Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andris Biedrins, next great international NBA center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woma
    He is really a good defender, with long arms, decent athleticism and good lateral quickness, he is very active on boards and goes hard for every rebound.
    But after watching some Warriors games, his unability to finish strong around the rim made me shakin my head many times, I've seen enough of "Andris Biedris missed 1-foot lay-up, "Andris Biedrins missed 2-foot jump hook", etc...
    He has a great situation, since Warriors guards are making some great passes inside (especially Baron Davis, if he's healthy), but he has a long way to become a contributor on offense.
    He's making huge progress and remember he's only 20 years old. His free throws, one of his problems, are already improving, and I'm sure the rest will also improve with time, and he still has plenty.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by GR8BBALL
      Wow some centers from Europe are doing such a good job!!

Krstic, Pachulia, Bezec and now Biedrins and big Z of the Cavs who's been there for a while...
      You add Bogut, Yao Ming and Anderson Varejao to the list, and it looks like international players have eight of the top ten centers in the NBA (Shaq, Zo)

Stuart
      http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
      http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
      http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart
        Originally posted by GR8BBALL
        Wow some centers from Europe are doing such a good job!!

Krstic, Pachulia, Bezec and now Biedrins and big Z of the Cavs who's been there for a while...
        You add Bogut, Yao Ming and Anderson Varejao to the list, and it looks like international players have eight of the top ten centers in the NBA (Shaq, Zo)

Stuart
        Mehmet Okur makes them 9 out of 11.

Sorry, I tried, but couldn't resist .
        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

17 points, 13 rebounds last night for Biedrins in win over Hornets.

Comment

Victory over the Kings and double-double for Biedriņš:

20 pts (7/7 FG, 6/6 FT)
            14 rebs
            (3 blocks)
            (3 assists)

Artificial Nature

Comment

Finding his way...

Another article about Biedrins from USA Today: source

Warriors' Biedrins finding his way in the NBA at tender age of 20
              OAKLAND (AP) — Until a teammate told him, Andris Biedrins had no idea he blocked three straight shots by Tim Duncan— yes, he had his way with the eight-time All-Star for San Antonio, owner of three championship rings.

Duncan and everybody else noticed Biedrins' feat, that's for sure. The impressive sequence last month showed that Golden State's 20-year-old center from Latvia is finally finding his way on the NBA scene.

"I love the kid," said Hall of Fame coach Pete Newell, who once had Biedrins in his camp for big men. "He's young. He could run and he could jump. He's really getting his game together. I'm happy to see him getting the opportunity."

New Warriors coach Don Nelson is a big reason for that. Not only has Biedrins assumed a greater role this season in Nelson's second tenure with the team, he is thriving in the Warriors' up-tempo, no-nonsense system. He has more chances to use his athleticism and quickness to create scoring opportunities and to wreak havoc on the defensive end.

Nelson believes in being patient when his young players make mistakes, as long as he knows they are going hard every possession.

"Definitely, I've got him tired," Nelson said. "I've been playing him to death."

Biedrins, in his third NBA season, is showing few signs of fatigue so far. He had the second-best shooting percentage in the league at 66.5% heading into a six-game road trip that started Friday night at Phoenix and was one of seven players on the Warriors scoring in double figures.

"He's the man for us right now," forward Mickael Pietrus said. "He plays hard, he rebounds, he runs the floor. He has a lot of confidence and you can tell Coach loves him."

Biedrins went 7-for-7 from the field and made all six of his free throws in a win over Sacramento on Tuesday night, finishing with 20 points, 14 rebounds and three assists for his ninth double-double of the season and sixth in 10 games. He's the first Warriors player to score at least 20 points without missing a shot since Chris Mullin did it on Jan. 18, 1996, against Milwaukee.

"He understands where he needs to be and really competes hard," Mike Dunleavy said. "He's really long and that causes a lot of problems for guys."

Biedrins made 6 of 7 shots on the way to 15 points in 21 minutes Thursday night in a victory over Houston, coming off the bench for only the fifth time this season as Nelson went with a bigger lineup featuring Adonal Foyle against 7-foot-6 Yao Ming.

"I think Don Nelson, the way he's playing and his style, I fit in," Biedrins said. "I'm playing more minutes and I feel better every game. I'm more and more comfortable. This year will be important for me and my game. The first two years were learning.

"I just keep doing my job."

The 6-foot-11, 230-pound Biedrins was the Warriors' first-round draft pick, 11th overall, in 2004 — and he taught himself to speak English during the six months he spent training in Los Angeles leading up to the draft. Before entering the NBA, he played professionally for two years in his native Latvia.

Biedrins is only the second Latvian to play in the NBA following Gundars Vetra, who appeared in 13 games for the Minnesota Timberwolves in 1992-93. Biedrins was the youngest player in the league during his rookie season and became the youngest to play for the Warriors when he made his NBA debut Nov. 5, 2004, against Utah.

"It was like a dream back home," he said of reaching this level. "We had nobody playing in the NBA and one player like 10 years before. It was hard to believe anybody from my hometown or my home country could play in the NBA."

Some might have wondered about his future at first. Biedrins' development his first two seasons was gradual — and he acknowledges he was among the team's worst free-throw shooters.

But Biedrins, a lanky left-hander, showed off his improved game during training camp this year. These days, he has his own repertoire of inside moves and isn't afraid to go hard to the hoop or try something new to learn what works.

Duncan has been impressed with more than Biedrins' shot-blocking ability.

"He's great in their offense," Duncan said. "His teammates are finding him right underneath the rim. He's good at finishing around the basket."

Biedrins is getting the NBA look down, too. He sports glittery diamond earrings after games while joking around with teammates in the locker room.

"I knew Andris was capable of doing things," guard Jason Richardson said. "He's doing it now. He came into the league at 17 or 18 years old and didn't know his identity. ... I expected it. I saw it in there and everybody else saw it in there."

For Biedrins, any accolades he gets are secondary to doing whatever he can to help the team. The Warriors are mired in an NBA-worst 12-year playoff drought and haven't been to the postseason since Nelson last took them there in 1994.

"He's an exceptional player and he's young," Nelson said. "I can't believe he's doing what he's doing at 20 years old. He's stepping in and making good plays. He's going to be an amazing player. I didn't think it was going to be this year."
              http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
              http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
              http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Biedrins got owned last game vs Toronto. Nesterovic was all over him in the first quarter, blocking him twice and easily scoring over him. He still has a long way to go to become a consistant player in NBA.

Comment

Last night he only played 17 minutes, did he get injured or something?
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Yes, he got injured during the game. I saw it in the NBAtv highlights. He fell on his back while trying to defend Milicic, and hurt his tail bone.
                    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Victory against the Sixers and double-double: 16 pts + 11 rebs (+ 3 steals + 1 block)
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Huge night! 20 pts + 17 rebs + 4 blocks
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

Yet another double double: 15 pts + 16 rebs (+ 1 assist + 2 blocks).
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Biedriņš returns to the double-doubles and has a career-high in rebounds: 15 pts + 18 rebs (+ 2 steals + 2 blocks).
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

21 pts + 14 rebs + 3 steals + 2 blocks in a victory over the Grizzlies.
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

After some poor games Andris returns with a double-double: 13 pts + 15 rebs (+ 1 assist + 2 steals + 1 block) in a loss against the Wizards.
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information