Thread: Why many Israeli fans hate Maccabi TA?

Question Why many Israeli fans hate Maccabi TA?

Many people hate big teams and prefer to see their defeats to small "heros". Now, I'm talking about Israeli fans who know by heart the Bible's story about David and Goliath from the school..
    We've already used to see support of "red" Hapoel's fans to any team that plays against Maccabi TA, instead of supporting Israeli representative on the top of Euroleague, but I was really surprised to see this season that even many fans of Rishon (and they're part of sporting organization Maccabi) or other small teams hate MTA so much...
    Is it jealousy to the success or something else?
    MACCABI TEL AVIV
    Belgrade 1977 Strasbourg 1981 Paris 2001 Tel Aviv 2004 Moscow 2005

Probably they just don't like jews.

Quote Originally Posted by YYY
    Probably they just don't like jews.
    What does that got to do with anything?
    Anyway think about it bro,im not a maccabi fan,im a fan on national level,but pretty simple:
    A.)Maccabi got way to many championships and cups,that no team in il can match...and poorly "MAY NEVER"(i say may for hapoal fans )never match or take.
    B.)the only true europen level team...mangmanet/money/Nokia std...etc...
    C.)All of the above makes the IL league week as hell,and with no comptitaion.

and that is why many ils hate maccabi.
    Although its not fully true.
    Il is the only nation in the world that have a national country team...its not right to say Maccabi "Tel aviv",its more Maccabi "elite" Isreal.
    When ever a maccabi game is played in europe MOST AND SORRY BUT ITS TRUE(sorry for the ones that hate maccabi in IL)all of the isrealis go with gr8 pride to see maccabi,like it is a national team game.

that is why even I as not a spcific maccabi fan am a fan...

Not that there is anything bad at a national team :P i will say and back it up any time,without maccabi there would never be a euroleague...
    The last 3 final fours would have never been sold out(most teams bring 1000-1500 max fans)...and the NBA would have never signed a deal with EL mangmanet for summer games.
    Euroleague would have lost alot of money without maccabi in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik
    Many people hate big teams and prefer to see their defeats to small "heros". Now, I'm talking about Israeli fans who know by heart the Bible's story about David and Goliath from the school..
    We've already used to see support of "red" Hapoel's fans to any team that plays against Maccabi TA, instead of supporting Israeli representative on the top of Euroleague, but I was really surprised to see this season that even many fans of Rishon (and they're part of sporting organization Maccabi) or other small teams hate MTA so much...
    Is it jealousy to the success or something else?
    I think that non-Israeli people will find your question peculiar - In greece, you don't expect Oly fans to cheer Pao in a Euroleague final, as you won't expect Real Madrid fans to support Barca in the CL finals. So why the exception here in Israel? I think your question should be the opposite: It should be - why do so many people in Israel STILL like Maccabi (specially having so few native Israeli players there). This a phenomena you won't see in any other country. There are many different answers for this question. I think that the expectations to support ANY TEAM (not on the national level) show that we are not still grown up as a country (no offense to you). On the flip side, the red fans, as much as I generally dislike their behavior, show that this country, at least in this aspect, is beginning to grow up.
    D.

Quote Originally Posted by Digdis
    I think that non-Israeli people will find your question peculiar - In greece, you don't expect Oly fans to cheer Pao in a Euroleague final, as you won't expect Real Madrid fans to support Barca in the CL finals.
    There's the difference between rivalry and hatred. Nobody expect from Hapoel fans to support Maccabi in EL, but there's the long way between not to cheer Maccabi's success and to put CSKA's pictures to club's sites or to celebrate the success of Maccabi's rivals in the streets..
    MACCABI TEL AVIV
    Belgrade 1977 Strasbourg 1981 Paris 2001 Tel Aviv 2004 Moscow 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Arik
    There's the difference between rivalry and hatred. Nobody expect from Hapoel fans to support Maccabi in EL, but there's the long way between not to cheer Maccabi's success and to put CSKA's pictures to club's sites or to celebrate the success of Maccabi's rivals in the streets..
    Frustration. Nothing more than that.
    D.

FanBoy:

First I would say that YYY was joking.

Second, as far as hating on Maccabi, I would it boils down to Maccabi's domination of the IL. Plain and simple. Just like the Yankees are hated in the U.S.'s MLB (though they don't even dominate as much). Mets fans (fellow NYers) don't root for the Yanks when they go to the WS.

Some Israelis treat Maccabi as if it were the national team, others don't care and still refuse to root for them even if in some way they are representing Israelis (and to some extent Jews).

Digdis:

It's due to Maccabi's dominance. No other country (atleast that I can think of) has there league dominated by one team. So more people will root for them to lose even if they aren't playing "their team."