Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One Speaks

From http://www.eurosport.com/basketball/...to987971.shtml

Michael Jordan said that adding European squads to the NBA was a good long-term concept, speaking at the start of his European promotional tour.

"In the long term it's a good idea," Jordan told the AFP regarding the prospect of European teams in the NBA. "The distance and the travelling would be a problem, but it's obvious that European teams are more and more competitive.

"If things continue like this, the project could very well see its day."

Jordan was in Europe for a series of youth basketball clinics and to promote his Jordan sporting gear brand in Europe for Nike.

"Basketball as a whole has progressed enormously, and one of the reasons comes from the interest the NBA is garnering in Europe," the Chicago Bulls legend said.

"European basketball has become very strong and the players have contributed a lot to the development of the game."

Last week league commissioner David Stern said that a conference of European teams is at least another ten years in the making, and depends on a city's willingness to build a $300-400 million stadium.

Jordan became part owner of his hometown Charlotte Bobcats this year and plans to have a management role similar to the one he had with the Washington Wizards as a part-owner between 2000 and 2003.

"I will not necessarily be there daily," Jordan said. "My role will be to supervise everything that has to do with basketball, to help build a team that will eventually be capable of winning the championship.

"My experience in Washington is going to help me a lot in that."

Jordan also analyzed the struggles of the highly touted American team, which only managed to win a bronze medal at last month's world championships.

"It's obvious that European players master the fundamentals better. They have taken this aspect of the game to a heightened level.

"In the United States, we're too focused on the highlight reels, dunks and dishes. It's not that we don't have the players, but putting together a team is difficult under these conditions
    ."

"But I think things are going in the right direction today."

Eurosport - J.Stahl - 18/10/2006 14:06

Yes I hope this makes my fellow Euro counterparts glee with their heads held a little higher and bigger. I myself a person of .0000000000000000001 abilities to this man also agree that Euros are better fundamentally b/c of the focus of the "highlight reel" everything I put in bold letters of Mj's statements, I agree
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Originally posted by HIGHLANDER
    Jordans comments on the Eurosport website hits the nail on the head
    They certainly do... He spotted what NBA basketball should have noted already some time ago...
    Last edited by rikhardur; 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

i agree with the god and i am really happy that these words came out from his mouth!
      http://enwsisofwn.blogspot.com/
      Live your life with basketball

P.E.O.S. - The return of the wise men!

Comment

"In the United States, we're too focused on the highlight reels, dunks and dishes. It's not that we don't have the players, but putting together a team is difficult under these conditions."
        Just guess who is the one to blame for this whole trend...

MJ has never been a team player, but rather a pleasure for the eyes for his individual skills. Unintentionally, it was him who started all this "superstar" craze among NBA players.

Comment

Originally posted by Civilis

MJ has never been a team player, but rather a pleasure for the eyes for his individual skills. Unintentionally, it was him who started all this "superstar" craze among NBA players.
          That is true, but even though implicitly it's always good to see someone recognise the flaws of what one more or less created. I take my hat off to Jordan.
          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
          Artificial Nature

Comment

M.J was a team player and was part of the best N.B.A TEAM ever in my opinion.
            Of course everyone is entitled to there own.
            Each and every player on that Bulls team of the early 90's played a key roll which was vital to the success of the team. When the clock was ticking down he would be the go to guy, usually.

On the other subject i think M.J was the one who started all this-lets see who can jump the highest type of error as you see with todays players and before him it was Dr J.
            However the team that can jump the highest or has the best crossover does
            not always win...
            As proven recently by Greece, Lithuania, Argentina...

Comment

RESPECT

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information