidey102279 View Post
    Yup, that's what I am saying all along. Why Kobe don't have that kind of training here? Instead of training how to dunk, he should be training like what he is doing today.
    Water under the bridge, i guess. At least kobe is getting the proper training moving forward.

  9. #2369
    Senior Member thatweirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spidey102279 View Post
    Yup, that's what I am saying all along. Why Kobe don't have that kind of training here? Instead of training how to dunk, he should be training like what he is doing today.
    Is there something wrong with the way they train? Or is it maybe the with the way they are used by their team? Or maybe that's just the way he plays..

  10. #2370
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,596
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Is there something wrong with the way they train? Or is it maybe the with the way they are used by their team? Or maybe that's just the way he plays..
    The way they train pros (or almost pros in kobe’s case) here in the ph are somewhat oldschool-ish. Perimeter drills are mostly one bounce pull ups, dribbling drills are passe, etc. You can see it manifest in the pba, its rare to see shooters with quick release. Almost all cant shoot on the move as they lack perimeter footwork.

  11. #2371
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    The way they train pros (or almost pros in kobe’s case) here in the ph are somewhat oldschool-ish. Perimeter drills are mostly one bounce pull ups, dribbling drills are passe, etc. You can see it manifest in the pba, its rare to see shooters with quick release. Almost all cant shoot on the move as they lack perimeter footwork.

    There was a time in the early PBA days,players who can shoot while moving was a dime a dozen,for example Francis Arnaiz,Arnie Tuadles,Atoy Co,Hubalde to name a few.

  12. #2372
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,591
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    To be fair with the likes of Kobe, and Lebron.

    If they feel their athleticism is enough to dominate, then they will over rely on it. And that is the case here.

    It is not the case in USA where a ton of players are more athletic than them.

    Dwight Ramos is mo where near as athletic as the other 2. But the consensus opinion is he is a better player than both of them right now. (Ofc Lebron is a litte younger)

  13. #2373
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11,882
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    Agree. Training one or 2 positions below your actual playing position is best pa rin talaga.
    Good point bro. It reminds me of the kind of training Cholo Anonuevo is getting in the US in which he plays some point guard role in his team. Even if Cholo ends up playing as a shooting guard or combo guard, the reps he is getting playing as point guard would make him a better 2-guard or combo guard.

    BTW, how effective do you think a Pinoy player getting around 3 months training in a basketball training institution like East West Private? I'm thinking of such set-up for guys like Tamayo, Quiambao, Raven Cortez & others. I mean, they train for 3 months every year in the US then come back here to play college ball in the Philippines.

    I think this could be an alternative for some Pinoy ballers who can't afford to enroll & play college basketball in the US. Lets face it, not everyone is like a Kai Sotto or Kobe Paras or a Dalph Panopio or a Anonuevo.
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

  14. #2374
    Senior Member Juan Lun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    679
    Country: Japan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    The way they train pros (or almost pros in kobe’s case) here in the ph are somewhat oldschool-ish. Perimeter drills are mostly one bounce pull ups, dribbling drills are passe, etc. You can see it manifest in the pba, its rare to see shooters with quick release. Almost all cant shoot on the move as they lack perimeter footwork.
    True our outside shooting is sub par, the only recent shooter that I can think of that is close to Caidic is Jeff Chan. Others like James Yap, Gary D, Pogoy are too erratic

  15. #2375
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,596
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Good point bro. It reminds me of the kind of training Cholo Anonuevo is getting in the US in which he plays some point guard role in his team. Even if Cholo ends up playing as a shooting guard or combo guard, the reps he is getting playing as point guard would make him a better 2-guard or combo guard.

    BTW, how effective do you think a Pinoy player getting around 3 months training in a basketball training institution like East West Private? I'm thinking of such set-up for guys like Tamayo, Quiambao, Raven Cortez & others. I mean, they train for 3 months every year in the US then come back here to play college ball in the Philippines.

    I think this could be an alternative for some Pinoy ballers who can't afford to enroll & play college basketball in the US. Lets face it, not everyone is like a Kai Sotto or Kobe Paras or a Dalph Panopio or a Anonuevo.
    Well it’s definitely better than the training and competition they are getting locally. 3 months of training with world class trainers and pickup ball with div 1 and div 2 players—that’s irreplaceable. Better if you can squeeze in a mini-tournament for some organized ball. 4 games in 2 weeks is plenty.

  16. #2376
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurklurk View Post
    Well it’s definitely better than the training and competition they are getting locally. 3 months of training with world class trainers and pickup ball with div 1 and div 2 players—that’s irreplaceable. Better if you can squeeze in a mini-tournament for some organized ball. 4 games in 2 weeks is plenty.
    less than a month of us training did wonders with an already old jc intal.

    imagine what 3 months can do with developing kids.

  17. #2377
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,596
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    less than a month of us training did wonders with an already old jc intal.

    imagine what 3 months can do with developing kids.
    More so if it’ll be yearly. They can gauge if they improved on their own or if they stagnate. Plus, not only can these kids develop basketball skills, but basketball connections as well.

  18. #2378
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,591
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lun View Post
    True our outside shooting is sub par, the only recent shooter that I can think of that is close to Caidic is Jeff Chan. Others like James Yap, Gary D, Pogoy are too erratic
    Pba Superstars, most of them are more of a slasher or 1 on 1 players.

    James, Gary, and Roger are streaky shooters. There are games they are hot. There are games they ate too cold. Inconsistent.

    Jimmy and Jeff and maybe Larry is our best shooters in the Gilas Program.

    Now, in the new breeds. I don't see a knockout shooters yet.

  19. #2379
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,596
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Pba Superstars, most of them are more of a slasher or 1 on 1 players.

    James, Gary, and Roger are streaky shooters. There are games they are hot. There are games they ate too cold. Inconsistent.

    Jimmy and Jeff and maybe Larry is our best shooters in the Gilas Program.

    Now, in the new breeds. I don't see a knockout shooters yet.
    gary david and pogoy = inconsistent
    Jeff chan, larry fonacier = best shooters???

    That’s a bad take. Ill be surprised if any kind of statistic can back up this claim.

  20. #2380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
    Pba Superstars, most of them are more of a slasher or 1 on 1 players.

    James, Gary, and Roger are streaky shooters. There are games they are hot. There are games they ate too cold. Inconsistent.

    Jimmy and Jeff and maybe Larry is our best shooters in the Gilas Program.

    Now, in the new breeds. I don't see a knockout shooters yet.
    RDO was also good even in WC.

    i think d current gilas pool lacks 3-pt shooting, especially as we have yet to see what bulanadi can do.

    if one or two PBA player will be loaned for 2023 WC, it should be a playmaking pg and a 3-pt specialist at d sg position.

    looking at d current pba players, ravena and bolick, and pogoy and wright tops d list still.

Page 119 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •