No announcement yet.

Ersan Ilyasova in the NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty interesting subject, but I agree with Turkishpower that you shouldn't make a big fuss about this if it comes to our player. Because it's just the way Turkey is, a place which is a melting pot of various ethnic backgrounds. So using "oh they aren't really Turkish anyway" argument is pretty silly in this regard, because quite frankly how many 100% Turks are there nowadays? Not that many if at all, aren't we supposedly originated from Mongolia or something and on top of that we had an empire which lasted 600 years and spread across many countries with many ethnics. There have bee4n a lot of transformation regarding the Turkic race over the years.

To stay on topic, Ersan scored 4 points last game against the Bulls. He still is playing garbage minutes, but that was expected. He needs to be patient, I think he will get his chances this year. He will be playing the Rockets tonight that means you can watch it live over Sopcast on some Chinese channel.
    ________
    Kitchen Measures
    Last edited by Spike; 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM.

Comment

There is no doubt that Turkey is a melting pot of various ethnic groups. Besides what country isn't, nowadays?

However a distinction has to be made with regard to players that were born in Turkey but have a variable ethnic background (e.g Okur, Hedo etc), and the imported players that became turks in the process (Jahovic, Parsic, Elyasova). Not that it matters, but do not mix one with the other, as they are substantially different.

The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by turkishpower
        who said I'm angry?

BTW, the important question is:

I do know Hedo's parents came from Yugoslavia. But, important questions are:
        1) Are they actually Turkish that used to live in Yugoslavia before? And then eventually decided to move to Turkey.
        2) Are they muslims? (Hedo is muslim right?)
        3) What about Mirsad and his parents?

I think they are all Turkish who lived there(For Mirsad's parents: Novi Pazar, for Hedo: Sandzak) even after the fall of Ottoman because that's where their ancestors lived...

Don't forget, even though Ottoman fell aroud 1920's, I'm sure there are still lots of Turkish people are left in eastern europe mainly because they didn't want to leave the place they were born in...
        1: In Bosnia and Sandzak nobody of the muslims declare them as turks.The most declare them as bosjnaks and also Turkoglous parents are bosjnaks. If they were turks why Turkoglou speaks such a good serbian?
        2. Yes they are muslims the same as Turkcans parents are muslims.
        3. With Mirsad it is the same thing as with Hedo only that he was born in Serbia.

But there were also turks from Turkey which setteld to the european part of the Ottoman empire. But that was more in the south (Fyrom and Bulgaria). In Fyrom still life around 4% turks and in Bulgaria i think around 10. Oktay Mahmuti is turk from Fyrom.

Don't forget, even though Ottoman fell aroud 1920's, I'm sure there are still lots of Turkish people are left in eastern europe mainly because they didn't want to leave the place they were born in...
        During world war they have do decide to go or to stay. But all of them were in danger. The other people from that countries were angry on the muslims because they cooperate with the Ottomans´s and have more rights in that time and become muslims. All of them were in danger but some decieded to stay. Why i don´t know.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
          However a distinction has to be made with regard to players that were born in Turkey but have a variable ethnic background (e.g Okur, Hedo etc), and the imported players that became turks in the process (Jahovic, Parsic, Elyasova). Not that it matters, but do not mix one with the other, as they are substantially different.

You're right, JCN. That distinction should be made. But honestly, it does not make me feel as if those players were any less Turks. I know they are not, I'm talking about the feeling. The acceptance of these players is easier not only since they all came at younger ages, but also because there are already many people around us with Albanian, Bosnian, Serbian, Georgian, etc. roots. The same would not be valid if an American or, let's say, Spanish citizen was neutralized (at the age of 20 or more). However, it becomes irritating if the number of imports increases, like critter out in a walk mentioned.

And when you see the devotion Türkcan and Kuqo brought to the game in NT matches, you cannot help but gotta love them . (Yes, knowing that both are not Turks originally). And Ersan is a little bit different, because he's Uzbek, a very close relative of us. (Yes, he's still an import ).
          Last edited by Levenspiel; 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM.
          5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal

You are right. I don't think I adequately clarified that point. Like I said, I am not against one or perhaps two naturalized players in the national team, but I personally think that we have been resorting to that practice rather excessively in the last years. Right now, there is only Kuqo and Ilyasova. In a few years, we will have 4-5 more naturalized players that are national team material. Not mid-level players like Zaza Endenladze, Nedim Dal etc. Not that I would view such players any differently from those players who were born in Turkey so long as the will to play for the Turkish national team comes from a desire on their part and so long as they are not forced(in a way) to play for Turkey. It is just that it'd be unfair to the teams that we are competing with and which don't resort to such measures. And to those countries where those players originate from.

p.s. Anyway, I apologize to the moderators for drifting off-topic again. I have a big mouth that I have difficulty controlling.
            Last edited by critter out on a walk; 11-09-2006, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Ersan is beginning to get his minutes; 3, 14 and 22 mins in the last 3 games, respectively. Promising increase. His shooting is not good at the moment, but he's slowly becoming a part of the rotation.

From NBA's official rookie notes:
              Ersan Ilyasova hit a big three and guarded Joe Johnson (successfully) down the stretch of a two-point win in Atlanta.

Comment

Ersan was in the starting five today in the loss against Indiana, 100-102.

12 points (5-6 fg, 2-2 3pt), 2 rebs, 2 steals in 24 minutes.

Apparently I'm enthusiastic about this guy.

Comment

Nice display by him. Keep it going Ersan!
                  Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

What happened vs the Suns?

We were treated to the live match on espn and although I loved the game, I felt that Ersan looked a bit lost. I realise that the NBA is completely different to the kind of games I have been used to in Europe and to watching at the WC this summer but he seemed nervous to me. Perhaps this is because he is a rookie and I haven't seen any of his other games with the Bucks so perhaps someone can fill me in on that.

BTW, as the people on the Engin/NC thread know, my family and I were incredibly lucky to meet the Turkish NT this summer so here is a picture of Ersan with my son and one with his teammates.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Unforgettable moments I'm sure HT133
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

I'm still convinced that Ersan type of game will fit in euroleague more then in the N.B.A. varstile, alot of talent but still need to fit in nba position(3) and lacks the quikness of SF's in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of SUCCESS.
                          I'm still convinced that Ersan type of game will fit in euroleague more then in the N.B.A. varstile, alot of talent but still need to fit in nba position(3) and lacks the quikness of SF's in the league.
                          I agree he could be more succesful in Euroleague, but he's always wanted to play in NBA, so I'd like to see him achieve his goals there. His defense is very good, and they like him mainly for this reason. But he needs to display his versatile game, which I couldn't witness so far unfortunately.

Bucks are in their top form these days and they're on a 6-game winning streak. Injured players are now ok, and they re-assumed their roles on the team, therefore Ersan's minutes have been reduced.

Comment

After playing a total of only 24 minutes in the last 16 games, Ilyasova played 24 minutes and scored a career-high 15 points in a loss against the Nuggets. Those are his first significant numbers after disappointing performances as a starter in late november. Note that Redd, Simmons and Villanueva DNP in Denver.

Comment

Ersan played a very good game tonight against 76ers. He was very active in every part of court in the 22 minutes he was given.

What I liked most about him was that he moved very well, managed to get open, and wanted the ball (though Bucks players thought there were 4 of them on court). He clapped his hands, even waved his arms in one occasion for about 5 secs, but Patterson preferred getting blocked twice instead of passing to wide open Ersan. And huge congratulations to his coach, Stotts, who replaced him with D. Noel who went 0-4 before fouled out in the minutes 76ers broke away.

Ersan's stats:
                              22 mins, 9 pts (4-5 fg, 1-1 ft), 4 rebs, 2 as, 2 blks

Comment

Ersan's best game so far He lead the Bucks with 22 pts (4/8 3pt) + 9 rebs (+ 1 assist + 1 steal). Way to go
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information