Please someone explain this rule to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please someone explain this rule to me

A player with a french passport is not considered a french player in the France basket leagues? unless they were born in France? if this is true how does the French player gain citizenship to be considered a french player in the France basket leagues? if he has a french passport already. please help
    thanks

It's been a couple of years since we adopted new rules which imply that our bball teams have to sign a minimum of players developed in France (with a licence from french bball federation between 13 & 21 during at least 5 years if i remmeber well).
    Which means that the so called locally trained players can be french or foreigners as long as they meet the main requisite.
    On the other hand, french players who have been developed outside (the most famous being noah obviously, even if he did have a licence in France when he was a teenager) are normally not considered as locally trained (we had exceptions though, such as evtimov brother).

Of course it also means that naturalization are pointless in this system (and that was the main purpose initially).

Comment

Raph Thank you for your help, so basically this player with the french passport that was not born in France can not be considered a french player on a roster in france? His grandparents are from france he himself was just not born there.

Comment

Correct.

If he has played for french young nt (fiba europe), he may be considered as a local player by french federation (which is the case for ilian evtimov who played for french U20 nt), otherwise the local player rule applies.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information