Egypt National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt National Team

There is a big chance that Omar Samhan will join the Egyptian NT this summer! If that's the case then Egypt will automatically become a top contender to qualify for next years' World Championship

EGY - Samhan "all the way in" for Egypt this summer

ULM (2013 FIBA Africa Championship) - After missing out three times on the chance to play for his father’s home nation, ratiopharm ulm center Omar Samhan says he is "all the way in" on playing for Egypt at this summer’s AfroBasket in Ivory Coast.

The 24-year-old native of San Ramon, California will give the Egyptians a dominant force in the middle as well as a big man who can stretch the defense with an outside jumper.

"(The Egyptian federation) has talked a lot with my agent," said Samhan, who stands 2.10m and weighs in at 122 kilos.

"They have a new coach this year and really this is the first summer for me being all the way in and playing all the way through. I think they are pretty excited and I know I am."

Samhan also provides Egypt with a proven winner and someone with high level experience. In 2011, he helped Zalgiris Kaunas to the Baltic League and Lithuanian league titles while also playing in the Euroleague.

Samhan, whose father was born and raised in Egypt, has been close to playing for the African nation in the past.

"It's actually just been bad timing," said Samhan, who ranks third among all-time leading scorers at St Mary’s College (California), behind the Australian pair of Matt Dellavedova and Daniel Kickert.

While still at St Mary’s, Samhan said his coach Randy Bennett had asked him not to play during the summer. Then in 2011, the big man went through some preparations with the national team before the unrest broke out in the country.

"Everything was good to go but once everything started happening with the country and I had just come off the long Euroleague season, me and my agent said we should just take the time off and stay at home," he recalled.

Last season, Samhan went down with a torn ACL and missed the entire 2011-12 campaign. He was still without a job this season until February when German side Ulm brought the big man in to give them another option in the low post behind reigning BBL league MVP John Bryant.

"It's awesome. It's great to be back," said Samhan, who is also considered a great team presence with his joking demeanor.

"There was a chance I wasn't going to play this season and I was pretty upset about that. And then to not only go to a good team but to go to a contender is unbelievable. It's like a dream come true."

When asked about his expectations for Egypt this summer, Samhan said: "Just to play. It's time that we reach the top three in Africa. Eventually, our goal is to participate in the next Olympics. I think we need to make that push every year to become the best team in Africa."

"I think we can be a great team. I think there are pieces that we're still lacking that if we can get we can definitely be a threat."

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
    There is a big chance that Omar Samhan will join the Egyptian NT this summer! If that's the case then Egypt will automatically become a top contender to qualify for next years' World Championship

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...5097/arti.html
    Great to see Samhan playing again after the ACL tear he sustained last year.
    Keep running, big boy.

Comment

"Everything was good to go but once everything started happening with the country and I had just come off the long Euroleague season, me and my agent said we should just take the time off and stay at home," he recalled.
      This made me smile... Samhan got tired after playin' some 20min in ALL games combined... He could've admit that he was too lazy to come and play and instead was partyin' that summer, eating' his beloved fast food and doin' nothing. I cleary remember him taking and sharing such photos. It got my attention cause he was still player of Zalgiris by this time, he promised to work-out during summer after 1st dissapointing season, but he came for pre-season not ready, even more chubby and late for whole month!!! without proper reason for that. Obviously he was released some time later.
      He is a nice guy, but his attitude for a pro-player is just plain wrong. If I'd be Egypt NT fan, I wouldn't trust his word until I'd see him on the court in official game wearing NT shirt Hope this time he'll keep his word

Comment

EGY - Egypt's Assem Marei to stand out along AfroBasket's best

CAIRO (AfroBasket/FIBA Basketball World Cup) - This is the year for Egypt's Assem Marei to show his potential at senior level.

At least, this is the opinion of Amr Aboul-Kheir, the head coach of Egypt's men national team.

It has been four years since Marei helped Egypt win Africa U18 Championship before he went on to display his talent at the 2011 U19 FIBA World Championship held in Latvia.

From the 20 to 31 August, the 2.06 forward and his Egyptian young teammates will take on Africa big teams in the 2013 AfroBasket in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire.

With a team that averages 24 years of age, coach Aboul-Kheir insists Marei will make a big impact.

"Assem improved his game in the past few years. He is physically strong and I hope to see him playing at his best against some Africa's best players," he told FIBA.com.

At 21 years of age, Marei is a junior at the Minnesota State University.

Last season, he started all 33 games, he led the Mavericks in rebounds with 7.3 boards per games and registered seven double doubles, including a streak of three straight games.

Two years ago at the U19 World championship, Marei ranked second in rebounding behind tournament MVP and top-scorer Lithuanian Jonas Valanciunas.

Despite a tremendous contribution in that tournament, Marei's playing time dropped from 31 to 9 minutes per game when he was called up to represent Egypt men's national team at the 2011 AfroBasket in Madagascar.

Now, it is his turn, although Egypt will show up in Abidjan with a "new team" according to the team's head coach.

There is a significant number of Egyptian players in USA Colleges, but when they take on hosts Cote d'Ivoire, Algeria and Senegal in Group A of this summer's AfroBasket, Marei will be the only USA-based player on the national team roster.

Since Egypt started their preparations in early June, they participated at the Mediterranean Games, they played in the William Jones Cup and played warm up games in Qatar.

But when asked about the team's aspirations for the tournament, Aboul-Kheir says a lot of changes happened in the past few weeks that might be felt on his team's performance.

He insists they will compete, but his preparations programme has been seriously affected by the political turmoil in the country.

"Up until 22 July our preparation was running well," the former Seoul Olympian said.

"Since the political situation deteriorated in the country we stopped playing friendly games.

"My players are determined to participate in the AfroBasket, any way.

"It is going to be a big challenge to compete with such a young team, but this is a process to become stronger and better in 2015," he acknowledged.

Both teams will travel to the Afrobasket looking to make it to the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

Egypt squad for AfroBasket: Wael Badr, Mouhanad El Sabagh, Ibrahim Aboukhadra, Ibrahim Gamal, Sherif Genedi, Wael Shousha, Mouhamad El Laithy, Rami Ibrahim, Haytham Kamal, Assem Marei, Ahmad Soudanu and Anas Mouhamad
        Source: http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/14/...7/article.html

Comment

final roster

wael badr 193-pg-35
          ibrahim abo khara 186-pg-25
          mohanad elsabagh 180-pg-25
          shrief genedy 185-wing- 34
          ibrahim elgammal 188-wing-25
          yousef abo shousha 193-wing-20
          mohamed el lethy 198-wing-23
          ahmed sodany 198-post-24
          anas osama 213-post-18
          ramy ibrahim 202-post-25
          assem marei 204-post-21
          haitham kamal 207-post-26

height average 195,5 !!!
          age averag 25

Comment

Egypt surprised me, from a winless prelim round to a semifinal apperance!!!
            silver!!!

Comment

Congrats to Egypt!
              sigpic

Comment

Great for them. Its nice to see a positive story given all the turmoil going on in that country.

Comment

Congratulations to the Pharaohs.
                  Sacramento Kings
                  HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Now this is what you call a fairytale ending...

Sorry CT but Egypt is "what could have been".

Comment

CT is a strong contender for a wildcard to the fact that China is a sure wildcard entry..its because CT not just outranked China.. they are the ones who eliminated China.. They should pray Canada does qualify..
                      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Good Read about Omar Oraby and his start anew with USC.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

Anas Osama Mahmoud has committed to Louisville.

A very intriguing prospect. Just two years ago, he was listed as SF but a rapid growth spurt had Anas grow to 7'2, but his dexterity and perimeter shooting is still there. Rick Pitino described him as an "Anthony Davis" prototype.
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                            Anas Osama Mahmoud has committed to Louisville.

A very intriguing prospect. Just two years ago, he was listed as SF but a rapid growth spurt had Anas grow to 7'2, but his dexterity and perimeter shooting is still there. Rick Pitino described him as an "Anthony Davis" prototype.
                            From now till the next 10 years Egypt will have one of the best if not the best team in the African continent...And especially now that they're sending their players to play in the NCAA which wasn't that common before...

In NCAA Division I they currently have (not including Anas Mahmoud who will play there next year):
                            1) Omar Oraby (211-C-91) playing with USC (University of Southern California)
                            2) Ahmed Hamdy (206-F-93) playing with the University of Houston
                            3) Aly Ahmed (206-C-92) playing with CSU Bakersfield
                            4) Omar El Manasterley (201-F-95) playing with Jacksonville
                            5) Moustafa Abdel Latif (203-F-92) playing with Sacred Heart

and then you have some players like:
                            1) Assem Marei (206-F-92) who is one of the top players in the NCAA Division II with Minnesota State and also already one of the top players on the senior Egyptian NT who helped them qualify to this year's World Championships in Spain.
                            2) Ziad Ashmawy (198-F) playing with the District of Columbia (NCAA Division II)
                            3) Marwan Sarhan (203-F) playing with Western Oregon (NCAA Division II)

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
                              From now till the next 10 years Egypt will have one of the best if not the best team in the African continent...And especially now that they're sending their players to play in the NCAA which wasn't that common before...

In NCAA Division I they currently have (not including Anas Mahmoud who will play there next year):
                              1) Omar Oraby (211-C-91) playing with USC (University of Southern California)
                              2) Ahmed Hamdy (206-F-93) playing with the University of Houston
                              3) Aly Ahmed (206-C-92) playing with CSU Bakersfield
                              4) Omar El Manasterley (201-F-95) playing with Jacksonville
                              5) Moustafa Abdel Latif (203-F-92) playing with Sacred Heart

and then you have some players like:
                              1) Assem Marei (206-F-92) who is one of the top players in the NCAA Division II with Minnesota State and also already one of the top players on the senior Egyptian NT who helped them qualify to this year's World Championships in Spain.
                              2) Ziad Ashmawy (198-F) playing with the District of Columbia (NCAA Division II)
                              3) Marwan Sarhan (203-F) playing with Western Oregon (NCAA Division II)
                              Thanks for the additional information which are very valuable to us. Much appreciated. I think Nigeria too, has a chance to be one of the best in Africa due to them being sort of pioneers in either sending players to the NCAA or expat families in the United States. A board meeting from Nigeria's federation instilled Ayo Bakare as the technical director for long term basketball growth and the latter identified Nigerians in the NCAA as potential reinforcements for the team. I think Egypt's federation can do the same in keeping track of their player's development.
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information