No announcement yet.

Maccabi Electra Tel-Aviv - 2013/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

goga, how do you think Halperin would have developed if he had stayed in Maccabi in 2008? Would he be much the same player as he is now?

Comment

Just like Goga wrote, Idan is making mistake of thinking about Yotam in terms of a leader. He's not supposed to be one in Maccabi. As I said, he can bring his basketball IQ, and experience, and play 15-20 minutes off bench. Kinda Papas or Saras for poor people.

I disagree about MTA front line. Tyus+Calathes+James are good, but we have to wait and see, which center Maccabi brings in.
      11th Commandment: You shall not say Maccabi is a mediocre team!

Comment

No, no, no, don't get me wrong. I never said or thought that Halperin is supposed to be leader or will be in the future, even though when he was in youth department people thought they are going to see another Katash because of the exaggerate hype around him. In general he is an average player, overrated in my opinion and believe me, I also saw him too many times to come to this conclusion. Also, Yotam won't be the one to settle for 15 minutes per game and I don't see him as a better player then Yogev or Moran (who is more limited then Yotam in shooting, but also has basketball IQ, great passes and he's much more of a fighter then Yotam). With Yogev and a foreign PG, I don't see where Yotam is fit in. And if he's that good, he will find a better club then FC Bayern, no??

--------------------------------------------

Maccabi announced officially that they extend Devin's contract for two more years where he'll receive around 850K USD per year. Devin is a great player, too me he was one of the best SF in the EL and in sane price. Yes he disappeared in the money time vs. Real and vs. Haifa, but last season wasn't a measure for nothing since He and James where vital for Maccbai and were irreplaceable. Hopefully we'll build a better team this season, so both Devin and James will have time to rest and perform at their best even at the end of the season. It is also good to keep the base of the team with James, Smith & Hickman, something that we didn't see in the past 3-4 years.
        5 times European champion
        50 times domestic league champion
        40 times domestic cup holders
        4 times league cup holders
        1 time Adriatic league champion
        1 time intercontinental cup holders

Comment

Originally posted by Idans10 View Post
          No, no, no, don't get me wrong. I never said or thought that Halperin is supposed to be leader or will be in the future, even though when he was in youth department people thought they are going to see another Katash because of the exaggerate hype around him. In general he is an average player, overrated in my opinion and believe me, I also saw him too many times to come to this conclusion. Also, Yotam won't be the one to settle for 15 minutes per game and I don't see him as a better player then Yogev or Moran (who is more limited then Yotam in shooting, but also has basketball IQ, great passes and he's much more of a fighter then Yotam). With Yogev and a foreign PG, I don't see where Yotam is fit in. And if he's that good, he will find a better club then FC Bayern, no??
          First, what's wrong with Bayern? They had fine project, very interesting setting. German basketball is on a rise in Europe, they do all the right things.

I don't know people thought, Halperin is not like Kattash, and never was. I understand in your opinion he's "overrated", but with all due respect Yogev and Moran are nowhere near Yotam.

Halperin is a combo, so he will fit well within both guard positions. Don't forget, with Yogev, foreigh PG, and Hickman, you have only 3 guards, and naturaly it's not enough.

Also, he's still one of the best Israel players, and with Russian law limitations, you need at least 4-5 locals on your team, and with Lior out, you need to bring somebody in.

Comment

Also, he's still one of the best Israel players, and with Russian law limitations, you need at least 4-5 locals on your team, and with Lior out, you need to bring somebody in.
            I know, this is the only reason that I would consider bringing him. but then again, Yogev, Pnini, Sylvan and several youngersters (it's about time that at least in the league Maccabi will give an opportunity to a talented player like Itay Seggev) I believe that we'll do fine.

I don't agree regarding Roth and Yogev. Today Yogev is the PG of the national team for a reason. So as I said, he less good shooter then Yotam, but he's much better then Yotam in defense, steals & rebound. He contribute in other aspects and in general I consider him better then Yotam. And again, no one said that Yotam will prefer to play only 10-15 mpg. Also, his confidence isn't exactly high in certain situations, and I'm pretty sure that it'll decrease more under Blatt.

As for the German basketball, I never said that it's bad, but in the past 20+ years it's very average. They do have good league by the way, but they don't see European cpmpetitions as their main goal and the fact is that their best achievement is to be a bottom top-16 team or once in a blue moon qualify for the top-8. If they'll improve a lot in the next few years? You or me cannot say it for sure. In the meantime they are far away from there.

Comment

Let's agree to disagree regarding Yotam

Yoav is a fighter, but this season he proved his general disability to lead a high level team. His role in the NT? I expect it to reduce, due to his regression, and Mekel's progress.

Comment

Yoav is a fighter, but this season he proved his general disability to lead a high level team. His role in the NT? I expect it to reduce, due to his regression, and Mekel's progress.
                I didn't know Yoav Saffar is still playing
                And seriously, here we agree, I don't think that Yogev can lead a top EL team but as a role player form the bench he can be very effective. as for right now, of course that Mekel considered as the best Israeli PG and I hope we'll see him continue with his ability in both Eurobasket and in the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
                  goga, how do you think Halperin would have developed if he had stayed in Maccabi in 2008? Would he be much the same player as he is now?
                  History doesn't know subjunctive.
                  Who knows? Prior to going to Greece, he has had a very strong year in Israel. I always felt, he could have performed better in a similar team but in different surroundings. Israel is a small country and if you are getting bashed from every corner, you will not want to cope with it any longer. It's not in his character to be an egoistic scorer. He could do it but he is a team player. He doesn't take the ball at the end and risk much, although we have seen it from him (vs. Real Madrid, for example). Not everyone is supposed to hoist crazy shots, not everyone has the proper chutzpah for it. But he is a high quality player, one who makes his teammates better.

I don't agree that he is Papaloukas or Saras for poor people. He is different than Papaloukas and Saras just has this killer instict that has won but also lost many games for his respective teams. Sras has a verve in him and doesn't care about what people say. Yotam does.

The hype around him in the youth department was not exaggerated but justified. He was the top European player on his position or at least one of the top few players. An awesome combo-guard who has led his team to success.

Yes, he could find a better club than Bayern for the next season. It depends on what he wants to have for himself and his family. He landed there and not Israel because of taxation.
                  German basketball is really on the rise. One of the better European league right now and financially probably the most sane and healthy one. Clubs spend what they have and don't make debts. They also don't depend on one tycoon to keep them afloat. Clubs are constantly raising their budget and luring good players there. Look at home many players from Germany went to top European Leagues or teams or to the NBA. Maccabi Tel-Aviv alone has always had American players who have risen to fame, while playing in Germany. Clubs take the domestic championship as the most important thing because it is so tough to win it and because it enables them to play internationally. But they want to take it step by step. A club like Bayern doesn't have any problems with building a 20 mio budget instantly and thus competing for the Final Four. But they want it to be a steady progress, they want to go step by step. Same for other teams. Nobody cares, where this league has been in the past 20 years. You rather have to look at the differences between then and now and where this project is heading to.

Ohayon, Hickman, a foreign PG and who is the fourth player? Landesberg? Landesberg is a SG, not an SF. But I don't know Blatt's plans for him.
                  burnstein

Comment

It seems like you just described Steve Nash...But ok, that's your opinion and I respect that. we'll probably won't agree on that one.

As for Landesberg, it's true that he is a SG but Blatt also used him as a SF last season (in the few times that he played) so I don't see any problem with it. The guy can perform as a SF, he can penetrate to the basket and he is a good shooter. I don't think that he got the chance in Maccabi that he deserved, hopefully it'll happen this season.

Comment

It seems like you just described Steve Nash...But ok, that's your opinion and I respect that. we'll probably won't agree on that one.

As for Landesberg, it's true that he is a SG but Blatt also used him as a SF last season (in the few times that he played) so I don't see any problem with it. The guy can perform as a SF, he can penetrate to the basket and he is a good shooter. I don't think that he got the chance in Maccabi that he deserved, hopefully it'll happen this season.
                      I don't know how you could decipher it from my lines. Halperin is what he is. He is not a leade who will take upon himself the responsibility in crucial moments, who will force shots, who will risk a lot. Halperin is a player who can do it all offensively but he choses to be the glue guy. He passes well, he shoots well, wheever he decides to go to the basket, he can do it. His problem is, he is not determined enough to do it on his own. But with him, the spacing of the team is better and the passing game is better, too. I have watched him sth. like 10 times with Bayern this season. At least. Not just highlights but full games. He still has it and would he have better teammates, his stats would reflect it. He was very useful and very well liked by Bayern fans, especially towards the latter stages of the season. They see very well, who the statistical leader is but who is the X-factor to make a good team better.

As to Landesberg, I surely wish him to get more chances this season. But he is not an SF. He is not tall and not physical enough, especially on defense to play the three. He has to play better defense to get PT consideration on that spot. At SG, he has also been often late. Maybe, a jump from a bad team to MTA was too big for him and he should first get significant minutes on a Eurocup team. But I believe in him. He will play better this season. Be better defensively and not so one-dimensional offensively.
                      burnstein

Comment

Originally posted by goga78 View Post
                        As to Landesberg, I surely wish him to get more chances this season. But he is not an SF.
                        Smith is guard too, so?

Comment

Originally posted by frodoborg View Post
                          Smith is guard too, so?
                          Smith is a swingman. He is heavier than Landesberg and can even play an undersized "4".
                          burnstein

Comment

As said before, it's true that Landesberg is SG, but David tried him several times last season as "3". It's not the ideal position for him, but I wouldn't cancel him totally as a small forward in case that we have to use it in this position.

Comment

As said before, it's true that Landesberg is SG, but David tried him several times last season as "3". It's not the ideal position for him, but I wouldn't cancel him totally as a small forward in case that we have to use it in this position.
                              It all depends on the matchup.
                              burnstein

Comment

Originally posted by goga78 View Post
                                It all depends on the matchup.
                                mta first steps
                                -tyus a less then medicore player
                                -planninic out. ok
                                -smith confirmed . 900k for him? i would have a list of sf better than him from sanemeterio to moss
                                -ely out .ok
                                ---i prefere avoid writing something of rumors because the picture of actual moment would be a disaster actually

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information