Portuguese League 2006/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese League 2006/07

With 3 rounds completed for some teams, Larry Jon Smith leads the scoring table with 32.0 ppg, the best Portuguese being António Pires with 13.0 ppg.

Top rebounder is Mike Williams with 11.6 rpg, best Portuguese Élvis Évora (9.0 rpg).

Most assists per game for now go to Julian Blanks (7.5), followed by António Pires with 6.6 apg.

Benfica, Porto (-1 game) and Ovarense (-1 game) lead the league.

Tomorrow the 4th round will take place, with the rivalry clash between Porto and Benfica.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

I have a question about the Portuguese teams in fact. How come no portuguese team participates in Euro competitions this year? Not even in the FEC or FECC. What is the reasoning behind that? Have they just decided not to bother with them? Are the financial expenses outweighting the potential benefits?

I find it bizzare because 2 years ago there were 3 teams in the ULEB cup (OK, due to special circumstances, but still...) plus several others in FEC and FECC.

What changed this year?

Wouldn't it be useful for portuguese players to get some more international experience ahead of the portuguese NT's participation in the the EB next summer?

PS: Who is the fav to win the league this year?
    The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
      I have a question about the Portuguese teams in fact. How come no portuguese team participates in Euro competitions this year? Not even in the FEC or FECC. What is the reasoning behind that? Have they just decided not to bother with them? Are the financial expenses outweighting the potential benefits?

I find it bizzare because 2 years ago there were 3 teams in the ULEB cup (OK, due to special circumstances, but still...) plus several others in FEC and FECC.

What changed this year?

Wouldn't it be useful for portuguese players to get some more international experience ahead of the portuguese NT's participation in the the EB next summer?

PS: Who is the fav to win the league this year?
      That's actually a very good question to which I have no answer. Nothing was mentioned in the media about that situation, at least that I know of. I tried searching the news content of the LCB and FBP websites, but there's nothing there about the matter.
      You are right, it's always useful to play in a European competition, the players show their skills to a wider audience and get experience. I simply don't know why that didn't happen this year.

I think Ovarense will win it again this year, but Porto and Benfica are always championship contenders.
      Artificial Nature

Comment

How about Queluz? Where do they stand now? They had a fairly decent team a couple of years back. And what about Ginasio? Any chance of repeating last year's miracle?
        The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Queluz lost their first 3 games already, by only a few point difference that's true, but I don't expect that much from them, although the competition is only starting. Yeah, they had a magnificent team some years ago, but they had financial problems if I'm not mistaken.
          It was a miracle indeed last year for Ginásio, I don't expect them to repeat it though, at least not with such vigour.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

i guess we all should respect portugal after the tremndous summer the NT had (at least we israelis should).
            i wonder how's miguel minehva is doing? he changed teams this summer and i realy liked him playing with the NT. tall, smart (and young) point guard, capable of scoring from outside and driving. was great in the crunch against israel. might be a legitmate player for bigger leagues.
            anyway, how is he doing?

Comment

Yeah, Minhava is now playing for Benfica, he was in Belenenses the previous season and played also some play-off games with Cornellà in the Spanish LEB 2. He's a good disher and also a good scorer imo. He's not getting as much minutes as he used to have in Belenenses though. Check his stats up to now: http://www.lcb.pt/ligatmn/?esc=jogador&id=56
              I think he definitely has the potential to play in stronger leagues.
              Artificial Nature

Comment

4th round

Porto beat Benfica 71-68.

PORTO:
                Larry Jon Smith 17 pts + 8 rebs + 3 blocks
                Nuno Marçal 16 pts + 7 rebs
                Rodrigo Mascarenhas 10 pts + 16 rebs

BENFICA:
                Corey Benjamin 15 pts
                Ashante Johnson 14 pts + 9 rebs
                Leroy Watkins 12 pts + 3 blocks
                Miguel Minhava 9 pts + 3 assists

CAB Madeira beat Lusitânia 89-81.

CAB:
                Eric Sandin 24 pts + 9 rebs
                Marko Antonijevič 18 pts + 4 assists
                Filipe da Silva 14 pts + 7 rebs + 7 assists

LUSITÂNIA:
                Mike Williams 19 pts
                Willie Taylor 14 pts + 4 rebs
                Graham Brown 10 pts + 6 rebs
                Artificial Nature

Comment

4th round

Ovarense beat Belenenses 89-83.

BELENENSES:
                  Brian Robinson 24 pts + 7 rebs
                  Jason Robinson 16 pts + 3 rebs + 6 assists
                  Cameron Echols 16 pts + 11 rebs + 2 blocks

OVARENSE:
                  Gregory Stenpin 19 pts + 6 rebs
                  Ben Reed 19 pts + 6 assists
                  Shawn Jackson 17 pts + 12 rebs

Barreirense beat Queluz 73-66.

BARREIRENSE:
                  João Gomes 28 pts + 7 rebs + 7 steals
                  Cortney Scott 18 pts + 7 rebs
                  António Pires 13 pts + 7 assists

QUELUZ:
                  Kalu Guasco 15 pts + 5 rebs
                  Rob Kampman 11 pts + 5 rebs
                  Ike Nwankwo 10 pts + 9 rebs + 3 blocks
                  Jamie Kendrick 9 pts + 9 rebs + 2 blocks
                  Last edited by rikhardur; 11-09-2006, 03:30 PM.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

I remember when last year I was studying in Portugal, Arvydas Straupys was playing for CAB Madeira, and actually he was one of the leaders in that team, but he did't finished that season in CAB as far as I know... Maybe anyone know the reasons?
                    P.S. In daily sport newspaper "Bola" or what so ever, they were giving statistical leaders of Portuguese league, and Straupys always was in TOP3 in 3pt shooting table
                    One day the tides will turn
                    One day the fields will burn
                    One day the seas will churn
                    The fury of our maker’s hand

Comment

There were apparently disciplinary reasons for Straupis's getting cut from the team. He was not with the team for the first League Cup game because of discipline problems and then he missed the following training. I don't know where he is playing now, do you happen to know?
                      Last edited by rikhardur; 11-09-2006, 05:06 PM.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                        There were apparently disciplinary reasons for Straupis's getting cut from the team. He was not with the team for the first League Cup game because of discipline problems and then he missed the following training. I don't know where he is playing now, do you happen to know?
                        Casta SPU Nitra - Slovakian league.

Comment

Originally posted by elaj
                          Originally posted by rikhardur
                          Casta SPU Nitra - Slovakian league.
                          Hvala
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

4th round MVP

The MVP was Barreirense's 21-year-old forward João Santos with an outstanding performance against Queluz:
                            28 pts (6/6 FG, 5/7 3pt, 1/4 FT)
                            7 rebs
                            7 steals
                            2 assists
                            1 block
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

5th round

Ginásio lost to Belenenses 80-96.

GINÁSIO:
                              Ricky Woods 28 pts + 7 rebs
                              José Costa 18 pts + 4 assists
                              Jesse Smith 14 pts + 5 rebs

BELENENSES:
                              Cameron Echols 31 pts + 10 rebs
                              Jason Robinson 15 pts + 11 rebs + 5 assists
                              Diogo Carreira 14 pts + 6 assists
                              Paulo Simão 12 pts + 6 rebs + 6 assists

Ovarense beat Queluz 86-57 (!)

OVARENSE:
                              Ben Reed 14 pts + 4 assists
                              Élvis Évora 12 pts + 8 rebs
                              Gregory Stempin 11 pts + 4 rebs + 3 steals

QUELUZ:
                              Jamie Kendrick 21 pts + 7 rebs
                              Rob Kampman 10 pts + 6 rebs
                              Tiago Barreiro 3 pts + 5 rebs + 5 steals
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information