Maccabi Electra Tel-Aviv - 2013/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
    I don't think a team needs a superstar, but a talisman type figure at point guard really helps and maybe as maccabeo said before, having such a player and pairing them with other good shooters is a great option for a team on a budget. Basically a (reasonably) quick guard who can penetrate, run the pick and roll and who is also a bit of a crazy shooter.
    u got it

Comment

anyway here i hardly like to recomend mta thinking of d.moss. he is a marvellous player also not expensive.
      let me joke here and dream for a second. few players we could think about considering our budget mixed with our history and ambitious
      b.brown,jenkins,
      moss,sanemeterio,hairston
      davis
      p.calathes,leunen
      sure i'd like hickman ,landesberg and james stay with us

Comment

Wonder if Banchi might take Moss with him to Milano?

I think MTA could take a couple of those players. Would be interesting to see who they would replace Smith with.

Comment

Wonder if Banchi might take Moss with him to Milano?

I think MTA could take a couple of those players. Would be interesting to see who they would replace Smith with.
          i bet banchi will do all he can to get moss but mta is mta . opur tradition is a great credit for players, so is enough we want him. the problem is blatt. there s no other logical reason why mta doesnt consider moss and now even considering smith is out

Comment

I agree about Brown and the need for a scoring guard but as I said in the other thread (and goga said similar) he probably won't thrive as much as in Siena where the system really suited him. Obviously he had a lot of freedom offensively and he was surrounded by snipers on the perimeter. He is still a good option but maybe there is a scorer who is a better fit for Maccabi's system.
            surely b.brown fit for siena,while we cant say how would he fit for us. being blatt with us, we are condamned considering different kind of players, so yes, planninic would fit for blatt,but till how long we will be condamned to be under blatt's style? i think we could try brown even under if our coach is blatt. i would make a bet . somethimes is better an hard betting than a easy to predict collapse.

Comment

Planinic is a more obvious fit I suppose, especially using his height to good advantage versus smaller guards in the paint. We'll have to wait and see.
              Last edited by Jazz; 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM.

Comment

If Smith stays, Maccabi actually managed to preserve the important parts: Smith, James, Hickman - by far the best players of the last season team. I think it's the first time in many years, and this fact alone is awesome.

Now, they need to sign 3 foreigners: PG, PF, and C. Those signings will define the team.

Locals are: Ohayon (if he leaves, Roth - I like him a lot), Landesbesg, Pnini, and, hopefully, Tyus (not even close to be final, as reported). Good move would be to bring veteran Halperin.
                11th Commandment: You shall not say Maccabi is a mediocre team!

Comment

If Smith stays, Maccabi actually managed to preserve the important parts: Smith, James, Hickman - by far the best players of the last season team. I think it's the first time in many years, and this fact alone is awesome.
                  completely agree.

Now, they need to sign 3 foreigners: PG, PF, and C. Those signings will define the team.
                  The most important is to bring good C and PG. Planinic' would be awsome, Aron Jackson or B. Brown would satisfied me as well. As for C, we do not have too many options regarding how much we are willing to pay, but I wouldn't cancel the return of Hendrix, for example (not a natural C, but performed very well in this position while played in Maccabi). Milicic' is another risky option, but I think we cannot afford him same as other elite C in Europe, so matbe we'll have to look over seas at the Summer league.
                  As for the PF position, if Tyus will join us, I think it'll be enough, no need to splash the cash on this position and Tyus is a good player and not considered as a foreign. I herd that we also check the posibility to sign Pat Calathes who had a great season in Haifa, also good addition as a role player.

Good move would be to bring veteran Halperin.
                  I hope not. He already "proved" so many times that he's not an EL material, surely not a place full of pressure like Maccabi. The hype around him since he was in youth department was always high but he never justified the expectations from him. In my opinion, Roth would be much better but he will never stay in Maccabi unless he'll get more chances than last season.

PG - Planinic', Ohayon
                  SG - Hickman, Landesberg
                  SF - Smith, Pnini
                  PF - Tyus, Calathes
                  C - Proven C, James

Proven C, which means that we need to splash the cash in this position as well, because James is not a real C and can be a great backup, but we must sign C that can "sure thing" in the paint like Tomic', Krstic', Hines and I think that even Sofo can be good here even though he'll play around 20-25 minutes.
                  5 times European champion
                  50 times domestic league champion
                  40 times domestic cup holders
                  4 times league cup holders
                  1 time Adriatic league champion
                  1 time intercontinental cup holders

Comment

Originally posted by Idans10 View Post
                    The most important is to bring good C and PG. Planinic' would be awsome, Aron Jackson or B. Brown would satisfied me as well. As for C, we do not have too many options regarding how much we are willing to pay, but I wouldn't cancel the return of Hendrix, for example (not a natural C, but performed very well in this position while played in Maccabi). Milicic' is another risky option, but I think we cannot afford him same as other elite C in Europe, so matbe we'll have to look over seas at the Summer league.
                    As for the PF position, if Tyus will join us, I think it'll be enough, no need to splash the cash on this position and Tyus is a good player and not considered as a foreign. I herd that we also check the posibility to sign Pat Calathes who had a great season in Haifa, also good addition as a role player.

I hope not. He already "proved" so many times that he's not an EL material, surely not a place full of pressure like Maccabi. The hype around him since he was in youth department was always high but he never justified the expectations from him. In my opinion, Roth would be much better but he will never stay in Maccabi unless he'll get more chances than last season.

PG - Planinic', Ohayon
                    SG - Hickman, Landesberg
                    SF - Smith, Pnini
                    PF - Tyus, Calathes
                    C - Proven C, James

Proven C, which means that we need to splash the cash in this position as well, because James is not a real C and can be a great backup, but we must sign C that can "sure thing" in the paint like Tomic', Krstic', Hines and I think that even Sofo can be good here even though he'll play around 20-25 minutes.
                    I like Planinic, but don't care for B. Brown. He's a streak scorer, but a mediocre creator for others, and poor defender. Can only hope those rumors about Saras are bullshit.

I agree with you about PF position, from what I saw from Calathes, he can do. Blu-type, pared with tough defender as Tyus - may be enough.

Begic was offered to Turkish clubs, and his reported price is not completely out of reach for Maccabi.

Naturally, we disagree regarding Halperin. What do you mean: "He already "proved" so many times that he's not an EL material"??? He proved many times he is. Take for example 2007-2008 season, when Yotam and Morris took Maccabi all the way to the final game. He also had a good season in Olympiakos.

He can be great addition to the lineup, bringing a lot of basketball IQ and experience.
                    Last edited by frodoborg; 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM.
                    11th Commandment: You shall not say Maccabi is a mediocre team!

Comment

Begic was offered to Turkish clubs, and his reported price is not completely out of reach for Maccabi.
                      I don't like him, I don't think that he is too good for a top EL team despite the fact that he plays for Real and they have average players in this position and yet Begic didn't do a lot in 13 min per game. 5 pts & 3 rbs are not good enough to be C in Maccabi plus he's very limited player. As I said before, Maccabi will have to invest more then usual on PG & C positions.

Naturally, we disagree regarding Halperin. What do you mean: "He already "proved" so many times that he's not an EL material"??? He proved many times he is. Take for example 2007-2008 season, when Yotam and Morris took Maccabi all the way to the final game. He also had a good season in Olympiakos.

He can be great addition to the lineup, bringing a lot of basketball IQ and experience.
                      Yes, in that season Halperin had several good games in the top 16 but if you take his whole career in the Euroleague, the guy is clearly not at the level of top clubs. Barely played in Olympiacos (he had several of good games with them and then spent too much time on the bench) and the fact is that he was main player in club like Ljubliana and an average player in an average team like Bayern. Even in the national team his "situation" is a bit shakey. There's a reason why most of Maccabi's fans don't want to see him sign with us.

Comment

"Most" of Maccabi fans don't want to see him sign with Maccabi is simply because of predjudice. They have expected a new Micky Berkowitz in his persona but never got it. So, they could not forgive Yotam. It's their problem, not his.

His is not an average player with Bayern but a key player for them. By dar the most intelligent player surrounded by one-dimensional teammates. He baattled through injuries and has played great playoffs.

In Greece, he was stuck behind Papaloukas, Spanoulis and Teodosic who earned more than twice than him. So, who will be getting more PT in such a situation? He shined for Oly against Panathinaikos however.

For Maccabi, he had one weak season and some good years. Once, he was named to the All-EL Second Team. I think, he lost some speed defensively but he is a very valuable asset as he is very intelligent With him, everyone on the floor moves better and always gets the ball in the right position. He doesn't force things. He is a great shooter and passer. I would love to see him the a role that would somewhat exceed Burstein's lately: 15 mpg.

Begic is not what this team needs. He is expensive, not mobile enough, a just above average player. He is good for teams that need to go very tall at C once in a while. The 2nd/3rd center. Maccabi plays a different brand of basketball. Definitely not worth an investment of such a caliber in my eyes.

With James, Tyus and Calathes, I don't see Maccabi's frontline at the top of the EL. Tyus is a bench player, Calathes is a bench player. James doesn't shoot at all under Blatt and he doesn't dribble. So he better stays at C. Maccabi better makes a run at Paul Davis.

Planinic... I don't know. The eternal choker. Plus, neither he is a shooter nor is Ohayon.
                        burnstein

Comment

Well, I agree with most of your post, beside what you wrote on Halperin. The guy didn't show nothing special almost in any team that he played with. Choked so many times when he was in Yellow and in the national team. I'm sorry, the guy is not an EL material. Yes he has basketball IQ, but he is an average player who cannot lead a team to the F4 or lead any team. The guy is not a leader and it's ok. As a role player who gets 10-15 minutes, maybe. But I doubt if he would like to return to that position in Maccabi. I hate Ohayon after the stinky story with Kuban last year but in my opinion both he and Roth would be better for us than Yotam.

Comment

I guess after first market's weeks, u all are realizing how we are in big troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by maccabeo View Post
                              I guess after first market's weeks, u all are realizing how we are in big troubles.
                              blablabla
                              burnstein

Comment

Originally posted by goga78 View Post
                                blablabla
                                hahaha