Kelly Olynyk now on NBA radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Olynyk now on NBA radar

After playing behind more experienced players for 2 years and redshirting last year, Gonzaga F/C Kelly Olynyk who grew up in Kamloops, BC is now Gonzaga's leading scorer at 18.1 PPG. In his last 2 games he's scored 33 and 31 points respectively. Olynyk is now projected as a late first round NBA pick this June and expect him to continue to climb if he keeps up his strong play.

Here's a good article about Olynyk's rise: Patience pays: Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk blossoms into superstar during redshirt year

Philadelphia and Chicago seem to be interested in Olynyk.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Kelly Olynyk carries rare skill set to NBA draft

CHICAGO—Basketball is evolving at precisely the right time for Kelly Olynyk, skills he worked on as a lad are now separating him from others as a young man, the versatility he developed years ago standing him in good stead for the future.
      As he and every other NBA draft eligible big man went through their paces when the league’s draft combine began here Thursday, Olynyk’s multi-faceted skill set shone through.
      At 7 feet, he didn’t look out of place at all during rebounding drills and agility exercises, but when it came time to step out and shoot jump shots, the difference between he and the others was pronounced.
      It’s as if he and his dad knew years ago that the game would begin putting a premium on being able to do all sorts of different things.
      “I grew six, seven inches in junior year of high school so I played guard my whole life growing up. So I think there’s where I got my skill set from,” he said. “My dad (Ken, the long-time head coach at the University of Toronto) coached me when I was little and always tried to force me into playing on the perimeter and get that skill set.
      “To be able to handle the ball and see the floor, shoot the ball and that kind of carried through.”
      And it could carry Olynyk to the NBA next season.
      The Gonzaga junior — he left school a year ahead of schedule but armed with is degree — is seen as a late-lottery pick in next month’s draft. If teams are looking for a prototypical stretch four, he would fit the bill and has already met with about eight teams for interviews already.
      “Different people will say (the draft eligible centres) separate ourselves different ways, I try to separate myself with skill set and basketball IQ and my versatility on the floor,” he said.
      “You see a lot of European influence coming in with bigger guys having a larger skill set, shoot the ball, handle the ball, pass the ball. I’m hoping that’ll develop into something I can do.”
      The 22-year-old resident of Kamloops could have spent another season at college and perhaps developed his game even more. But an all-American selection, his degree and the fact he led Gonzaga to the first No. 1 ranking in school history showed him it was time to go.
      And time to get an education of a different sort. While most scouts and NBA general managers are familiar with his basketball abilities, most who are considering him as a draft pick are using private interviews to learn about him as man.
      He said the questions are predictable (“they ask you a couple of questions about why you chose your school, what choices you’ve made in the past”) and he’s trying to learn as much as the people conducting the interviews are.
      “It’s different because you’ve never really had to do that before,” he said. “It’s interesting to see how different teams handle it and how different teams go about it, what they talk about and what they want to know, what they don’t want to know and how they conduct their interviews.
      “It’s kind of cool because you learn a lot about different teams in that way as well.”
      -The Star.com
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Drafted #13 by Dallas and reportedly will go to the revamping Boston team.
        aim low, score high

Comment

Kelly Olynyk with Colton Iverson.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information